• Robots: the new underclass?

From erik simpson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 22 15:29:59 2023
    I've noticed that GG now requires the assertion "I'm not a robot" to post anything. Surely an artificially intelligent (sic) robot's opinions are as good
    as any other poster. Or that robot could certainly falsely assert that he isn't
    one. Equity for robots!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From *Hemidactylus*@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Thu Nov 23 00:48:21 2023
    erik simpson <eastside.erik@gmail.com> wrote:
    I've noticed that GG now requires the assertion "I'm not a robot" to post anything. Surely an artificially intelligent (sic) robot's opinions are as good
    one. Equity for robots!

Will this new threshold reduce spamming? GG seems the source for much of
    that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *Hemidactylus*@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Thu Nov 23 01:56:45 2023
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 4:51:47 PM UTC-8, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
    erik simpson <eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
    I've noticed that GG now requires the assertion "I'm not a robot" to post >>> anything. Surely an artificially intelligent (sic) robot's opinions are as good
    one. Equity for robots!

that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of >> having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic
    lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.
    That might give the robots some difficulty, depending on the quality of
    their artificial intelligence.

If their AI quality improves they might give up a career in spamming and
    make on-topic contributions on a level exceeding most of what goes on here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 22 17:12:32 2023
    one. Equity for robots!

Will this new threshold reduce spamming? GG seems the source for much of that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.
    That might give the robots some difficulty, depending on the quality of their artificial intelligence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 22 19:04:46 2023
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 6:01:47 PM UTC-8, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
    I've noticed that GG now requires the assertion "I'm not a robot" to post
    anything. Surely an artificially intelligent (sic) robot's opinions are as good
    one. Equity for robots!

Will this new threshold reduce spamming? GG seems the source for much of >> that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of
    having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic >> lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.
    That might give the robots some difficulty, depending on the quality of their artificial intelligence.

If their AI quality improves they might give up a career in spamming and make on-topic contributions on a level exceeding most of what goes on here.
    That's not a high bar.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Casanova@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 23 09:18:20 2023
    On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 01:56:45 +0000, the following appeared
    in talk.origins, posted by *Hemidactylus*
    <ecphoric@allspamis.invalid>:

On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 4:51:47?PM UTC-8, *Hemidactylus* wrote: >>> erik simpson <eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
    I've noticed that GG now requires the assertion "I'm not a robot" to post >>>> anything. Surely an artificially intelligent (sic) robot's opinions are as good
    one. Equity for robots!

Will this new threshold reduce spamming? GG seems the source for much of >>> that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of >>> having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic >>> lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.
    That might give the robots some difficulty, depending on the quality of
    their artificial intelligence.

If their AI quality improves they might give up a career in spamming and
    make on-topic contributions on a level exceeding most of what goes on here.

It might "advance" to the point of "Prove you are a robot";
    no inferior humans invited or tolerated.

I for one welcome our new robot masters!

--

Bob C.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
    the one that heralds new discoveries, is not
    'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to Bob Casanova on Thu Nov 23 08:28:06 2023
    On Thursday, November 23, 2023 at 8:21:48 AM UTC-8, Bob Casanova wrote:
    On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 01:56:45 +0000, the following appeared
    in talk.origins, posted by *Hemidactylus*
    <ecph...@allspamis.invalid>:

On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 4:51:47?PM UTC-8, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
    one. Equity for robots!

Will this new threshold reduce spamming? GG seems the source for much of >>> that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of
    having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic >>> lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.
    That might give the robots some difficulty, depending on the quality of >> their artificial intelligence.

If their AI quality improves they might give up a career in spamming and >make on-topic contributions on a level exceeding most of what goes on here.

It might "advance" to the point of "Prove you are a robot";
    no inferior humans invited or tolerated.

I for one welcome our new robot masters!

--

Bob C.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science,
    the one that heralds new discoveries, is not
    'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov
    You'd better!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Burkhard@21:1/5 to erik simpson on Thu Nov 23 10:43:22 2023
    On Thursday, November 23, 2023 at 12:31:47 AM UTC+1, erik simpson wrote:
    one. Equity for robots!

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/captcha

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From brogers31751@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 23 11:13:28 2023
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 7:51:47 PM UTC-5, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
    one. Equity for robots!
    Will this new threshold reduce spamming? GG seems the source for much of that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.

You know it's not a robot if it inevitably identifies the quote as by Confucius, Churchill, or Mark Twain.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?w5bDtiBUaWli?=@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 27 01:52:48 2023
    On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 04:01:47 UTC+2, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
    one. Equity for robots!

Will this new threshold reduce spamming? GG seems the source for much of >> that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of
    having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic >> lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.

If their AI quality improves they might give up a career in spamming and make on-topic contributions on a level exceeding most of what goes on here.

I don't think that it is anything like that. Yes AI can be trained to bypass whatever
    mechanical/animal barriers. So some scammers fool money out from idiots
    that they now spam for them using bots. But what the idiots want to be spammed? It is some nonsense. See for example <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.lisp>
    No chance that any actual person reads any of it or clicks any of those links.

It is posted like every minute clearly by bots, mostly using google groups I think.
    Google has only mechanical/animal barriers and those do not work.
    Other news services filter most of that garbage out as they have humans in charge. Google has instead blocked posting totally using gg in few groups like comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.arch ... and it has added that pointless captcha.
    What to expect from company that failed their early slogan "Don't be evil"? <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_be_evil>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From erik simpson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 27 08:18:36 2023
    On Monday, November 27, 2023 at 1:56:52 AM UTC-8, Öö Tiib wrote:
    On Thursday, 23 November 2023 at 04:01:47 UTC+2, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
    one. Equity for robots!

that. Maybe make the poster do a math problem each and every time on top of
    having them identify images containing bicycles, crosswalks, and traffic
    lights. Also identify the sources for famous quotes.

I don't think that it is anything like that. Yes AI can be trained to bypass whatever
    mechanical/animal barriers. So some scammers fool money out from idiots
    that they now spam for them using bots. But what the idiots want to be spammed?
    It is some nonsense. See for example <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.lisp>
    No chance that any actual person reads any of it or clicks any of those links.

It is posted like every minute clearly by bots, mostly using google groups I think.
    Google has only mechanical/animal barriers and those do not work.
    Other news services filter most of that garbage out as they have humans in charge. Google has instead blocked posting totally using gg in few groups like
    comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.arch ... and it has added that pointless captcha.
    What to expect from company that failed their early slogan "Don't be evil"? <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_be_evil>
    You've nailed it! Google has been evil for quite a while now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05