• Jon Krakauer: An Epic Coward

From bobbyjoehooker@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 29 16:46:54 2017
    You let it go crappie. Others have no intention of doing so. Just who in the h@ll are you to voice such a command? You don't bail out on your climbing companions, much less lay in a fetal position expunging " I can't do it. It's too hard". What a low
    life, bottom feeding scum bag. He leaves Beck to die from snow blindness, Anatoli has to rescue him, then when it time that his help is direly needed to save lives he remembers Becks blindness and seems to think that would serve him well too. What a
    snake. Then writes a book blaming everyone but himself. The guy then still continues to write for the magazine!! I'm thankful the new movie presented the event where any right thinking person could read between the lines. A dispicapable piece of
    GARBAGE...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From samuelwilliams1967@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 6 22:41:31 2018
    Or have ever been on a mountain rather than read about it

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From samuelwilliams1967@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 6 23:00:13 2018
    The immense skill and bravery of the helicopter pilot should be what is applauded

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From samuelwilliams1967@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 6 22:52:46 2018
    The book makes Krakauer out as a hero when we know he was a spineless coward and makes Rob Hall out as a hero when we know he should have turned around rather than give in to commercial demands

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From samuelwilliams1967@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 6 22:35:10 2018
    If you were actually there please comment

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rivertam2057@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to Brad Brandewie on Sun May 17 10:38:34 2020
    How about you actually read what he wrote and ask those same questions yourself?

Krakauer is a liar. When Beck + Boukreev both refute his statements who would you believe?

The man who made millions selling his version of the story or the other two which had nothing to gain from telling the truth?

On Monday, August 14, 2000 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Brad Brandewie wrote:
    Into Thin Air <Junior@junoor.org> wrote

Rather than addressing the issues, you've elected to address a nonissue--which is not surprising. If you're a supporter of the
    coward Jon Krakauer, you'd want to stay away from the issue of Jon Krakauer's epic cowardice.

Actually I avoided the issue because everyone in this group (except you aparently) has been through this subject matter numerous times before and
    did so at a much higher level of intelect.

Like what would you do if you knew my real name?

I would respect the fact that you stated your opinion and were willing to be accountable. (even if I did not agree with your opinion)

That wouldn't change a thing about what Krakauer did and didn't do,
    would it? If you knew my name, it wouldn't make Krakauer any less of
    an epic coward, would it?

You are missing the point.

It wouldn't make Krakauer any less of a liar, would it?

You are still missing the point.

And it wouldn't help Krakauer sleep any better at night, would it?

Repetition will not win a debate in a group of free thinkers such as rec.climbing.

PS. Have you climbed an 8000 meter peak? I thought not.

Lots of people have climbed 8000 meter peaks, but do you know any
    example of cowardice among that group that surpass Krakauer's
    cowardice?

I will take that as a NO. How about a 7000 meter peak? 6000? 5000? 4000? I
    am guessing you made the cut at 4000. "Look ma, I climbed Long's peak. Now let me tell you about expedition climbing on the highest mountain in the world".

Have you ever seriously considered the fact that you have not been in that type of situation and thus, you have no idea what you are talking about?

Brad

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sarmad Hakim@21:1/5 to rivert...@googlemail.com on Sun Sep 17 14:54:00 2023
    On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 10:38:36 PM UTC+5, rivert...@googlemail.com wrote:
    How about you actually read what he wrote and ask those same questions yourself?

Krakauer is a liar. When Beck + Boukreev both refute his statements who would you believe?

The man who made millions selling his version of the story or the other two which had nothing to gain from telling the truth?

On Monday, August 14, 2000 at 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Brad Brandewie wrote:
    Into Thin Air <Jun...@junoor.org> wrote

Rather than addressing the issues, you've elected to address a nonissue--which is not surprising. If you're a supporter of the
    coward Jon Krakauer, you'd want to stay away from the issue of Jon Krakauer's epic cowardice.

Actually I avoided the issue because everyone in this group (except you aparently) has been through this subject matter numerous times before and did so at a much higher level of intelect.

Like what would you do if you knew my real name?

I would respect the fact that you stated your opinion and were willing to be
    accountable. (even if I did not agree with your opinion)

That wouldn't change a thing about what Krakauer did and didn't do, would it? If you knew my name, it wouldn't make Krakauer any less of
    an epic coward, would it?

You are missing the point.

It wouldn't make Krakauer any less of a liar, would it?

You are still missing the point.

And it wouldn't help Krakauer sleep any better at night, would it?

Repetition will not win a debate in a group of free thinkers such as rec.climbing.

PS. Have you climbed an 8000 meter peak? I thought not.

Lots of people have climbed 8000 meter peaks, but do you know any example of cowardice among that group that surpass Krakauer's
    cowardice?

I will take that as a NO. How about a 7000 meter peak? 6000? 5000? 4000? I am guessing you made the cut at 4000. "Look ma, I climbed Long's peak. Now let me tell you about expedition climbing on the highest mountain in the world".

Have you ever seriously considered the fact that you have not been in that type of situation and thus, you have no idea what you are talking about?

Brad

Everest - 2015 also shows krakauer acting smug and selfish. Having a journalist in their midst only added to the pressure.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05