• Re: This isn't working

From John Larkin@21:1/5 to rhorerles@gmail.com on Sun Jan 28 10:19:39 2024
    On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:14:20 -0800 (PST), "rhor...@gmail.com" <rhorerles@gmail.com> wrote:

I want to use an EC1 rotary encoder to control a battery powered device. The EC1 sports a momentary switch, rather than an on / off switch, however, so I need to add a circuit to latch the momentary pulse. Figure 3 on this page should work: http://
    www.mosaic-industries.com/embedded-systems/microcontroller-projects/electronic-circuits/push-button-switch-turn-on/latching-toggle-power-switch.

The battery will have an output boltage between 17V and 25V, and the device can use up to 10 amperes, however, so the IRF3719 dual MOSFET suggested on that page won't quite work. Instead, I am using an FQP47P06 P-channel power MOSFET as the main
    switch and a 2N7002 N-channel MOSFET as the gate driver for the FQP47P06. I don't know why, but it isn't working, however. When the button is pushed, if the device is off, the switch properly turns on, but when the device is already on, pushing the
    button does nothing. With a 22.0 Volt battery input, pushing and holding the switch brings the voltage at the gate of the 2N7002 to 19.9 Volts, which implies a drain current of about 0.2 milliamps in the 2N7002. That sounds about right.

Looking at the scope, it takes about 150 - 200 ms for the voltage to reach this value, which also seems about right, and as expected, it takes considerably longer for the voltage at the 1uF capacitor to recover to near 0V. I am surmising the 19.9 V
    level experienced at the top of the cap is not high enough to shut off the FQP47P06. I wonder if the modification below would help?

http://siliconventures.net/images/Flashlight%20Switch%20Update.PNG

The circuit image is cropped but looks wrong. Spice it.

It technically violates the abs-max gate voltage spec of the 2N7002,
    but it would probably survive.

I recently bought a bunch of LED flashlights from Amazon. Machined and anodized, adjustable focus, single AA battery, three blink/intensity
    modes, really interesting light pattern. $3 each. How can they do
    that?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to rhorerles@gmail.com on Sun Jan 28 19:08:01 2024
    On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 18:09:13 -0800 (PST), "rhor...@gmail.com" <rhorerles@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 12:21:11?PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:14:20 -0800 (PST), Les wrote:

That is the drawing from the sim. The two lines off to the right go to other parts of the circuit that do not affect the switch.

What looks wrong?

As you noted, it doesn't turn off.

The voltage charging C4 is somewhere between 25 and 12.5. It can't
    turn off Q2.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 28 19:34:35 2024
    On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:08:01 -0800, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
    wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 18:09:13 -0800 (PST), "rhor...@gmail.com" ><rhorerles@gmail.com> wrote:

That is the drawing from the sim. The two lines off to the right go to other parts of the circuit that do not affect the switch.

What looks wrong?

turn off Q2.

Actually, the real problem is the insistance on not making proper
    3-way and 4-way connections. All those extra dots make the electrons
    get confused and discouraged.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Larkin@21:1/5 to rhorerles@gmail.com on Mon Jan 29 06:24:46 2024
    On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 01:46:55 -0800 (PST), "rhor...@gmail.com" <rhorerles@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 9:09:26?PM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
    On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 18:09:13 -0800 (PST), Les wrote:

What looks wrong?

turn off Q2.
    Yeah, it seemed... wrong somehow. So much for trusting the internet as a source.

If you fix the C4 problem, easily done, it still won't turn off if the
    (unseen) load has much capacitance. And it might still blow out the
    mosfet gates. There is so much bad electronics on the internet. Most
    of it is bad, actually.

Why not just use a toggle switch?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jan Panteltje@21:1/5 to whit3rd@gmail.com on Thu Feb 8 05:15:59 2024
    On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:08:10 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com> wrote in <17984106-3770-41cd-adcd-39d24d961e3cn@googlegroups.com>:

On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 1:04:11 AM UTC-8, rhor...@gmail.c=
    om wrote:

Um, yeah, an On / Off switch is a pretty ubiquitous sort of control. Inde= >ed, almost all implementations of switched rotary encoders employ the integ= >rated switch in that way, the fact the encoders have momentary switches not= >withstanding.

The design below seems to work pretty well, at least in the simulator. Do=
    you know of something better / simpler? Do you have any ideas for improvem=
    ent?

http://siliconventures.net/images/Flashlight%20Switch%20Circuit.PNG

Whoa, that's a lot. Couldn't you use something more HV-suitable as a swit= >ch, like
    an SCR? Two transistors and it has momentary-ON solved, and if you crowba= >r the
    SCR it turns off (yet another momentary switch can do that).
    To make a latch-like device, you can do the Eccles-Jordan thing with
    two identical transconductors cross-coupled, or the Schmitt trigger with em= >itter coupling, or
    the SCR with one NPN and one PNP.

To momentary switch, the SCR is really quite convenient, uses the load cur= >rent to keep it
    active instead of steady power-supply drain.

I do not have the original post, but for a toggle you could use a CMOS D-flipflop
    inverted Q output to the D input, switch with debounce capacitor between ground to clock input, resistor of a few hundred k to the chip's + that is
    powered from the input via a zener and resistor.
    The output can then do something like this via for example an opto-coupler
    or any other way f course.:
    https://panteltje.nl/panteltje/cb/tx_power_switch2.jpg
    Or just use a Microchip PIC.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From piglet@21:1/5 to rhor...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 11 20:59:15 2024
    On 07/02/2024 9:04 am, rhor...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 7:15:11 AM UTC-6, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
    This is much too late to be useful, but you do need to work exactly what you are trying to. The first thing that worries me is that you don't spell out how long the momentary switch closes the contact.
    At first blush, one might be inclined to ask, "How long does a finger press any button?" I think I know what you mean, however. Certainly most people pressing a button won't typically be able to reliably close a momentary switch and keep that
    contact for less than about 50 ms. It should be obvious that anyone who is not an idiot would experiment with closure times, and I am not an idiot. In the simulator, I emulated button closures as short as 1ms and as long as 10 seconds. The design to
    which I pointed, modified in order to work with the required voltages, cannot work. There may be some PFET transistors that high enough thresholds to allow them to work with voltages this high, but I know of none. Certainly I do not have any.

You then go on to say you want the same momentary switch to turn off the lamp if you press it when the lamp is on.

Um, yeah, an On / Off switch is a pretty ubiquitous sort of control. Indeed, almost all implementations of switched rotary encoders employ the integrated switch in that way, the fact the encoders have momentary switches notwithstanding.

Life gets a lot simpler if you set up micropower latch to switch between two states - lamp on and lamp off.

I am not entirely sure what you mean, here. I could use a separate SPST switch to power up the device, but that would use up more real estate on the back of the device, and real estate is quite limited. Not only that, but two separate controls for
    light power and intensity is a bit strange.

It's output can drive the transistor ( the FQP47P06 P-channel power MOSFET). If you have separate logic to treat an output from the momenetary contact as a latch toggling input - directing it to at the Set or Reset inputs to an RS latch - the design
    can be pretty straightforward.

Yes, but this only works if the logic is energized when the device is shut down, or if the logic can be waked up with the momentary switch. The latter is what I have chosen to design using discrete components.

You can buy a CMOS S/R latch, but even 4000 series CMOS has a maximum voltage rating of 18V.

Precisely. I might be able to beat the quiescent current draw using a clever power supply scheme and micropower logic, but this design uses less than 65 microamps, and that is pretty good, I think.

It isn't going to be as cheap or as simple as what you've tried, but it is designable.

The design below seems to work pretty well, at least in the simulator. Do you know of something better / simpler? Do you have any ideas for improvement?

http://siliconventures.net/images/Flashlight%20Switch%20Circuit.PNG

Your X1 complementary NPN/PNP voltage follower has the bases floating
    when the button isn't pressed, they could pickup noise.

The button current is very low and may not be enough to make good
    contact with time and corrosion, many precious metal contacts have some
    minimum operating current.

The zener D4 will almost certainly be horribly leaky at those micro-amp currents and not work the way you expect.

Here is one way of doing something similar, using a NPN/PNP latch
    triggered by a short button press but reset on an extended button press.
    The standby current is zero. The button current can be many milliamps to tolerate dirty or worn contacts. I separated the latch from the PMOS
    load switch but you might be able to combine and eliminate the PNP - I
    wasn't sure if the load had a lot of capacitance etc.

<https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bzpwmh1m6qbsw0u74ue02/SED_ON_OFF_LATCH.jpg?rlkey=b6ybeho26r0l7vd1kwk901wdf&raw=1>

piglet

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jasen Betts@21:1/5 to John Larkin on Sun Mar 3 08:16:17 2024
    On 2024-01-28, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com> wrote:
    On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:14:20 -0800 (PST), "rhor...@gmail.com"
    <rhorerles@gmail.com> wrote:

I want to use an EC1 rotary encoder to control a battery powered device. The EC1 sports a momentary switch, rather than an on / off switch, however, so I need to add a circuit to latch the momentary pulse. Figure 3 on this page should work: http://
    www.mosaic-industries.com/embedded-systems/microcontroller-projects/electronic-circuits/push-button-switch-turn-on/latching-toggle-power-switch.

The battery will have an output boltage between 17V and 25V, and the device can use up to 10 amperes, however, so the IRF3719 dual MOSFET suggested on that page won't quite work. Instead, I am using an FQP47P06 P-channel power MOSFET as the main
    switch and a 2N7002 N-channel MOSFET as the gate driver for the FQP47P06. I don't know why, but it isn't working, however. When the button is pushed, if the device is off, the switch properly turns on, but when the device is already on, pushing the
    button does nothing. With a 22.0 Volt battery input, pushing and holding the switch brings the voltage at the gate of the 2N7002 to 19.9 Volts, which implies a drain current of about 0.2 milliamps in the 2N7002. That sounds about right.

Looking at the scope, it takes about 150 - 200 ms for the voltage to reach this value, which also seems about right, and as expected, it takes considerably longer for the voltage at the 1uF capacitor to recover to near 0V. I am surmising the 19.9 V
    level experienced at the top of the cap is not high enough to shut off the FQP47P06. I wonder if the modification below would help?

It technically violates the abs-max gate voltage spec of the 2N7002,
    but it would probably survive.

I recently bought a bunch of LED flashlights from Amazon. Machined and anodized, adjustable focus, single AA battery, three blink/intensity
    modes, really interesting light pattern. $3 each. How can they do
    that?

Perhaps they buy them on Aliexpress for $2 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33020731608.html

Or to answer the implied question, the manufacturers are not buying
    their parts from Digikey.

Stick a 14500 lithium-ion cell in there instead of the AA for increased brightness. These are great for reading laser marking on ICs, also
    inspecting drywall for flatness etc.

--
    Jasen.
    🇺🇦 Слава Україні

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Arie de Muijnck@21:1/5 to Jasen Betts on Sun Mar 3 12:27:36 2024
    On 2024-03-03 09:16, Jasen Betts wrote:

Perhaps they buy them on Aliexpress for $2 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33020731608.html

Stick a 14500 lithium-ion cell in there instead of the AA for increased brightness. These are great for reading laser marking on ICs, also inspecting drywall for flatness etc.

I like this part of the ad: Emitting Color: black

Arie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phil Hobbs@21:1/5 to Arie de Muijnck on Sun Mar 3 14:28:22 2024
    Arie de Muijnck <eternal.september@ademu.com> wrote:
    On 2024-03-03 09:16, Jasen Betts wrote:

Perhaps they buy them on Aliexpress for $2
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33020731608.html

Stick a 14500 lithium-ion cell in there instead of the AA for increased
    brightness. These are great for reading laser marking on ICs, also
    inspecting drywall for flatness etc.

I like this part of the ad: Emitting Color: black

Arie

If you overdrive it enough, it becomes a Darkness-Emitting Diode (DED).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
    Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05