• The geometrical version of the barn-ladder Paradox, sans analytic geome

From patdolan@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 12:37:26 2023
    I shall attempt to teach the LTs without the use of analytic geometry. I shall use the famous barn-ladder paradox. I will also take the opportunity to demonstrate the inequality of coordinate and proper relative velocity.

When compared in the same inertial frame, a ladder is exactly twice as long as a barn. The barn has doors at either end, as usual. The ladder now acquires a velocity relative to the barn v such that gamma = 2.

Dolan is in charge of operating the automated & very quick barn doors. Jan rides the ladder at the front end with his stopwatch. Jan starts his stop watch just as he passed the first door. Dolan also starts his stopwatch at this event. As usual, once
    Dolan apprehends that the Lorentz contracted Jan & ladder just fit inside the barn, Dolan closes both doors and reads Jan's stopwatch, corrected for relativistic doppler. Dolan also reads his own stopwatch at this event.

Dolan calculates Jan's proper relative velocity in the barn's frame:

v = length of barn / Dolan's stopwatch

Dolan also watches from the barn's frame as the Lorentz contracted, time dilated Jan calculates his velocity relative to the barn--this is Jan's coordinate relative velocity from Dolan's point of view. Because gamma = 2 Jan forms the ratio

[ Dolan's stopwatch/2 ] / [ Barn's length x 2 ] = v' = 4v = v * gamma^2

"But wait!" you scream in protest "If you apply the LTs and calculate v' in Jan's frame you get v' = v. Tru dat. But the principle of relativity states that there are no privileged frames. It doesn't matter according to Einstein, whether Jan
    calculates his relative velocity in his frame or in the barn's frame where he is contracted, his watch is slow and his mind more slothful than usual.

Except it does matter! As I have just demonstrated, the only frames in which the relative velocity of two observers agree with each other is when it is calculated in each of their own inertial frames. The relative velocity of two observers is ALWAYs
    unequal when calculated in all other frames.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From patdolan@21:1/5 to patdolan on Wed Apr 26 12:57:56 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 12:37:27 PM UTC-7, patdolan wrote:
    I shall attempt to teach the LTs without the use of analytic geometry. I shall use the famous barn-ladder paradox. I will also take the opportunity to demonstrate the inequality of coordinate and proper relative velocity.

When compared in the same inertial frame, a ladder is exactly twice as long as a barn. The barn has doors at either end, as usual. The ladder now acquires a velocity relative to the barn v such that gamma = 2.

Dolan is in charge of operating the automated & very quick barn doors. Jan rides the ladder at the front end with his stopwatch. Jan starts his stop watch just as he passed the first door. Dolan also starts his stopwatch at this event. As usual, once
    Dolan apprehends that the Lorentz contracted Jan & ladder just fit inside the barn, Dolan closes both doors and reads Jan's stopwatch, corrected for relativistic doppler. Dolan also reads his own stopwatch at this event.

Dolan also watches from the barn's frame as the Lorentz contracted, time dilated Jan calculates his velocity relative to the barn--this is Jan's coordinate relative velocity from Dolan's point of view. Because gamma = 2 Jan forms the ratio

"But wait!" you scream in protest "If you apply the LTs and calculate v' in Jan's frame you get v' = v. Tru dat. But the principle of relativity states that there are no privileged frames. It doesn't matter according to Einstein, whether Jan calculates
    his relative velocity in his frame or in the barn's frame where he is contracted, his watch is slow and his mind more slothful than usual.

Except it does matter! As I have just demonstrated, the only frames in which the relative velocity of two observers agree with each other is when it is calculated in each of their own inertial frames. The relative velocity of two observers is ALWAYs
    Let me hasten to add that the two barn door are sooooo fast that their openings and closings are almost instantaneous and can be considered as a single spacetime event. Jan passes first door = event A. First door open/close = event B. Second door open/
    close = event C. Jan is present at events A & C.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Prokaryotic Capase Homolog@21:1/5 to patdolan on Wed Apr 26 13:45:28 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 2:57:58 PM UTC-5, patdolan wrote:

Let me hasten to add that the two barn door are sooooo fast that their openings and closings are almost instantaneous and can be considered as a single spacetime event.

Your statement shows that you haven't the FOGGIEST notion
    of the meaning of the term "spacetime event."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dono.@21:1/5 to patdolan on Wed Apr 26 14:00:48 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 12:57:58 PM UTC-7, patdolan wrote:

Let me hasten to add that the two barn door are sooooo fast that their openings and closings are almost instantaneous and can be considered as a single spacetime event.

You should stop mixing alcohol with the shrooms.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From patdolan@21:1/5 to Prokaryotic Capase Homolog on Wed Apr 26 17:05:46 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 1:45:30 PM UTC-7, Prokaryotic Capase Homolog wrote:

Prokary, you dastard. Failing to print the next sentence completely changes the meaning of the first sentence. BTW, it was Dnvrfantj and not Purgy Purgatorio who primed the v on the Special relativity webpage. And only hours before I discoveries it.
    See for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special_relativity&diff=1151203352&oldid=1150777470

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From patdolan@21:1/5 to patdolan on Wed Apr 26 17:28:45 2023

"But wait!" you scream in protest "If you apply the LTs and calculate v' in Jan's frame you get v' = v. Tru dat. But the principle of relativity states that there are no privileged frames. It doesn't matter according to Einstein, whether Jan calculates
    his relative velocity in his frame or in the barn's frame where he is contracted, his watch is slow and his mind more slothful than usual.

Coda:

When it comes to Galilean relativity, both Dolan and Jan can uses each others clocks and meter sticks, or any other inertial frame's clocks & meter sticks, or any combination of multiple inertial frames clocks & meter sticks, to ALWAYS arrive at
    precisely the identical relative velocity between them. Galilean space and time are marvelously consistent, and so homogeneous and isotropic.

Homogeneity and isotropy are impossible in the case of special relativity. In addition to the inequality of relative velocity, we also find these pathologies: violation of Kepler's third law, unlimited superluminal Lorentz contraction velocities and
    Reitdijk-Putnam undecidability. All due to the inherent inconsistency of LT algebra when it is mapped onto the real world.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ross Finlayson@21:1/5 to patdolan on Thu Apr 27 11:15:47 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 5:28:46 PM UTC-7, patdolan wrote:

"But wait!" you scream in protest "If you apply the LTs and calculate v' in Jan's frame you get v' = v. Tru dat. But the principle of relativity states that there are no privileged frames. It doesn't matter according to Einstein, whether Jan
    calculates his relative velocity in his frame or in the barn's frame where he is contracted, his watch is slow and his mind more slothful than usual.

Coda:

When it comes to Galilean relativity, both Dolan and Jan can uses each others clocks and meter sticks, or any other inertial frame's clocks & meter sticks, or any combination of multiple inertial frames clocks & meter sticks, to ALWAYS arrive at
    precisely the identical relative velocity between them. Galilean space and time are marvelously consistent, and so homogeneous and isotropic.

Homogeneity and isotropy are impossible in the case of special relativity. In addition to the inequality of relative velocity, we also find these pathologies: violation of Kepler's third law, unlimited superluminal Lorentz contraction velocities and
    Reitdijk-Putnam undecidability. All due to the inherent inconsistency of LT algebra when it is mapped onto the real world.

You mean "Rindler and Bell's"?

The, uh, the "string connecting the spacecraft" is a mathematical line segment and _it breaks at all locations at once_ because it's about Jordan measure and the line integral, and the path or line elements of the line integral, which are
    infinitesimals all connected in an Aristotle's type of "Zeno, squared" continuum.

Yeah, Rindler's Jacob's Ladder, is a staunch _rejection_ of, quite a few non-sensical
    bits, what some ignorant followers-on think makes their "knowledge".

It can be much easier for him with foundational support from mathematics,
    with infinities and "the infinitely close", as Einstein puts it, all connected.

"Equipartitioning: Jordan measure and Dirichlet problem resolved in continuum mechanics, foundations."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Prokaryotic Capase Homolog@21:1/5 to patdolan on Thu Apr 27 17:44:45 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 7:05:48 PM UTC-5, patdolan wrote:
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 1:45:30 PM UTC-7, Prokaryotic Capase Homolog wrote:

Prokary, you dastard. Failing to print the next sentence completely changes the meaning of the first sentence.

The next sentence compounded your error. I wanted
    to deal with one silliness at a time. It was enough to
    point out your ignorance of what the term "spacetime
    event" means.

BTW, it was Dnvrfantj and not Purgy Purgatorio who primed the v on the Special relativity webpage. And only hours before I discoveries it. See for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special_relativity&diff=1151203352&oldid=1150777470

You don't know how to read the DIFF. Silly of you.
    Click on the back arrow, and you will see that Dnvrfantj's edit
    was to roll back a vandalism by an anonymous IP user.

The text in question had been introduced on 3 January 2019.
    I should have noticed at the time, but I didn't. Mea culpa.
    Perdit003 deleted the text on 23 April 2023 with the comment:
    | Removing unsourced material, that refers to "enforcing" and
    | introducing the unsourced nomenclature v' as if v was coordinate,
    | and as if the v in the inverse represents the mutual velocity only
    | because we impose this as a separate requirement. Wikipedia
    | isn't the place for people to promote this kind of unsourced
    | concepts. Provide a reliable source if you want to restore it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05