• Re: Banana Republic

From unclejr@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 19 20:12:08 2022
    On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 10:02:52 PM UTC-5, TE wrote:
    I believe that all this talk about the "looming civil war" was always bullshit, and it's still mostly bullshit, but this is the kind of stuff that could set-it-off. The public knows that the crime doesn't dictate the punishment but who commits the
    crime. Worse still, a large segment of the population support this.

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/08/19/more-jan-6-people-convicted-of-parading-n490848

"The government is continuing its highly “successful” campaign to identify and convict any person that can conceivably be tied in any way to the Capitol Hill riot on January 6th of last year. The latest two people to be dragged before a magistrate
    and plead guilty were a pair of sisters, Trudy Castle and Kimberly DiFrancesco. The two women freely admitted to having been at the riot and entering the Capitol Building after someone dropped a dime on them to the authorities, pointing to social media
    footage showing them inside the building. On Wednesday, they both entered their guilty pleas after the prosecution settled on a charge of “misdemeanor parading, demonstrating or picketing” in a restricted area. They face sentencing on November 22,
    when they could get up to six months behind bars. They will also each pay a $500 fine. (CBS News)"
    "Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during the summer of love. These sentences
    for the rioters would be shocking under any other circumstances. But the reality is that we now live in an era of selective enforcement of the law and unequal sentencing for similar or identical crimes. It’s the politicization of the justice system and
    it’s being done right before your eyes."

-TE

hotair.com?

LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From TE@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 19 20:02:49 2022
    I believe that all this talk about the "looming civil war" was always bullshit, and it's still mostly bullshit, but this is the kind of stuff that could set-it-off. The public knows that the crime doesn't dictate the punishment but who commits the crime.
    Worse still, a large segment of the population support this.

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/08/19/more-jan-6-people-convicted-of-parading-n490848

"The government is continuing its highly “successful” campaign to identify and convict any person that can conceivably be tied in any way to the Capitol Hill riot on January 6th of last year. The latest two people to be dragged before a magistrate
    and plead guilty were a pair of sisters, Trudy Castle and Kimberly DiFrancesco. The two women freely admitted to having been at the riot and entering the Capitol Building after someone dropped a dime on them to the authorities, pointing to social media
    footage showing them inside the building. On Wednesday, they both entered their guilty pleas after the prosecution settled on a charge of “misdemeanor parading, demonstrating or picketing” in a restricted area. They face sentencing on November 22,
    when they could get up to six months behind bars. They will also each pay a $500 fine. (CBS News)"
    "Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during the summer of love. These sentences
    for the rioters would be shocking under any other circumstances. But the reality is that we now live in an era of selective enforcement of the law and unequal sentencing for similar or identical crimes. It’s the politicization of the justice system and

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From m syadoz@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 19 20:15:55 2022
    On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 10:02:52 PM UTC-5, TE wrote:
    I believe that all this talk about the "looming civil war" was always bullshit,

Republicans Appear to be Realizing All Their Candidates Are Dangerous Weirdos

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/08/mitch-mcconnell-suggests-republicans-wont-win-back-senate

and it's still mostly bullshit, but this is the kind of stuff that could set-it-off. The public knows that the crime doesn't dictate the punishment but who commits the crime. Worse still, a large segment of the population support this.

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sat Aug 20 18:10:21 2022
    xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

"Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I
    could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court
    buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during
    the summer of love.

Since your friends at hotair.com don’t seem very skilled at googling, let me help them out. I found this after one Google search, I must be qualified to be an investigative journalist if those yahoos are setting the standard.

https://apnews.com/article/records-rebut-claims-jan-6-rioters-55adf4d46aff57b91af2fdd3345dace8

An Associated Press review of court documents in more than 300 federal
    cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes
    and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

President Joe Biden’s Justice Department has continued the vast majority of the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have
    brought some new cases stemming from last year’s protests.

[…]

Just this month [article is from August 2021] a man was sentenced to four years behind bars and ordered to pay what his attorney said is likely to exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot last spring in Champaign, Illinois.

[…]

In another case this month, an Illinois man was sentenced to nearly nine years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in
    June 2020. A Charleston, South Carolina, man who livestreamed himself
    looting a store downtown was sentenced to two years in prison.

In the Capitol riot, dozens of defendants have been charged only with misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to
    a single count of demonstrating in the Capitol.

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two
    other people who were locked up pretrial were released after pleading
    guilty to misdemeanors and serving the maximum six-month jail sentence.

[…]

in Utah this month, a federal judge sentenced 25-year-old Lateesha Richards to nearly two years in prison for tossing a pair of basketball shorts onto
    an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence that the bat struck anybody.

The last example I cited is a direct counter to hotair.com’s claim that no one has been prosecutor damaging a patrol car. Here’s another from the same article:

On the same day in May, Kelsey Donnel Jackson traveled to downtown
    Charleston, South Carolina, with a cousin to join a protest over Floyd’s killing. Hours later, as other protesters began flipping tables and
    taunting police officers, Jackson lighted a shirt on fire and tossed it
    onto the trunk of a vandalized police car.

Jackson also vandalized businesses and public property, assaulted two
    people and streamed a video of himself on Facebook Live in which he held a handgun and made threatening statements about police, according to
    prosecutors.

He was sentenced this summer to two years in prison after pleading guilty
    to maliciously damaging a police vehicle with fire.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 20 18:07:16 2022
    "Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during the summer of love.

Since your friends at hotair.com don’t seem very skilled at googling, let
    me help them out. I found this after one Google search, I must be qualified
    to be an investigative journalist if those yahoos are setting the standard.

https://apnews.com/article/records-rebut-claims-jan-6-rioters-55adf4d46aff57b91af2fdd3345dace8

cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes
    and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including
    rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been
    sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

President Joe Biden’s Justice Department has continued the vast majority of the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and
    has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have

[…]

Just this month [article is from August 2021] a man was sentenced to four
    years behind bars and ordered to pay what his attorney said is likely to
    exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot last spring in Champaign, Illinois.

[…]

In another case this month, an Illinois man was sentenced to nearly nine
    years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in

In the Capitol riot, dozens of defendants have been charged only with misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two

[…]

in Utah this month, a federal judge sentenced 25-year-old Lateesha Richards
    to nearly two years in prison for tossing a pair of basketball shorts onto
    an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence that the bat struck anybody.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Corky@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sat Aug 20 13:59:29 2022
    On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 1:10:25 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I >> could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court
    buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during >> the summer of love.

An Associated Press review of court documents in more than 300 federal cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year
    shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

President Joe Biden’s Justice Department has continued the vast majority of
    the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have brought some new cases stemming from last year’s protests.

[…]

Just this month [article is from August 2021] a man was sentenced to four years behind bars and ordered to pay what his attorney said is likely to exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot
    last spring in Champaign, Illinois.

[…]

In another case this month, an Illinois man was sentenced to nearly nine years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in June 2020. A Charleston, South Carolina, man who livestreamed himself looting a store downtown was sentenced to two years in prison.

In the Capitol riot, dozens of defendants have been charged only with misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to a single count of demonstrating in the Capitol.

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other
    misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two other people who were locked up pretrial were released after pleading guilty to misdemeanors and serving the maximum six-month jail sentence.

[…]

to nearly two years in prison for tossing a pair of basketball shorts onto an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence
    that the bat struck anybody.
    The last example I cited is a direct counter to hotair.com’s claim that no one has been prosecutor damaging a patrol car. Here’s another from the same
    article:

On the same day in May, Kelsey Donnel Jackson traveled to downtown Charleston, South Carolina, with a cousin to join a protest over Floyd’s killing. Hours later, as other protesters began flipping tables and
    taunting police officers, Jackson lighted a shirt on fire and tossed it
    onto the trunk of a vandalized police car.

Jackson also vandalized businesses and public property, assaulted two
    people and streamed a video of himself on Facebook Live in which he held a handgun and made threatening statements about police, according to prosecutors.

He was sentenced this summer to two years in prison after pleading guilty
    to maliciously damaging a police vehicle with fire.
    --

There were thousands of violent protestors during the George Floyd protests. You've named one and three unnamed that were arrested and convicted of something. Sometimes the term 'nobody' is a generalization that suggests so few it doesn't amount to
    anything.

'At least 895 people have been charged in the Capitol insurrection so far. This searchable table shows them all.'

https://www.insider.com/all-the-us-capitol-pro-trump-riot-arrests-charges-names-2021-1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sun Aug 21 17:43:28 2022
    On 2022-08-20, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court
    buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during the summer of love.

Since your friends at hotair.com don’t seem very skilled at googling, let me help them out. I found this after one Google search, I must be qualified to be an investigative journalist if those yahoos are setting the standard.

and sent to prison.

[…]

President Joe Biden’s Justice Department has continued the vast majority of the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have

Let's see -- one incident at the Capitol causing a couple million
    dollars in damage has resulted in 600 cases. Six hundred
    incidents causing billions of dollars of damage has resulted in --
    300 cases? Actually, there were lots of people arrested but very
    few received more than misdemeanor charges and almost none were
    held without bail.

I know that causing members of Congress to wet the bed is a heinous
    crime, but should it result in a charge rate that much greater?

On top of all that, those BLM protests have caused the deaths of
    many, many people more than the 19 that actually died in the riots,
    as civil order has broken down as a result. The economic damage also
    is much greater than the listed amount, as hundreds or thousands
    of businesses permanently closed.

[…]

Just this month [article is from August 2021] a man was sentenced to four years behind bars and ordered to pay what his attorney said is likely to exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot last spring in Champaign, Illinois.

His pet riot caused as much damage as the Capitol riot.

[…]

In another case this month, an Illinois man was sentenced to nearly nine years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in

How many BLM members were charged with trespassing? With looting? We watched videos of many, many, looting incidents and rarely have we heard of people being
    charged. Not surprising, since not that many were charged.

[…]

in Utah this month, a federal judge sentenced 25-year-old Lateesha Richards to nearly two years in prison for tossing a pair of basketball shorts onto

That's what assault is. I doesn't have to result in battery. And when you
    throw a combustible on a fire and shortly thereafter the fire gets larger
    and the entire vehicle becomes engulfed in flames, you participated in the burning of the vehicle.

--
    There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make
    a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 12. -- Dave Barry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Sun Aug 21 19:29:41 2022
    Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:

"Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I >>> could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court
    buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during
    the summer of love.

Since your friends at hotair.com don’t seem very skilled at googling, let >> me help them out. I found this after one Google search, I must be qualified >> to be an investigative journalist if those yahoos are setting the standard. >>

cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year >> shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes
    and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have
    pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including
    sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At >> least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and >> has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious
    crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have

held without bail.

[…]

exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot >> last spring in Champaign, Illinois.

[…]

years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in

In the Capitol riot, dozens of defendants have been charged only with
    misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to >> a single count of demonstrating in the Capitol.

How many BLM members were charged with trespassing? With looting? We watched videos of many, many, looting incidents and rarely have we heard of people being

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t
    participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other >> misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two

[…]

in Utah this month, a federal judge sentenced 25-year-old Lateesha Richards >> to nearly two years in prison for tossing a pair of basketball shorts onto >> an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police >> officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence >> that the bat struck anybody.

That's what assault is. I doesn't have to result in battery. And when you throw a combustible on a fire and shortly thereafter the fire gets larger
    and the entire vehicle becomes engulfed in flames, you participated in the burning of the vehicle.

You guys are missing the point quibbling over numbers. There’s a wingnut victimization fantasy that BLM rioters were given a pass which is patently false. The AP showed prosecutions and stiff sentences handed out. I know
    you guys think everyone who participated in a march is a rioter so you
    won’t be satisfied with fewer than 10s of thousands of prosecutions, well that’s just self-serving ignorance. Unlike the BLM demonstrators EVERYONE
    who participated in the sacking of the Capitol committed a federal crime.
    There were a lot more than 600 participants in that riot so a lot of people have skated on that too.

Another factor is that the Capitol riot was one event on one day in one
    place and the cases are all in the jurisdiction of one court, making them
    easy to track and count. By contrast BLM riots were all over the place in different times with different courts having jurisdiction so it’s more diffuse to track. As the AP showed when they went to the trouble to
    research it there were plenty of serious cases brought that resulted in
    serious prison time all over the country, while many Capitol rioters got
    off easy.

You just don’t want to know that because you prefer to wallow in a wingnut victimization fantasy that simply isn’t true.

People in BLM demonstrations who simply walked in the streets did not
    commit a crime. Most of those who did commit crimes in the BLM
    demonstrations committed state, not federal crimes. But EVERYONE who
    entered the Capitol grounds on 1/6 DID commit a federal crime. This is a distinction it doesn’t serve you to acknowledge. Just like you don’t want to understand the difference between looting a CVS and sacking our nation’s Capitol in an attempted coup. Both are crimes but one is a crime against property and the other is a crime against our republic. Conflating the two
    is dishonest in the extreme.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon Aug 22 06:35:03 2022
    On 2022-08-21, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

"Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I >>>> could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court >>>> buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during >>>> the summer of love.

Since your friends at hotair.com don’t seem very skilled at googling, let >>> me help them out. I found this after one Google search, I must be qualified >>> to be an investigative journalist if those yahoos are setting the standard. >>>

cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year
    shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes >>> and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have >>> pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including
    sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At >>> least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and >>> has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious >>> crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have

held without bail.

[…]

Just this month [article is from August 2021] a man was sentenced to four >>> years behind bars and ordered to pay what his attorney said is likely to >>> exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot >>> last spring in Champaign, Illinois.

[…]

In another case this month, an Illinois man was sentenced to nearly nine >>> years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in

misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to >>> a single count of demonstrating in the Capitol.

How many BLM members were charged with trespassing? With looting? We watched >> videos of many, many, looting incidents and rarely have we heard of people being

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t >>> participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other >>> misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two

[…]

in Utah this month, a federal judge sentenced 25-year-old Lateesha Richards >>> to nearly two years in prison for tossing a pair of basketball shorts onto >>> an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police >>> officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence >>> that the bat struck anybody.

and the entire vehicle becomes engulfed in flames, you participated in the >> burning of the vehicle.

You guys are missing the point quibbling over numbers. There’s a wingnut victimization fantasy that BLM rioters were given a pass which is patently false. The AP showed prosecutions and stiff sentences handed out.

And showed thousands of cases dropped without charges.

j I know you guys think everyone who participated in a march is a
    rioter so you won’t be satisfied with fewer than 10s of thousands
    of prosecutions, well that’s just self-serving ignorance.

Unlike the BLM demonstrators EVERYONE

What, trespassing? How many trespassing and failure to disperse charges
    were leveled for BLM rioters? Hint: you can't find cases. Thousands of
    cases were dropped in dozens of cities.

There were a lot more than 600 participants in that riot so a lot of people have skated on that too.

It isn't just federal crimes that count. Unless state and local authorities don't
    charge, in which case the federal government can prosecute.

The rioters in the BLM riots were generally treated with kid gloves and many, many, many people committing far worse crimes such as looting were let go.

place and the cases are all in the jurisdiction of one court, making them easy to track and count. By contrast BLM riots were all over the place in different times with different courts having jurisdiction so it’s more diffuse to track. As the AP showed when they went to the trouble to
    research it there were plenty of serious cases brought that resulted in serious prison time all over the country, while many Capitol rioters got
    off easy.

That's because there were no cases of looting, arson, attempted murder with vehicle, etc. at the Capitol. There were many, many serious crimes committed at the BLM riots and very few at the Capitol.

You just don’t want to know that because you prefer to wallow in a wingnut victimization fantasy that simply isn’t true.

If 70% of people were charged for a certain type of offense in one case and
    0% in another, you're claiming that's "quibbling over numbers". The fact that they charged BLM rioters for the much more serious crimes they committed is supposed to make up for that. I don't think anyone would quibble over
    charging Capitol rioters for offenses like that.

Fact -- they came down with jackboots on people whose great crime was trespassing and failure to disperse, and charged none of the people who
    did the same things in the BLM riots. And yes, the diffuses nature of the
    BLM riots make it hard to track, but all you have to do is look at the summaries of what happened in Portland, Denver, Minneapolis, Louisville, Milwaukee, etc. to see which way the wind was blowing. In all cases, they dropped charges for curfew, failure to disperse, etc. Very few looting
    cases were brought -- zero in Denver, Portland, or Minneapolis -- despite
    a widespread problem.

People in BLM demonstrations who simply walked in the streets did not
    commit a crime.

"I just walked in the street. That window must have just broken itself."

If they broke curfew or disobeyed orders to disperse they certainly
    did. Thousands of people were arrested or ticketed for that and
    almost zero were prosecuted.

Most of those who did commit crimes in the BLM
    entered the Capitol grounds on 1/6 DID commit a federal crime. This is a distinction it doesn’t serve you to acknowledge. Just like you don’t want to understand the difference between looting a CVS and sacking our nation’s Capitol in an attempted coup. Both are crimes but one is a crime against property and the other is a crime against our republic. Conflating the two is dishonest in the extreme.

Walking into the Capitol as the police hold the door open for you is a
    "crime against our republic"? Is that the same crime the trespassing
    Kavanaugh or abortion protesters committed? Or the Colbert staffers?

--
    In a system of free trade and free markets poor countries -- and poor
    people -- are not poor because others are rich. Indeed, if others became
    less rich the poor would in all probability become still poorer.
    -- Margaret Thatcher

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Mon Aug 22 06:44:27 2022
    On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 2:35:07 AM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

<snip>

demonstrations committed state, not federal crimes. But EVERYONE who entered the Capitol grounds on 1/6 DID commit a federal crime. This is a distinction it doesn’t serve you to acknowledge. Just like you don’t want
    to understand the difference between looting a CVS and sacking our nation’s
    Capitol in an attempted coup. Both are crimes but one is a crime against property and the other is a crime against our republic. Conflating the two is dishonest in the extreme.

Walking into the Capitol as the police hold the door open for you is a "crime against our republic"? Is that the same crime the trespassing Kavanaugh or abortion protesters committed? Or the Colbert staffers?

"Attempted coup" tmml

One of the advantages of not checking RSFC every day, or every hour, as many of us do/did is you get a better take on people who justify tactics they would have
    been outraged only months before. If Jan 6. was a 'coup,' fine, but you can't ignore
    the dozens of coups committed by the left in the previous years.

The intelligence services along with Democrats attempted to frame, and remove,,
    the sitting president as a foreign spy. Now THAT was a coup, unquestionably. Is Adam Schiff in prison? No. Some cancer-ridden grandma who strolled through the capital building, between the ropes for ten minutes? Fry the bitch.

-TE

“Your problem is that you live on forever in a world that no longer exists, if it ever did.
    You live in a world where there are norms. You live in a world of rules and guardrails,
    where the institutions are at least nominally neutral and where we all share some
    basic premises that provide common ground. But we don’t.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to randorwell@gmail.com on Mon Aug 22 21:04:45 2022
    TE <randorwell@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 2:35:07 AM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

<snip>

entered the Capitol grounds on 1/6 DID commit a federal crime. This is a >>> distinction it doesn’t serve you to acknowledge. Just like you don’t want
    Capitol in an attempted coup. Both are crimes but one is a crime against >>> property and the other is a crime against our republic. Conflating the two >>> is dishonest in the extreme.

"Attempted coup" tmml

One of the advantages of not checking RSFC every day, or every hour, as many of
    us do/did is you get a better take on people who justify tactics they would have
    been outraged only months before. If Jan 6. was a 'coup,' fine, but you can't ignore

the sitting president as a foreign spy. Now THAT was a coup, unquestionably.
    Is Adam Schiff in prison? No. Some cancer-ridden grandma who strolled through
    the capital building, between the ropes for ten minutes? Fry the bitch.

That’s your fantasy of what’s happening but it isn’t what’s happening. Plenty of Capitol rioters got wrist slaps, so much so that even some judges
    are questioning whether the charges are too light. You just choose not to
    learn about them because it would break your wingnut victim complex. Or
    maybe there’s an honest explanation for your ignorance here, like they did the easy light ones in 2021 and the ones happening now are the ringleaders
    who got more serious charges.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/25/politics/capitol-riot-cases-charges-explainer/index.html

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Mon Aug 22 21:16:22 2022

"Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I >>>>> could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court >>>>> buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during >>>>> the summer of love.

An Associated Press review of court documents in more than 300 federal >>>> cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year
    shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes >>>> and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have >>>> pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including
    sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At >>>> least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and >>>> has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious >>>> crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have

held without bail.

[…]

Just this month [article is from August 2021] a man was sentenced to four >>>> years behind bars and ordered to pay what his attorney said is likely to >>>> exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot

[…]

In another case this month, an Illinois man was sentenced to nearly nine >>>> years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in >>>> June 2020. A Charleston, South Carolina, man who livestreamed himself

misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to >>>> a single count of demonstrating in the Capitol.

How many BLM members were charged with trespassing? With looting? We watched
    videos of many, many, looting incidents and rarely have we heard of people being

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t >>>> participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other
    misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two >>>> other people who were locked up pretrial were released after pleading
    guilty to misdemeanors and serving the maximum six-month jail sentence. >>>>
    […]

to nearly two years in prison for tossing a pair of basketball shorts onto >>>> an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police >>>> officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence

That's what assault is. I doesn't have to result in battery. And when you >>> throw a combustible on a fire and shortly thereafter the fire gets larger >>> and the entire vehicle becomes engulfed in flames, you participated in the >>> burning of the vehicle.

You guys are missing the point quibbling over numbers. There’s a wingnut >> victimization fantasy that BLM rioters were given a pass which is patently >> false. The AP showed prosecutions and stiff sentences handed out.

There were a lot more than 600 participants in that riot so a lot of people >> have skated on that too.

It isn't just federal crimes that count. Unless state and local authorities don't

The rioters in the BLM riots were generally treated with kid gloves and many, many, many people committing far worse crimes such as looting were let go.

place and the cases are all in the jurisdiction of one court, making them
    easy to track and count. By contrast BLM riots were all over the place in
    different times with different courts having jurisdiction so it’s more
    diffuse to track. As the AP showed when they went to the trouble to
    serious prison time all over the country, while many Capitol rioters got
    off easy.

That's because there were no cases of looting, arson, attempted murder with vehicle, etc. at the Capitol. There were many, many serious crimes committed at the BLM riots and very few at the Capitol.

You just don’t want to know that because you prefer to wallow in a wingnut >> victimization fantasy that simply isn’t true.

If 70% of people were charged for a certain type of offense in one case and 0% in another, you're claiming that's "quibbling over numbers". The fact that they charged BLM rioters for the much more serious crimes they committed is supposed to make up for that. I don't think anyone would quibble over charging Capitol rioters for offenses like that.

Fact -- they came down with jackboots on people whose great crime was trespassing and failure to disperse,

No, they didn’t. Many capital rioters got off easy, so much so than some of the judges questioned the lightness of the charges. They apparently did the light, easy misdemeanor pleas last year giving you time to forget about
    them, and now the ringleaders who caught more serious charges are current
    in the news.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/25/politics/capitol-riot-cases-charges-explainer/index.html

Thousands of people walked in the streets. Thousands of people did not
    break windows or loot.

And lot of those who broke windows and committed vandalism were right wing plants. It’s another example of how every Republican accusation is actually
    a confession because you guys like to claim false flag but are the ones who actually are doing it. For example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/29/umbrella-man-white-supremacist-minneapolis/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-homeland-supremacists/a-trump-security-chief-acknowledges-role-of-white-supremacist-extremists-in-u-s-urban-violence-idUSKBN26031F

It’s ironic that Enright is claiming the state is jackbooting conservatives in the same thread where you whine that not enough people were locked up
    for curfew violations.

"crime against our republic"?

Breaking down barricades, assaulting Capitol police, attempting to hunt
    down congressman and Senators, sacking the house chamber and members
    offices, trying to stop the transfer of power…re: the latter if the rioters weren’t trying to stop the transfer of power what do you plausibly think
    they WERE trying to do as they chanted “Hang Mike Pence”?

Is that the same crime the trespassing
    Kavanaugh

You mean the ones that were cuffed and charged?

or abortion protesters committed?

You mean the ones that vandalized and torched clinics? Or the one that
    killed Dr Tiller?

Or the Colbert staffers?

You mean these Colbert staffers?

The individuals, who entered the building on two separate occasions, were invited by Congressional staffers to enter the building in each instance
    and were never asked to leave by the staffers who invited them, though,
    members of the group had been told at various points by the U.S. Capitol
    Police that they were supposed to have an escort," the U.S. Attorney’s
    Office for the District of Columbia said in a statement.

We do not believe it is probable that the Office would be able to obtain
    and sustain convictions on these charges," the office said, noting that the production crew's "escort chose to leave them unattended."

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon Aug 22 17:53:01 2022
    On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 5:04:49 PM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
    TE <rando...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

entered the Capitol grounds on 1/6 DID commit a federal crime. This is a >>> distinction it doesn’t serve you to acknowledge. Just like you don’t want
    Capitol in an attempted coup. Both are crimes but one is a crime against >>> property and the other is a crime against our republic. Conflating the two
    is dishonest in the extreme.

"Attempted coup" tmml

One of the advantages of not checking RSFC every day, or every hour, as many of
    us do/did is you get a better take on people who justify tactics they would have

the sitting president as a foreign spy. Now THAT was a coup, unquestionably.
    Is Adam Schiff in prison? No. Some cancer-ridden grandma who strolled through
    the capital building, between the ropes for ten minutes? Fry the bitch.

That’s your fantasy of what’s happening but it isn’t what’s happening.
    Plenty of Capitol rioters got wrist slaps, so much so that even some judges are questioning whether the charges are too light. You just choose not to learn about them because it would break your wingnut victim complex. Or maybe there’s an honest explanation for your ignorance here, like they did the easy light ones in 2021 and the ones happening now are the ringleaders who got more serious charges.

"Plenty of Capitol rioters got wrist slaps"

Really? That's great. But WTF does have to do with anything?

"Sure we robbed those banks, but just think about all the banks we DIDN'T rob!"

-TE

“As Richard Fernandez tweeted: ‘The elites lost their mojo by becoming absurd. It happened on the
    road between cultural appropriation and transgender bathrooms.’ It was fatal: ‘People believe from
    instinct. The Roman gods became ridiculous when the Roman emperors did. PC is the equivalent
    of Caligula’s horse.’”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon Aug 22 18:21:32 2022
    On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 5:16:26 PM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:

Or the Colbert staffers?

The individuals, who entered the building on two separate occasions, were invited by Congressional staffers to enter the building in each instance
    and were never asked to leave by the staffers who invited them, though, members of the group had been told at various points by the U.S. Capitol Police that they were supposed to have an escort," the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said in a statement.

and sustain convictions on these charges," the office said, noting that the production crew's "escort chose to leave them unattended."

I'm not sure how you think this helps your case. The Colbert staffers were ordered to leave, but did not, they violated the law in a more egregious fashion
    than some charged Jan 6. protestors. and were prosecuted. If these were Tucker Carlson staffers, they'd be held without bond.

Do honestly believe that BLM rioters are getting the same treatment as
    Jan. 6 rioters? You can't believe that. I don't see BLM protestors being brought before prime time TV cameras for a beating. Hell, the protestors
    that stormed the White House, forcing Trump to be moved to a secure location
    by the secret service. I assume they are serving long prison sentences
    for their insurrection...right?

-TE

What do I believe? I believe everyone has unconscious bias about everything and now peasants
    are using computer proxy police to collect questionable evidence of thoughtcrime behind a
    moral figleaf of pseudoscience. Their schemes will be subverted. Conduct unbecoming is as it
    ever was, fragile dweebs everywhere still hedge their bets against common decency. Maybe
    that psychologist was right about nihilists.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon Aug 22 18:24:41 2022
    On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 5:16:26 PM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
    Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <cons...@duxmail.com> wrote:
    On 2022-08-21, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <cons...@duxmail.com> wrote:
    On 2022-08-20, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court >>>>> buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during
    the summer of love.

An Associated Press review of court documents in more than 300 federal >>>> cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year
    shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes
    and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have
    pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including >>>> rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been >>>> sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At
    least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and
    has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious
    crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have >>>> brought some new cases stemming from last year’s protests.

held without bail.

[…]

exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot

[…]

years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in >>>> June 2020. A Charleston, South Carolina, man who livestreamed himself >>>> looting a store downtown was sentenced to two years in prison.

In the Capitol riot, dozens of defendants have been charged only with >>>> misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to

videos of many, many, looting incidents and rarely have we heard of people being

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t
    participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other
    misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two >>>> other people who were locked up pretrial were released after pleading >>>> guilty to misdemeanors and serving the maximum six-month jail sentence. >>>>
    […]

an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police
    officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence

and the entire vehicle becomes engulfed in flames, you participated in the
    burning of the vehicle.

You guys are missing the point quibbling over numbers. There’s a wingnut
    victimization fantasy that BLM rioters were given a pass which is patently
    false. The AP showed prosecutions and stiff sentences handed out.

What, trespassing? How many trespassing and failure to disperse charges were leveled for BLM rioters? Hint: you can't find cases. Thousands of cases were dropped in dozens of cities.

There were a lot more than 600 participants in that riot so a lot of people
    have skated on that too.

The rioters in the BLM riots were generally treated with kid gloves and many,
    many, many people committing far worse crimes such as looting were let go.

Another factor is that the Capitol riot was one event on one day in one >> place and the cases are all in the jurisdiction of one court, making them >> easy to track and count. By contrast BLM riots were all over the place in >> different times with different courts having jurisdiction so it’s more >> diffuse to track. As the AP showed when they went to the trouble to
    research it there were plenty of serious cases brought that resulted in >> serious prison time all over the country, while many Capitol rioters got >> off easy.

That's because there were no cases of looting, arson, attempted murder with
    vehicle, etc. at the Capitol. There were many, many serious crimes committed
    at the BLM riots and very few at the Capitol.

You just don’t want to know that because you prefer to wallow in a wingnut
    victimization fantasy that simply isn’t true.

If 70% of people were charged for a certain type of offense in one case and
    0% in another, you're claiming that's "quibbling over numbers". The fact that
    they charged BLM rioters for the much more serious crimes they committed is
    supposed to make up for that. I don't think anyone would quibble over charging Capitol rioters for offenses like that.

Fact -- they came down with jackboots on people whose great crime was trespassing and failure to disperse,
    No, they didn’t. Many capital rioters got off easy, so much so than some of
    the judges questioned the lightness of the charges. They apparently did the light, easy misdemeanor pleas last year giving you time to forget about them, and now the ringleaders who caught more serious charges are current
    in the news.

break windows or loot.

And lot of those who broke windows and committed vandalism were right wing plants. It’s another example of how every Republican accusation is actually
    a confession because you guys like to claim false flag but are the ones who actually are doing it. For example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/29/umbrella-man-white-supremacist-minneapolis/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-homeland-supremacists/a-trump-security-chief-acknowledges-role-of-white-supremacist-extremists-in-u-s-urban-violence-idUSKBN26031F
    It’s ironic that Enright is claiming the state is jackbooting conservatives
    in the same thread where you whine that not enough people were locked up
    for curfew violations.
    Walking into the Capitol as the police hold the door open for you is a "crime against our republic"?
    down congressman and Senators, sacking the house chamber and members offices, trying to stop the transfer of power…re: the latter if the rioters
    weren’t trying to stop the transfer of power what do you plausibly think they WERE trying to do as they chanted “Hang Mike Pence”?
    Kavanaugh

You mean the ones that vandalized and torched clinics? Or the one that killed Dr Tiller?

Or the Colbert staffers?

and were never asked to leave by the staffers who invited them, though, members of the group had been told at various points by the U.S. Capitol Police that they were supposed to have an escort," the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said in a statement.

...just read this.

Republican congressmen on Friday linked the lack of trust in the FBI following the raid on former
    President Donald Trump's home this week to the bureau's refusal for years to label the 2017
    congressional baseball shooting as an act of domestic terrorism.
    House Intelligence Committee Republicans held a press conference Friday morning, demanding Attorney General Merrick Garland and FBI Director Christopher Wray provide more details about the Trump raid. The congressmen connected their skepticism about the
    FBI's actions on Monday to the bureau's handling of the 2017 Virginia shooting that nearly killed Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA).

Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH) said the FBI was still withholding answers on that shooting.

"So, you want to know why the American people don't trust our institutions? It's things like this, because the decision they made defies logic," Wenstrup said, adding, "So, we want to know why, how, and by whom these mistakes were made. We need access to
    the case file to answer these questions, and the FBI has been unwilling to share the case file with us, which we have every right to see."

The FBI admitted in May 2021 that the Alexandria attack had been classified as "domestic terrorism" carried out by a "domestic violent extremist" targeting Republicans, after the bureau previously classified it as "suicide by cop."

"A heavily armed assassin -- clearly by his social media and the things he wrote was motivated politically. He hated Donald Trump. He wanted to kill Republicans. He had names of Republicans in his pocket," Wenstrup said.

From 2017 to 2021, the FBI refused to classify the attack as domestic terrorism.

Hodgkinson, an avid supporter of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), was killed by law enforcement. He had posted on Facebook that "Trump is a Traitor. Trump Has Destroyed Our Democracy. It's Time to Destroy Trump & Co." and joined other groups such as "
    Terminate The Republican Party." Hodgkinson had a potential "hit list" of six Republican members of Congress in his pocket.

"Despite all these facts, on November 16, 2017, FBI personnel came to those of us that were there and told us, 'We just surmise that this guy wanted to commit suicide by cop.' If your jaw doesn't drop with that assessment by the FBI, it should," Wenstrup
    said.

Rep. Trent Kelly (R-MS) also raised the issue of the attempted 2017 assassination on Friday.

"The baseball shooting over five years ago -- I was there," Kelly said. "The perpetrator is dead; however, to this day, the FBI continues to use cover-up and hiding and will not disclose the files."

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Tue Aug 23 08:34:50 2022
    On 2022-08-22, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

"Just as a periodic reminder, there has yet to be a single prosecution I >>>>>> could find of any of the people who were setting fire to federal court >>>>>> buildings and police cruisers during the BLM riots that unfolded during >>>>>> the summer of love.

An Associated Press review of court documents in more than 300 federal >>>>> cases stemming from the protests sparked by George Floyd’s death last year
    shows that dozens of people charged have been convicted of serious crimes >>>>> and sent to prison.

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have >>>>> pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including >>>>> rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been >>>>> sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At
    least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

[…]

the racial injustice protest cases brought across the U.S. under Trump and
    has often pushed for lengthy prison time for people convicted of serious >>>>> crimes. Since Biden took office in January, federal prosecutors have >>>>> brought some new cases stemming from last year’s protests.

held without bail.

[…]

Just this month [article is from August 2021] a man was sentenced to four >>>>> years behind bars and ordered to pay what his attorney said is likely to >>>>> exceed $1.5 million in restitution after pleading guilty to inciting a riot

[…]

In another case this month, an Illinois man was sentenced to nearly nine >>>>> years behind bars for lighting a Minneapolis cellphone store on fire in >>>>> June 2020. A Charleston, South Carolina, man who livestreamed himself >>>>> looting a store downtown was sentenced to two years in prison.

In the Capitol riot, dozens of defendants have been charged only with >>>>> misdemeanors, and a standard plea deal has allowed many to plead guilty to

An Indiana woman who admitted illegally entering the Capitol but didn’t >>>>> participate in any violence or destruction avoided jail time, and two other
    misdemeanor defendants got one and two months of home confinement. Two >>>>> other people who were locked up pretrial were released after pleading >>>>> guilty to misdemeanors and serving the maximum six-month jail sentence. >>>>>
    […]

an overturned, burning patrol car and hurling a baseball bat toward police
    officers during a May 2020 protest in Salt Lake City. There’s no evidence

That's what assault is. I doesn't have to result in battery. And when you >>>> throw a combustible on a fire and shortly thereafter the fire gets larger >>>> and the entire vehicle becomes engulfed in flames, you participated in the >>>> burning of the vehicle.

You guys are missing the point quibbling over numbers. There’s a wingnut >>> victimization fantasy that BLM rioters were given a pass which is patently >>> false. The AP showed prosecutions and stiff sentences handed out.

who participated in the sacking of the Capitol committed a federal crime. >>

There were a lot more than 600 participants in that riot so a lot of people >>> have skated on that too.

The rioters in the BLM riots were generally treated with kid gloves and many,
    many, many people committing far worse crimes such as looting were let go. >>

place and the cases are all in the jurisdiction of one court, making them >>> easy to track and count. By contrast BLM riots were all over the place in >>> different times with different courts having jurisdiction so it’s more >>> diffuse to track. As the AP showed when they went to the trouble to
    serious prison time all over the country, while many Capitol rioters got >>> off easy.

That's because there were no cases of looting, arson, attempted murder with >> vehicle, etc. at the Capitol. There were many, many serious crimes committed
    at the BLM riots and very few at the Capitol.

You just don’t want to know that because you prefer to wallow in a wingnut
    victimization fantasy that simply isn’t true.

If 70% of people were charged for a certain type of offense in one case and >> 0% in another, you're claiming that's "quibbling over numbers". The fact that
    they charged BLM rioters for the much more serious crimes they committed is >> supposed to make up for that. I don't think anyone would quibble over
    charging Capitol rioters for offenses like that.

Fact -- they came down with jackboots on people whose great crime was
    trespassing and failure to disperse,

No, they didn’t. Many capital rioters got off easy, so much so than some of the judges questioned the lightness of the charges.

"Some of the judges". I wonder if those are judges who are normally light chargers of people who they think are sympathetic.

They apparently did the
    light, easy misdemeanor pleas last year giving you time to forget about
    them, and now the ringleaders who caught more serious charges are current
    in the news.

break windows or loot.

Actually, easily a thousand did, across the country. There were a whole lot
    of looters.

And lot of those who broke windows and committed vandalism were right wing plants.

You've got your own plants to blame, like the FBI!

It’s another example of how every Republican accusation is actually

It’s ironic that Enright is claiming the state is jackbooting conservatives in the same thread where you whine that not enough people were locked up
    for curfew violations.

Locked up? I said "not charged".

"crime against our republic"?

down congressman and Senators, sacking the house chamber and members
    offices, trying to stop the transfer of power…re: the latter if the rioters weren’t trying to stop the transfer of power what do you plausibly think they WERE trying to do as they chanted “Hang Mike Pence”?

Back at ya -- they didn't all break down barricades.

Kavanaugh

You mean the ones that vandalized and torched clinics? Or the one that
    killed Dr Tiller?

Or the Colbert staffers?

I see no difference between that and someone who entered as a Capitol
    police officer held the door for them.

Bottom line for me is that a much, much, MUCH smaller percentage of people
    who fueled the riots causing billions in damage and hundreds of deaths were charged.

(Yes, I blame a good part of the increased crime in the big cities on
    those riots and that action. Lack of charging emboldened criminals. If
    they'd been hit hard it would have saved many lives. If police had
    been backed up not nearly as many would have quit.)

--
    The minimum wage law is most properly described as a law saying
    employers must discriminate against people who have low skills.
    -- Milton Friedman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Tue Aug 23 12:45:15 2022
    On Tuesday, August 23, 2022 at 1:34:59 AM UTC-7, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

Then start shooting. Organize militias like you claim you have the right to and open fire.

Because that is THE ONLY WAY you are getting the cities back -- OR preventing them from showing up at your door.

Seriously.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Tue Aug 23 17:30:11 2022
    On 8/23/2022 3:45 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 23, 2022 at 1:34:59 AM UTC-7, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

Then start shooting. Organize militias like you claim you have the right to and open fire.

Because that is THE ONLY WAY you are getting the cities back -- OR preventing them from showing up at your door.

Seriously.

Mike

When I start hearing reports about roving bands of highwaymen
    I'll get concerned.

--
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 27 16:07:32 2022
    Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"

“Police officer held the door for them”

https://www.businessinsider.com/capitol-rioter-who-beat-police-officer-with-trump-flag-sentenced-2022-8

At about 1:38 p.m., Richardson was standing several feet away from the
    police line at the West Terrace with the flagpole," the DOJ statement read.
    "He raised it and forcefully swung it downward to strike an officer with
    the Metropolitan Police Department who was standing behind a metal
    barricade. Richardson then struck the officer two more times, using enough force to break the flagpole. Then, moments later, he joined other rioters
    in pushing a large metal sign into a line of law enforcement officers."

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sun Aug 28 08:43:47 2022
    On 2022-08-27, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

https://www.businessinsider.com/capitol-rioter-who-beat-police-officer-with-trump-flag-sentenced-2022-8

police line at the West Terrace with the flagpole," the DOJ statement read. "He raised it and forcefully swung it downward to strike an officer with
    barricade. Richardson then struck the officer two more times, using enough force to break the flagpole. Then, moments later, he joined other rioters

You're describing one entrance, not all entrances.

--
    There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
    -- Barney

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Sun Aug 28 12:30:44 2022

police line at the West Terrace with the flagpole," the DOJ statement read. >> "He raised it and forcefully swung it downward to strike an officer with
    barricade. Richardson then struck the officer two more times, using enough >> force to break the flagpole. Then, moments later, he joined other rioters

Is this the falsehood you’ve chosen to hold on to, to allow yourself to not admit to yourself what happened on Jan 6? Yes I’m describing one entrance because that’s one guy’s case. Remember this thread was started by complaining that the authorities were too harsh on the Capitol rioters.
    Given the description above were they too harsh on this guy?

Also here’s a more widespread description of multiple entrances:

…about 140 police officers were assaulted while trying to stop the mob from breaching the Capitol. There were hours-long battles between police and
    rioters near some entrances. CNN obtained footage from police body-worn
    cameras showing how dozens of officers engaged in hand-to-hand combat with rioters in a desperate effort to keep them out of the building.

There are plenty of instances where rioters waltzed into the Capitol
    without a fight, but only after they had stormed past barricades and, in
    some cases, even stepped through broken windows. In some areas, police were
    so outnumbered by the mob that they retreated, stood aside or tried to
    politely engage with rioters to de-escalate the situation rather than
    fighting or making arrests, but that is clearly not the same as welcoming rioters into the building.

..,,end quote…

So after being overwhelmed and assaulted at multiple entrances, with many suffering injuries, and their perimeter breaking down, some police didn’t actively continue to contest people’s entry.

That doesn’t constitute inviting them in. You know better.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sun Aug 28 19:19:52 2022
    On 2022-08-28, xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:

police line at the West Terrace with the flagpole," the DOJ statement read. >>> "He raised it and forcefully swung it downward to strike an officer with >>> the Metropolitan Police Department who was standing behind a metal
    barricade. Richardson then struck the officer two more times, using enough >>> force to break the flagpole. Then, moments later, he joined other rioters >>> in pushing a large metal sign into a line of law enforcement officers."

Is this the falsehood you’ve chosen to hold on to, to allow yourself to not admit to yourself what happened on Jan 6? Yes I’m describing one entrance because that’s one guy’s case. Remember this thread was started by complaining that the authorities were too harsh on the Capitol rioters.
    Given the description above were they too harsh on this guy?

Not in my opinion.

Also here’s a more widespread description of multiple entrances:

…about 140 police officers were assaulted while trying to stop the mob from breaching the Capitol. There were hours-long battles between police and rioters near some entrances. CNN obtained footage from police body-worn cameras showing how dozens of officers engaged in hand-to-hand combat with rioters in a desperate effort to keep them out of the building.

There are plenty of instances where rioters waltzed into the Capitol
    without a fight, but only after they had stormed past barricades and, in
    some cases, even stepped through broken windows. In some areas, police were so outnumbered by the mob that they retreated, stood aside or tried to politely engage with rioters to de-escalate the situation rather than fighting or making arrests, but that is clearly not the same as welcoming rioters into the building.

..,,end quote…

So after being overwhelmed and assaulted at multiple entrances, with many suffering injuries, and their perimeter breaking down, some police didn’t actively continue to contest people’s entry.

That doesn’t constitute inviting them in. You know better.

There are so many things in this world that come down to intent. It would
    never occur to me that I would need an invitation to enter the Rotunda. I have been there several times, and guess what? During business hours, I just
    walked in. It's a public building.

--
    That a few of us need to be more in touch with our feelings has obscured
    a deep truth: many more folks need to be much less in touch with theirs.
    -- Eric Weinstein

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Ramon@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Mon Aug 29 00:21:42 2022
    On Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 12:19:56 PM UTC-7, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

There are so many things in this world that come down to intent. It would never occur to me that I would need an invitation to enter the Rotunda. I have
    been there several times, and guess what? During business hours, I just walked in. It's a public building.

did you know that on that day electoral votes were being counted? You might be surprised to learn that many Republicans were trying to stop that and that the President of the United States was conducting a rally where he wanted his supporters to march to
    the Capitol. Some have suggested that he meant more than just "stand outside".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to Eric Ramon on Mon Aug 29 14:29:44 2022
    On 2022-08-29, Eric Ramon <ramon.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 12:19:56 PM UTC-7, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

There are so many things in this world that come down to intent. It would
    never occur to me that I would need an invitation to enter the Rotunda. I have
    been there several times, and guess what? During business hours, I just

did you know that on that day electoral votes were being counted? You
    might be surprised to learn that many Republicans were trying to stop
    that and that the President of the United States was conducting a
    rally where he wanted his supporters to march to the Capitol. Some
    have suggested that he meant more than just "stand outside".

To be honest, I had no idea anything was happening. He lost the election,
    it was over as far as I was concerned. I was (and am) glad to see the rear
    end of him as a consolation prize for the horribleness of electing the
    current obviously incompetant and corrupt occupant.

I'm just telling you -- it isn't a stretch to think that you have the right
    to go in the building. And not everyone is completely up on the latest "news", particularly when the purveyors thereof are so obviously putting their thumbs on the scale.

You'll get no argument from me about the obtuseness of Trump and his crowd.
    If I never heard of the man again it woud be too soon. What's odd is that I
    am certain that if he had been re-elected the world would be in a much better place right now.

--
    My children didn't have my advantages; I was born into
    abject poverty. -- Kirk Douglas

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Mon Aug 29 11:38:16 2022
    On 8/29/2022 10:29 AM, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

There are so many things in this world that come down to intent. It would >>> never occur to me that I would need an invitation to enter the Rotunda. I have
    been there several times, and guess what? During business hours, I just

it was over as far as I was concerned. I was (and am) glad to see the rear end of him as a consolation prize for the horribleness of electing the current obviously incompetant and corrupt occupant.

I'm just telling you -- it isn't a stretch to think that you have the right to go in the building. And not everyone is completely up on the latest "news",
    particularly when the purveyors thereof are so obviously putting their thumbs on the scale.

You'll get no argument from me about the obtuseness of Trump and his crowd. If I never heard of the man again it woud be too soon. What's odd is that I am certain that if he had been re-elected the world would be in a much better place right now.

+1

--
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to Ken Olson on Mon Aug 29 12:38:06 2022
    On 8/29/2022 11:38 AM, Ken Olson wrote:
    On Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 12:19:56 PM UTC-7, Con Reeder,
    unhyphenated American wrote:

There are so many things in this world that come down to intent. It
    would
    never occur to me that I would need an invitation to enter the
    Rotunda. I have
    been there several times, and guess what? During business hours, I just >>>> walked in. It's a public building.

it was over as far as I was concerned. I was (and am) glad to see the
    rear

I'm just telling you -- it isn't a stretch to think that you have the
    right
    to go in the building. And not everyone is completely up on the latest
    "news",
    particularly when the purveyors thereof are so obviously putting their
    thumbs
    on the scale.

You'll get no argument from me about the obtuseness of Trump and his
    crowd.
    If I never heard of the man again it woud be too soon. What's odd is
    that I
    am certain that if he had been re-elected the world would be in a much
    better
    place right now.

+1

That's funny. I did not know that delusional disorder was contagious and
    had gone viral. Maybe Hydroxychloroquine can be used off-label.

--
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Mon Aug 29 12:44:15 2022
    On 8/29/2022 12:38 PM, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
    On 8/29/2022 11:38 AM, Ken Olson wrote:
    On Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 12:19:56 PM UTC-7, Con Reeder,
    unhyphenated American wrote:

There are so many things in this world that come down to intent. It
    would
    never occur to me that I would need an invitation to enter the
    Rotunda. I have
    been there several times, and guess what? During business hours, I
    just

To be honest, I had no idea anything was happening. He lost the
    election,
    it was over as far as I was concerned. I was (and am) glad to see the
    rear

I'm just telling you -- it isn't a stretch to think that you have the
    right
    to go in the building. And not everyone is completely up on the
    latest "news",
    particularly when the purveyors thereof are so obviously putting
    their thumbs
    on the scale.

You'll get no argument from me about the obtuseness of Trump and his
    crowd.
    If I never heard of the man again it woud be too soon. What's odd is
    that I
    am certain that if he had been re-elected the world would be in a
    much better
    place right now.

+1

That's funny. I did not know that delusional disorder was contagious and
    had gone viral. Maybe Hydroxychloroquine can be used off-label.

DMT would be more appropriate, but only if the Democrats take part too.

--
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05