• Look-style replacement cleats

From Jim Flom@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 19 07:34:58 2023
    I grabbed a couple of different brands of replacement cleats for my cycling shoes. One's too loose (shoe comes out too easily), the other's too tight (won't release). Cleat replacment used to be so easy.
    The pair I got at my LBS was too loose. I discarded the packaging and there's no brand name on the cleats themselves. Its main body is black, with red pads for the ground and white on the shoe side, where it clips into the pedal. A single cleat
    actually separates into two nested pieces. There was no reliable clip in, clip out with it.
    So I went onto Amazon and got TrubliFit (9 degree float). Red with a little black rectangle in the centre between the screws. That one is a total wrestling match to get my foot out of the pedal. Not safe. Got that on Amazon.
    Anybody else have this problem? Have you foiund a brand that simply works? TIA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Jim Flom on Thu Oct 19 09:55:37 2023
    On 10/19/2023 9:34 AM, Jim Flom wrote:
    I grabbed a couple of different brands of replacement cleats for my cycling shoes. One's too loose (shoe comes out too easily), the other's too tight (won't release). Cleat replacment used to be so easy.
    The pair I got at my LBS was too loose. I discarded the packaging and there's no brand name on the cleats themselves. Its main body is black, with red pads for the ground and white on the shoe side, where it clips into the pedal. A single cleat
    actually separates into two nested pieces. There was no reliable clip in, clip out with it.
    So I went onto Amazon and got TrubliFit (9 degree float). Red with a little black rectangle in the centre between the screws. That one is a total wrestling match to get my foot out of the pedal. Not safe. Got that on Amazon.

Yes, there are several not-quite Look designs out there.
    Any reason you didn't buy actual Look cleats?
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Oct 19 08:55:14 2023
    On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 7:55:49 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I use Look Keo pedals and Look Keo cleats. If you're buying used Look or Look copies they are probably Delta type which have a larger cleat base for which you have to use Delta cleats. I believe that the present Shimano Road SpD's are copies of the Delta
    design which fell off of the patent term. However, if you overlay the Shimano road SpD cleat on a Keo, they look to have the same length though they re wider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Thu Oct 19 11:02:54 2023
    On 10/19/2023 10:55 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    Anybody else have this problem? Have you foiund a brand that simply works? >>> TIA

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I use Look Keo pedals and Look Keo cleats. If you're buying used Look or Look copies they are probably Delta type which have a larger cleat base for which you have to use Delta cleats. I believe that the present Shimano Road SpD's are copies of the
    Delta design which fell off of the patent term. However, if you overlay the Shimano road SpD cleat on a Keo, they look to have the same length though they re wider.

Shimano once sold France-built actual Look pedals rebadged. https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=DF177C1B-738B-4CB2-9DF5-60C300894BBF

There are no current Shimano pedals which are Look format,
    not Delta, not Keo.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Flom@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Oct 19 09:12:27 2023

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Not sure the LBS actually had genuine Look cleats, although I'm going to be paying attention next time, for sure. My pedals are the CX6, which appears to be Delta compatible, and which my (Amazon sourced) TrubliFit cleats supposedly are (coulda fooled
    me). The cleat for my right shoe clips out fine. The cleat for my left pedal... I just visualize the show at the next stoplight. I even switched pedals and had the same problem.

JF

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Oct 19 10:01:40 2023
    On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 9:03:06 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    Anybody else have this problem? Have you foiund a brand that simply works?
    TIA

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I use Look Keo pedals and Look Keo cleats. If you're buying used Look or Look copies they are probably Delta type which have a larger cleat base for which you have to use Delta cleats. I believe that the present Shimano Road SpD's are copies of the
    Delta design which fell off of the patent term. However, if you overlay the Shimano road SpD cleat on a Keo, they look to have the same length though they re wider.
    Shimano once sold France-built actual Look pedals rebadged. https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=DF177C1B-738B-4CB2-9DF5-60C300894BBF

not Delta, not Keo.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I could have sworn I tried the new cleats in a Delta pedal and they fit. But I just tried them in bot Delta and Keo pedals and they wouldn't work

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Crowell@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Thu Oct 19 10:54:43 2023
    On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 10:01:43 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
    TIA

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

not Delta, not Keo.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I could have sworn I tried the new cleats in a Delta pedal and they fit. But I just tried them in bot Delta and Keo pedals and they wouldn't work
    Sometimes with aftermarket Delta cleats I have had to closely observe where they are binding when you try to release them, and then file that area down a bit. Often it is just the nose of the pedal that has to be filed down a tiny bit where it contacts
    the pedal, so it can slide in a little farther, in order for it to release OK.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Flom@21:1/5 to William Crowell on Thu Oct 19 11:45:50 2023
    On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 10:54:45 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
    On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 10:01:43 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
    TIA

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I use Look Keo pedals and Look Keo cleats. If you're buying used Look or Look copies they are probably Delta type which have a larger cleat base for which you have to use Delta cleats. I believe that the present Shimano Road SpD's are copies of
    the Delta design which fell off of the patent term. However, if you overlay the Shimano road SpD cleat on a Keo, they look to have the same length though they re wider.

not Delta, not Keo.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    Sometimes with aftermarket Delta cleats I have had to closely observe where they are binding when you try to release them, and then file that area down a bit. Often it is just the nose of the pedal that has to be filed down a tiny bit where it contacts
    the pedal, so it can slide in a little farther, in order for it to release OK.

Good thoughts, everybody. I'll consider that filing idea too.

JF

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Landau@21:1/5 to Jim Flom on Fri Oct 20 18:04:06 2023
    On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 7:35:01 AM UTC-7, Jim Flom wrote:

Honey how come you don't lie speedplay X2

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05