• my does my $10 p&s consistently produce better photos than my Pentax DS

From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 10:57:27 2022
    I have owned both a Pentax KX DSLR and a Samsung S630 p&s for a number
    of years. Recently, I began to sell coins from an estate. I wanted to
    capture the best photos possible, so brought out the Pentax and set it
    up on a tripod while not even considering the S630 because I was almost
    certain that the KX photos would be superior (I mean, that's the whole
    point between RAW versus JPG files right?(S630 only offers JPG)).
    However....

I was wrong! The S630 has consistently produced better images. Just
    why, I'm not certain. Maybe you could tell me. I use the same lighting
    set ups for both. I don't even use the tripod with the 630 and get
    sharper photos. With the Pentax, I can't even seem to get it to focus
    properly if, for example, I am doing image focus stacking in order to
    show the depth of a coin from the side. I've even tried to set the
    focus points manually, I get the beep confirmation, and then I'll still
    have a section out of focus. And the entire image isn't as sharp as the
    630. I've tried various F stops with the KX and will still end up with
    a softer image.

The 630, on the other hand, produces sharper images. Technically, its resolution is only half that of the KX (6 MB max versus 12 MB for the
    KX), but, even so, I continue to be impressed. I can't figure out why
    the contrast is better and the autofocus doesn't struggle like the KX
    does. Only drawback is that I can't set the focus point manually (that
    I know of), so have to move over various coin sections to try to get a
    capture of the area needed. Much to my surprise, the resulting JPGs are
    often workable in Photoshop. I can even sharpen them quite a bit
    without introducing noise. I've gone through three S630's over the
    years. When one goes bad (usually the flash), I toss it and order
    another from eBay for about $10.

At this point, I'm about to put away the Pentax. Just seems not quite
    right that the puny 630 should be doing so much better.

Ace

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David Taylor@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Tue Mar 29 16:19:24 2022
    On 29/03/2022 15:57, Ace Crysler wrote:
    of years. Recently, I began to sell coins from an estate. I wanted to capture the best photos possible, so brought out the Pentax and set it
    up on a tripod while not even considering the S630 because I was almost certain that the KX photos would be superior (I mean, that's the whole
    However....

sharper photos. With the Pentax, I can't even seem to get it to focus properly if, for example, I am doing image focus stacking in order to
    a softer image.

The 630, on the other hand, produces sharper images. Technically, its resolution is only half that of the KX (6 MB max versus 12 MB for the
    I know of), so have to move over various coin sections to try to get a capture of the area needed. Much to my surprise, the resulting JPGs are often workable in Photoshop. I can even sharpen them quite a bit

Ace

It sounds as if you're not getting the best from the Pentax, but if it was faulty you would know, I'm sure.

My own experience has been with much more recent phones, and with the Google Pixel 6 Pro my micro-four-thirds DSLR usage has dropped to virtually zero. Yes, there are times when it would give better results, but not a lot better. With the sort of photography you describe I would expect the Panasonic to do better.
    Any chance you would try a different lens on the Pentax?

--
    Cheers,
    David
    Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill W@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Tue Mar 29 10:44:28 2022
    On Mar 29, 2022, Ace Crysler wrote
    (in article <t1v6op$8m2$1@dont-email.me>):

of years. Recently, I began to sell coins from an estate. I wanted to
    capture the best photos possible, so brought out the Pentax and set it
    up on a tripod while not even considering the S630 because I was almost certain that the KX photos would be superior (I mean, that's the whole
    However....

sharper photos. With the Pentax, I can't even seem to get it to focus properly if, for example, I am doing image focus stacking in order to
    a softer image.

I know of), so have to move over various coin sections to try to get a capture of the area needed. Much to my surprise, the resulting JPGs are
    often workable in Photoshop. I can even sharpen them quite a bit

Ace

I don’t think you’ve posted here before, so no one is going to know your level of knowledge. What AF mode are you using? What camera mode? What lens?
    Is it clean? Are you sure you are beyond the minimum focus distance of that lens? What aperture and ISO? Are you sure the camera is actually focusing exactly where you want it to? And JPG’s can easily look better than unprocessed raw files, until you process those raws. That Pentax is a bit
    old, but should still take very good photos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 13:00:39 2022
    T24gMy8yOS8yMiAxMjo1MiwgQmlsbCBXIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBPbiBNYXIgMjksIDIwMjIsIEFj ZSBDcnlzbGVyIHdyb3RlDQo+IChpbiBhcnRpY2xlIDx0MXZjZ24kcGdxJDFAZG9udC1lbWFp bC5tZT4pOg0KPiANCj4+IE9uIDMvMjkvMjIgMTE6NDQsIEJpbGwgVyB3cm90ZToNCj4+PiBP biBNYXIgMjksIDIwMjIsIEFjZSBDcnlzbGVyIHdyb3RlDQo+Pj4gKGluIGFydGljbGUgPHQx djZvcCQ4bTIkMUBkb250LWVtYWlsLm1lPik6DQo+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gSSBoYXZlIG93bmVkIGJv dGggYSBQZW50YXggS1ggRFNMUiBhbmQgYSBTYW1zdW5nIFM2MzAgcCZzIGZvciBhIG51bWJl cg0KPj4+PiBvZiB5ZWFycy4gUmVjZW50bHksIEkgYmVnYW4gdG8gc2VsbCBjb2lucyBmcm9t IGFuIGVzdGF0ZS4gSSB3YW50ZWQgdG8NCj4+Pj4gY2FwdHVyZSB0aGUgYmVzdCBwaG90b3Mg cG9zc2libGUsIHNvIGJyb3VnaHQgb3V0IHRoZSBQZW50YXggYW5kIHNldCBpdA0KPj4+PiB1 cCBvbiBhIHRyaXBvZCB3aGlsZSBub3QgZXZlbiBjb25zaWRlcmluZyB0aGUgUzYzMCBiZWNh dXNlIEkgd2FzIGFsbW9zdA0KPj4+PiBjZXJ0YWluIHRoYXQgdGhlIEtYIHBob3RvcyB3b3Vs ZCBiZSBzdXBlcmlvciAoSSBtZWFuLCB0aGF0J3MgdGhlIHdob2xlDQo+Pj4+IHBvaW50IGJl dHdlZW4gUkFXIHZlcnN1cyBKUEcgZmlsZXMgcmlnaHQ/KFM2MzAgb25seSBvZmZlcnMgSlBH KSkuDQo+Pj4+IEhvd2V2ZXIuLi4uDQo+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+IEkgd2FzIHdyb25nISBUaGUgUzYz MCBoYXMgY29uc2lzdGVudGx5IHByb2R1Y2VkIGJldHRlciBpbWFnZXMuIEp1c3QNCj4+Pj4g d2h5LCBJJ20gbm90IGNlcnRhaW4uIE1heWJlIHlvdSBjb3VsZCB0ZWxsIG1lLiBJIHVzZSB0 aGUgc2FtZSBsaWdodGluZw0KPj4+PiBzZXQgdXBzIGZvciBib3RoLiBJIGRvbid0IGV2ZW4g dXNlIHRoZSB0cmlwb2Qgd2l0aCB0aGUgNjMwIGFuZCBnZXQNCj4+Pj4gc2hhcnBlciBwaG90 b3MuIFdpdGggdGhlIFBlbnRheCwgSSBjYW4ndCBldmVuIHNlZW0gdG8gZ2V0IGl0IHRvIGZv Y3VzDQo+Pj4+IHByb3Blcmx5IGlmLCBmb3IgZXhhbXBsZSwgSSBhbSBkb2luZyBpbWFnZSBm b2N1cyBzdGFja2luZyBpbiBvcmRlciB0bw0KPj4+PiBzaG93IHRoZSBkZXB0aCBvZiBhIGNv aW4gZnJvbSB0aGUgc2lkZS4gSSd2ZSBldmVuIHRyaWVkIHRvIHNldCB0aGUNCj4+Pj4gZm9j dXMgcG9pbnRzIG1hbnVhbGx5LCBJIGdldCB0aGUgYmVlcCBjb25maXJtYXRpb24sIGFuZCB0 aGVuIEknbGwgc3RpbGwNCj4+Pj4gaGF2ZSBhIHNlY3Rpb24gb3V0IG9mIGZvY3VzLiBBbmQg dGhlIGVudGlyZSBpbWFnZSBpc24ndCBhcyBzaGFycCBhcyB0aGUNCj4+Pj4gNjMwLiBJJ3Zl IHRyaWVkIHZhcmlvdXMgRiBzdG9wcyB3aXRoIHRoZSBLWCBhbmQgd2lsbCBzdGlsbCBlbmQg dXAgd2l0aA0KPj4+PiBhIHNvZnRlciBpbWFnZS4NCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gVGhlIDYzMCwgb24g dGhlIG90aGVyIGhhbmQsIHByb2R1Y2VzIHNoYXJwZXIgaW1hZ2VzLiBUZWNobmljYWxseSwg aXRzDQo+Pj4+IHJlc29sdXRpb24gaXMgb25seSBoYWxmIHRoYXQgb2YgdGhlIEtYICg2IE1C IG1heCB2ZXJzdXMgMTIgTUIgZm9yIHRoZQ0KPj4+PiBLWCksIGJ1dCwgZXZlbiBzbywgSSBj b250aW51ZSB0byBiZSBpbXByZXNzZWQuIEkgY2FuJ3QgZmlndXJlIG91dCB3aHkNCj4+Pj4g dGhlIGNvbnRyYXN0IGlzIGJldHRlciBhbmQgdGhlIGF1dG9mb2N1cyBkb2Vzbid0IHN0cnVn Z2xlIGxpa2UgdGhlIEtYDQo+Pj4+IGRvZXMuIE9ubHkgZHJhd2JhY2sgaXMgdGhhdCBJIGNh bid0IHNldCB0aGUgZm9jdXMgcG9pbnQgbWFudWFsbHkgKHRoYXQNCj4+Pj4gSSBrbm93IG9m KSwgc28gaGF2ZSB0byBtb3ZlIG92ZXIgdmFyaW91cyBjb2luIHNlY3Rpb25zIHRvIHRyeSB0 byBnZXQgYQ0KPj4+PiBjYXB0dXJlIG9mIHRoZSBhcmVhIG5lZWRlZC4gTXVjaCB0byBteSBz dXJwcmlzZSwgdGhlIHJlc3VsdGluZyBKUEdzIGFyZQ0KPj4+PiBvZnRlbiB3b3JrYWJsZSBp biBQaG90b3Nob3AuIEkgY2FuIGV2ZW4gc2hhcnBlbiB0aGVtIHF1aXRlIGEgYml0DQo+Pj4+ IHdpdGhvdXQgaW50cm9kdWNpbmcgbm9pc2UuIEkndmUgZ29uZSB0aHJvdWdoIHRocmVlIFM2 MzAncyBvdmVyIHRoZQ0KPj4+PiB5ZWFycy4gV2hlbiBvbmUgZ29lcyBiYWQgKHVzdWFsbHkg dGhlIGZsYXNoKSwgSSB0b3NzIGl0IGFuZCBvcmRlcg0KPj4+PiBhbm90aGVyIGZyb20gZUJh eSBmb3IgYWJvdXQgJDEwLg0KPj4+Pg0KPj4+PiBBdCB0aGlzIHBvaW50LCBJJ20gYWJvdXQg dG8gcHV0IGF3YXkgdGhlIFBlbnRheC4gSnVzdCBzZWVtcyBub3QgcXVpdGUNCj4+Pj4gcmln aHQgdGhhdCB0aGUgcHVueSA2MzAgc2hvdWxkIGJlIGRvaW5nIHNvIG11Y2ggYmV0dGVyLg0K Pj4+Pg0KPj4+PiBBY2UNCj4+Pg0KPj4+IEkgZG9u4oCZdCB0aGluayB5b3XigJl2ZSBwb3N0 ZWQgaGVyZSBiZWZvcmUsIHNvIG5vIG9uZSBpcyBnb2luZyB0byBrbm93IHlvdXINCj4+PiBs ZXZlbCBvZiBrbm93bGVkZ2UuIFdoYXQgQUYgbW9kZSBhcmUgeW91IHVzaW5nPyBXaGF0IGNh bWVyYSBtb2RlPyBXaGF0IGxlbnM/DQo+Pj4gSXMgaXQgY2xlYW4/IEFyZSB5b3Ugc3VyZSB5 b3UgYXJlIGJleW9uZCB0aGUgbWluaW11bSBmb2N1cyBkaXN0YW5jZSBvZiB0aGF0DQo+Pj4g bGVucz8gV2hhdCBhcGVydHVyZSBhbmQgSVNPPyBBcmUgeW91IHN1cmUgdGhlIGNhbWVyYSBp cyBhY3R1YWxseSBmb2N1c2luZw0KPj4+IGV4YWN0bHkgd2hlcmUgeW91IHdhbnQgaXQgdG8/ IEFuZCBKUEfigJlzIGNhbiBlYXNpbHkgbG9vayBiZXR0ZXIgdGhhbg0KPj4+IHVucHJvY2Vz c2VkIHJhdyBmaWxlcywgdW50aWwgeW91IHByb2Nlc3MgdGhvc2UgcmF3cy4gVGhhdCBQZW50 YXggaXMgYSBiaXQNCj4+PiBvbGQsIGJ1dCBzaG91bGQgc3RpbGwgdGFrZSB2ZXJ5IGdvb2Qg cGhvdG9zLg0KPj4NCj4+IE9rLCBzbyBJJ2xsIGNvbmNlbnRyYXRlIG9uIHRoZSBQZW50YXgg c2luY2UgdGhhdCBpcyB0aGUgY2FtZXJhIGluDQo+PiBxdWVzdGlvbi4gVG8gYW5zd2VyIHlv dXIgcXVlc3Rpb25zOiBJIGhhdmUgdHJpZWQgYm90aCBzcG90IGFuZCBtdWx0aSBBRg0KPj4g bW9kZXMsIGJvdGggYXV0byBhbmQgbWFudWFsLiBJJ3ZlIGV2ZW4gYWRqdXN0ZWQgdGhlIG1h bnVhbCBmb3INCj4+IHBvc2l0aW9uaW5nIG9uIHNjcmVlbiB0byBmb2N1cyBvbiBzcGVjaWZp YyBzcG90cy4gQUYgaXMgc2V0IHRvIGF1dG8NCj4+IGN1cnJlbnRseSwgYnV0IEkgaGF2ZSBh bHNvIHRyaWVkIG1hbnVhbCB0byBubyBhdmFpbC4gSSBhbSB1c2luZyB0aGUNCj4+IG9yaWdp bmFsIGtpdCBsZW5zLiBJIGRvIGhhdmUgdGVsZXBob3RvIGxlbnNlcyBzdWNoIGFzIDEzNSBh bmQgMjAwIG1tLA0KPj4gYnV0IHRoYXQgd291bGQgY29tcGxpY2F0ZSBtYXR0ZXJzIGFzIHRo ZXkgd291bGQgcGxhY2UgdGhlIGNvaW4tbGVucw0KPj4gZGlzdGFuY2UgdG9vIGZhciBhd2F5 IGZvciBtZSB0byBiZSBhYmxlIHRvIGFkanVzdCB0aGUgbGlnaHRpbmcgcHJvcGVybHkuDQo+ PiBJIGFsc28gaGF2ZSBhIDUwbW0gUGVudGF4IHByaW1lIGxlbnMgSSBoYXZlIG5vdCB0cmll ZCBmb3IgdGhpcy4gSQ0KPj4gd291bGRuJ3QgdGhpbmsgdGhhdCBJIHdvdWxkIHJlY2VpdmUg YSBiZWVwIGNvbmZpcm1hdGlvbiBpZiBpbiBhdXRvIGZvY3VzDQo+PiBpZiBpdCB3YXNuJ3Qg Zm9jdXNlZCg/KS4gSSB1c2UgdmFyaW91cyBhcGVydHVyZXMuIEZvciBjb2lucywgSSd2ZQ0K Pj4gdHJpZWQgdG8gc3RpY2sgYXJvdW5kIEYxMyBvciBzbywgYnV0IEkgaGF2ZSB0cmllZCBk b3duIHRvIEY1LjYgYW5kDQo+PiBhdHRlbXB0ZWQgdG8gZG8gbW9yZSBmb2N1c2luZyBvZiBj ZXJ0YWluIHNlY3Rpb25zIHNpbmNlIHRoZXJlJ3Mgbm90IGFzDQo+PiBtdWNoIGZvY3VzIGF2 YWlsYWJsZS4gSVNPIGlzIGFsd2F5cyBzZXQgdG8gMjAwIG9yIGxlc3MuIEkgYWxzbyBuZXZl cg0KPj4gcXVpdGUgZ2V0IHRoZSBzYW1lIGNvbG9yaW5nIG9yIGNvbnRyYXN0IG9mIHRoZSBT YW1zdW5nLCB0aGUgbGF0dGVyIG9mDQo+PiB3aGljaCBhbHdheXMgaGFzIGJldHRlciBvZiBl YWNoLiBQZXJoYXBzIGl0J3MgdGhlIG9yaWdpbmFsIGtpdCBsZW5zLA0KPj4gYnV0IEkgd291 bGQgdGhpbmsgc3RvcHBlZCBkb3duIGFzIEkgZG8gdGhhdCBwZXJmb3JtYW5jZSB3b3VsZCBi ZSBiZXR0ZXIuDQo+IA0KPiBJIHdvdWxkIGF0IGxlYXN0IHRyeSB0aGUgNTBtbSBsZW5zIHRv IGVsaW1pbmF0ZSB0aGF0LiBXaGF0IGlzIHRoZSBzaHV0dGVyDQo+IHNwZWVkLCBhbmQgYXJl IHlvdSB1c2luZyB0aGUgdHJpcG9kIHdpdGggdGhlIFBlbnRheD8gQW5kIGRvZXMgdGhlIEtY IGhhdmUgYQ0KPiBmb2N1cyBpbmRpY2F0b3IgdGhhdCBzaG93cyBleGFjdGx5IHdoZXJlIGl0 IGlzIGZvY3VzaW5nPyBBbmQgYXJlIHlvdQ0KPiBwcm9jZXNzaW5nIHRoZSByYXcgZmlsZXMg YmVmb3JlIHlvdSBjb21wYXJlPyBJZiBub3QsIHRyeSBzb21lIGpwZ+KAmXMgb24gdGhlDQo+ IFBlbnRheC4gT3RoZXIgdGhhbiB3aGF0IEnigJl2ZSBhbHJlYWR5IHNhaWQsIEkgaGF2ZSBu byBvdGhlciBpZGVhcy4NCj4gDQoNCkkgdHJ5IHRvIGtlZXAgdGhlIHNodXR0ZXIgYXQgbGVh c3QgMS81MDAgdG8gYXZvaWQgc2hha2VzLiAgT24gdGhlIHRyaXBvZCANCnRob3VnaCwgSSBj YW4gZ28gbGVzcyBvZiBjb3Vyc2UuICBZZXMsIEkgbm9ybWFsbHkgdXNlIGEgdHJpcG9kIHdp dGggdGhlIA0KS1guICBJIHdpbGwgaGF2ZSB0byBzZWUgaWYgaXQgc2hvd3MgZXhhY3RseSB3 aGVyZSBmb2N1c2luZywgYnV0IEkgDQp1c3VhbGx5IHpvb20gaW4gdG8gc2VlIHdoZXJlIGl0 IGlzIG9uIGxpdmUgdmlldy4gIFllcywgb25jZSB0aGUgcmF3cyBhcmUgDQpwcm9jZXNzZWQs IEkgc2VlIGJldHRlciBxdWFsaXR5IHdpdGggdGhlIFNhbXN1bmcuICBQZXJoYXBzIEknbGwg dHJ5IHRoZSANCjUwbW0gcHJpbWUgYW5kIHNlZSBob3cgaXQgZ29lcy4gIEknbSBub3QgaG9s ZGluZyBteSBicmVhdGggdGhvdWdoLg0KDQpJbiB0aGUgcGFzdCwgSSd2ZSB1c2VkIHRoZSBQ ZW50YXggZm9yIHBob3RvZ3JhcGhpbmcgaW5zZWN0cyBkb3duIHRvIHRoZSANCm1hY3JvIGxl dmVsLiAgSSB1c2VkIHR1YmVzIHRvIG1vdmUgdGhlIGxlbnMgYXdheSBmcm9tIHRoZSBib2R5 IGlmIHVuYWJsZSANCnRvIGdldCBjbG9zZSBlbm91Z2ggd2l0aCBjdXJyZW50IGxlbnNlcy4g IEhvd2V2ZXIsIG11Y2ggb2YgdGhlIHRpbWUgeWV0IA0KYWdhaW4gdGhlIFNhbXN1bmcgd2Fz IHRoZSB3aW5uZXIgd2l0aCBib3RoIGJldHRlciBjb250cmFzdCwgZm9jdXMsIGFuZCANCmNv bG9yLiAgSSBkaWQgYWN0dWFsbHkgdXNlIHRoZSA1MG1tIHByaW1lIGZvciBtdWNoIG9mIHRo ZSBpbnNlY3Qgd29yay4gDQoNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill W@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Tue Mar 29 11:52:19 2022
    (in article <t1vcgn$pgq$1@dont-email.me>):

On 3/29/22 11:44, Bill W wrote:

of years. Recently, I began to sell coins from an estate. I wanted to capture the best photos possible, so brought out the Pentax and set it
    up on a tripod while not even considering the S630 because I was almost certain that the KX photos would be superior (I mean, that's the whole point between RAW versus JPG files right?(S630 only offers JPG)). However....

why, I'm not certain. Maybe you could tell me. I use the same lighting set ups for both. I don't even use the tripod with the 630 and get sharper photos. With the Pentax, I can't even seem to get it to focus properly if, for example, I am doing image focus stacking in order to show the depth of a coin from the side. I've even tried to set the
    focus points manually, I get the beep confirmation, and then I'll still have a section out of focus. And the entire image isn't as sharp as the 630. I've tried various F stops with the KX and will still end up with
    a softer image.

The 630, on the other hand, produces sharper images. Technically, its resolution is only half that of the KX (6 MB max versus 12 MB for the KX), but, even so, I continue to be impressed. I can't figure out why
    the contrast is better and the autofocus doesn't struggle like the KX does. Only drawback is that I can't set the focus point manually (that
    I know of), so have to move over various coin sections to try to get a capture of the area needed. Much to my surprise, the resulting JPGs are often workable in Photoshop. I can even sharpen them quite a bit

At this point, I'm about to put away the Pentax. Just seems not quite right that the puny 630 should be doing so much better.

Ace

I don’t think you’ve posted here before, so no one is going to know your
    level of knowledge. What AF mode are you using? What camera mode? What lens?
    Is it clean? Are you sure you are beyond the minimum focus distance of that lens? What aperture and ISO? Are you sure the camera is actually focusing exactly where you want it to? And JPG’s can easily look better than unprocessed raw files, until you process those raws. That Pentax is a bit old, but should still take very good photos.

Ok, so I'll concentrate on the Pentax since that is the camera in
    question. To answer your questions: I have tried both spot and multi AF modes, both auto and manual. I've even adjusted the manual for
    positioning on screen to focus on specific spots. AF is set to auto currently, but I have also tried manual to no avail. I am using the
    original kit lens. I do have telephoto lenses such as 135 and 200 mm,
    but that would complicate matters as they would place the coin-lens
    distance too far away for me to be able to adjust the lighting properly.
    I also have a 50mm Pentax prime lens I have not tried for this. I
    wouldn't think that I would receive a beep confirmation if in auto focus
    if it wasn't focused(?). I use various apertures. For coins, I've
    tried to stick around F13 or so, but I have tried down to F5.6 and
    attempted to do more focusing of certain sections since there's not as
    much focus available. ISO is always set to 200 or less. I also never
    quite get the same coloring or contrast of the Samsung, the latter of
    which always has better of each. Perhaps it's the original kit lens,
    but I would think stopped down as I do that performance would be better.

I would at least try the 50mm lens to eliminate that. What is the shutter speed, and are you using the tripod with the Pentax? And does the KX have a focus indicator that shows exactly where it is focusing? And are you
    processing the raw files before you compare? If not, try some jpg’s on the Pentax. Other than what I’ve already said, I have no other ideas.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 12:35:33 2022
    T24gMy8yOS8yMiAxMTo0NCwgQmlsbCBXIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBPbiBNYXIgMjksIDIwMjIsIEFj ZSBDcnlzbGVyIHdyb3RlDQo+IChpbiBhcnRpY2xlIDx0MXY2b3AkOG0yJDFAZG9udC1lbWFp bC5tZT4pOg0KPiANCj4+IEkgaGF2ZSBvd25lZCBib3RoIGEgUGVudGF4IEtYIERTTFIgYW5k IGEgU2Ftc3VuZyBTNjMwIHAmcyBmb3IgYSBudW1iZXINCj4+IG9mIHllYXJzLiBSZWNlbnRs eSwgSSBiZWdhbiB0byBzZWxsIGNvaW5zIGZyb20gYW4gZXN0YXRlLiBJIHdhbnRlZCB0bw0K Pj4gY2FwdHVyZSB0aGUgYmVzdCBwaG90b3MgcG9zc2libGUsIHNvIGJyb3VnaHQgb3V0IHRo ZSBQZW50YXggYW5kIHNldCBpdA0KPj4gdXAgb24gYSB0cmlwb2Qgd2hpbGUgbm90IGV2ZW4g Y29uc2lkZXJpbmcgdGhlIFM2MzAgYmVjYXVzZSBJIHdhcyBhbG1vc3QNCj4+IGNlcnRhaW4g dGhhdCB0aGUgS1ggcGhvdG9zIHdvdWxkIGJlIHN1cGVyaW9yIChJIG1lYW4sIHRoYXQncyB0 aGUgd2hvbGUNCj4+IHBvaW50IGJldHdlZW4gUkFXIHZlcnN1cyBKUEcgZmlsZXMgcmlnaHQ/ KFM2MzAgb25seSBvZmZlcnMgSlBHKSkuDQo+PiBIb3dldmVyLi4uLg0KPj4NCj4+IEkgd2Fz IHdyb25nISBUaGUgUzYzMCBoYXMgY29uc2lzdGVudGx5IHByb2R1Y2VkIGJldHRlciBpbWFn ZXMuIEp1c3QNCj4+IHdoeSwgSSdtIG5vdCBjZXJ0YWluLiBNYXliZSB5b3UgY291bGQgdGVs bCBtZS4gSSB1c2UgdGhlIHNhbWUgbGlnaHRpbmcNCj4+IHNldCB1cHMgZm9yIGJvdGguIEkg ZG9uJ3QgZXZlbiB1c2UgdGhlIHRyaXBvZCB3aXRoIHRoZSA2MzAgYW5kIGdldA0KPj4gc2hh cnBlciBwaG90b3MuIFdpdGggdGhlIFBlbnRheCwgSSBjYW4ndCBldmVuIHNlZW0gdG8gZ2V0 IGl0IHRvIGZvY3VzDQo+PiBwcm9wZXJseSBpZiwgZm9yIGV4YW1wbGUsIEkgYW0gZG9pbmcg aW1hZ2UgZm9jdXMgc3RhY2tpbmcgaW4gb3JkZXIgdG8NCj4+IHNob3cgdGhlIGRlcHRoIG9m IGEgY29pbiBmcm9tIHRoZSBzaWRlLiBJJ3ZlIGV2ZW4gdHJpZWQgdG8gc2V0IHRoZQ0KPj4g Zm9jdXMgcG9pbnRzIG1hbnVhbGx5LCBJIGdldCB0aGUgYmVlcCBjb25maXJtYXRpb24sIGFu ZCB0aGVuIEknbGwgc3RpbGwNCj4+IGhhdmUgYSBzZWN0aW9uIG91dCBvZiBmb2N1cy4gQW5k IHRoZSBlbnRpcmUgaW1hZ2UgaXNuJ3QgYXMgc2hhcnAgYXMgdGhlDQo+PiA2MzAuIEkndmUg dHJpZWQgdmFyaW91cyBGIHN0b3BzIHdpdGggdGhlIEtYIGFuZCB3aWxsIHN0aWxsIGVuZCB1 cCB3aXRoDQo+PiBhIHNvZnRlciBpbWFnZS4NCj4+DQo+PiBUaGUgNjMwLCBvbiB0aGUgb3Ro ZXIgaGFuZCwgcHJvZHVjZXMgc2hhcnBlciBpbWFnZXMuIFRlY2huaWNhbGx5LCBpdHMNCj4+ IHJlc29sdXRpb24gaXMgb25seSBoYWxmIHRoYXQgb2YgdGhlIEtYICg2IE1CIG1heCB2ZXJz dXMgMTIgTUIgZm9yIHRoZQ0KPj4gS1gpLCBidXQsIGV2ZW4gc28sIEkgY29udGludWUgdG8g YmUgaW1wcmVzc2VkLiBJIGNhbid0IGZpZ3VyZSBvdXQgd2h5DQo+PiB0aGUgY29udHJhc3Qg aXMgYmV0dGVyIGFuZCB0aGUgYXV0b2ZvY3VzIGRvZXNuJ3Qgc3RydWdnbGUgbGlrZSB0aGUg S1gNCj4+IGRvZXMuIE9ubHkgZHJhd2JhY2sgaXMgdGhhdCBJIGNhbid0IHNldCB0aGUgZm9j dXMgcG9pbnQgbWFudWFsbHkgKHRoYXQNCj4+IEkga25vdyBvZiksIHNvIGhhdmUgdG8gbW92 ZSBvdmVyIHZhcmlvdXMgY29pbiBzZWN0aW9ucyB0byB0cnkgdG8gZ2V0IGENCj4+IGNhcHR1 cmUgb2YgdGhlIGFyZWEgbmVlZGVkLiBNdWNoIHRvIG15IHN1cnByaXNlLCB0aGUgcmVzdWx0 aW5nIEpQR3MgYXJlDQo+PiBvZnRlbiB3b3JrYWJsZSBpbiBQaG90b3Nob3AuIEkgY2FuIGV2 ZW4gc2hhcnBlbiB0aGVtIHF1aXRlIGEgYml0DQo+PiB3aXRob3V0IGludHJvZHVjaW5nIG5v aXNlLiBJJ3ZlIGdvbmUgdGhyb3VnaCB0aHJlZSBTNjMwJ3Mgb3ZlciB0aGUNCj4+IHllYXJz LiBXaGVuIG9uZSBnb2VzIGJhZCAodXN1YWxseSB0aGUgZmxhc2gpLCBJIHRvc3MgaXQgYW5k IG9yZGVyDQo+PiBhbm90aGVyIGZyb20gZUJheSBmb3IgYWJvdXQgJDEwLg0KPj4NCj4+IEF0 IHRoaXMgcG9pbnQsIEknbSBhYm91dCB0byBwdXQgYXdheSB0aGUgUGVudGF4LiBKdXN0IHNl ZW1zIG5vdCBxdWl0ZQ0KPj4gcmlnaHQgdGhhdCB0aGUgcHVueSA2MzAgc2hvdWxkIGJlIGRv aW5nIHNvIG11Y2ggYmV0dGVyLg0KPj4NCj4+IEFjZQ0KPiANCj4gSSBkb27igJl0IHRoaW5r IHlvdeKAmXZlIHBvc3RlZCBoZXJlIGJlZm9yZSwgc28gbm8gb25lIGlzIGdvaW5nIHRvIGtu b3cgeW91cg0KPiBsZXZlbCBvZiBrbm93bGVkZ2UuIFdoYXQgQUYgbW9kZSBhcmUgeW91IHVz aW5nPyBXaGF0IGNhbWVyYSBtb2RlPyBXaGF0IGxlbnM/DQo+IElzIGl0IGNsZWFuPyBBcmUg eW91IHN1cmUgeW91IGFyZSBiZXlvbmQgdGhlIG1pbmltdW0gZm9jdXMgZGlzdGFuY2Ugb2Yg dGhhdA0KPiBsZW5zPyBXaGF0IGFwZXJ0dXJlIGFuZCBJU08/IEFyZSB5b3Ugc3VyZSB0aGUg Y2FtZXJhIGlzIGFjdHVhbGx5IGZvY3VzaW5nDQo+IGV4YWN0bHkgd2hlcmUgeW91IHdhbnQg aXQgdG8/IEFuZCBKUEfigJlzIGNhbiBlYXNpbHkgbG9vayBiZXR0ZXIgdGhhbg0KPiB1bnBy b2Nlc3NlZCByYXcgZmlsZXMsIHVudGlsIHlvdSBwcm9jZXNzIHRob3NlIHJhd3MuIFRoYXQg UGVudGF4IGlzIGEgYml0DQo+IG9sZCwgYnV0IHNob3VsZCBzdGlsbCB0YWtlIHZlcnkgZ29v ZCBwaG90b3MuDQo+IA0KDQpPaywgc28gSSdsbCBjb25jZW50cmF0ZSBvbiB0aGUgUGVudGF4 IHNpbmNlIHRoYXQgaXMgdGhlIGNhbWVyYSBpbiANCnF1ZXN0aW9uLiAgVG8gYW5zd2VyIHlv dXIgcXVlc3Rpb25zOiBJIGhhdmUgdHJpZWQgYm90aCBzcG90IGFuZCBtdWx0aSBBRiANCm1v ZGVzLCBib3RoIGF1dG8gYW5kIG1hbnVhbC4gIEkndmUgZXZlbiBhZGp1c3RlZCB0aGUgbWFu dWFsIGZvciANCnBvc2l0aW9uaW5nIG9uIHNjcmVlbiB0byBmb2N1cyBvbiBzcGVjaWZpYyBz cG90cy4gIEFGIGlzIHNldCB0byBhdXRvIA0KY3VycmVudGx5LCBidXQgSSBoYXZlIGFsc28g dHJpZWQgbWFudWFsIHRvIG5vIGF2YWlsLiAgSSBhbSB1c2luZyB0aGUgDQpvcmlnaW5hbCBr aXQgbGVucy4gIEkgZG8gaGF2ZSB0ZWxlcGhvdG8gbGVuc2VzIHN1Y2ggYXMgMTM1IGFuZCAy MDAgbW0sIA0KYnV0IHRoYXQgd291bGQgY29tcGxpY2F0ZSBtYXR0ZXJzIGFzIHRoZXkgd291 bGQgcGxhY2UgdGhlIGNvaW4tbGVucyANCmRpc3RhbmNlIHRvbyBmYXIgYXdheSBmb3IgbWUg dG8gYmUgYWJsZSB0byBhZGp1c3QgdGhlIGxpZ2h0aW5nIHByb3Blcmx5LiANCiAgSSBhbHNv IGhhdmUgYSA1MG1tIFBlbnRheCBwcmltZSBsZW5zIEkgaGF2ZSBub3QgdHJpZWQgZm9yIHRo aXMuICBJIA0Kd291bGRuJ3QgdGhpbmsgdGhhdCBJIHdvdWxkIHJlY2VpdmUgYSBiZWVwIGNv bmZpcm1hdGlvbiBpZiBpbiBhdXRvIGZvY3VzIA0KaWYgaXQgd2Fzbid0IGZvY3VzZWQoPyku ICBJIHVzZSB2YXJpb3VzIGFwZXJ0dXJlcy4gIEZvciBjb2lucywgSSd2ZSANCnRyaWVkIHRv IHN0aWNrIGFyb3VuZCBGMTMgb3Igc28sIGJ1dCBJIGhhdmUgdHJpZWQgZG93biB0byBGNS42 IGFuZCANCmF0dGVtcHRlZCB0byBkbyBtb3JlIGZvY3VzaW5nIG9mIGNlcnRhaW4gc2VjdGlv bnMgc2luY2UgdGhlcmUncyBub3QgYXMgDQptdWNoIGZvY3VzIGF2YWlsYWJsZS4gIElTTyBp cyBhbHdheXMgc2V0IHRvIDIwMCBvciBsZXNzLiAgSSBhbHNvIG5ldmVyIA0KcXVpdGUgZ2V0 IHRoZSBzYW1lIGNvbG9yaW5nIG9yIGNvbnRyYXN0IG9mIHRoZSBTYW1zdW5nLCB0aGUgbGF0 dGVyIG9mIA0Kd2hpY2ggYWx3YXlzIGhhcyBiZXR0ZXIgb2YgZWFjaC4gIFBlcmhhcHMgaXQn cyB0aGUgb3JpZ2luYWwga2l0IGxlbnMsIA0KYnV0IEkgd291bGQgdGhpbmsgc3RvcHBlZCBk b3duIGFzIEkgZG8gdGhhdCBwZXJmb3JtYW5jZSB3b3VsZCBiZSBiZXR0ZXIuDQoNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 12:40:18 2022
    T24gMy8yOS8yMiAxMToxOSwgRGF2aWQgVGF5bG9yIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBPbiAyOS8wMy8yMDIy IDE1OjU3LCBBY2UgQ3J5c2xlciB3cm90ZToNCj4+IEkgaGF2ZSBvd25lZCBib3RoIGEgUGVu dGF4IEtYIERTTFIgYW5kIGEgU2Ftc3VuZyBTNjMwIHAmcyBmb3IgYSBudW1iZXINCj4+IG9m IHllYXJzLiBSZWNlbnRseSwgSSBiZWdhbiB0byBzZWxsIGNvaW5zIGZyb20gYW4gZXN0YXRl LsKgIEkgd2FudGVkIHRvDQo+PiBjYXB0dXJlIHRoZSBiZXN0IHBob3RvcyBwb3NzaWJsZSwg c28gYnJvdWdodCBvdXQgdGhlIFBlbnRheCBhbmQgc2V0IGl0DQo+PiB1cCBvbiBhIHRyaXBv ZCB3aGlsZSBub3QgZXZlbiBjb25zaWRlcmluZyB0aGUgUzYzMCBiZWNhdXNlIEkgd2FzIGFs bW9zdA0KPj4gY2VydGFpbiB0aGF0IHRoZSBLWCBwaG90b3Mgd291bGQgYmUgc3VwZXJpb3Ig KEkgbWVhbiwgdGhhdCdzIHRoZSB3aG9sZQ0KPj4gcG9pbnQgYmV0d2VlbiBSQVcgdmVyc3Vz IEpQRyBmaWxlcyByaWdodD8oUzYzMCBvbmx5IG9mZmVycyBKUEcpKS4NCj4+IEhvd2V2ZXIu Li4uDQo+Pg0KPj4gSSB3YXMgd3JvbmchwqAgVGhlIFM2MzAgaGFzIGNvbnNpc3RlbnRseSBw cm9kdWNlZCBiZXR0ZXIgaW1hZ2VzLsKgIEp1c3QNCj4+IHdoeSwgSSdtIG5vdCBjZXJ0YWlu LsKgIE1heWJlIHlvdSBjb3VsZCB0ZWxsIG1lLsKgIEkgdXNlIHRoZSBzYW1lIGxpZ2h0aW5n DQo+PiBzZXQgdXBzIGZvciBib3RoLsKgIEkgZG9uJ3QgZXZlbiB1c2UgdGhlIHRyaXBvZCB3 aXRoIHRoZSA2MzAgYW5kIGdldA0KPj4gc2hhcnBlciBwaG90b3MuwqAgV2l0aCB0aGUgUGVu dGF4LCBJIGNhbid0IGV2ZW4gc2VlbSB0byBnZXQgaXQgdG8gZm9jdXMNCj4+IHByb3Blcmx5 IGlmLCBmb3IgZXhhbXBsZSwgSSBhbSBkb2luZyBpbWFnZSBmb2N1cyBzdGFja2luZyBpbiBv cmRlciB0bw0KPj4gc2hvdyB0aGUgZGVwdGggb2YgYSBjb2luIGZyb20gdGhlIHNpZGUuwqAg SSd2ZSBldmVuIHRyaWVkIHRvIHNldCB0aGUNCj4+IGZvY3VzIHBvaW50cyBtYW51YWxseSwg SSBnZXQgdGhlIGJlZXAgY29uZmlybWF0aW9uLCBhbmQgdGhlbiBJJ2xsIHN0aWxsDQo+PiBo YXZlIGEgc2VjdGlvbiBvdXQgb2YgZm9jdXMuwqAgQW5kIHRoZSBlbnRpcmUgaW1hZ2UgaXNu J3QgYXMgc2hhcnAgYXMgdGhlDQo+PiA2MzAuwqAgSSd2ZSB0cmllZCB2YXJpb3VzIEYgc3Rv cHMgd2l0aCB0aGUgS1ggYW5kIHdpbGwgc3RpbGwgZW5kIHVwIHdpdGgNCj4+IGEgc29mdGVy IGltYWdlLg0KPj4NCj4+IFRoZSA2MzAsIG9uIHRoZSBvdGhlciBoYW5kLCBwcm9kdWNlcyBz aGFycGVyIGltYWdlcy7CoCBUZWNobmljYWxseSwgaXRzDQo+PiByZXNvbHV0aW9uIGlzIG9u bHkgaGFsZiB0aGF0IG9mIHRoZSBLWCAoNiBNQiBtYXggdmVyc3VzIDEyIE1CIGZvciB0aGUN Cj4+IEtYKSwgYnV0LCBldmVuIHNvLCBJIGNvbnRpbnVlIHRvIGJlIGltcHJlc3NlZC7CoCBJ IGNhbid0IGZpZ3VyZSBvdXQgd2h5DQo+PiB0aGUgY29udHJhc3QgaXMgYmV0dGVyIGFuZCB0 aGUgYXV0b2ZvY3VzIGRvZXNuJ3Qgc3RydWdnbGUgbGlrZSB0aGUgS1gNCj4+IGRvZXMuwqAg T25seSBkcmF3YmFjayBpcyB0aGF0IEkgY2FuJ3Qgc2V0IHRoZSBmb2N1cyBwb2ludCBtYW51 YWxseSAodGhhdA0KPj4gSSBrbm93IG9mKSwgc28gaGF2ZSB0byBtb3ZlIG92ZXIgdmFyaW91 cyBjb2luIHNlY3Rpb25zIHRvIHRyeSB0byBnZXQgYQ0KPj4gY2FwdHVyZSBvZiB0aGUgYXJl YSBuZWVkZWQuwqAgTXVjaCB0byBteSBzdXJwcmlzZSwgdGhlIHJlc3VsdGluZyBKUEdzIGFy ZQ0KPj4gb2Z0ZW4gd29ya2FibGUgaW4gUGhvdG9zaG9wLsKgIEkgY2FuIGV2ZW4gc2hhcnBl biB0aGVtIHF1aXRlIGEgYml0DQo+PiB3aXRob3V0IGludHJvZHVjaW5nIG5vaXNlLsKgIEkn dmUgZ29uZSB0aHJvdWdoIHRocmVlIFM2MzAncyBvdmVyIHRoZQ0KPj4geWVhcnMuwqAgV2hl biBvbmUgZ29lcyBiYWQgKHVzdWFsbHkgdGhlIGZsYXNoKSwgSSB0b3NzIGl0IGFuZCBvcmRl cg0KPj4gYW5vdGhlciBmcm9tIGVCYXkgZm9yIGFib3V0ICQxMC4NCj4+DQo+PiBBdCB0aGlz IHBvaW50LCBJJ20gYWJvdXQgdG8gcHV0IGF3YXkgdGhlIFBlbnRheC7CoCBKdXN0IHNlZW1z IG5vdCBxdWl0ZQ0KPj4gcmlnaHQgdGhhdCB0aGUgcHVueSA2MzAgc2hvdWxkIGJlIGRvaW5n IHNvIG11Y2ggYmV0dGVyLg0KPj4NCj4+IEFjZQ0KPiANCj4gSXQgc291bmRzIGFzIGlmIHlv dSdyZSBub3QgZ2V0dGluZyB0aGUgYmVzdCBmcm9tIHRoZSBQZW50YXgsIGJ1dCBpZiBpdCAN Cj4gd2FzIGZhdWx0eSB5b3Ugd291bGQga25vdywgSSdtIHN1cmUuDQoNClRoZSBvbmx5IGZh dWx0IEkgaGFkIHVudGlsIHRoZSBvdGhlciBkYXkgd2FzIHRoYXQgdGhlIGF1dG8gZm9jdXMg c3RvcHBlZCANCndvcmtpbmcuICBDbGVhbmluZyB0aGUgc3dpdGNoIHdpdGggYSBsaXR0bGUg ZWxlY3Ryb25pYyBjbGVhbmVyIHJlc3RvcmVkIA0Kb3BlcmF0aW9uLg0KDQo+IA0KPiBNeSBv d24gZXhwZXJpZW5jZSBoYXMgYmVlbiB3aXRoIG11Y2ggbW9yZSByZWNlbnQgcGhvbmVzLCBh bmQgd2l0aCB0aGUgDQo+IEdvb2dsZSBQaXhlbCA2IFBybyBteSBtaWNyby1mb3VyLXRoaXJk cyBEU0xSIHVzYWdlIGhhcyBkcm9wcGVkIHRvIA0KPiB2aXJ0dWFsbHkgemVyby4gWWVzLCB0 aGVyZSBhcmUgdGltZXMgd2hlbiBpdCB3b3VsZCBnaXZlIGJldHRlciByZXN1bHRzLCANCj4g YnV0IG5vdCBhIGxvdCBiZXR0ZXIuwqAgV2l0aCB0aGUgc29ydCBvZiBwaG90b2dyYXBoeSB5 b3UgZGVzY3JpYmUgSSB3b3VsZCANCj4gZXhwZWN0IHRoZSBQYW5hc29uaWMgdG8gZG8gYmV0 dGVyLiDCoEFueSBjaGFuY2UgeW91IHdvdWxkIHRyeSBhIGRpZmZlcmVudCANCj4gbGVucyBv biB0aGUgUGVudGF4Pw0KDQpJIGNvdWxkIHRyeSBkaWZmZXJlbnQgbGVuc2VzLiAgSSBoYXZl IE00MiBiYXNlZCAxMzUgYW5kIDIwMCBtbSBsZW5zZXMsIA0KYnV0IG9mIGNvdXJzZSBubyBh dXRvIGZvY3VzIGFuZCB0aGUgZ3JlYXRlciBsZW5zLWNhbWVyYSBkaXN0YW5jZXMgd291bGQg DQpjb21wbGljYXRlIGxpZ2h0aW5nIGZvciBtZS4gIEkgYWxzbyBoYXZlIGEgUGVudGF4IG1h bnVhbCA1MG1tIHByaW1lIA0Kd2hpY2gsIGFnYWluLCBubyBhdXRvIGZvY3VzLg0KDQo+IA0K
    DQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill W@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Tue Mar 29 12:53:35 2022
    (in article <t1vdvo$6k9$1@dont-email.me>):

On 3/29/22 12:52, Bill W wrote:
    (in article <t1vcgn$pgq$1@dont-email.me>):

On 3/29/22 11:44, Bill W wrote:

up on a tripod while not even considering the S630 because I was almost
    certain that the KX photos would be superior (I mean, that's the whole
    point between RAW versus JPG files right?(S630 only offers JPG)). However....

I was wrong! The S630 has consistently produced better images. Just why, I'm not certain. Maybe you could tell me. I use the same lighting
    set ups for both. I don't even use the tripod with the 630 and get sharper photos. With the Pentax, I can't even seem to get it to focus properly if, for example, I am doing image focus stacking in order to show the depth of a coin from the side. I've even tried to set the focus points manually, I get the beep confirmation, and then I'll still
    a softer image.

The 630, on the other hand, produces sharper images. Technically, its resolution is only half that of the KX (6 MB max versus 12 MB for the KX), but, even so, I continue to be impressed. I can't figure out why the contrast is better and the autofocus doesn't struggle like the KX does. Only drawback is that I can't set the focus point manually (that
    I know of), so have to move over various coin sections to try to get a
    capture of the area needed. Much to my surprise, the resulting JPGs are
    often workable in Photoshop. I can even sharpen them quite a bit without introducing noise. I've gone through three S630's over the years. When one goes bad (usually the flash), I toss it and order another from eBay for about $10.

At this point, I'm about to put away the Pentax. Just seems not quite right that the puny 630 should be doing so much better.

Ace

I don’t think you’ve posted here before, so no one is going to know your
    level of knowledge. What AF mode are you using? What camera mode? What lens?
    Is it clean? Are you sure you are beyond the minimum focus distance of that
    lens? What aperture and ISO? Are you sure the camera is actually focusing
    exactly where you want it to? And JPG’s can easily look better than unprocessed raw files, until you process those raws. That Pentax is a bit
    old, but should still take very good photos.

Ok, so I'll concentrate on the Pentax since that is the camera in question. To answer your questions: I have tried both spot and multi AF modes, both auto and manual. I've even adjusted the manual for positioning on screen to focus on specific spots. AF is set to auto currently, but I have also tried manual to no avail. I am using the original kit lens. I do have telephoto lenses such as 135 and 200 mm,
    but that would complicate matters as they would place the coin-lens distance too far away for me to be able to adjust the lighting properly. I also have a 50mm Pentax prime lens I have not tried for this. I wouldn't think that I would receive a beep confirmation if in auto focus if it wasn't focused(?). I use various apertures. For coins, I've
    tried to stick around F13 or so, but I have tried down to F5.6 and attempted to do more focusing of certain sections since there's not as much focus available. ISO is always set to 200 or less. I also never quite get the same coloring or contrast of the Samsung, the latter of which always has better of each. Perhaps it's the original kit lens,

I would at least try the 50mm lens to eliminate that. What is the shutter speed, and are you using the tripod with the Pentax? And does the KX have a focus indicator that shows exactly where it is focusing? And are you processing the raw files before you compare? If not, try some jpg’s on the
    Pentax. Other than what I’ve already said, I have no other ideas.

I try to keep the shutter at least 1/500 to avoid shakes. On the tripod though, I can go less of course. Yes, I normally use a tripod with the
    KX. I will have to see if it shows exactly where focusing, but I
    usually zoom in to see where it is on live view. Yes, once the raws are processed, I see better quality with the Samsung. Perhaps I'll try the
    50mm prime and see how it goes. I'm not holding my breath though.

In the past, I've used the Pentax for photographing insects down to the
    macro level. I used tubes to move the lens away from the body if unable
    to get close enough with current lenses. However, much of the time yet
    again the Samsung was the winner with both better contrast, focus, and
    color. I did actually use the 50mm prime for much of the insect work.

Regarding the contrast and color, that still goes back to raw vs jpg. Raw photos can look washed out compared to jpg’s, depending on the cameras. You should be able to process the raws to look at least as good as the jpg’s.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 14:19:25 2022
    T24gMy8yOS8yMiAxMzo1MywgQmlsbCBXIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBPbiBNYXIgMjksIDIwMjIsIEFj ZSBDcnlzbGVyIHdyb3RlDQo+ICBZb3UNCj4gc2hvdWxkIGJlIGFibGUgdG8gcHJvY2VzcyB0 aGUgcmF3cyB0byBsb29rIGF0IGxlYXN0IGFzIGdvb2QgYXMgdGhlIGpwZ+KAmXMuDQo+IA0K DQpJIGNhbiwgYnV0IGl0J3MgYSBsb3QgbW9yZSB3b3JrIGZvciBkaW1pbmlzaGluZyByZXR1 cm5zLiAgRm9yIG5vdywgSSdtIA0KZ29pbmcgdG8gc3RpY2sgd2l0aCB0aGUgU2Ftc3VuZyBm b3IgbW9zdCBvZiB0aGUgY29pbnMgYWx0aG91Z2ggSSBhbSANCmNvbnNpZGVyaW5nIHNvbWV0 aGluZyB3aXRoIG1vcmUgZmVhdHVyZXMgc3VjaCBhcyBhIHVzZWQgQ2Fub24gRzkwIHdoaWNo IA0Kb2ZmZXJzIFJBV1MuDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Still Bud@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 14:30:29 2022
    On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:35:33 -0400, Ace Crysler <ace9000@hal.net>
    wrote:

question. To answer your questions: I have tried both spot and multi AF >modes, both auto and manual. I've even adjusted the manual for
    positioning on screen to focus on specific spots. AF is set to auto >currently, but I have also tried manual to no avail. I am using the

There are SO MANY things wrong with that synopsis that I can't even
    begin to debunk it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to Still Bud on Tue Mar 29 17:40:55 2022
    On 3/29/22 17:30, Still Bud wrote:
    On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:35:33 -0400, Ace Crysler <ace9000@hal.net>
    wrote:

question. To answer your questions: I have tried both spot and multi AF
    modes, both auto and manual. I've even adjusted the manual for
    positioning on screen to focus on specific spots. AF is set to auto
    currently, but I have also tried manual to no avail. I am using the

There are SO MANY things wrong with that synopsis that I can't even
    begin to debunk it.

Such as?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 30 08:40:11 2022
    Ok so, just for kicks, I decided to do almost everything "by the book"
    with the Pentax DSLR this time around and see what result I would
    achieve. I placed the camera on the tripod with the lens as parallel to
    the coin's surface as possible. I used a couple of small bubble levels
    to help. With a felt surface for the coin, even if the coin is
    suspended a bit to help blur the black felt, it was still next to
    impossible to achieve bullseye for both coin and camera since the felt
    is uneven, but I got as close as I could. Then I brought my Jansjo
    light as close to the lens as possible for the highest angle lighting I
    could achieve. I never have used these lights (I have a pair of them)
    because I never cared for their yellowish light, but went ahead anyway
    and adjusted camera color balance which seemed to negate the effect. I
    only used a single light getting it as close to the coin as possible
    with as little shadowing on the coin's opposite side. With the felt,
    you're not going to see shadow anyway, which is good (note that I have
    normally been using a backlit light panel with coins placed directly on
    top). Still using "kit" lens. I decided to try setting aperture
    priority first, but wasn't happy with that and went to manual. F/8 and
    shutter around 1/60 or so at 100 ISO. Everything in place, activate
    shutter with 10s delay. I used the bulb both without diffusion and then
    some shots with diffusion (milk carton plastic).

Results were promising. I can normally achieve similar lighting with
    the Samsung, but I use a large 50 W LED spot light of course well
    diffused and bright it up as close to the Samsung as possible around the
    10 PM position. So, the Jansio, being much smaller, could be brought
    even higher. It appears that more details could be seen in the
    highlights than with the larger light. I suppose this could be a
    workable system except the result still isn't as sharp as the Samsung
    and also the bottom of the coin was just slightly out of focus. Barely detectable, but there when viewed at full size. Hard to believe I'd
    still have that at F8. Maybe try to increase to F13 or so for next tests.

In Photoshop, the RAW was opened and most of the contrast appeared to be present with very little manipulation needed, which is different than
    the norm. The color was close so did not have to be changed much.
    Still had to apply some sharpening to get the sharpness to approach what
    the Samsung achieves.

I guess maybe I could work with this technique a little more. Anything
    to cut the processing a bit. I have a lot of coins and it takes too
    long to have to apply curves, sharpening, etc in Photoshop for every
    coin. I suppose I could use something like Lightroom, but I don't have
    it.

I still think the Pentax suffers. I am now beginning to suspect the kit
    lens as the cause. It offers poorer contrast and lack of sharpness
    compared to a better lens. No $ to afford a better one which was why I
    was thinking of a cheap Canon p&s with an already matched lens that
    offered RAW capability. Used of course.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Taylor@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Wed Mar 30 15:15:17 2022
    On 30/03/2022 13:40, Ace Crysler wrote:

Not that it helps, but I did find that with my Panasonic MFT, getting a macro lens was an great idea, and produces excellent results. It's a 60 mm,f/2.8 lens which gives a good working distance. Flat field, high quality etc.

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/lenses/om_d_pen_lenses/m_zuiko/m_zuiko_digital_ed_60mm_1_2_8/index.html

Maybe you already have something similar - if not perhaps there's something on the second hand market. The "kit" lens will be as low a cost item as possible most likely, and will not be optimised for very close working.

--
    Cheers,
    David
    Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill W@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Wed Mar 30 13:19:50 2022
    On Mar 30, 2022, Ace Crysler wrote
    (in article <t21j3c$40h$1@dont-email.me>):

Ok so, just for kicks, I decided to do almost everything "by the book"
    with the Pentax DSLR this time around and see what result I would
    achieve. I placed the camera on the tripod with the lens as parallel to
    the coin's surface as possible. I used a couple of small bubble levels
    to help. With a felt surface for the coin, even if the coin is
    suspended a bit to help blur the black felt, it was still next to
    impossible to achieve bullseye for both coin and camera since the felt
    is uneven, but I got as close as I could. Then I brought my Jansjo
    light as close to the lens as possible for the highest angle lighting I
    could achieve. I never have used these lights (I have a pair of them)
    because I never cared for their yellowish light, but went ahead anyway
    and adjusted camera color balance which seemed to negate the effect. I
    only used a single light getting it as close to the coin as possible
    with as little shadowing on the coin's opposite side. With the felt,
    you're not going to see shadow anyway, which is good (note that I have normally been using a backlit light panel with coins placed directly on
    top). Still using "kit" lens. I decided to try setting aperture
    priority first, but wasn't happy with that and went to manual. F/8 and shutter around 1/60 or so at 100 ISO. Everything in place, activate
    shutter with 10s delay. I used the bulb both without diffusion and then
    some shots with diffusion (milk carton plastic).

Results were promising. I can normally achieve similar lighting with
    the Samsung, but I use a large 50 W LED spot light of course well
    diffused and bright it up as close to the Samsung as possible around the
    10 PM position. So, the Jansio, being much smaller, could be brought
    even higher. It appears that more details could be seen in the
    highlights than with the larger light. I suppose this could be a
    workable system except the result still isn't as sharp as the Samsung
    and also the bottom of the coin was just slightly out of focus. Barely detectable, but there when viewed at full size. Hard to believe I'd
    still have that at F8. Maybe try to increase to F13 or so for next tests.

In Photoshop, the RAW was opened and most of the contrast appeared to be present with very little manipulation needed, which is different than
    the norm. The color was close so did not have to be changed much.
    Still had to apply some sharpening to get the sharpness to approach what
    the Samsung achieves.

I guess maybe I could work with this technique a little more. Anything
    to cut the processing a bit. I have a lot of coins and it takes too
    long to have to apply curves, sharpening, etc in Photoshop for every
    coin. I suppose I could use something like Lightroom, but I don't have
    it.

If you’ve gone through all that trouble, you might as well try that 50mm lens, too. And does that camera allow focus peaking in live view?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 30 14:40:37 2022
    T24gMy8zMC8yMiAxNDoxOSwgQmlsbCBXIHdyb3RlOg0KPiANCj4gDQo+IElmIHlvdeKAmXZl IGdvbmUgdGhyb3VnaCBhbGwgdGhhdCB0cm91YmxlLCB5b3UgbWlnaHQgYXMgd2VsbCB0cnkg dGhhdCA1MG1tDQo+IGxlbnMsIHRvby4gQW5kIGRvZXMgdGhhdCBjYW1lcmEgYWxsb3cgZm9j dXMgcGVha2luZyBpbiBsaXZlIHZpZXc/DQo+IA0KDQpCZWZvcmUgSSB0cnkgYW55dGhpbmcg bW9yZSwgSSBmb3VuZCBvbmUgb2YgbXkgb3RoZXIgSmFuc2pvIGxpZ2h0cyBhbmQgDQphdHRl bXB0ZWQgaGlnaCBhbmdsZSwgbmVhcmx5IGRpcmVjdCBsaWdodGluZyBvZiB0aGlzIGNvaW46 DQoNCiAgIGh0dHBzOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vQmNjWElQVS5qcGcNCg0KVGhpcyBvbmUgdXNl cyBtaWxrIGp1ZyBwaWVjZXMgYXMgZGlmZnVzZXIgaW4gZnJvbnQgb2YgdGhlIGxpZ2h0cy4g IEFuZCwgDQp0aGVuIHRoZXJlJ3MgdGhlIG90aGVyDQoNCiAgaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmltZ3VyLmNv bS9oRlVzWnFWLmpwZw0KDQpObyBkaWZmdXNpb24gYWdhaW4gd2l0aCB0aGUgdHdvIGxpZ2h0 cy4gIEkgdXNlZCB0aGUgU2Ftc3VuZyBmb3IgYm90aCANCmltYWdlcy4NCg0KSSBmb3VuZCBh IG5pY2UsIHVzZWQgQ2Fub24gUzkwIGFuZCBpdCdzIG9uIHRoZSB3YXkuICBJIHdpbGwgYXQg bGVhc3QgDQpoYXZlIHRoZSBiZW5lZml0IG9mIFJBVyBpbnN0ZWFkIG9mIGp1c3QganBnIGxp a2UgdGhlIFNhbXN1bmcgaGFzLg0KDQpUaGUgUGVudGF4IHdpbGwgYmUgcmV0YWluZWQgYW5k IHVzZWQgYXMgSSBhbHdheXMgaGF2ZSwgbWFpbmx5IGZvciANCmxhbmRzY2FwZSBwaG90b2dy YXBoeS4NCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 30 19:24:58 2022
    So this time I decided to try axial lighting using a piece of glass at
    45 degrees. Much greater contrast result than anything else tried:

https://i.imgur.com/DG6f1tg.jpg

Only issue with this technique are the hot spots. Even with diffused
    light, I still get them. I think once the other camera arrives, I could probably tame those areas in raw (the Samsung was used for this image).
    I may use this technique for now on though, reveals more details than
    any of the prior methods.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Fri Apr 1 10:56:19 2022
    On 31/03/2022 12:24 pm, Ace Crysler wrote:
    So this time I decided to try axial lighting using a piece of glass at
    45 degrees.  Much greater contrast result than anything else tried:

https://i.imgur.com/DG6f1tg.jpg

Only issue with this technique are the hot spots.  Even with diffused
    light, I still get them.  I think once the other camera arrives, I could probably tame those areas in raw (the Samsung was used for this image).
     I may use this technique for now on though, reveals more details than
    any of the prior methods.

Looks fine to me. Can't imagine why anybody would want something in some
    way 'better' for the purpose.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 1 10:12:16 2022
    T24gMy8zMS8yMiAxNzo1NiwgZ2VvZmYgd3JvdGU6DQo+IE9uIDMxLzAzLzIwMjIgMTI6MjQg cG0sIEFjZSBDcnlzbGVyIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gU28gdGhpcyB0aW1lIEkgZGVjaWRlZCB0byB0 cnkgYXhpYWwgbGlnaHRpbmcgdXNpbmcgYSBwaWVjZSBvZiBnbGFzcyBhdCANCj4+IDQ1IGRl Z3JlZXMuwqAgTXVjaCBncmVhdGVyIGNvbnRyYXN0IHJlc3VsdCB0aGFuIGFueXRoaW5nIGVs c2UgdHJpZWQ6DQo+Pg0KPj4gaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmltZ3VyLmNvbS9ERzZmMXRnLmpwZw0KPj4N Cj4+IE9ubHkgaXNzdWUgd2l0aCB0aGlzIHRlY2huaXF1ZSBhcmUgdGhlIGhvdCBzcG90cy7C oCBFdmVuIHdpdGggZGlmZnVzZWQgDQo+PiBsaWdodCwgSSBzdGlsbCBnZXQgdGhlbS7CoCBJ IHRoaW5rIG9uY2UgdGhlIG90aGVyIGNhbWVyYSBhcnJpdmVzLCBJIA0KPj4gY291bGQgcHJv YmFibHkgdGFtZSB0aG9zZSBhcmVhcyBpbiByYXcgKHRoZSBTYW1zdW5nIHdhcyB1c2VkIGZv ciB0aGlzIA0KPj4gaW1hZ2UpLiDCoMKgSSBtYXkgdXNlIHRoaXMgdGVjaG5pcXVlIGZvciBu b3cgb24gdGhvdWdoLCByZXZlYWxzIG1vcmUgDQo+PiBkZXRhaWxzIHRoYW4gYW55IG9mIHRo ZSBwcmlvciBtZXRob2RzLg0KPiANCj4gDQo+IExvb2tzIGZpbmUgdG8gbWUuIENhbid0IGlt YWdpbmUgd2h5IGFueWJvZHkgd291bGQgd2FudCBzb21ldGhpbmcgaW4gc29tZSANCj4gd2F5 ICdiZXR0ZXInIGZvciB0aGUgcHVycG9zZS4NCj4gDQo+IGdlb2ZmDQoNClRoYW5rcyBhbmQg SSBzZWUgeW91ciBwb2ludC4gIFdlbGwsIHRoZSBvbmx5IGJpdCBvZiBzdGVwIHVwIEknbSB0 YWtpbmcgDQppcyB0aGF0IEknbSBnb2luZyB0byB1c2UgYSByYXcgY2FwYWJsZSBwJnMgdGhh dCBJIHdhcyBhYmxlIHRvIGZpbmQgdXNlZC4gDQogIERpZG4ndCBjb3N0IG11Y2ggYW5kIEkn bGwgaGF2ZSB0aGUgY2FwYWJpbGl0eSB0byBiZXR0ZXIgbmVnYXRlIGFueSANCmNvaW4gaG90 IHNwb3RzLiAgSXQncyBraW5kIG9mIGRpZmZpY3VsdCB0byBkbyBzdWNoIHByb2Nlc3Npbmcg b24gdGhlIGpwZyANCndpdGhvdXQgaW50cm9kdWNpbmcgYSBsb3Qgb2Ygbm9pc2UuICBPdGhl ciB0aGFuIHRoYXQsIEknbSBkb25lIHdpdGggDQp0cnlpbmcgdG8gZmlndXJlIG91dCBhbGwg b2YgdGhlIGxpZ2h0aW5nIGNvbWJpbmF0aW9ucy4gIFNpbmNlIEkgcG9zdGVkIA0KaGVyZSBh bmQsIGFmdGVyIHJlc2VhcmNoaW5nIG9ubGluZSwgSSBoYXZlIGNvbWUgdG8gdGhlIGNvbmNs dXNpb24gdGhhdCANCnRoZXJlIGlzIG5vIHNldCBzdGFuZGFyZCBmb3IgY29pbiBsaWdodGlu ZyBhbmQgZXZlcnl0aGluZyBoYXMgdGhlaXIgb3duIA0KcHJlZmVyZW5jZS4NCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ace Crysler@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 1 12:37:03 2022
    Before the Canon S90 p&s arrives, I decided to give a "proper" go with
    the Pentax KX. This time, I switched out its kit lens for a Carl Zeiss
    Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 I have here. It's an older, manual lens that is supposed to be known for its sharpness. I added a couple of macro tubes
    so that the coin would nearly fill the frame and so I could get a lot
    closer distance. This is the result:

https://i.imgur.com/riTUnDI.jpg

Again, I used axial lighting. Very little post processing had to be
    done as contrast was pretty much spot on. There was still a bit of
    color imbalance, but easily adjusted. I almost don't know what to do
    when I don't have to touch the contrast in post processing. Looks like
    I won't have to wait for the S90 after all!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Ace Crysler on Sat Apr 2 12:05:19 2022
    On 2/04/2022 5:37 am, Ace Crysler wrote:
    Before the Canon S90 p&s arrives, I decided to give a "proper" go with
    the Pentax KX.  This time, I switched out its kit lens for a Carl Zeiss
    Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5  I have here.  It's an older, manual lens that is supposed to be known for its sharpness.  I added a couple of macro tubes
    so that the coin would nearly fill the frame and so I could get a lot
    closer distance.  This is the result:

https://i.imgur.com/riTUnDI.jpg

Again, I used axial lighting.  Very little post processing had to be
    done as contrast was pretty much spot on.  There was still a bit of
    color imbalance, but easily adjusted.  I almost don't know what to do
    when I don't have to touch the contrast in post processing.  Looks like
    I won't have to wait for the S90 after all!

Colour balance is very much a variable at your end (unless you have a calibrated monitor), and even more-so for the end-viewers, over which
    you have no control (unless physical prints that you have supplied
    yourself).

So don't get too obsessed over it !

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RichA@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 21 16:43:12 2022
    No P&S costs $10. It might have cost you that (just like I can buy an old Canon DSLR with 8mp for $40) because
    of the declining value of old tech. Having said that, I found an old Kodak 2mp P&S to have a perceptually better lens on its
    sensor than a modernish Olympus 14mp P&S, but a 2mp sensor puts much less stress on a lens than does a 14mp
    sensor leading to the perception the images out of the Kodak were better when it fact they had less resolution
    than the much higher mp count Olympus.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05