• "We Followed the Beatles' Example" -- Steely Dan

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 17 05:22:05 2023
    Donald Fagen: And of course, the Beatles had not long before set the example of concentrating on records and not touring, and we were arrogant enough t follow their example.

Q: But shortly after that they split up, didn't they?

Fagen: Well, we split up shortly after, too. And now we're back together, just like they are. We never make a move without consulting the Beatles' chronology.

-- quoted from a Far Out Magazine article

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Fri Mar 17 05:30:28 2023
    On Friday, March 17, 2023 at 5:22:06 AM UTC-7, Norbert K wrote:
    Donald Fagen: And of course, the Beatles had not long before set the example of concentrating on records and not touring, and we were arrogant enough t follow their example.

Fagen: Well, we split up shortly after, too. And now we're back together, just like they are. We never make a move without consulting the Beatles' chronology.

I don't know why Fagen accepted the false assumption that the Beatles' split occurred "shortly after" their decision to concentrate on studio work, or why he claimed Steely Dan broke up soon after they made the same decision. Steely Dan concentrated on
    records for some 7 years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Mon Mar 20 10:33:57 2023
    On 18/03/2023 1:30 am, Norbert K wrote:

I don't know why Fagen accepted the false assumption that the Beatles' split occurred "shortly after" their decision to concentrate on studio work, or why he claimed Steely Dan broke up soon after they made the same decision. Steely Dan concentrated
    on records for some 7 years.

Or in what way The Beatles got back together. Well I guess George and
    John have ...

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Sun Mar 19 15:10:27 2023
    On Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 5:34:08 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
    On 18/03/2023 1:30 am, Norbert K wrote:

I don't know why Fagen accepted the false assumption that the Beatles' split occurred "shortly after" their decision to concentrate on studio work, or why he claimed Steely Dan broke up soon after they made the same decision. Steely Dan concentrated
    on records for some 7 years.
    Or in what way The Beatles got back together. Well I guess George and
    John have ...

geoff

Yeah, I couldn't figure out the date of that interview, but I assumed it had to have been undertaken when the Threetles thing was going on. Even if that's true, I'm amazed that Fagen accepted that as a Beatles reunion.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05