• Ringo

From Bruce@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 8 18:48:25 2022
    A Perfect Example Of Why Ringo Starr Is So Beloved By So Many On The Eve Of His 82nd Birthday :
    In the mid 1990s at the height of their popularity, the frontman/singer of the band R.E.M. Michael Stipe decided one day to take a personal shot at The Beatles.
    Here’s what Stipe said during an interview :
    “To me The Beatles have never been nothing more than elevator music. I never understood what was so great about them."
    Stipe‘s statement was ironic because guitar player and writer of much of their music Peter Buck has always been vocal about how important The Beatles' influence was on him.
    A few months later someone asked Ringo Starr about the comments Stipe made, at which Ringo responded :
    "R.E.M. is a pretty good band, but if it wasn't for The Beatles they would be taking the stairs, not an elevator."
    Haha, absolutely classic Ringo !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From RJKellog@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Bruce on Sun Jul 10 07:56:05 2022
    On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 9:48:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
    A Perfect Example Of Why Ringo Starr Is So Beloved By So Many On The Eve Of His 82nd Birthday :
    In the mid 1990s at the height of their popularity, the frontman/singer of the band R.E.M. Michael Stipe decided one day to take a personal shot at The Beatles.
    Here’s what Stipe said during an interview :
    “To me The Beatles have never been nothing more than elevator music. I never understood what was so great about them."
    Stipe‘s statement was ironic because guitar player and writer of much of their music Peter Buck has always been vocal about how important The Beatles' influence was on him.
    A few months later someone asked Ringo Starr about the comments Stipe made, at which Ringo responded :
    "R.E.M. is a pretty good band, but if it wasn't for The Beatles they would be taking the stairs, not an elevator."
    Haha, absolutely classic Ringo !

What a strange thing for Stipe, cowriter of ' The One I Love,' 'Losing My Religion,' ''Everybody Hurts,' etc. to say.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)