• Re: VOA Transmitter's 1942-1945

From Mike Lamb@21:1/5 to danbro...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 14 10:51:22 2022
    On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9:55:07 PM UTC-6, danbro...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 1, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Seifert, Rick wrote:
    Yes, the VOA interval signal prior to "Yankee Doodle" was "Columbia Gem
    of the Ocean". Thanks to all who answered.

On a similar vein, there has been some discussion of early VOA
    tramsmitter sites/call letters and so forth. Here's a brief synopsis:

The Voice of America began full scale broadcasts in November of 1942, at which time all independent shortwave stations in the United States were leased to the government by their owners.

The transmitter sites, call letters, and their owners were:
    San Francisco, Calif. KWID 100kw Assoc. Broadcasters Inc.
    Brentwood,L.I., New York WCBX 50kw CBS
    WCDA 10kw CBS
    WCRC 50kw CBS
    Mason, Ohio WLWO 75kw Crosley Corp.
    Belmont, Calif. KGEI 50kw General Electric Co.
    Schenectady, N.Y. WGEA 50kw General Electric
    WGEO 100kw General Electric
    Bound Brook N.J. WNBI 100kw NBC
    WRCA 100kw NBC
    Hull, Mass. WBOS 50kw Westinghouse Corp.
    Scituate, Mass WRUL 50kw
    World Wide Broad. Corp.
    WRUS 100kw World Wide
    WRUW 20kw World Wide

Wanting a greater shortwave presence, the OWI (office of War Information) was successfull in developing additional shortwave sites, also to be
    built and operated by private industry, in Delano and Dixon California in 1945. The Dixon site was built by NBC and was the home of KNBC, KNBI,
    and KNBX. The Delano site was built by CBS and was the home of KCBFand KCBA.

Construction at these sites added additional transmitters and call signs in late 1945/early 1946. The additions were KCBR at Delano and KNBA at Dixon.

This full time lease arrangement continued until 1947, when Walter Lemmon of WRUL fought for and won the right to again program his shortwave station, but only for 25 per cent of the time.

The Greenville transmitter site was dedicated in 1963 as the world's largest and most powerful shortwave facility (at the time). Call letters have never been assigned to this facility.

Rick Seifert
    Voice of America
    Washington, D.C. 20016
    rseif...@usia.gov
    (202)401-7104
    Rick:

Found this post by Googling. I am writing an article on the VoA and you might be able to provide further information.

Please email of you can.

Thanks,
    Dan
    W1DAN
    If it is of any interest, I have two General Radio GR-1931A Amplitude Modulation Monitors, both with labels for KCBR (the Delano CA CBS relay site as noted above). I would be interested in learning anything further about these and about KCBR, and would
    be glad to share photos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jo Reggelt@21:1/5 to Mike Lamb on Mon Jul 18 16:16:45 2022
    Mike Lamb <mlambmsee@gmail.com> wrote in news:0d1b338d-8468-494b-a336-d7b4db3b9537n@googlegroups.com:

If it is of any interest, I have two General Radio GR-1931A Amplitude Modulation Monitors, both with labels for KCBR (the Delano CA CBS relay
    site as noted above). I would be interested in learning anything further about these and about KCBR, and would be glad to share photos.

Hi Mike,
    We have two of these monitors in our spy museum. They came from C.I.A.
    funded spy number stations in S.E. Asia during the 1950's. I may
    include pictures of them in our next superb engima 2000 newsletter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?IiBcIktldmVuIEFsYmVydCBTd@21:1/5 to Mike Lamb on Mon Jul 18 12:22:49 2022
    Hi Mike,
    Jo Reggelt is one of those whingeing Pom elitist shitheads over at ENIGMA
    2000, he must have had his ass sewn shut, for all the horseshit®, that flows from his mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Jo Reggelt" wrote in message news:tb411c$4j2$1@gioia.aioe.org...

Mike Lamb <mlambmsee@gmail.com> wrote in news:0d1b338d-8468-494b-a336-d7b4db3b9537n@googlegroups.com:

If it is of any interest, I have two General Radio GR-1931A Amplitude Modulation Monitors, both with labels for KCBR (the Delano CA CBS relay
    site as noted above). I would be interested in learning anything further about these and about KCBR, and would be glad to share photos.

We have two of these monitors in our spy museum. They came from C.I.A.
    funded spy number stations in S.E. Asia during the 1950's. I may
    include pictures of them in our next superb engima 2000 newsletter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05