• International Thank-you Day (11 January)

From Ross Clark@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 15 09:35:40 2024
    Oh Lord, not ANOTHER "International Day"!!

Crystal goes on at length about the value of saying "thank you", and
    different ways to express it.

I have expressed the opinion here (or on a.u.e.) that the concept of
    gratitude was distinctively European.
    As children, we are extensively schooled in saying "thank you" on
    exactly the right occasions.
    Christianity teaches us that we should thank God for all kinds of
    different things on all kinds of occasions.
    This is why 19th century missionaries, writing about Pacific islanders, exclaimed at the utter moral depravity of these people, evinced by the
    fact that their language had no word to express gratitude!
    Of course, once in contact with European language and culture, these
    languages were able to improvise a word to use in the appropriate
    circumstances -- just the word for "good" in some cases.
    But -- not a universal lexical meaning, or perhaps even concept.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Aidan Kehoe@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 15 08:27:34 2024
    Ar an cúigiú lá déag de mí Eanair, scríobh Ross Clark:

Crystal goes on at length about the value of saying "thank you", and different ways to express it.

I have expressed the opinion here (or on a.u.e.) that the concept of gratitude was distinctively European. As children, we are extensively schooled in saying "thank you" on exactly the right occasions. Christianity teaches us that we should thank God for all kinds of different things on all kinds of occasions. This is why 19th century missionaries, writing about Pacific islanders, exclaimed at the utter moral depravity of these people, evinced by the fact that their language had no word to express gratitude! Of course, once in contact with European language and culture, these languages were able to improvise a word to use in the appropriate circumstances -- just the word for "good" in some cases. But -- not a universal lexical meaning, or perhaps even concept.

I wonder how correlated it is with the spread of agriculture and the associated increased population densities, need for easing interaction in dealing with people you don’t know well. Iran, which has been farming as long as humans have
    been, is ridiculous on this front, with تاعروف /tæːˈrof/taking a lot of mental
    energy from almost everyone.

--
    ‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
    How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’
    (C. Moore)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Antonio Marques@21:1/5 to Ross Clark on Mon Jan 15 15:56:01 2024
    Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

Crystal goes on at length about the value of saying "thank you", and different ways to express it.

I have expressed the opinion here (or on a.u.e.) that the concept of gratitude was distinctively European.
    Christianity teaches us that we should thank God for all kinds of
    different things on all kinds of occasions.
    This is why 19th century missionaries, writing about Pacific islanders, exclaimed at the utter moral depravity of these people, evinced by the
    fact that their language had no word to express gratitude!
    Of course, once in contact with European language and culture, these languages were able to improvise a word to use in the appropriate circumstances -- just the word for "good" in some cases.

Is there a please day? The gaelics don’t have a please, which confuses english-speaking learners no end.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Aidan Kehoe@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 15 18:56:38 2024
    Ar an cúigiú lá déag de mí Eanair, scríobh Antonio Marques:

I have expressed the opinion here (or on a.u.e.) that the concept of gratitude was distinctively European.
    Christianity teaches us that we should thank God for all kinds of different things on all kinds of occasions.
    This is why 19th century missionaries, writing about Pacific islanders, exclaimed at the utter moral depravity of these people, evinced by the fact that their language had no word to express gratitude!
    Of course, once in contact with European language and culture, these languages were able to improvise a word to use in the appropriate circumstances -- just the word for "good" in some cases.

Is there a please day? The gaelics don’t have a please, which confuses english-speaking learners no end.

The usual phrasing is ‘le do thoil’ or ‘má is é do thoil é’ when calquing (in
    Irish, I don’t know Scots Gaelic). ‘With your will’, ‘if it be your will’.

--
    ‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
    How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’
    (C. Moore)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Antonio Marques@21:1/5 to Aidan Kehoe on Tue Jan 16 02:35:00 2024
    Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> wrote:

As children, we are extensively schooled in saying "thank you" on exactly the right occasions.
    Christianity teaches us that we should thank God for all kinds of different things on all kinds of occasions.
    This is why 19th century missionaries, writing about Pacific islanders, exclaimed at the utter moral depravity of these people, evinced by the fact that their language had no word to express gratitude!

It’s the exact same in SG, spelling aside (and the plural has ur toil
    rather than bhur dtoil”), but the whole concept of tacking something onto a sentence to make it polite (rather than using marked grammar) feels english
    in origin.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ruud Harmsen@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 16 11:29:10 2024
    Tue, 16 Jan 2024 02:35:00 -0000 (UTC): Antonio Marques <no_email@invalid.invalid> scribeva:

Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> wrote:

Is there a please day? The gaelics don’t have a please, which confuses >> > english-speaking learners no end.

It’s the exact same in SG, spelling aside (and the plural has ur toil >rather than bhur dtoil”), but the whole concept of tacking something onto a >sentence to make it polite (rather than using marked grammar) feels english >in origin.

We have expressions for that in Dutch (alstublieft, alsjeblieft (litt.
    if it pleases you), abbreviated a.u.b. or also with the French
    s.v.p.), but we don't use them as often as in English.

I remember translating heavily non-ideomatic English about all sorts
    of electronic devices, probably written by Koreans, Japanese,
    Taiwanese or Chinese (sometimes so unideomatic that it was near-incomprehensible), which heavily overused "please" even to
    English taste (to my non-native judgement), so I ignored most of
    those, and wrote what we would say or write in the given situation in
    Dutch. Translate ideas, not words, has always been my philosophy. But
    every meaning element has to be identifiable in the translation in
    some way. So if a blunt or rude sounding way to say it is perceived as
    polite enough in Dutch culture, the correct translation of "please"
    can be just nothing.
    --
    Ruud Harmsen, https://rudhar.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05