• "Many young musicians who work hard will never be able to make a living

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 8 11:18:23 2022
    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/12/07/naxos-founder-klaus-heymann-evolution-classical-music/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JohnGavin@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Fri Dec 9 05:08:51 2022
    On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 2:18:27 PM UTC-5, gggg gggg wrote:
    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/12/07/naxos-founder-klaus-heymann-evolution-classical-music/

Mr. Heymann is right of course, but this has been the case for quite a long time. I was surprised, for example to read fairly recently that Marc-Andre Hamelin took a teaching position at the New England Conservatory. Earl Wild taught most of his adult
    life, as did Bolet. Heifetz taught at UCLA and USC for many years. The list of well known performers who supplemented their income by teaching would surprise people. It may also be that earning a living solely by performing is highly stressful with
    all the traveling, hotels, practicing on the road etc. that it’s too much for some especially past a certain age.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 9 06:27:38 2022
    well, I think you have this exactly ass-backwards.
    Heymann wasn't talking about big label recorded artists with an agent who books A1 gigs,.
    Do you seriously think Heifetz taught because he couldn't pay the rent? Virtually all musicians teach; handing on the music is part of being a musician.
    Heymann was talking about superbly trained musicians who don't have any of this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JohnGavin@21:1/5 to Herman on Fri Dec 9 07:08:46 2022
    On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 9:27:41 AM UTC-5, Herman wrote:
    Heymann wasn't talking about big label recorded artists with an agent who books A1 gigs,.
    Do you seriously think Heifetz taught because he couldn't pay the rent? Virtually all musicians teach; handing on the music is part of being a musician.
    Heymann was talking about superbly trained musicians who don't have any of this.

I attended a series of 3 free recitals by Earl Wild at Harvard in the 1980s. For all 3 the hall, Sanders Theater was about 1/2 full. Same for Bolet performing Liszt PC 2 in Michigan. It may be not as ass-backwards as you think - maybe ass at a 90
    degree displacement (not a pretty picture). Also take into account that a crisis like Covid curtailed lots of concert activity.

Also you ignored the last part where I said that performers grow fatigued by decades of traveling and hurrying to catch the next flight. Heifetz fell into that category.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Herman on Fri Dec 9 09:15:06 2022
    On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 6:27:41 AM UTC-8, Herman wrote:
    Do you seriously think Heifetz taught because he couldn't pay the rent? Virtually all musicians teach; handing on the music is part of being a musician...

- Violin playing is a perishable art; it must be passed on as a personal skill—otherwise it is lost.

https://books.google.com/books?id=faMfpT7HkWEC&pg=PR13&dq=%22violin+playing+is+a+perishable+art%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiq3JSzpf_mAhUVP30KHTyuB6MQ6AEwAHoECAQQAg#v=onepage&q=%22violin%20playing%20is%20a%20perishable%20art%22&f=
    false

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05