• Re: 24 Hour Jazz Radio?

From Louis Tornillo@21:1/5 to joe muszynski on Sun Mar 27 09:12:29 2022
    On Tuesday, October 28, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, joe muszynski wrote:
    I am listening to WBEZ in Chicago, public radio that has excellent
    jazz programming nightly - this was my first exposure to jazz and in
    the years since i've discovered the music, has been the best way to be introduced to artists, young and old. My question - how many 24 hour
    jazz stations are there? i guess Chicago supposedly has one (WNUA),
    but i wouldn't really consider that jazz - it's really a shame and i'm wondering if there are any around the USA - is it just not commercial
    enough? i guess i'm also wondering just what the audience size for
    this most wonderful music is - thanks Joe
    As many people know, KCSM San Mateo is a24 true jazz radio station here in the SF Bay Area for many, many years. It is almost completely listener-sponsored. The DJs have been on air for 10-20 years and know pretty much everything about jazz, its history,
    and even know many of the jazz musicians and composers. some are musicians themselves. KCSM is a national treasure. Louis Tornillo, Berkeley.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From nos ne trom@21:1/5 to Bri on Fri Dec 16 08:39:36 2022
    On Tuesday, October 28, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Bri wrote:
    joe muszynski <jo...@wwa.com> wrote in article <633kno$7n6$1...@hirame.wwa.com>...
    My question - how many 24 hour
    but i wouldn't really consider that jazz - it's really a shame and i'm wondering if there are any around the USA - is it just not commercial enough? i guess i'm also wondering just what the audience size for
    this most wonderful music is - thanks joe

In the Dallas/Fort Worth area (Texas) the two major proponents of jazz
    radio are 88.1 KNTU (where I was a DJ from June 96 to June 97) and 89.3
    KNON, neither of which are 24hr jazz. KNTU is run by the University of
    North Texas in Denton, and KNON is a community radio station, which helps explain why they can keep the torch lit when commercial jazz format radio ventures of the past have failed. You'd think that a large metropolitan
    area like D/FW with an international airport and everything could support a commercial jazz station, but apparently not. There are jazz clubs large and small in the area (large enough for major artists to come through) but
    still the listener base is apparently not large enough for commercial radio to be successful.
    If you're ever in the area, KNTU broadcasts from 6AM to 12AM 7 days a week (weekends have a lot of Latino & Classical), and KNON has a jazz show I believe every weeknight starting at midnight, which is kind of cool since
    you can just hop up the dial after KNTU signs off and you're good to go.
    All that doesn't really directly address your question, but I thought you might like to read a little about what's goin' on down here.
    BrianE.
    The count in DFW is down to 1 (IMHO, more like 0.25). KNTU elected to go with indie rock in the last couple of months. Idiots.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BongLeoHuang@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 25 03:36:07 2023
    joe muszynski 在 1997年10月28日 星期二下午4:00:00 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:
    I am listening to WBEZ in Chicago, public radio that has excellent
    jazz programming nightly - this was my first exposure to jazz and in
    the years since i've discovered the music, has been the best way to be introduced to artists, young and old. My question - how many 24 hour
    but i wouldn't really consider that jazz - it's really a shame and i'm wondering if there are any around the USA - is it just not commercial
    enough? i guess i'm also wondering just what the audience size for
    this most wonderful music is - thanks joe

We now use youtube for that. 24hrs non-stop jazz for you to pick.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05