• Re: Stanley Garage Door Opener Beam Sensor Components

From ReseA@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 27 04:45:03 2022
    XPost: alt.home.repair

Quick diagnostic tip: try a remote control for your tv and point it at the receiver - if it flashes, you know its ok.
    I know this is an old thread but I came across it because my Stanley UT200 garage opener (from the 1990s) has the same issue - won't close because of a sensor issue. It opens fine, and closes if I hold down the button, but not from the remote.
    Quick tip for anyone trying to troubleshoot: I think its the emitter on mine that is gone. I took a remote control for my soundbar and aimed it at the receiver and it flashed when I hit the power button on the remote - this tells me its seeing infra-red
    light. I also tried taking a photo with my DLSR of the emitter, and no trace of light on the image (if IR leaves a trace). Anyhow, now I gotta find me a compatible emitter...

--
    For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/stanley-garage-door-opener-beam-sensor-components-131299-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mike Coon@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 27 22:55:36 2022

In article <16f2dcb9b3f470c4$1$1440173$4246dc13
    @news.newsgroupdirect.com>, 4a4b386a8aa16c1c295a174dcea97082@example.com says...

Quick diagnostic tip: try a remote control for your tv and point it at the receiver - if it flashes, you know its ok.
    I know this is an old thread but I came across it because my Stanley UT200 garage opener (from the 1990s) has the same issue - won't close because of a sensor issue. It opens fine, and closes if I hold down the button, but not from the remote.
    Quick tip for anyone trying to troubleshoot: I think its the emitter on mine that is gone. I took a remote control for my soundbar and aimed it at the receiver and it flashed when I hit the power button on the remote - this tells me its seeing infra-
    red light. I also tried taking a photo with my DLSR of the emitter, and no trace of light on the image (if IR leaves a trace). Anyhow, now I gotta find me a compatible emitter...

If an ordinary DLSR did not filter out IR then its photos would be
    degraded. Now if you had a trail camera...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob F@21:1/5 to Mike Coon on Fri May 27 16:04:41 2022

On 5/27/2022 2:55 PM, Mike Coon wrote:
    @news.newsgroupdirect.com>, 4a4b386a8aa16c1c295a174dcea97082@example.com says...

Quick tip for anyone trying to troubleshoot: I think its the emitter on mine that is gone. I took a remote control for my soundbar and aimed it at the receiver and it flashed when I hit the power button on the remote - this tells me its seeing infra-
    red light. I also tried taking a photo with my DLSR of the emitter, and no trace of light on the image (if IR leaves a trace). Anyhow, now I gotta find me a compatible emitter...

Do they really use IR for garage door openers? None of mine do, because
    they work with no line-of-sight to the mechanism behind the closed door.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob F@21:1/5 to Bob F on Fri May 27 16:12:33 2022

On 5/27/2022 4:04 PM, Bob F wrote:
    On 5/27/2022 2:55 PM, Mike Coon wrote:
    @news.newsgroupdirect.com>, 4a4b386a8aa16c1c295a174dcea97082@example.com
    says...

Quick diagnostic tip: try a remote control for your tv and point it
    at the receiver - if it flashes, you know its ok.
    I know this is an old thread but I came across it because my Stanley
    UT200 garage opener (from the 1990s) has the same issue - won't close
    because of a sensor issue. It opens fine, and closes if I hold down
    the button, but not from the remote.
    Quick tip for anyone trying to troubleshoot: I think its the emitter
    on mine that is gone.  I took a remote control for my soundbar and
    aimed it at the receiver and it flashed when I hit the power button
    on the remote - this tells me its seeing infra-red light.  I also
    tried taking a photo with my DLSR of the emitter, and no trace of
    light on the image (if IR leaves a trace).  Anyhow, now I gotta find
    me a compatible emitter...

Do they really use IR for garage door openers? None of mine do, because
    they work with no line-of-sight to the mechanism behind the closed door.

Oops - my bad. this is about the safety sensors probably.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05