• Re: "O Holy Night" copyrights?

From Todd Vanover (toddvanoversMusic)@21:1/5 to TD Gibby on Tue Nov 29 21:51:05 2022
    On Tuesday, December 15, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, TD Gibby wrote:
    In article <75435n$l7c$1...@remarQ.com>, "David Murray (SG Fan)" <dbmu...@bogus.spam.net> writes:
    That's the law for songs written since the Copyright Law amendments in the >1970s. The former law was 75 years from date of creation, and it still >applies to anything written when it was in force. In my opinion, it was a >law that made a lot more sense than our current law.
    That is close to correct. The 1909 Copyright Act gave an initial term of 28 years (although you had to publish it with notice, no notice no copyright). The
    copyright began at the time of notice, not the time of creation. Then you could
    renew it with notice for another 28 years, which was later lengthened to 47. The initial 28 plus 47 would make 75. Since Sept. of 1992, the renewal was automatic.
    The 1978 act gives the author copyright for life+50 years. Plus, copyright is automatic upon creation, and starts at the time of creation.
    A new law takes effect this coming Jan. 1, 1999. It extends the copyright to life+70 years.
    Tim
    "I'm a happy dork in the periwinkle with sunshine on my nose." Opus
    Actually to be determined copyright anything is from the time you write it out, you dont have to publish or record anything for it to be considered copyright as long as you have the proper documentation proving its your original work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)