• simple shop made hydraulics?

From Don Foreman@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 22 23:36:56 2023
    Anyone here ever made simple shop-made hydraulics? I do have a pretty decent lathe (Enterprise 1550) and I'm a not-half-bad home shop machinist after decades of very slow learning whilst creating lots of scrap.

Once a year I need to lift the close-fitting 4' x 4' plywood lid on my well house to get at the valves within to de-winterize. I pay someone to winterize in the fall because the consequences of getting that wrong are too ghastly to contemplate. If I
    screw up the spring turn-on, the worst I can get is wet. That happens with regularity that others find far more amusing than I.

Now that I'm in my ninth decade, lifting that lid is getting to be almost more than I can handle and I obvously didn't sire enough sons or strong daughters. Hindsight is always 20-20. But wait ... given the cost of university tuition, it'd be
    cheaper to buy a helicopter than to have more progeny to educate, and probably more fun.

That wellhouse lid is probably only about 50 lb but it's awkwardly situated. I've thought about purely mechanical solutions but everything I came up with (levers, chains and sprockets, four-bar Chebychev linkages, gears, yada yada) was unduly
    complicated. I'm a sparky, not a gearhead.

If I had four little hydraulic cylinders that each could produce about 2" of lift with probably no more than 20 lbf (89 newtons for y'all thoroughly modern mechies) with some $2 bearings from Ax Man Surplus (already on my bench) I think that might
    work slicker'n molebdynum loon poop. That's the very slippery black stuff.

Question is, how to make the cylinders so they won't leak over time. Might automotive wheel cylinder parts (cups or seals or whatever they call the anti-leak moving parts) in shop-made cylinders work OK? O-rings? How about fluid: might water
    with antifreeze work as well as brake fluid without creating the mess if and when it leaks? We're talking MN, it gets cold here. Would the glycol antifreeze have enough lubricity?

No, I'm not gonna try to motivate a big strong Minnesota Swedish girl to help me out. S.O. Vicki knows where I keep the pistol at the cabin.

Anybody here ever done anything like this? McGyver hydraulics, that is?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Snag@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sat Sep 23 07:11:59 2023
    On 9/23/2023 6:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
    "Don Foreman"  wrote in message news:328fd1a3-c0cc-43a2-9a9c-1c4deb3779e7n@googlegroups.com...

Anyone here ever made simple shop-made hydraulics?  I do have a pretty decent lathe (Enterprise 1550)  and I'm a not-half-bad  home shop
    machinist after decades of very slow learning whilst creating lots of
    scrap.

Once a year I need to lift the close-fitting 4' x 4' plywood lid on my
    well house to get at the valves within to de-winterize.  I pay someone
    to winterize in the fall because the consequences of getting that wrong
    are too ghastly to contemplate.  If I screw up the spring turn-on, the
    worst I can get is wet.  That happens with regularity that others find
    far more amusing than I.

Now that I'm in my ninth decade, lifting  that lid is getting to be
    almost more than I can handle and  I obvously didn't sire enough sons or strong daughters.  Hindsight is always 20-20.   But wait ... given the cost of university tuition,  it'd be cheaper to buy a helicopter than to have more progeny to educate, and probably more fun.

That wellhouse lid is  probably only about 50 lb but it's awkwardly situated.    I've thought about purely mechanical solutions but
    everything I came up with (levers, chains and sprockets,  four-bar
    Chebychev linkages, gears, yada yada)  was unduly complicated.  I'm a sparky, not a gearhead.

If I had four little hydraulic cylinders that each could produce about
    2" of lift  with probably no more than 20 lbf  (89 newtons for y'all thoroughly modern mechies) with some $2 bearings from Ax Man Surplus
    (already on my bench)   I think that might  work slicker'n molebdynum
    loon poop.  That's the very slippery  black stuff.

Question is, how to make the cylinders so they won't leak over time.
    Might automotive wheel cylinder parts (cups or seals or whatever they
    call the anti-leak moving  parts)   in shop-made cylinders work OK? O-rings? How about fluid:  might water with antifreeze work as well as
    brake fluid without creating the mess if and when it leaks?  We're
    talking  MN, it gets cold here.  Would the glycol antifreeze  have
    enough lubricity?

No, I'm not gonna try to motivate a big strong Minnesota  Swedish girl
    to help me out.  S.O. Vicki knows where I keep the pistol at the cabin.

Anybody here  ever done anything like this?  McGyver hydraulics, that is?

----------------------------

I built a bucket loader for my garden tractor from mostly surplus
    hydraulic components and steel stock. The four lift cylinders are used
    4-ton Porta-Power types that magically appeared in a nearby discount
    store at $15 each for the smaller pair and $20 for the larger when I
    needed them. They did leak so I had to track down new seals that could
    be made to fit, with some modification and some remaining leakage.

For what you suggest a 4-ton kit should do the job, either with the
    included cylinder pushing or this add-on unit pulling: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-pull-back-ram-64042.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTY4NjYwMjkiLCJza3UiOiI2NDA0MiIsImlzIjoiNTguNDkifQ==&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20575502102&campaignid=20575502102&utm_content=154013307739&adsetid=
    154013307739&product=64042&store=

https://www.vevor.com/porta-power-kit-c_10320/6-ton-porta-power-hydraulic-jack-body-frame-repair-kit-auto-shop-tool-lift-ram-p
    [...rest deleted]
    The alligator on mine is rated 500# at the jaw tips.

This little guy has the advantage of taking up minimal headroom compared
    to other hoists: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-ton-lever-chain-hoist-67144.html

The HF 60732 truck bed crane both lifts and swings sideways: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-bed-crane-60732.html?
    [...rest deleted]
    The parts are pretty heavy to install and it needs a solid foundation.

Personally I would use a wooden A frame controlled by ropes and pulleys
    or a boat trailer winch that lifts the lid and swings it clear.  _\ | /_

I injured my back in high school sports and it's never fully healed, so
    I built a lot of portable lifting gear to help with logging firewood and moving boulders the builder left too close to the house, etc. It all
    breaks down into parts weighing 40 Lbs or less.
    jsw

Jim has some good ideas ... I was thinking something simpler . I use a
    home made pivoting jib crane to handle heavier chunks of firewood ,
    something similar with a boat winch might be just the ticket for your
    lid lift . I used 2" square tube and an ATV electric winch , you could
    probably use chain link fencing tube and a boat winch . Actually , a
    lever and pivot device might work well since you're only lifting a few
    inches . And you'll be loading the lever rather than lifting anything .
    --
    Snag
    Men don't protect women because they're weak .
    We protect them because they're important .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 07:58:56 2023
    "Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:uemi3q$p582$1@dont-email.me...

An afterthought: when building theatre scenery I learned to make retractable landing gear for heavy items from casters on hinges that flipped underneath
    to move the load or out sideways to land it. Typically both casters per side would be on a strip of wood and move together, and could be flipped in or
    out with one foot while lifting the load with both hands.

If you have the space available that option separates the operations of
    lifting the lid and uncovering the opening. If it has to tilt open a boat trailer winch and overhead pulley may be the cheapest and easiest to
    install. I have several lifts that operate with block and tackle but
    securing the rope onto the cleat can be difficult with winter gloves. Cotton braided rope, sash cord or clothesline are the easiest to handle, and thin fingered gloves under removable thick mitten ones help.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 07:27:21 2023
    "Don Foreman" wrote in message news:328fd1a3-c0cc-43a2-9a9c-1c4deb3779e7n@googlegroups.com...

Anyone here ever made simple shop-made hydraulics? I do have a pretty
    decent lathe (Enterprise 1550) and I'm a not-half-bad home shop machinist after decades of very slow learning whilst creating lots of scrap.

Once a year I need to lift the close-fitting 4' x 4' plywood lid on my well house to get at the valves within to de-winterize. I pay someone to
    winterize in the fall because the consequences of getting that wrong are
    too ghastly to contemplate. If I screw up the spring turn-on, the worst I
    can get is wet. That happens with regularity that others find far more
    amusing than I.

Now that I'm in my ninth decade, lifting that lid is getting to be almost
    more than I can handle and I obvously didn't sire enough sons or strong daughters. Hindsight is always 20-20. But wait ... given the cost of university tuition, it'd be cheaper to buy a helicopter than to have more progeny to educate, and probably more fun.

That wellhouse lid is probably only about 50 lb but it's awkwardly
    situated. I've thought about purely mechanical solutions but everything I came up with (levers, chains and sprockets, four-bar Chebychev linkages, gears, yada yada) was unduly complicated. I'm a sparky, not a gearhead.

If I had four little hydraulic cylinders that each could produce about 2" of lift with probably no more than 20 lbf (89 newtons for y'all thoroughly modern mechies) with some $2 bearings from Ax Man Surplus (already on my
    bench) I think that might work slicker'n molebdynum loon poop. That's
    the very slippery black stuff.

Question is, how to make the cylinders so they won't leak over time.
    Might automotive wheel cylinder parts (cups or seals or whatever they call
    the anti-leak moving parts) in shop-made cylinders work OK? O-rings?
    How about fluid: might water with antifreeze work as well as brake fluid without creating the mess if and when it leaks? We're talking MN, it gets cold here. Would the glycol antifreeze have enough lubricity?

No, I'm not gonna try to motivate a big strong Minnesota Swedish girl to
    help me out. S.O. Vicki knows where I keep the pistol at the cabin.

----------------------------

I built a bucket loader for my garden tractor from mostly surplus hydraulic components and steel stock. The four lift cylinders are used 4-ton
    Porta-Power types that magically appeared in a nearby discount store at $15 each for the smaller pair and $20 for the larger when I needed them. They
    did leak so I had to track down new seals that could be made to fit, with
    some modification and some remaining leakage.

For what you suggest a 4-ton kit should do the job, either with the included cylinder pushing or this add-on unit pulling: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-pull-back-ram-64042.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTY4NjYwMjkiLCJza3UiOiI2NDA0MiIsImlzIjoiNTguNDkifQ==&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20575502102&campaignid=20575502102&utm_content=154013307739&adsetid=
    154013307739&product=64042&store=

https://www.vevor.com/porta-power-kit-c_10320/6-ton-porta-power-hydraulic-jack-body-frame-repair-kit-auto-shop-tool-lift-ram-p
    [...rest deleted]
    The alligator on mine is rated 500# at the jaw tips.

This little guy has the advantage of taking up minimal headroom compared to other hoists: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-ton-lever-chain-hoist-67144.html

The HF 60732 truck bed crane both lifts and swings sideways: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-bed-crane-60732.html?
    [...rest deleted]
    The parts are pretty heavy to install and it needs a solid foundation.

Personally I would use a wooden A frame controlled by ropes and pulleys or a boat trailer winch that lifts the lid and swings it clear. _\ | /_

I injured my back in high school sports and it's never fully healed, so I
    built a lot of portable lifting gear to help with logging firewood and
    moving boulders the builder left too close to the house, etc. It all breaks down into parts weighing 40 Lbs or less.
    jsw

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 08:53:40 2023
    "Snag" wrote in message news:uemkmc$pisu$1@dont-email.me...

I was thinking something simpler . I use a
    home made pivoting jib crane to handle heavier chunks of firewood ,
    something similar with a boat winch might be just the ticket for your
    lid lift . I used 2" square tube and an ATV electric winch , you could
    probably use chain link fencing tube and a boat winch . Actually , a
    lever and pivot device might work well since you're only lifting a few
    inches . And you'll be loading the lever rather than lifting anything .
    Snag

--------------------

Chain link fence post is quite versatile for structures. It's the same OD as water pipe although the nominal sizes are different, fence post size is
    closer to actual OD. If the well house frame permits an upper support the
    jib crane could be an upright post that rests on a foot-operated lever to
    lift the jib crane and well cover a few inches to swing it clear. A standard tee joint clamp could connect the boom to the mast if their outer and top
    ends are chained together to transfer the load to the upper support.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon Fisk@21:1/5 to Don Foreman on Sat Sep 23 08:17:27 2023
    On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
    Don Foreman <donf42@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
    If I had four little hydraulic cylinders that each could produce about 2" of lift with
    probably no more than 20 lbf (89 newtons for y'all thoroughly modern >mechies) with some $2 bearings from Ax Man Surplus (already on my bench)

You can get Electric Actuators nowadays pretty cheap. Especially if
    they are odd-ball length/sizes. Some are pretty beefy in what they can
    lift. Check out the Ebay search for ideas

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=actuator+

--
    Leon Fisk
    Grand Rapids MI

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 09:21:51 2023
    "Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:ueml0o$phda$1@dont-email.me...

You can get Electric Actuators nowadays pretty cheap. Especially if
    they are odd-ball length/sizes. Some are pretty beefy in what they can
    lift. Check out the Ebay search for ideas

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=actuator+
    Leon Fisk

---------------------

Thanks. They have come way down since I last looked. I've wanted to play
    with robotics for a long time but don't have a practical use, since
    everything I want to lift tends to weigh 500 Lbs or more. I did a little
    with Segway robotics, though only the bases for customers to add to. They
    make quite capable, relatively fast and extremely maneuverable all-terrain vehicles. One version had four wheels but could rise up and balance on two
    to turn in place or perform acrobatics, a favorite of the engineering staff.
    It had been an engineer's "frog day" project. http://www.segway.cz/products/centaur/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Engelhardt@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 10:27:56 2023
    How 'bout pneumatic cylinders? Even a 1" one with 40psi air would lift
    30lb±. There wouldn't be any worries about leaking. Some leaking
    really won't be a problem - the compressor would make it up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon Fisk@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sat Sep 23 11:24:32 2023
    On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:21:51 -0400
    "Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
    Thanks. They have come way down since I last looked. I've wanted to play >with robotics for a long time but don't have a practical use, since >everything I want to lift tends to weigh 500 Lbs or more. I did a little >with Segway robotics, though only the bases for customers to add to. They >make quite capable, relatively fast and extremely maneuverable all-terrain >vehicles. One version had four wheels but could rise up and balance on two >to turn in place or perform acrobatics, a favorite of the engineering staff. >It had been an engineer's "frog day" project. >http://www.segway.cz/products/centaur/index.html

That's really cool and could see many uses for it👍

Johnny Buckets use an actuator for their Lawn Mower addons:

https://www.johnnyproducts.com/JP_Parts_HTMs/Linear-Actuator-Plus-hardware.htm

Noticed it years ago when I first heard of Johnny Buckets and was
    looking them over.

I've spotted actuators being used on farm machinery too. For turning
    chutes and other misc things...

--
    Leon Fisk
    Grand Rapids MI

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob La Londe@21:1/5 to Don Foreman on Sat Sep 23 10:01:40 2023
    On 9/22/2023 11:36 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
    Anyone here ever made simple shop-made hydraulics? I do have a pretty decent lathe (Enterprise 1550) and I'm a not-half-bad home shop machinist after decades of very slow learning whilst creating lots of scrap.

Once a year I need to lift the close-fitting 4' x 4' plywood lid on my well house to get at the valves within to de-winterize. I pay someone to winterize in the fall because the consequences of getting that wrong are too ghastly to contemplate. If I
    screw up the spring turn-on, the worst I can get is wet. That happens with regularity that others find far more amusing than I.

Now that I'm in my ninth decade, lifting that lid is getting to be almost more than I can handle and I obvously didn't sire enough sons or strong daughters. Hindsight is always 20-20. But wait ... given the cost of university tuition, it'd be
    cheaper to buy a helicopter than to have more progeny to educate, and probably more fun.

That wellhouse lid is probably only about 50 lb but it's awkwardly situated. I've thought about purely mechanical solutions but everything I came up with (levers, chains and sprockets, four-bar Chebychev linkages, gears, yada yada) was unduly
    complicated. I'm a sparky, not a gearhead.

If I had four little hydraulic cylinders that each could produce about 2" of lift with probably no more than 20 lbf (89 newtons for y'all thoroughly modern mechies) with some $2 bearings from Ax Man Surplus (already on my bench) I think that
    might work slicker'n molebdynum loon poop. That's the very slippery black stuff.

Question is, how to make the cylinders so they won't leak over time. Might automotive wheel cylinder parts (cups or seals or whatever they call the anti-leak moving parts) in shop-made cylinders work OK? O-rings? How about fluid: might water
    with antifreeze work as well as brake fluid without creating the mess if and when it leaks? We're talking MN, it gets cold here. Would the glycol antifreeze have enough lubricity?

No, I'm not gonna try to motivate a big strong Minnesota Swedish girl to help me out. S.O. Vicki knows where I keep the pistol at the cabin.

If you want to see some impressive "shop made" hydraulics check out a
    YouTube channel called "Make it Extreme." They are more infotainment
    than informational, but may give you some inspiration. That being
    said... "how simple?"

Seriously. A tube/piston that won't cut an o-ring and a plane old basic
    round profile o-ring can work short term as a simple hydraulic cylinder.
    Backer rings and it gets a little better. Use actual hydraulic seals
    and you are limited by the strength of your tube and end caps. Dual
    acting hydraulics are in my opinion the simplest in terms of use, but
    single acting with weight or spring for counter force "may" be easier to fabricate. The control for a single acting cylinder is simpler to
    setup. Pressure source, and relief valve.

If its for a relatively low force maybe consider a pneumatic. Most
    shops already have an air compressor, but fewer have an independent
    hydraulic power pack laying around. The danger of failure with
    pneumatic is much higher if high pressure. More akin to an explosion.
    They make quite lethal pneumatic air rifles with "air" for a reason. I
    doubt you have high pressure air in your shop, but a large volume
    failure with the low pressure of a common shop or industrial compressor
    can be dangerous. (I do have high pressure in my shop, but only for
    charging air guns (3000-4500PSI).)

--
    Bob La Londe
    CNC Molds N Stuff

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sat Sep 23 13:03:31 2023
    "Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:uemvvg$phda$2@dont-email.me...

http://www.segway.cz/products/centaur/index.html

---------------------

I joined a motorcycle offroad club that hosted competitions like ice races
    and moto trials, which emphasize finesse and balance over speed. In the "boulder kissing" event you stop the bike, raise the front wheel, turn
    sideways and tap it on a boulder, straighten out and ride on, all without putting a foot down. It was what the Centaur could do, on a motorcycle. I couldn't even stay balanced for more than a second or two at a stop and
    barely could make a full-lock turn by balancing with the throttle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sat Sep 23 12:29:32 2023
    "Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:uemvvg$phda$2@dont-email.me...

http://www.segway.cz/products/centaur/index.html

Johnny Buckets use an actuator for their Lawn Mower addons:

https://www.johnnyproducts.com/JP_Parts_HTMs/Linear-Actuator-Plus-hardware.htm

Noticed it years ago when I first heard of Johnny Buckets and was
    looking them over.

I've spotted actuators being used on farm machinery too. For turning
    chutes and other misc things...

Leon Fisk

-----------------------------------

I considered a remote actuator to raise and lower my TV antenna to help find sweet spots in the diffraction pattern over the ridge, then I discovered
    that chain link top rail can substitute for Radio Shack antenna mast at
    about a quarter the price, so I raised the antenna into stronger signal and added guy lines that ruled out the variable height idea. I still use a
    spectrum analyzer to aim the rotor for minimal ghost reflections, which
    cause interference notches in the otherwise nearly flat channel spectrum.

In the analog TV days with a lower antenna that channel showed a
    faint -leading- ghost, which I think was the direct path signal arriving
    ahead of the stronger reflection from the water tower.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon Fisk@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sat Sep 23 13:51:35 2023
    On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:03:31 -0400

<snip>
    I joined a motorcycle offroad club that hosted competitions like ice races >and moto trials, which emphasize finesse and balance over speed. In the >"boulder kissing" event you stop the bike, raise the front wheel, turn >sideways and tap it on a boulder, straighten out and ride on, all without >putting a foot down. It was what the Centaur could do, on a motorcycle. I >couldn't even stay balanced for more than a second or two at a stop and >barely could make a full-lock turn by balancing with the throttle.

I remember watching little snippets for that type of riding long ago.
    Bikes were geared way down as I recall. Ride over stuff like old VW
    Beetles, retaining walls, dumpsters... without any starting or exit
    ramps. Way past my motorcycle handling abilities.

Motorcycle Trials... had to look it up to be sure I recalled it
    correctly😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_trials

--
    Leon Fisk
    Grand Rapids MI

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leon Fisk@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sat Sep 23 13:54:17 2023
    On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:29:32 -0400

<snip>
    In the analog TV days with a lower antenna that channel showed a
    faint -leading- ghost, which I think was the direct path signal arriving >ahead of the stronger reflection from the water tower.

Yeah... sometimes you could bet a better picture, signal pointing in
    the "wrong" direction but at some object that was reflecting well🙂

--
    Leon Fisk
    Grand Rapids MI

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 16:40:57 2023
    "Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:uen8j8$susu$1@dont-email.me...

Way past my motorcycle handling abilities.

----------------------

My neighbor told me about commercial carpentry jobs when he was young, where many of the crew could walk along the 2x4 at the top of a wall several
    stories up; there was no scaffolding and few ladders. I can't walk reliably
    on a 2x4 flat on pavement or get very far balancing on railroad rails,
    despite much practice to improve my balance. An Army buddy walked around the narrow and crumbling top of the ruins of an old German castle I'd taken him
    to visit, about 3 stories up, while I stayed safe and secure on the old air raid observers platform in one corner and wondered how to explain getting
    him killed.

I kept climbing rope in the car so we could practice midnight castle
    storming raids on those isolated ruins. By law German commerce shut down at
    6PM and during the week no one was out afterwards, except around the urban
    bars that stayed open until 3AM. Then we'd adjourn to the flat of a friendly barmaid to sober up a little before driving back to the base. The Army had
    told us we didn't really need much sleep and my time in Heidelberg proved
    it, even more than college.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Smith@21:1/5 to Don Foreman on Sun Sep 24 06:15:40 2023
    Don Foreman <donf42@gmail.com> writes:

Anyone here ever made simple shop-made hydraulics? ...

Once a year I need to lift the close-fitting 4' x 4' plywood lid on my well house to get at the valves within to de-winterize. ...

Hi the Don and all you very experienced contributors.

Opinion of hydraulics shop - what "kills" hydraulics is non-use.

Sounds like once a year application? Not a lot of use.

Mine was "opposite" discussion - could I use over-the-counter
    hydraulic cylinder for fatigue-testing, where you'd be driving it
    through 10's to 100's of millions of cycles. They said likely no problem.

You have this rig and you are using it once a year...

Other thing is consequence if it does not work - weather window to do
    this, winter fast approaching and suddenly you turn it on and it
    doesn't work. Then you don't have time on your side to sort it out.

Others are already mention solutions which more come to me too.
    Beam on a couple of stands; a lever (crowbar?) and rope - or maybe go
    for a strop as used in lifting operations = stiff and load comes on
    with minimal stretch?
    Or a winch of some kind.

The thing is these solutions have wide-ranging application, you can
    substitute if any "curve-balls" come at you, things like a crowbar
    will be as good when you pick it up as when you put it down whenever
    that was, etc.
    You'd likely find lots of other applications.

My feeling is that other contributors like Jim and Snag have already
    pointed the way...

Rich S

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to Don Foreman on Sun Sep 24 07:11:21 2023
    "Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lyv8c0nocj.fsf@void.com...

Don Foreman <donf42@gmail.com> writes:

Once a year I need to lift the close-fitting 4' x 4' plywood lid on my
    well house to get at the valves within to de-winterize. ...

with minimal stretch?
    Or a winch of some kind.

The thing is these solutions have wide-ranging application, you can
    substitute if any "curve-balls" come at you, things like a crowbar
    that was, etc.

pointed the way...

Rich S

---------------------------

The missing element is a description of the conditions: is this a covered
    well in a separate doghouse with limited space above or beside for the open
    lid and places to attach mechanisms, or is the lid the weathertight roof of
    an exposed well with space around but no helpful structure above, or
    something else, for instance my Alabama grandfather's well was a tube that
    came up through the floor of the veranda and the water shuttle hung from the roof. I tried to address multiple possibilities.
    jsw

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 11:17:55 2023
    "Don Foreman" wrote in message news:328fd1a3-c0cc-43a2-9a9c-1c4deb3779e7n@googlegroups.com...

situated. I've thought about purely mechanical solutions but everything I came up with (levers, chains and sprockets, four-bar Chebychev linkages, gears, yada yada) was unduly complicated. I'm a sparky, not a gearhead.

-------------------------

How about a lighter lid? I made several roof access hatches from corrugated Suntuf polycarbonate panels framed with 1-1/2" square PT near the outer
    edges and thinner PT purlins spaced 16" supporting the roofing. Steel angle brackets join the corners without complex carpentry. They have survived many years of falling acorns and NH winter snow loads and holes can be
    temporarily repaired with tape. Window screening over the bottom, resting on and overhanging the well rim, would keep bugs and wasps out while allowing ventilation, or the space could be insulated with styrofoam. Hooks and eyes keep them from blowing off. The ones most susceptible to falling branches
    have double layers of panel. A 2' x 4' hatch with a grab bar across the
    center is easy for me to lift open and set aside with one hand from below. https://tinyurl.com/6a95cx4w

Before the polycarbonate panels came out I used PVC ones, and the colored panels held up longer in sunlight than the clear ones. Corrugated steel
    roofing isn't very heavy either.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From animal1@psln.com@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sun Sep 24 17:07:33 2023
    A bit more info of the hatch & its surroundings could answer a lot of questions . I agree with the hydraulics sitting & not working down the road .A couple of actuators with quick connect ball fittings that ya can take off after use & keep in a warm
    place could be a solution . Sang's idea sounds like one that could be made to work .. Can the lid have hinges on it so a guy/gal could slip a 3-4 ' bar into that could be used to open the hinged door ? More info could probably get ya a home run .
    animal

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 8:18:32 AM UTC-7, Jim Wilkins wrote:
    "Don Foreman" wrote in message news:328fd1a3-c0cc-43a2...@googlegroups.com...
    situated. I've thought about purely mechanical solutions but everything I came up with (levers, chains and sprockets, four-bar Chebychev linkages, gears, yada yada) was unduly complicated. I'm a sparky, not a gearhead. -------------------------

How about a lighter lid? I made several roof access hatches from corrugated Suntuf polycarbonate panels framed with 1-1/2" square PT near the outer edges and thinner PT purlins spaced 16" supporting the roofing. Steel angle brackets join the corners without complex carpentry. They have survived many years of falling acorns and NH winter snow loads and holes can be temporarily repaired with tape. Window screening over the bottom, resting on and overhanging the well rim, would keep bugs and wasps out while allowing ventilation, or the space could be insulated with styrofoam. Hooks and eyes keep them from blowing off. The ones most susceptible to falling branches have double layers of panel. A 2' x 4' hatch with a grab bar across the center is easy for me to lift open and set aside with one hand from below. https://tinyurl.com/6a95cx4w

Before the polycarbonate panels came out I used PVC ones, and the colored panels held up longer in sunlight than the clear ones. Corrugated steel roofing isn't very heavy either.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Foreman@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sun Sep 24 20:02:57 2023
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 6:11:59 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
    "Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lyv8c0n...@void.com...
    Don Foreman <don...@gmail.com> writes:

Once a year I need to lift the close-fitting 4' x 4' plywood lid on my well house to get at the valves within to de-winterize. ...

with minimal stretch?
    Or a winch of some kind.

The thing is these solutions have wide-ranging application, you can substitute if any "curve-balls" come at you, things like a crowbar
    that was, etc.

pointed the way...

Rich S
    ---------------------------

The missing element is a description of the conditions: is this a covered well in a separate doghouse with limited space above or beside for the open lid and places to attach mechanisms, or is the lid the weathertight roof of an exposed well with space around but no helpful structure above, or something else, for instance my Alabama grandfather's well was a tube that came up through the floor of the veranda and the water shuttle hung from the roof. I tried to address multiple possibilities.
    jsw

It's a covered well in a separate doghouse that is ridiculously large for its purpose. It's like a 4 foot cube. The lid in question is the flat roof of the doghouse. No helpful structure above or near, and I don't want to add any signficant
    external structure because it's ugly enough as is. I'd like nearly all of the solution to be inside and out of sight, with maybe just an actuating lever on the outside. The idea is to raise the roof just about 2" so a surrounding lip clears the
    structure below, and it can then roll it back just enough to get at three valves inside. I've already made tools to reach and operate the valves from outside. The tools stay inside the wellhouse.
    Because it will be a passive system with rollers that push the lid up from inside, if the rollers and/or lifting mechanism fail to work then I just do it the hard way as I have for years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Foreman@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Sun Sep 24 20:08:14 2023
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 10:18:32 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
    "Don Foreman" wrote in message news:328fd1a3-c0cc-43a2...@googlegroups.com...
    situated. I've thought about purely mechanical solutions but everything I came up with (levers, chains and sprockets, four-bar Chebychev linkages, gears, yada yada) was unduly complicated. I'm a sparky, not a gearhead. -------------------------

How about a lighter lid?
    (snip)
    That's far too sensible, Jim! I want to see if I can devise a way to lift and roll back the existing lid. I'd rather make mechanisms in my shop than build stuff at the lake because shop season is all winter but when I'm at the lake I'd rather go
    fishing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don Foreman@21:1/5 to ani...@psln.com on Sun Sep 24 20:52:10 2023
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 7:07:36 PM UTC-5, ani...@psln.com wrote:
    A bit more info of the hatch & its surroundings could answer a lot of questions . I agree with the hydraulics sitting & not working down the road .A couple of actuators with quick connect ball fittings that ya can take off after use & keep in a warm
    place could be a solution . Sang's idea sounds like one that could be made to work .. Can the lid have hinges on it so a guy/gal could slip a 3-4 ' bar into that could be used to open the hinged door ? More info could probably get ya a home run .
    animal

I don't think hinges would work, but I hadn't thought about something as simple as a long lifting lever that hooks the front of the lid and lifts it just enough (a couple of inches) so it can roll back a foot or two. Thanks for that idea! The
    implement could be kept in the shed when not in use. I need to think about this approach. Actually, just a better handle on the front of the lid might help a lot. That'd be an easy welding project.

Damn, I sorta liked the idea of simple hydraulics, but I didn't know that infrequent use increases likelihood of failure. Do automotive brake systems typically fail if the car is rarely driven, like the 1955 Ferrari kept under a tarp in the barn? (
    Jay Leno's barn, not mine!)

What about the bottle jack in the truck that gets used about once per decade? The jack, not the truck.

Pneumatics (air cylinders) could easily handle the light load but there's no shop air at my lake cabin. Ah, but there is water pressure from the well pump! Perhaps I could devise an air over water device that could be drained after each use (so no
    need to winterize) and use the well pump as prime mover. I think the system pressure is about 40 PSIG, so an actuator producing 15 lbf of force (66.7 Newtons for y'all thoroughly modern mechhies) ( one of four such) would need a piston or bellows
    area of 0.375 in^2 which would be a diameter of 0.691 in, just a bit under 3/4". So go with 1" dia and let the SOB leak air, or water for that matter, there's plenty of both. Now we're getting to hydraulics where greased pump leathers from old
    bicycle pumps would suffice.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From animal1@psln.com@21:1/5 to Don Foreman on Sun Sep 24 21:24:08 2023
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 8:52:12 PM UTC-7, Don Foreman wrote:
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 7:07:36 PM UTC-5, ani...@psln.com wrote:
    animal

I don't think hinges would work, but I hadn't thought about something as simple as a long lifting lever that hooks the front of the lid and lifts it just enough (a couple of inches) so it can roll back a foot or two. Thanks for that idea! The implement
    could be kept in the shed when not in use. I need to think about this approach. Actually, just a better handle on the front of the lid might help a lot. That'd be an easy welding project.

Damn, I sorta liked the idea of simple hydraulics, but I didn't know that infrequent use increases likelihood of failure. Do automotive brake systems typically fail if the car is rarely driven, like the 1955 Ferrari kept under a tarp in the barn? (Jay
    Leno's barn, not mine!)

What about the bottle jack in the truck that gets used about once per decade? The jack, not the truck.

Pneumatics (air cylinders) could easily handle the light load but there's no shop air at my lake cabin. Ah, but there is water pressure from the well pump! Perhaps I could devise an air over water device that could be drained after each use (so no need
    to winterize) and use the well pump as prime mover. I think the system pressure is about 40 PSIG, so an actuator producing 15 lbf of force (66.7 Newtons for y'all thoroughly modern mechhies) ( one of four such) would need a piston or bellows area of 0.
    375 in^2 which would be a diameter of 0.691 in, just a bit under 3/4". So go with 1" dia and let the SOB leak air, or water for that matter, there's plenty of both. Now we're getting to hydraulics where greased pump leathers from old bicycle pumps would
    suffice.

I've seen lots of folks with those " dog houses " over their wells. On the smaller ones like the one you have they hinged the roof so they could tip it up & then use a rod that pivots on both sides to lock the roof from falling when open .
    animal

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 25 10:03:10 2023
    "Don Foreman" wrote in message news:46f6c05e-9759-4a1c-8c9d-7cb88d3193a6n@googlegroups.com...

It's a covered well in a separate doghouse that is ridiculously large for
    its purpose. It's like a 4 foot cube. The lid in question is the flat
    roof of the doghouse. No helpful structure above or near, and I don't want
    to add any signficant external structure because it's ugly enough as is.
    I'd like nearly all of the solution to be inside and out of sight, with
    maybe just an actuating lever on the outside. The idea is to raise the roof just about 2" so a surrounding lip clears the structure below, and it can
    then roll it back just enough to get at three valves inside. I've already
    made tools to reach and operate the valves from outside. The tools stay
    inside the wellhouse.
    Because it will be a passive system with rollers that push the lid up from inside, if the rollers and/or lifting mechanism fail to work then I just do
    it the hard way as I have for years.

--------------------

Thanks. The problem with hydraulics is that they need a control and perhaps
    an energy source accessible from outside where they invite tampering. Even a recessed Schraeder valve to pressurize roller-raising air cylinders with a bicycle pump or CO2 tire inflater could become uncapped and filled with dirt
    by wind or wasps. Can you accept an external opening device that could break
    or be lost or forgotten?
    https://tinyurl.com/7ekz5k9y
    https://tinyurl.com/4b2p7aut
    Max 145PSI
    https://tinyurl.com/2tk5n4ns
    Tire valve extensions with flush-closing ends might help.

The square PT meant for deck railing baluster could be your rot-proof
    external lever. Mounted vertically it would look like innocent decorative
    trim. A center one could toggle or cam up the roller levers, or pull a rope that does. Maybe hide magnets that keep it in place.

If you could disguise the lifting levers as sliding or swing out sections of the overhanging rim they could lift a side enough for a hinged caster to
    drop into a track and keep that side up, avoiding finger risk. Privacy
    screen hinges that fold both ways would allow the caster to hang vertical.
    The caster should be latchable in place, as with a turnbutton. Lift the
    other side the same way and then roll the lid back, perhaps until it stands vertically if there is one centered caster on opposite sides and a track end stop. You never have to lift more than half the lid's weight.

You'd need a way to keep the caster temporarily folded back to lower the lid with both hands on the levers, such as a pull cord.

The 8' lever that lifts my hinged 4' deck roof extension to lower the supporting columns and then the roof for maintenance required only a screw
    eye in the house roof soffit to hook it to, and it swings up under the
    soffit for storage where it hides among all the other gear I have up there, like the block and tackle to raise the hinged deck stairs and pulleys for washing and drying tarps.

Anything not sheltered under the rim could ice up, a problem I have with my chimney cleaning brush rope and TV antenna raising and lowering mechanism
    which are on the shaded north side of the house.

Good luck, hth

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 25 10:49:26 2023
    "Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:ues3vv$1uqjt$1@dont-email.me...

"Don Foreman" wrote in message news:46f6c05e-9759-4a1c-8c9d-7cb88d3193a6n@googlegroups.com...
    Thanks. The problem with hydraulics is that they need a control and perhaps
    an energy source accessible from outside where they invite tampering. Even a recessed Schraeder valve to pressurize roller-raising air cylinders with a bicycle pump or CO2 tire inflater could become uncapped and filled with dirt
    by wind or wasps. Can you accept an external opening device that could break
    or be lost or forgotten?

-----------------------------

Another afterthought: The compressed air outlet beside my garage door is a water faucet with a DIY screened cap to keep mud wasps out but not lock in place if pressurized. It looks normal on the garage, wouldn't seem out of
    place on a well house and takes compressed air fittings with an NPT to GHT adapter. Removing the knob should make it less tempting to tamper with. The valve could lower the lid gently after removing the pressure source.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 25 12:37:59 2023
    "Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:ues3vv$1uqjt$1@dont-email.me...

https://tinyurl.com/4b2p7aut
    Max 145PSI

--------------------------

That was supposed to be a $16 air cylinder

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05