• In-game better: for suckers

From xyzzy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 12 18:55:01 2023
    This was pretty interesting:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/watching-the-super-bowl-bettor-beware-97494bee

tl;dr:

Super Bowl is broadcast on a delay (and streamed in an even bigger delay)
    but sites creating and setting odds for in-game bets have live information…you’re a play or two behind them.

In the last five years the algorithms that set the odds for in-game bets
    have got much more sophisticated so combined with the above there isn’t the same opportunity to outsmart them as there was only a few years ago.

The vig on in-game bets and parlays is excessive.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dragon fox@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sun Feb 12 13:09:36 2023
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 1:55:04 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:

tl;dr:

Super Bowl is broadcast on a delay (and streamed in an even bigger delay) but sites creating and setting odds for in-game bets have live information…you’re a play or two behind them.

In the last five years the algorithms that set the odds for in-game bets have got much more sophisticated so combined with the above there isn’t the
    same opportunity to outsmart them as there was only a few years ago.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dragon fox@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sun Feb 12 13:20:17 2023
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 1:55:04 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:

tl;dr:

Super Bowl is broadcast on a delay (and streamed in an even bigger delay) but sites creating and setting odds for in-game bets have live information…you’re a play or two behind them.

In the last five years the algorithms that set the odds for in-game bets have got much more sophisticated so combined with the above there isn’t the
    same opportunity to outsmart them as there was only a few years ago.

--

Find an "agent" who bets only on the win and sets his own odds. In this case mine says pick the Eagles it's 3-1, pick the Chiefs it's 2-1.

F0X

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 12 13:18:47 2023

TV, maybe, but what about radio - especially the local radio broadcasts in Philadelphia and Kansas City?

(Not counting any broadcasts via satellite radio; those are minutes behind - and I'm pretty sure there is an intentional delay thrown in, especially if you're listening on an app rather than directly from the satellite.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05