• Operating System and Programming Languages ?

From Skybuck Flying@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 24 20:29:02 2022
    Which operating system(s) do you use to run PMars on ?

Which programming languages interest you ?

I hope to hear Pascal/Delphi, any of you use it or read it ?

I assume/think most of you programmers anyway and can probably read a bit of Pascal/Delphi ?

These questions interest me in case I want to open source Skybuck's Corewar Simulator.

It does contain some "hi-tech" no related corewars/redcode things which may swing my oppinion into not releasing it, then again wtf... it's not like it's making me millions lol, at least not yet lol... haha... but maybe somebody else can improve or
    finish it... otherwise I will have to finish it...

Would also be interesting to see if others can use it for something else... maybe port it or copy some code from it to make it easier to develop their own... redcode/corewars still interesting me somewhat ! ;)

I think it might be usefull to create some kind of bitcoin, but where coins are rewarded for defeating warriors, not sure if I wrote about this before... some kind of corewarcoin ! ;)

Bye for now,
    Skybuck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From inversed@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 26 03:08:19 2022

Pascal is my main language. I've been relying on Delphi compiler for a long time, but have now switched to FreePascal/Lazarus. I do have my own MARS written in Pascal, but it requires a major cleanup before release. I feel nothing but repulsion towards
    most modern languages (bloated, OOP-ridden, low performance). I've tried Julia recently, it was a very pleasant surprise though.

Regarding the OS - I want to switch to Linux, but can't decide on the distro.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Skybuck Flying@21:1/5 to inversed on Mon Jun 27 07:38:23 2022
    On Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 12:08:21 PM UTC+2, inversed wrote:
    Pascal is my main language.

Nice to hear !

I've been relying on Delphi compiler for a long time,

Delphi is gooood/nice/quick/fast.

but have now switched to FreePascal/Lazarus.

Why ?

I do have my own MARS written in Pascal,

What are it's capabilities ?

What would you estimate is the code quality ?

but it requires a major cleanup before release.

Hmm how so, what would need cleaning up ?

I feel nothing but repulsion towards most modern languages (bloated, OOP-ridden, low performance).

C++/Visual Studio 2019 made me barf recently too... C/C++ nice/powerfull language but it is just too slow when compiling, plus the VS IDE is not as good as Delphi, in some ways VS IDE was better, especially for GIT, and it has improved a lot in the last
    10 years, but there is still so much that it would need to do better.

I've tried Julia recently, it was a very pleasant surprise though.

Regarding the OS - I want to switch to Linux, but can't decide on the distro.

Why switch to Linux ?

Let's suppose I open source my corewars simulator, what would be the number one thing you would want to look at if anything ?

Bye for now,
    Skybuck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05