• Re: images in messages Binaries

From hubops@ccanoemail.ca@21:1/5 to keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net on Wed Mar 2 17:13:54 2022
    On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:03:14 -0500, knuttle
    <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 3/2/2022 4:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 2:19:56 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 1:20:41 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> This group has been around a long time, going back to original yahoo group, which did not support placing images in messages.

What "yahoo group" preceded rec.woodworking? I mean directly preceded it such
    that rec.woodworking is the same group just on a different platform, i.e. usenet?

AFAIK rec.woodworking began as net.rec.wood (1983-ish?) and became rec.woodworking
    during the Great Renaming in 1987.

I should have looked it up before. Yahoo was founded in 1994 so there was no way that there
    was a Yahoo group that was the "original" of net.rec.wood, now known as rec.woodworking.
    At one time I was subscribed to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I did not see it in the list of the newsgroup that I am subscribed to.
    After refreshing the list for both, I tried to find

It appears to have been removed from both
    -netnews.aioe.org
    -news.eternal-september.org

It's still in my list - with a grand total of 4 on-topic posts
    since Feb. 2019.
    John T.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From knuttle@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 2 17:03:14 2022
    On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 1:20:41 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote: >>> This group has been around a long time, going back to original yahoo group, which did not support placing images in messages.

that rec.woodworking is the same group just on a different platform, i.e. usenet?

AFAIK rec.woodworking began as net.rec.wood (1983-ish?) and became rec.woodworking

I should have looked it up before. Yahoo was founded in 1994 so there was no way that there
    was a Yahoo group that was the "original" of net.rec.wood, now known as rec.woodworking.

It appears to have been removed from both
    -netnews.aioe.org
    -news.eternal-september.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to knuttle on Thu Mar 3 15:22:09 2022
    knuttle <keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> writes:

On Wednesday, March 2, 2022 at 1:20:41 PM UTC-5, wrober...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> This group has been around a long time, going back to original yahoo group, which did not support placing images in messages.

Eternal september never carried the binary groups. I think that's also true of aioe and other free NNTP providers.

It's available on my provider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05