• John's Accusation of "Subconscious Sabotage"

From Norbert K@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 23 04:10:54 2022
    In the Playboy interview, John claims:

The Beatles didn't make a good record of "Across the Universe." I think subconsciously we -- I thought Paul subconsciously tried to destroy my great songs. We would play experimental games with my great pieces, like "Strawberry Fields," which I
    always felt was badly recorded. It worked, but it wasn't what it could have been. I allowed it, though. We would spend hours doing little, detailed cleaning up on Paul's songs, but when it came to mine -- especially a great song like "Strawberry
    Fields" or "Across the Universe" -- somehow an atmosphere of looseness and experimentation would come up.

Does anyone buy this? Or is it the drug-induced paranoia and Yoko-induced resentment of the Beatles (especially Paul) talking?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From geoff@21:1/5 to Norbert K on Thu Feb 24 09:49:19 2022
    On 24/02/2022 1:10 am, Norbert K wrote:

The Beatles didn't make a good record of "Across the Universe." I think subconsciously we -- I thought Paul subconsciously tried to destroy my great songs. We would play experimental games with my great pieces, like "Strawberry Fields," which I
    always felt was badly recorded. It worked, but it wasn't what it could have been. I allowed it, though. We would spend hours doing little, detailed cleaning up on Paul's songs, but when it came to mine -- especially a great song like "Strawberry
    Fields" or "Across the Universe" -- somehow an atmosphere of looseness and experimentation would come up.

Does anyone buy this? Or is it the drug-induced paranoia and Yoko-induced resentment of the Beatles (especially Paul) talking?

Yoko needling away and causing dissent.

geoff

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norbert K@21:1/5 to geoff on Thu Feb 24 04:33:33 2022
    On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 3:49:26 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
    On 24/02/2022 1:10 am, Norbert K wrote:

always felt was badly recorded. It worked, but it wasn't what it could have been. I allowed it, though. We would spend hours doing little, detailed cleaning up on Paul's songs, but when it came to mine -- especially a great song like "Strawberry Fields"
    or "Across the Universe" -- somehow an atmosphere of looseness and experimentation would come up.

Yoko needling away and causing dissent.

geoff

The case could be made. During his time away from Yoko in the mid-70s, John was proud of his Beatles work and open to working with McCartney again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05