• =?UTF-8?B?RmF1csOp4oCZcyBCYXJjYXJvbGxlcyA=?=

From Mandryka@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 24 05:47:44 2023
    I’ve been listening to two recordings Jean Hubeau and Massimiliano Damerini.

At the level of sound Hubeau is absolutely fine, and the interpretation feels unforced and wide awake. This is a gorgeous recording of the Barcarolles, without having the feeling of being as boldly imaginative as Damerini’s, which I listened to this
    morning. Hubeau feels slightly safe. Damerini’s feels like someone with something urgent and exciting to say about the music, Damerini was spoilt by the hard sound - but, now I’m listing to it again on a more forgiving system, Spendors with Conrad
    Johnson solid state and not Quad ESL 63s and Krell, the sound is less of a problem. Reviewers take note - you need more than one hifi (but you knew that!) It really isn’t enough to have just one very good revealing monitor system if you want to be sure
    of enjoying your recordings.

Damerini for me then!

Is this good music? I think so.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Frank Berger@21:1/5 to Mandryka on Fri Feb 24 09:15:36 2023
    On 2/24/2023 8:47 AM, Mandryka wrote:

At the level of sound Hubeau is absolutely fine, and the interpretation feels unforced and wide awake. This is a gorgeous recording of the Barcarolles, without having the feeling of being as boldly imaginative as Damerini’s, which I listened to this
    morning. Hubeau feels slightly safe. Damerini’s feels like someone with something urgent and exciting to say about the music, Damerini was spoilt by the hard sound - but, now I’m listing to it again on a more forgiving system, Spendors with Conrad
    Johnson solid state and not Quad ESL 63s and Krell, the sound is less of a problem. Reviewers take note - you need more than one hifi (but you knew that!) It really isn’t enough to have just one very good revealing monitor system if you want to be sure

Damerini for me then!

Imagine how good it would sound on an AM radio.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Mandryka on Fri Feb 24 07:57:33 2023
    On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 5:47:46 AM UTC-8, Mandryka wrote:

Damerini for me then!

https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/8fsCbjvVNMo/m/nWkITyGxCwAJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mandryka@21:1/5 to Frank Berger on Fri Feb 24 08:30:57 2023
    On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 2:15:49 PM UTC, Frank Berger wrote:
    On 2/24/2023 8:47 AM, Mandryka wrote:

At the level of sound Hubeau is absolutely fine, and the interpretation feels unforced and wide awake. This is a gorgeous recording of the Barcarolles, without having the feeling of being as boldly imaginative as Damerini’s, which I listened to
    this morning. Hubeau feels slightly safe. Damerini’s feels like someone with something urgent and exciting to say about the music, Damerini was spoilt by the hard sound - but, now I’m listing to it again on a more forgiving system, Spendors with
    Conrad Johnson solid state and not Quad ESL 63s and Krell, the sound is less of a problem. Reviewers take note - you need more than one hifi (but you knew that!) It really isn’t enough to have just one very good revealing monitor system if you want to
    be sure of enjoying your recordings.

Damerini for me then!

Imagine how good it would sound on an AM radio.

Possibly better than on the expensive and unforgiving monitors!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Koren@21:1/5 to Mandryka on Fri Feb 24 08:45:32 2023
    On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 5:47:46 AM UTC-8, Mandryka wrote:

Spendors with Conrad Johnson solid state and not
    Quad ESL 63s and Krell, the sound is less of a problem.

Quad ESLs and Krells are definitely not a good marriage.
    May I suggest Sound Labs and two pairs of new EARs --
    if one can afford them. Preferably bridged 519s.

dk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05