• Building Bikes

From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 3 07:50:54 2023
    This is bicycles.tech and yet if I ask a question about something, very often the response is "you must be stupid if you don't know that".

This is normally from people that don't even know how to hold a wrench - like Slocomb or Flunky. Never once have they had an answer and only display absolute ignorance.

I have been surprised by Lou and Andrew who are knowledgeable often doing the same thing with Lou giving absolutely stupid answers like RTFM! (read the -- manual) This despite the fact that he has never read the manual. When I was describing the problem
    I was having HE never offered one bit of advice that there was a screw for bracing the front derailleur that could be causing the problem. So he went from knowing nothing about it himself to I should have known everything about it.

Andrew who normally has good advice, had nothing to say which shouldn't have been surprising since I doubt that he has built up a Di2 rig himself to see the possible problems.

So, if you don't have any accurate advice to offer, either say nothing or say so. So far I have watched Mark Cleary offered total BS advice on several things and he has also been left to sort them out himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Oct 3 10:08:38 2023
    On 10/3/2023 9:50 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    This is bicycles.tech and yet if I ask a question about something, very often the response is "you must be stupid if you don't know that".

This is normally from people that don't even know how to hold a wrench - like Slocomb or Flunky. Never once have they had an answer and only display absolute ignorance.

I have been surprised by Lou and Andrew who are knowledgeable often doing the same thing with Lou giving absolutely stupid answers like RTFM! (read the -- manual) This despite the fact that he has never read the manual. When I was describing the
    problem I was having HE never offered one bit of advice that there was a screw for bracing the front derailleur that could be causing the problem. So he went from knowing nothing about it himself to I should have known everything about it.

Andrew who normally has good advice, had nothing to say which shouldn't have been surprising since I doubt that he has built up a Di2 rig himself to see the possible problems.

So, if you don't have any accurate advice to offer, either say nothing or say so. So far I have watched Mark Cleary offered total BS advice on several things and he has also been left to sort them out himself.

I linked the drawings and directions for system layout.
    Shimano sites are chock full of useful resources.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Oct 3 08:26:47 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 8:08:43 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

I have been surprised by Lou and Andrew who are knowledgeable often doing the same thing with Lou giving absolutely stupid answers like RTFM! (read the -- manual) This despite the fact that he has never read the manual. When I was describing the
    problem I was having HE never offered one bit of advice that there was a screw for bracing the front derailleur that could be causing the problem. So he went from knowing nothing about it himself to I should have known everything about it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The one's that OTHER articles said did not work properly as well as my complaints? How much intelligence does it take to figure out that a 350 cm long Y cable will not run from a bar end terminal to the other end of a 40 cm bar when there are other
    things in the way like brake cables and such? Telling me that Shimano engineers know what they're doing when they took several years to get the Di2 correct and spent 11 years with a known bad construction technique on the upper end cranks should be a
    lesson learned by shop owners. You wouldn't hesitate a minute to criticize the Dura Ace shaft connection when I think that the Hirth connection on the Campy is completely out of place. My FSA SL-K Light crank is 100 grams lighter than the Campy and are
    they breaking?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Oct 3 08:57:11 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 5:26:49 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The one's that OTHER articles said did not work properly as well as my complaints? How much intelligence does it take to figure out that a 350 cm long Y cable will not run from a bar end terminal to the other end of a 40 cm bar when there are other
    things in the way like brake cables and such?

The 350 mm end of the Y cable doesn't have to run from the bar end terminal to the other end of the handlebar you stubborn old fool. It is not designed for that. Of course I didn't know that that screw was the cause because you said that the FD mount was
    riveted crocket on the seat tube and that was probably why the frame was so cheap. Next time post photo's because we can't trust your evaluation of a problem. You can't stand even in the shadow of Andrew concerning knowledge of building bikes. You are
    lucky that Andrew is so patient and polite despite you have offended him many times.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Oct 3 11:01:47 2023
    On 10/3/2023 10:26 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

things in the way like brake cables and such? Telling me that Shimano engineers know what they're doing when they took several years to get the Di2 correct and spent 11 years with a known bad construction technique on the upper end cranks should be a
    lesson learned by shop owners. You wouldn't hesitate a minute to criticize the Dura Ace shaft connection when I think that the Hirth connection on the Campy is completely out of place. My FSA SL-K Light crank is 100 grams lighter than the Campy and are
    they breaking?

Which proves the adage that assholes are like opinions;
    everyone has one.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From funkmasterxx@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Oct 3 09:38:10 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 12:01:51 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

they breaking?
    everyone has one.
    --

Not to mention the directly proportional relationship between the size of the opinion and the size of the asshole.....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Oct 3 14:25:10 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 8:57:13 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The 350 mm end of the Y cable doesn't have to run from the bar end terminal to the other end of the handlebar you stubborn old fool. It is not designed for that. Of course I didn't know that that screw was the cause because you said that the FD mount
    was riveted crocket on the seat tube and that was probably why the frame was so cheap. Next time post photo's because we can't trust your evaluation of a problem. You can't stand even in the shadow of Andrew concerning knowledge of building bikes. You
    are lucky that Andrew is so patient and polite despite you have offended him many times.

Lou
    I started saying out saying that the front derailleur was twisting off center on the bracket. What I'm saying is that before you say RTFM at least do so yourself. This was hardly an obvious problem and you have no more chance of detecting it yourself
    unless you'd had such a problem previously. As I said, a very well rounded mechanic had to look at it while trying to connect it to the adapter before realizing that it was the silly bracing screw. There was no way of seeing behind the derailleur and
    looking at the front of the derailleur it appeared that the screw that you could see on the surface was not on the same height as the one on the opposite side.

As for being an old fool, aren't we all for commenting on a google site? Do you think that you and the Nederland's isn't going to be effected if the Democrats, greatly funded by the owners of Google, succeed in destroying the Democracy in America? Trump
    won that 2020 election and if they succeed on repeating that without the excuse of the pandemic, the USA is gone for good and has been turned into a tyranny. That means that the protection of Europe will be gone forever. The owners of the Democrat party
    will start a war in Europe so that they can sell you all weapons. You can mark that on your calendar.

That is NOT a political statement but absolute reality staring you directly in the face. Why do you think that Obama promised "to have all American boots on American soil within 6 weeks of being elected" and then started a war in Afghanistan as well as
    expanding the war in Iraq? The US offered citizenship visas to any Afghani who volunteered to act as interpreters. They THEN left 500 of them there in Afghanistan to be murdered by the Taliban. If you believe that Europe can expect better treatment you
    better think what is happening to Trump right now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Oct 3 14:34:09 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 9:01:51 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

they breaking?
    everyone has one.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Well Andrew, I can on suggest that you actually try using a Y wire connector and then get back to me how well they work. I THINK that you could probably get them to work using a round bar and stem and a stem mounted controller. And as I said before - the
    BB90 was an entirely inappropriate choice for a Di2 ONLY bike which the Helium is. Until you are actually faced with the problems it isn't an opinion - it is something you don't personally have any experience with and so cannot contradict.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Oct 3 14:51:19 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 11:25:13 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have been surprised by Lou and Andrew who are knowledgeable often doing the same thing with Lou giving absolutely stupid answers like RTFM! (read the -- manual) This despite the fact that he has never read the manual. When I was describing
    the problem I was having HE never offered one bit of advice that there was a screw for bracing the front derailleur that could be causing the problem. So he went from knowing nothing about it himself to I should have known everything about it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The 350 mm end of the Y cable doesn't have to run from the bar end terminal to the other end of the handlebar you stubborn old fool. It is not designed for that. Of course I didn't know that that screw was the cause because you said that the FD mount
    was riveted crocket on the seat tube and that was probably why the frame was so cheap. Next time post photo's because we can't trust your evaluation of a problem. You can't stand even in the shadow of Andrew concerning knowledge of building bikes. You
    are lucky that Andrew is so patient and polite despite you have offended him many times.

Lou
    I started saying out saying that the front derailleur was twisting off center on the bracket. What I'm saying is that before you say RTFM at least do so yourself. This was hardly an obvious problem and you have no more chance of detecting it yourself
    unless you'd had such a problem previously.

That screw is mentioned in the mounting instruction of the front derailleur. You didn’t read that obviously. I did and I thought WTF and looked.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Oct 3 17:18:46 2023
    On 10/3/2023 4:25 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Lou
    unless you'd had such a problem previously. As I said, a very well rounded mechanic had to look at it while trying to connect it to the adapter before realizing that it was the silly bracing screw. There was no way of seeing behind the derailleur and
    looking at the front of the derailleur it appeared that the screw that you could see on the surface was not on the same height as the one on the opposite side.

-snip unrelated-

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam/global/cg1SHICCycling/final/ev/ev/EV-FD-R8150-4863.pd

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Oct 3 15:23:02 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 3:18:48 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The 350 mm end of the Y cable doesn't have to run from the bar end terminal to the other end of the handlebar you stubborn old fool. It is not designed for that. Of course I didn't know that that screw was the cause because you said that the FD
    mount was riveted crocket on the seat tube and that was probably why the frame was so cheap. Next time post photo's because we can't trust your evaluation of a problem. You can't stand even in the shadow of Andrew concerning knowledge of building bikes.
    You are lucky that Andrew is so patient and polite despite you have offended him many times.

Lou
    -snip unrelated-

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam/global/cg1SHICCycling/final/ev/ev/EV-FD-R8150-4863.pd
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I get "Page not Found" on that citation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Oct 3 15:31:07 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 2:51:21 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

I have been surprised by Lou and Andrew who are knowledgeable often doing the same thing with Lou giving absolutely stupid answers like RTFM! (read the -- manual) This despite the fact that he has never read the manual. When I was describing
    the problem I was having HE never offered one bit of advice that there was a screw for bracing the front derailleur that could be causing the problem. So he went from knowing nothing about it himself to I should have known everything about it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The one's that OTHER articles said did not work properly as well as my complaints? How much intelligence does it take to figure out that a 350 cm long Y cable will not run from a bar end terminal to the other end of a 40 cm bar when there are
    other things in the way like brake cables and such?
    The 350 mm end of the Y cable doesn't have to run from the bar end terminal to the other end of the handlebar you stubborn old fool. It is not designed for that. Of course I didn't know that that screw was the cause because you said that the FD
    mount was riveted crocket on the seat tube and that was probably why the frame was so cheap. Next time post photo's because we can't trust your evaluation of a problem. You can't stand even in the shadow of Andrew concerning knowledge of building bikes.
    You are lucky that Andrew is so patient and polite despite you have offended him many times.

Lou
    unless you'd had such a problem previously.
    That screw is mentioned in the mounting instruction of the front derailleur. You didn’t read that obviously. I did and I thought WTF and looked.

Lou
    "Mentioned"? In what regard? I built four or five Di2 bikes and started out reading all of the manuals that came with the components and I didn't have any trouble with any of them and I certainly don't remember a mention of that screw. I should note that
    the Colnagos had a nice clear braze-on and that screw even out all the way probably wouldn't have interfered with anything. And two of them were external aluminum bikes that also didn't have the sort of blocked braze-on that the Ridley did.

Only the Ridley had a cast aluminum braze-on with a large platform in the way of that brace.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Wed Oct 4 05:38:14 2023
    On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:01:47 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 8:08:43?AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

they breaking?

everyone has one.

As Mark Twain wrote, "Never argue with stupid people. They will drag
    you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Oct 3 17:42:28 2023
    On 10/3/2023 5:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Lou
    -snip unrelated-

oops; truncated 'pdf' to 'pd'

try this: https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam/global/cg1SHICCycling/final/ev/ev/EV-FD-R8150-4863.pdf
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Oct 3 15:49:18 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 3:42:31 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    On 10/3/2023 5:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 8:57:13 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>> On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 5:26:49 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>> On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 8:08:43 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The one's that OTHER articles said did not work properly as well as my complaints? How much intelligence does it take to figure out that a 350 cm long Y cable will not run from a bar end terminal to the other end of a 40 cm bar when there are

Lou
    I started saying out saying that the front derailleur was twisting off center on the bracket. What I'm saying is that before you say RTFM at least do so yourself. This was hardly an obvious problem and you have no more chance of detecting it
    yourself unless you'd had such a problem previously. As I said, a very well rounded mechanic had to look at it while trying to connect it to the adapter before realizing that it was the silly bracing screw. There was no way of seeing behind the
    derailleur and looking at the front of the derailleur it appeared that the screw that you could see on the surface was not on the same height as the one on the opposite side.
    -snip unrelated-

oops; truncated 'pdf' to 'pd'

try this: https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam/global/cg1SHICCycling/final/ev/ev/EV-FD-R8150-4863.pdf
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Thanks, my Dura Ace didn't have that "plate" or it would have put me on alert.

In any case, it works fine now. I did another 28 miles and 2200 feet of climbing this morning. That weight of the Ridley doesn't seem to be noticeable. The Moser and the Ridley are both good though the Ridley goes in a perfectly straight line on smooth
    road. None of my other bikes do that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Oct 3 15:50:31 2023
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 12:31:10 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have been surprised by Lou and Andrew who are knowledgeable often doing the same thing with Lou giving absolutely stupid answers like RTFM! (read the -- manual) This despite the fact that he has never read the manual. When I was
    describing the problem I was having HE never offered one bit of advice that there was a screw for bracing the front derailleur that could be causing the problem. So he went from knowing nothing about it himself to I should have known everything about it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Lou
    I started saying out saying that the front derailleur was twisting off center on the bracket. What I'm saying is that before you say RTFM at least do so yourself. This was hardly an obvious problem and you have no more chance of detecting it
    yourself unless you'd had such a problem previously.

Lou
    "Mentioned"? In what regard? I built four or five Di2 bikes and started out reading all of the manuals that came with the components and I didn't have any trouble with any of them and I certainly don't remember a mention of that screw. I should note
    that the Colnagos had a nice clear braze-on and that screw even out all the way probably wouldn't have interfered with anything. And two of them were external aluminum bikes that also didn't have the sort of blocked braze-on that the Ridley did.

Only the Ridley had a cast aluminum braze-on with a large platform in the way of that brace.

In addition to Andrews link to a Ultegra FD, here is a clip out of the dealers manual from my GRX Di2 group I installed:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZBpHPAy52Kk7twMj6

You're welcome.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Oct 3 16:55:26 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 3:50:34 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 12:31:10 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have been surprised by Lou and Andrew who are knowledgeable often doing the same thing with Lou giving absolutely stupid answers like RTFM! (read the -- manual) This despite the fact that he has never read the manual. When I was
    describing the problem I was having HE never offered one bit of advice that there was a screw for bracing the front derailleur that could be causing the problem. So he went from knowing nothing about it himself to I should have known everything about it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Lou
    yourself unless you'd had such a problem previously.

Lou
    "Mentioned"? In what regard? I built four or five Di2 bikes and started out reading all of the manuals that came with the components and I didn't have any trouble with any of them and I certainly don't remember a mention of that screw. I should note
    that the Colnagos had a nice clear braze-on and that screw even out all the way probably wouldn't have interfered with anything. And two of them were external aluminum bikes that also didn't have the sort of blocked braze-on that the Ridley did.

In addition to Andrews link to a Ultegra FD, here is a clip out of the dealers manual from my GRX Di2 group I installed:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZBpHPAy52Kk7twMj6

You're welcome.

Lou

Thanks for the additional information but my first Di2 bike was GRX with all new parts so I saw that before though I never needed to know any of that.

That indicates that the "plate" is a separate part that you slip in so as not to damage the braze-on adapter. I have never seen one of those "plates".

In any case, the bike is together now and works fine. I don't think that I have ever owned a bike that would go in a perfectly straight line without at least a little wobble back and forth of the forks. If there's no deviation on the road, there's none
    at all on the forks. That makes me wonder what a BMC racing bike is like.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Wed Oct 4 07:29:22 2023
    On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:34:09 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
    <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 9:01:51?AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 8:08:43?AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

they breaking?
    everyone has one.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Well Andrew, I can on suggest that you actually try using a Y wire connector and then get back to me how well they work. I THINK that you could probably get them to work using a round bar and stem and a stem mounted controller. And as I said before -
    the BB90 was an entirely inappropriate choice for a Di2 ONLY bike which the Helium is. Until you are actually faced with the problems it isn't an opinion - it is something you don't personally have any experience with and so cannot contradict.

Well, Tommy, now that you've insulted everyone on this site what will
    you do for your next trick?

Maybe get together with the Afro Irishman and build your own site, he
    seems to be the only one that listens to you. You could call it
    "circle jerk.tech". You know what nasty little boys call "mutual
    masturbation" - you sitting there and you stroke me and I'll stroke
    you.
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Tue Oct 3 21:22:41 2023
    On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:31:07 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich

I built four or five Di2 bikes and ...

Which of your 11(?) bicycles have Di2 components? <https://www.facebook.com/thomas.kunich.1/photos>
    On the photos that were taken from the starboard side and by counting
    visible cables, I couldn't find any Di2 components (wired or
    wireless).

--
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From funkmasterxx@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Oct 4 02:57:19 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 7:55:28 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

I don't think that I have ever owned a bike that would go in a perfectly straight line without at least a little wobble back and forth of the forks.

wow.......

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From funkmasterxx@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Oct 4 03:05:30 2023
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 6:49:21 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

The Moser and the Ridley are both good though the Ridley goes in a perfectly straight line on smooth road. None of my other bikes do that.

none of his other bikes go in a straight line on a smooth road......Let's ponder that for a minute and think if any one of of us have ever had that problem.......

I did once, a cheap carbon crit bike - A 'Tsunami' - that I couldn't ride with no hands without a severe front end wobble. In the last 40 years of racing (probably pushing 50 bikes in that time) I've never had another instance of that. I'm guessing no
    one here has ever had a problem with it either that wasn't attibutable to some sort of defect in the fork or design.

Feel free to post any other anecdotes of a properly built bike not being able to go in a straight line on a smooth road.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to funkma...@hotmail.com on Wed Oct 4 13:47:09 2023
    On 10/4/2023 6:05 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 6:49:21 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

The Moser and the Ridley are both good though the Ridley goes in a perfectly straight line on smooth road. None of my other bikes do that.

none of his other bikes go in a straight line on a smooth road......Let's ponder that for a minute and think if any one of of us have ever had that problem.......

I did once, a cheap carbon crit bike - A 'Tsunami' - that I couldn't ride with no hands without a severe front end wobble. In the last 40 years of racing (probably pushing 50 bikes in that time) I've never had another instance of that. I'm guessing no
    one here has ever had a problem with it either that wasn't attibutable to some sort of defect in the fork or design.

Feel free to post any other anecdotes of a properly built bike not being able to go in a straight line on a smooth road.

To get a little pedantic: It depends what Tom means by "straight." No
    bicycle rides perfectly straight. The act of balancing a bike is a
    constant series of balance corrections. The deviations from perfectly
    straight may vary from one bike geometry to another, but the deviations
    can't be zero for any extended time.

About riding "no hands," some bikes are much easier than others. I'm not comfortable trying to ride no-hands on my Bike Friday. It feels very
    twitchy, despite being designed for touring. But a while back I did some
    repair work on a neighbor's ancient "balloon tire bomber" bike, and I
    was amazed at its extreme stability.

No hands is pretty easy on all my more normal bikes.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Ryder@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Wed Dec 20 14:59:30 2023
    On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:47:15 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 10:28:47?AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 7:08:15?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Monday, December 18, 2023 at 11:42:27?AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
    I came to this group a long time ago when people that were building their own bikes were looking for advice. Now it looks like no one save for me builds their own bikes. Except for Andrew of course and Andre but it looks like he is now happy where
    he's at and isn't building any more.

I find building bikes almost as enjoyable as riding them. Lou is correct that they are not a particularly good investment but so what? I have money to burn, as it were. I worked very hard my whole life in order to do anything I like in my
    retirement. Although my retirement would probably be better if my strength wasn't waning so rapidly. But winter is here and that is bike building season and I'm returning not only to steel but to 10 speeds as well. I'll no longer be shifting all day to
    find the gear I want. I am doing Cull Canyon entirely in the 34 ring now and still have to skip gears because all of the one tooth differences in the higher speed ranges. I am in the big ring all of the way down of course but there are three spots where
    there is enough climbing on the way down to slow me up quite a bit. I can tell that it isn't my heart because the times I've used my heart rate monitor it has always stayed in the acceptable range or even a bit better considering the lung
    damage.

But if I crawl around the barrier on Redwood Rd and do the old climb, it is just as easy as I remember it though I am slower. But all of this might be because running the old Campagnolo 10 speed you had a limit of a 28 cog. I'm not in the least
    sure that the lower ratios are any better. While it is easier to climb in the 32 or 34, it takes a lot longer to get to the top so you're working just as much. You just aren't straining as much.

Were I going to Moraga, the hardest climbs are right near the top of Pinehurst right at the top and Valley road that leads into Moraga. The Pinehurst climb is only a couple of hundred feet but the Valley climb is a quarter mile. While the old
    farts are dropping me on the flats, they will no longer even attempt the climbs I do and they most certainly won't try the miles. This means that now 90% of my miles are alone. But no matter since most if them are on seldom used roads though they are
    used a lot more than they used to be and a lot more than I would prefer.

Time to work on a bike. I would like it to be assembling the Basso but that will start tomorrow.
    I would have expected that on a bicycles.tech group that there would be people that build up their own bikes but aside from Andrew apparently not.
    My last build for a friend was a couple of months ago. Acquire all parts, before building check if all the part are in and correct. If that is the case the actual build is just one evening. Last build was a bike with hydraulic disk brakes with
    internal routing. It took two evenings, all went well without problems. Nowadays however most people buy complete bikes. Building your own wheels is an art that has gone out of fashion a long time ago.

Lou
    Good wheels are so available and so cheap that it is foolish to build you own unless you have an oddball like Catrike.

I did buy spare wheels, front and back, so I had something to use
    while I was rebuilding the old ones. I might be the oddball one lacing
    wheels, but it was something I needed to teach myself how to do.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Ryder@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Wed Dec 20 14:52:06 2023
    On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 10:08:13 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

I came to this group a long time ago when people that were building their own bikes were looking for advice. Now it looks like no one save for me builds their own bikes. Except for Andrew of course and Andre but it looks like he is now happy where he'
    s at and isn't building any more.

I find building bikes almost as enjoyable as riding them. Lou is correct that they are not a particularly good investment but so what? I have money to burn, as it were. I worked very hard my whole life in order to do anything I like in my retirement.
    Although my retirement would probably be better if my strength wasn't waning so rapidly. But winter is here and that is bike building season and I'm returning not only to steel but to 10 speeds as well. I'll no longer be shifting all day to find the gear
    I want. I am doing Cull Canyon entirely in the 34 ring now and still have to skip gears because all of the one tooth differences in the higher speed ranges. I am in the big ring all of the way down of course but there are three spots where there is
    enough climbing on the way down to slow me up quite a bit. I can tell that it isn't my heart because the times I've used my heart rate monitor it has always stayed in the acceptable range or even a bit better considering the lung damage.

But if I crawl around the barrier on Redwood Rd and do the old climb, it is just as easy as I remember it though I am slower. But all of this might be because running the old Campagnolo 10 speed you had a limit of a 28 cog. I'm not in the least sure
    that the lower ratios are any better. While it is easier to climb in the 32 or 34, it takes a lot longer to get to the top so you're working just as much. You just aren't straining as much.

Were I going to Moraga, the hardest climbs are right near the top of Pinehurst right at the top and Valley road that leads into Moraga. The Pinehurst climb is only a couple of hundred feet but the Valley climb is a quarter mile. While the old farts
    are dropping me on the flats, they will no longer even attempt the climbs I do and they most certainly won't try the miles. This means that now 90% of my miles are alone. But no matter since most if them are on seldom used roads though they are used a
    lot more than they used to be and a lot more than I would prefer.

Time to work on a bike. I would like it to be assembling the Basso but that will start tomorrow.

I would have expected that on a bicycles.tech group that there would be people that build up their own bikes but aside from Andrew apparently not.

It might not be quite the same, but I had to take everything off a
    damaged Catrike frame and put it all on the new one. Most of the parts
    had already been replaced, anyway. And now I've even built a wheel. I
    haven't started relacing the two front wheels yet, but I'll be getting
    to it before too long.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to Catrike Ryder on Wed Dec 20 20:40:50 2023
    Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
    On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 10:08:13 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

I came to this group a long time ago when people that were building
    their own bikes were looking for advice. Now it looks like no one save
    for me builds their own bikes. Except for Andrew of course and Andre
    but it looks like he is now happy where he's at and isn't building any more.

I find building bikes almost as enjoyable as riding them. Lou is
    correct that they are not a particularly good investment but so what? I
    have money to burn, as it were. I worked very hard my whole life in
    order to do anything I like in my retirement. Although my retirement
    would probably be better if my strength wasn't waning so rapidly. But
    winter is here and that is bike building season and I'm returning not
    only to steel but to 10 speeds as well. I'll no longer be shifting all
    day to find the gear I want. I am doing Cull Canyon entirely in the 34
    ring now and still have to skip gears because all of the one tooth
    differences in the higher speed ranges. I am in the big ring all of the
    way down of course but there are three spots where there is enough
    climbing on the way down to slow me up quite a bit. I can tell that it
    isn't my heart because the times I've used my heart rate monitor it has
    always stayed in the acceptable range or even a bit better considering the lung damage.

But if I crawl around the barrier on Redwood Rd and do the old climb,
    it is just as easy as I remember it though I am slower. But all of this
    might be because running the old Campagnolo 10 speed you had a limit of
    a 28 cog. I'm not in the least sure that the lower ratios are any
    better. While it is easier to climb in the 32 or 34, it takes a lot
    longer to get to the top so you're working just as much. You just
    aren't straining as much.

Were I going to Moraga, the hardest climbs are right near the top of
    Pinehurst right at the top and Valley road that leads into Moraga. The
    Pinehurst climb is only a couple of hundred feet but the Valley climb
    is a quarter mile. While the old farts are dropping me on the flats,
    they will no longer even attempt the climbs I do and they most
    certainly won't try the miles. This means that now 90% of my miles are
    alone. But no matter since most if them are on seldom used roads though
    they are used a lot more than they used to be and a lot more than I would prefer.

Time to work on a bike. I would like it to be assembling the Basso but
    that will start tomorrow.

I would have expected that on a bicycles.tech group that there would be
    people that build up their own bikes but aside from Andrew apparently not.

It might not be quite the same, but I had to take everything off a
    damaged Catrike frame and put it all on the new one. Most of the parts
    had already been replaced, anyway. And now I've even built a wheel. I haven't started relacing the two front wheels yet, but I'll be getting
    to it before too long.

My old MTB ie the commute beast is running out of original parts…

And to be honest with all my bikes get upgraded as time goes on, for
    example had new rear mech for gravel bike recently.

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pH@21:1/5 to Catrike Ryder on Thu Dec 21 05:30:54 2023
    On 2023-12-20, Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 10:28:47?AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 7:08:15?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    I came to this group a long time ago when people that were building their own bikes were looking for advice. Now it looks like no one save for me builds their own bikes. Except for Andrew of course and Andre but it looks like he is now happy
    where he's at and isn't building any more.

I find building bikes almost as enjoyable as riding them. Lou is correct that they are not a particularly good investment but so what? I have money to burn, as it were. I worked very hard my whole life in order to do anything I like in my
    retirement. Although my retirement would probably be better if my strength wasn't waning so rapidly. But winter is here and that is bike building season and I'm returning not only to steel but to 10 speeds as well. I'll no longer be shifting all day to
    find the gear I want. I am doing Cull Canyon entirely in the 34 ring now and still have to skip gears because all of the one tooth differences in the higher speed ranges. I am in the big ring all of the way down of course but there are three spots where
    there is enough climbing on the way down to slow me up quite a bit. I can tell that it isn't my heart because the times I've used my heart rate monitor it has always stayed in the acceptable range or even a bit better considering the lung
    damage.

But if I crawl around the barrier on Redwood Rd and do the old climb, it is just as easy as I remember it though I am slower. But all of this might be because running the old Campagnolo 10 speed you had a limit of a 28 cog. I'm not in the least
    sure that the lower ratios are any better. While it is easier to climb in the 32 or 34, it takes a lot longer to get to the top so you're working just as much. You just aren't straining as much.

Were I going to Moraga, the hardest climbs are right near the top of Pinehurst right at the top and Valley road that leads into Moraga. The Pinehurst climb is only a couple of hundred feet but the Valley climb is a quarter mile. While the old
    farts are dropping me on the flats, they will no longer even attempt the climbs I do and they most certainly won't try the miles. This means that now 90% of my miles are alone. But no matter since most if them are on seldom used roads though they are

My last build for a friend was a couple of months ago. Acquire all parts, before building check if all the part are in and correct. If that is the case the actual build is just one evening. Last build was a bike with hydraulic disk brakes with
    internal routing. It took two evenings, all went well without problems. Nowadays however most people buy complete bikes. Building your own wheels is an art that has gone out of fashion a long time ago.

Lou
    Good wheels are so available and so cheap that it is foolish to build you own unless you have an oddball like Catrike.

while I was rebuilding the old ones. I might be the oddball one lacing wheels, but it was something I needed to teach myself how to do.

All the wheels on my bikes are homebuilts.

pH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Ryder@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 21 03:11:19 2023
    On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 05:30:54 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org>
    wrote:

On 2023-12-20, Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 10:28:47?AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>> On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 7:08:15?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>> > On Monday, December 18, 2023 at 11:42:27?AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>> > > I came to this group a long time ago when people that were building their own bikes were looking for advice. Now it looks like no one save for me builds their own bikes. Except for Andrew of course and Andre but it looks like he is now happy
    where he's at and isn't building any more.

damage.

Lou

while I was rebuilding the old ones. I might be the oddball one lacing
    wheels, but it was something I needed to teach myself how to do.

All the wheels on my bikes are homebuilts.

pH

My hats off to you. In my opinion, there's a great deal of
    satisfaction to be had in knowing how to do something and to use that
    knowledge to create things for yourself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zen Cycle@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Thu Dec 21 07:22:17 2023
    On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 1:08:15 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

I would have expected that on a bicycles.tech group that there
    would be people that build up their own bikes but aside from
    Andrew apparently not.

Gee, let's recap what happened the last time someone besides tommy
    decided to post a message about their latest build.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/hKCQ4lNXAQAJ "Does that look like the bike of a guy who claimed to be a racer? Or a
    guy that is over 5'4" tall? I don't care what size he is or what way he
    rides but misrepresenting himself is bullshit and gets tiresome. Compare
    that to my normal ride"

Let's just set aside the fact that I very clearly stated I set it up for
    my wife who does not race, has never raced, and will never race.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/OamKR05aAQAJ
    " it has that damned unicrown fork on it that was always a POS."

Let's just set aside that it was actually a Steelman fork (From Brent
    Steelman of Steelman Cycles) - generally considered to be one of the
    higher-end steel forks available, and anyone familiar with the pre-trek
    CX bikes made by Bontrager would know Bontrager didn't put POS unicrown
    forks on his bikes - the Steelman fork was OEM on the Bontrager CX.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/Pht5ZR3sAQAJ
    " What was with that crap that he was going to "return to racing CX"?
    The bike was totally inadequate and physically he doesn't even have the
    proper body type."

Let's just set aside that the bike was marketed by Bontrager (pre-trek)
    as a CX racing bike, and professional CX racers run just as wide a morphological range as road racers, with 2022 world champion Tom Pidcock
    at 5'7" 130#, and current CX world cup leader Eli Iserbyt at 5'5" and
    125# on the 'smaller' end of riders.

So tommy, why would anyone want to post anything about building their
    own bikes when they see you being such a fucking asshole when someone does?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Ryder@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 21 17:37:24 2023
    On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 05:33:31 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
    wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 07:22:17 -0500, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 1:08:15?PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

Andrew apparently not.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/hKCQ4lNXAQAJ >>"Does that look like the bike of a guy who claimed to be a racer? Or a
    guy that is over 5'4" tall? I don't care what size he is or what way he >>rides but misrepresenting himself is bullshit and gets tiresome. Compare >>that to my normal ride"

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/OamKR05aAQAJ >>" it has that damned unicrown fork on it that was always a POS."

Let's just set aside that it was actually a Steelman fork (From Brent >>Steelman of Steelman Cycles) - generally considered to be one of the >>higher-end steel forks available, and anyone familiar with the pre-trek
    CX bikes made by Bontrager would know Bontrager didn't put POS unicrown >>forks on his bikes - the Steelman fork was OEM on the Bontrager CX.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/Pht5ZR3sAQAJ >>" What was with that crap that he was going to "return to racing CX"?
    The bike was totally inadequate and physically he doesn't even have the >>proper body type."

as a CX racing bike, and professional CX racers run just as wide a >>morphological range as road racers, with 2022 world champion Tom Pidcock

Granted it is much a matter of semantics but Tom doesn't "build"
    bikes, he "assembles" bikes. i.e. gets the parts and puts them
    together... with a multitude of problems :-)

A guy who "assembles" houses out of parts he bought isn't building
    houses?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zen Cycle@21:1/5 to Zen Cycle on Thu Dec 21 18:08:06 2023
    On 12/21/2023 7:22 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 1:08:15 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

Andrew apparently not.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/hKCQ4lNXAQAJ "Does that look like the bike of a guy who claimed to be a racer? Or a
    guy that is over 5'4" tall? I don't care what size he is or what way he
    rides but misrepresenting himself is bullshit and gets tiresome. Compare
    that to my normal ride"

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/OamKR05aAQAJ
    " it has that damned unicrown fork on it that was always a POS."

Let's just set aside that it was actually a Steelman fork (From Brent Steelman of Steelman Cycles) - generally considered to be one of the higher-end steel forks available, and anyone familiar with the pre-trek
    CX bikes made by Bontrager would know Bontrager didn't put POS unicrown
    forks on his bikes - the Steelman fork was OEM on the Bontrager CX.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/Pht5ZR3sAQAJ
    " What was with that crap that he was going to "return to racing CX"?
    The bike was totally inadequate and physically he doesn't even have the proper body type."

as a CX racing bike, and professional CX racers run just as wide a morphological range as road racers, with 2022 world champion Tom Pidcock

So tommy being tommy, rather than address the points here, goes over
    to a ten-month-old thread because he's too much of a coward to answer me directly.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/pytqAofIAAAJ

On Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 3:14:06 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 11:40:24 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 8:28:51 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 6:25:37 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman
    wrote:
    On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 3:02:03 PM UTC+1,
    funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
    I bought this Pre-Trek Beauty in about 2000 when I decided to
    get back into racing after a short hiatus to build career and family.

While the ride of this bike was a fantastic stable feel and
    response, it was a bit heavy, and as the years of CX racing in New
    England evolved to match the evolution of CX bikes, I switched to a Fort
    CX which was better suited to the course designs - more maneuverable and quicker response.

So this hung in my basement for a while, until recently when
    the Missus asked about getting a gravel bike. "I have just the thing for
    you", I told her.

The new build is SRAM Force/Apex, with red TRP canti's and
    Bontrager CX wheels (post Trek), Vittoria Rubino 30 gravel tires, and
    Wellgo pedals with toe straps because she prefers sneakers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ut2Ptrk6dhJf6WR2nKT6r0JvLA31ULrh/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ubOYOuOBWMGfnP3-uDKLNb-tSaUmaLq8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uZvNS-pSrOZPzgyR3F2v4gPNev4pbzB7/view?usp=sharing

I took it out for a mostly paved jaunt to shake it out. It
    rides as smooth, stable, comfortable, and responsive as I remember, and
    even took it for a bit of a school bus draft at ~35 mph.

She'll be taking it on some rail trails this year.

The first build was Campy Chorus (recently retired from a
    Merlin build) with an Ultegra single 38 crank, SRP cantis, and Rolf
    Vector Pro wheels.

Racing the rig ~2009

at Shedd Park in Lowell MA:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KmsY98jsF5jmMGg2UIhWHRRcEbywe5HY/view?usp=sharing

AppleCross in Hampton NH

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uaCJzHNoPOtbQ1auaQrqy7RpGGy0ex1q/view?usp=sharing
    Have fun with it.
    Does that look like the bike of a guy who claimed to be a racer?
    Or a guy that is over 5'4" tall? I don't care what size he is or what
    way he rides but misrepresenting himself is bullshit and gets tiresome.
    Compare that to my normal ride: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=891068818704535&set=pcb.891069548704462
    And the quill stem was dropped another 2"
    It is set up for his wife.

Lou
    Yes, but he infers that it is an older bike of his own. The other
    pictures also show him riding 50 or 52 cm bikes,

No, shitferbrains, none of the pictures I've posted show me riding a 52
    or 53. Every road and CX bike I've ever owned are either 'medium' or 56
    CM. The Bontrager CX is a "medium".

He's not the person he pretends to be in his postings.

And what do I "pretend" to be?

As for comments elsewhere - I knew Keith Bontrager and when he was
    closing shop after selling out to Trek, he gave me a sack full of
    cycling caps. I still have most of them here. So people needn't think
    that they're explaining anything to me about Brent or Keith.

No one was, except for the fact that you don't really have clue about
    what bikes they built.

And that fork on that bike is a unicrown fork. While I don't remember
    Brent making any of those horrible things, perhaps he did.

It's a Steelman fork, an upgrade option that was available on Bontrager
    CX bikes. Here are a few other examples, every one of them has the
    Steelman fork, as noted in a few of the listings:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/my-bontrager-cx-is-finally-done.249222/ https://velomoo.blogspot.com/2009/01/bontrager-cyclocross.html http://www.cyclofiend.com/cx/2006/cx008-jeromyhewitt0406.html
    "hand built Bontrager CX Frame by Keith Bontrager w/ steelman fork" https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4601179223_79f62ec9aa_o.jpg https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2983880/
    "This sale includes the original straight leg Steelman fork" https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3058034/
    "The straight blade fork was a rare option for this generation"

On a hard bump the wheel can deform on rebound and cut the tire. I
    have seen it happen several times.

Sure, that's why Gunnar cycles writes "Nothing beats the strength of the unicrown design"
    https://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/forks/

And I'm sure that's why Tom Ritchey puts his name on a unicrown steel
    fork - because they're noodly pieces of shit that fail catastrophically: https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/forks/wcs-steel-adventure-fork

If you've seen them break from impact, it's a cheap fork, it isn't
    because the unicrown is inherently weak. But then, you're the moron who
    thinks a dent can be ridden out of a top tube with road vibrations.

As usual, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

It is fine that Flunky raced. I'm sure he never did any good but that
    is also what all but the top 3 of a field do, so that sort or racing is
    for the fun of it.

I've never claimed to be a great racer, never bragged about my results.
    I race for the fun of it.

--
    Add xx to reply

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Ryder@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 21 19:18:22 2023
    On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 06:00:02 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
    wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:37:24 -0500, Catrike Ryder
    <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 07:22:17 -0500, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> >>>wrote:

Andrew apparently not.

Gee, let's recap what happened the last time someone besides tommy >>>>decided to post a message about their latest build.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/hKCQ4lNXAQAJ >>>>"Does that look like the bike of a guy who claimed to be a racer? Or a >>>>guy that is over 5'4" tall? I don't care what size he is or what way he >>>>rides but misrepresenting himself is bullshit and gets tiresome. Compare >>>>that to my normal ride"

Let's just set aside the fact that I very clearly stated I set it up for >>>>my wife who does not race, has never raced, and will never race.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/OamKR05aAQAJ >>>>" it has that damned unicrown fork on it that was always a POS."

Let's just set aside that it was actually a Steelman fork (From Brent >>>>Steelman of Steelman Cycles) - generally considered to be one of the >>>>higher-end steel forks available, and anyone familiar with the pre-trek >>>>CX bikes made by Bontrager would know Bontrager didn't put POS unicrown >>>>forks on his bikes - the Steelman fork was OEM on the Bontrager CX.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/Pht5ZR3sAQAJ >>>>" What was with that crap that he was going to "return to racing CX"? >>>>The bike was totally inadequate and physically he doesn't even have the >>>>proper body type."

Let's just set aside that the bike was marketed by Bontrager (pre-trek) >>>>as a CX racing bike, and professional CX racers run just as wide a >>>>morphological range as road racers, with 2022 world champion Tom Pidcock >>>>at 5'7" 130#, and current CX world cup leader Eli Iserbyt at 5'5" and >>>>125# on the 'smaller' end of riders.

So tommy, why would anyone want to post anything about building their >>>>own bikes when they see you being such a fucking asshole when someone does? >>>
    bikes, he "assembles" bikes. i.e. gets the parts and puts them >>>together... with a multitude of problems :-)

houses?

One definition I came across was "The first little pig built his house
    from straw, the second from sticks and the third from bricks" :-)

But does one order a bedroom, a living room and a kitchen and have
    them delivered on a big truck? Or does one order a stack of 2 x 4's
    and some boards?

..and those are "parts."

Does on order a frame and two wheels? Or some tubes and lugs and a new
    gas bottle for the acetylene torch?

Tubes and lugs are "parts."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to funkma...@hotmail.com on Thu Dec 21 19:34:58 2023
    On 12/21/2023 7:21 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 6:37:16 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

Now that you've shown everyone that you are indeed Flunky signing on in yet another persona so that you can agree with yourself.

I've never claimed Zencycle wasn't Funkmaster, dumbass. You seem to be to only one too dense to figure it out.

People will begin to see why I hold you in such disgust.

newsflash, dumbass, no one here gives a flying fuck what you consider to be disgusting.

While that Steelman you're riding has a lot of clearance I do not believe that is a one of Brent's forks

Well, gee sparky, the internet is your friend!

https://web.archive.org/web/20030207230412/http://www.steelmancycles.com/cc.html
    "The CC frame is equipped with our own exclusive straight blade unicrown fork."

I guess you could call that 'straight from the horses mouth' - ad copy on Steelmans website stating they make an exclusive straightblade unicrown fork.

He sold the forks separately to frame builders - like Keith Bontrager - for use as OEM options. Here's another:
    Steelman CX set up as a singlespeed with a Steelman unicrown fork https://www.mtbr.com/threads/vintage-ss-fixed-steelman-eurocross-porn-now-functional-wall-art.1221872/?post_id=15979579&nested_view=1#post-15979579

and another:
    Moot TI with a Steelman unicrown fork https://www.mtbr.com/threads/moots-psychlo-x-ybb-titanium-cyclocross-bike.1207320/#post-15690919

And another: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-700c-atb-mtb-hybrid.459355/page-3

Unicrown forks are very poorly made.

only when someone doesn't know what they're doing - like you.

Bontrager, Dennis Ritchey and Steelman all built good custom bikes., If that came from Brent, he bought it to finish a cheap bike.

No, stupid, Brent Steelman made exceptionally high quality steel unicrown forks. He used them on his bikes, and sold them to other custom builders for use on their bikes. There's nothing wrong with unicrown forks.

As usual, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

https://framebuildersupply.com/collections/fork-blades/products/columbus-unicrown-fork-blades-25-4mm-round-15-5mm-id-tip-1-2-9-wall-length-410
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zen Cycle@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Fri Dec 22 08:23:33 2023

Now that you've shown everyone that you are indeed Flunky signing on
    in yet another persona so that you can agree with yourself.

I've never claimed Zencycle wasn't Funkmaster, dumbass. You seem to be
    to only one too dense to figure it out.

newsflash, dumbass, no one here gives a flying fuck what you consider to
    be disgusting.

While that Steelman you're riding has a lot of clearance I do not
    believe that is a one of Brent's forks

https://web.archive.org/web/20030207230412/http://www.steelmancycles.com/cc.html
    "The CC frame is equipped with our own exclusive straight blade unicrown
    fork. "

I guess you could call that 'straight from the horses mouth' - ad copy
    on Steelmans website stating they make an exclusive straightblade
    unicrown fork.

He sold the forks separately to frame builders - like Keith Bontrager -
    for use as OEM options. Here's another:
    Steelman CX set up as a singlespeed with a Steelman unicrown fork https://www.mtbr.com/threads/vintage-ss-fixed-steelman-eurocross-porn-now-functional-wall-art.1221872/?post_id=15979579&nested_view=1#post-15979579

and another:
    Moot TI with a Steelman unicrown fork https://www.mtbr.com/threads/moots-psychlo-x-ybb-titanium-cyclocross-bike.1207320/#post-15690919

And another: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-700c-atb-mtb-hybrid.459355/page-3

Bontrager, Dennis Ritchey and Steelman all built good custom bikes.,
    If that came from Brent, he bought it to finish a cheap bike.

No, stupid, Brent Steelman made exceptionally high quality steel
    unicrown forks. He used them on his bikes, and sold them to other custom builders for use on their bikes. There's nothing wrong with unicrown forks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zen Cycle@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Fri Dec 22 08:27:01 2023
    On Thursday, December 21, 2023 at 8:35:01 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
    On 12/21/2023 7:21 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

Now that you've shown everyone that you are indeed Flunky signing
    on in yet another persona so that you can agree with yourself.

I've never claimed Zencycle wasn't Funkmaster, dumbass. You seem to
    be to only one too dense to figure it out.

newsflash, dumbass, no one here gives a flying fuck what you
    consider to be disgusting.

While that Steelman you're riding has a lot of clearance I do not
    believe that is a one of Brent's forks

"The CC frame is equipped with our own exclusive straight blade
    unicrown fork."

I guess you could call that 'straight from the horses mouth' - ad
    copy on Steelmans website stating they make an exclusive straightblade
    unicrown fork.

He sold the forks separately to frame builders - like Keith
    Bontrager - for use as OEM options. Here's another:
    Steelman CX set up as a singlespeed with a Steelman unicrown fork

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/vintage-ss-fixed-steelman-eurocross-porn-now-functional-wall-art.1221872/?post_id=15979579&nested_view=1#post-15979579

and another:
    Moot TI with a Steelman unicrown fork

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/moots-psychlo-x-ybb-titanium-cyclocross-bike.1207320/#post-15690919

And another:

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-700c-atb-mtb-hybrid.459355/page-3

Bontrager, Dennis Ritchey and Steelman all built good custom
    bikes., If that came from Brent, he bought it to finish a cheap bike.

No, stupid, Brent Steelman made exceptionally high quality steel
    unicrown forks. He used them on his bikes, and sold them to other custom builders for use on their bikes. There's nothing wrong with unicrown forks.

https://framebuildersupply.com/collections/fork-blades/products/columbus-unicrown-fork-blades-25-4mm-round-15-5mm-id-tip-1-2-9-wall-length-410
    --

Just for clarity - tom isn't disputing that unicrown forks can be made,
    even from Columbus tubing. His complaint is that they are an inherently
    flawed design, and it isn't possible to build a high quality (stiff,
    light, responsive) unicrown fork - even by builders such as Steelman,
    Ritchey, and dozens of other reputable builders, even after being shown
    a statement on Steelmans (archived) website "The CC frame is equipped
    with our own exclusive straight blade unicrown fork." Tommy's statement
    "If that came from Brent, he bought it to finish a cheap bike" is beyond laughable - Imagine a framebuilder with a reputation like Steelman,
    Ritchey, or Bontrager thinking "I'mma grab this cheap piece o' shit fork
    and slap in on a bike with my name on it".

BTW - just for tommy's edification (if that's even possible), The genius
    behind Ritchey isn't anyone named Dennis. It's Tom. Ferfuckssake, you'd
    think even _tommy_ would remember that (I can't believe I missed that
    the first time around).

And one more note on the issue of whether a unicrown fork can be a good
    design, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Ritchey#Innovations credits
    Ritchey "1983 - Standard unicrown tapered fork".

Of course we won't hear from tommy on the blatantly obvious fact that
    he's wrong, after all, in the timeless words of fake-irish shitstain,
    "tom is always right".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Radey Shouman@21:1/5 to John B. on Fri Dec 22 11:20:28 2023
    John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> writes:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:37:24 -0500, Catrike Ryder
    <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 07:22:17 -0500, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> >>>wrote:

Andrew apparently not.

Gee, let's recap what happened the last time someone besides tommy >>>>decided to post a message about their latest build.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/hKCQ4lNXAQAJ >>>>"Does that look like the bike of a guy who claimed to be a racer? Or a >>>>guy that is over 5'4" tall? I don't care what size he is or what way he >>>>rides but misrepresenting himself is bullshit and gets tiresome. Compare >>>>that to my normal ride"

Let's just set aside the fact that I very clearly stated I set it up for >>>>my wife who does not race, has never raced, and will never race.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/OamKR05aAQAJ >>>>" it has that damned unicrown fork on it that was always a POS."

Let's just set aside that it was actually a Steelman fork (From Brent >>>>Steelman of Steelman Cycles) - generally considered to be one of the >>>>higher-end steel forks available, and anyone familiar with the pre-trek >>>>CX bikes made by Bontrager would know Bontrager didn't put POS unicrown >>>>forks on his bikes - the Steelman fork was OEM on the Bontrager CX.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/h-RVKnBFnds/m/Pht5ZR3sAQAJ >>>>" What was with that crap that he was going to "return to racing CX"? >>>>The bike was totally inadequate and physically he doesn't even have the >>>>proper body type."

Let's just set aside that the bike was marketed by Bontrager (pre-trek) >>>>as a CX racing bike, and professional CX racers run just as wide a >>>>morphological range as road racers, with 2022 world champion Tom Pidcock >>>>at 5'7" 130#, and current CX world cup leader Eli Iserbyt at 5'5" and >>>>125# on the 'smaller' end of riders.

So tommy, why would anyone want to post anything about building their >>>>own bikes when they see you being such a fucking asshole when someone does? >>>
    bikes, he "assembles" bikes. i.e. gets the parts and puts them >>>together... with a multitude of problems :-)

houses?

One definition I came across was "The first little pig built his house
    from straw, the second from sticks and the third from bricks" :-)

But does one order a bedroom, a living room and a kitchen and have
    them delivered on a big truck? Or does one order a stack of 2 x 4's
    and some boards?

One used to be able to order a house kit, to be assembled on site:

https://thecraftsmanblog.com/the-history-of-sears-kit-homes/

The house across the street from mine is one, built or assembled some time
    in the thirties. It's an attractive house.

Today there are all manner of factory built "modular" houses that can be installed on site, with a bit of finishing required. Some are really
    nice buildings, not the stereotypical double-wide.

Does on order a frame and two wheels? Or some tubes and lugs and a new
    gas bottle for the acetylene torch?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Fri Dec 22 11:13:28 2023
    On 12/22/2023 11:00 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
    On 12/22/2023 11:20 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:

One used to be able to order a house kit, to be assembled
    on site:

The house across the street from mine is one, built or
    assembled some time
    in the thirties.  It's an attractive house.

Today there are all manner of factory built "modular"
    houses that can be
    installed on site, with a bit of finishing required.
    Some are really

As I understand it, the Sears houses were kits composed of
    individual 2x4s, etc. Unlike the modular houses, the Sears
    kids had to be knocked together one nail at a time.

And it is amazing to me that the biggest investment most
    families ever make is assembled almost exactly as it was in
    ~1930. Roof trusses are often shipped assembled (to the
    detriment of attic space) but the rest of a house is usually
    stick built, with work halting for bad weather, etc.

I recently read an article about the repeated efforts to
    improve that situation - to do sub-assemblies in factories
    and ship them to site - but apparently it's a difficult
    problem. Many attempts have failed.

But ideas are always cooking. This looks kind of interesting: https://youtu.be/vL2KoMNzGTo?t=1

OK, interesting.

My (small) understanding of reinforced concrete construction
    from my time laying and tying rebar is that they can save a
    lot of labor and steel costs that way.

If it were my house, I'd prefer a CE and an architect rather
    than a software designer.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Fri Jan 12 21:40:22 2024
    Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    On 12/22/2023 12:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:

One used to be able to order a house kit, to be assembled on site:

The house across the street from mine is one, built or assembled
    some time

Today there are all manner of factory built "modular" houses that
    can be
    installed on site, with a bit of finishing required. Some are really

As I understand it, the Sears houses were kits composed of individual
    2x4s, etc. Unlike the modular houses, the Sears kids had to be knocked
    together one nail at a time.

And it is amazing to me that the biggest investment most families ever
    make is assembled almost exactly as it was in ~1930. Roof trusses are
    often shipped assembled (to the detriment of attic space) but the rest
    of a house is usually stick built, with work halting for bad weather,
    etc.

I recently read an article about the repeated efforts to improve that
    situation - to do sub-assemblies in factories and ship them to site -
    but apparently it's a difficult problem. Many attempts have failed.

But ideas are always cooking. This looks kind of interesting:
    https://youtu.be/vL2KoMNzGTo?t=1

OK, interesting.

My (small) understanding of reinforced concrete construction from my
    time laying and tying rebar is that they can save a lot of labor and
    steel costs that way.

If it were my house, I'd prefer a CE and an architect rather than a
    software designer.

Designing this system had to have been a huge effort. I'm sure multiple
    CEs were involved.

As you know, I tend toward retro-grouchery. Regarding printed concrete,
    I wonder what happens if they owners later want to remodel.

One engineer friend of mine built his own home on remote country
    property, using a book's "innovative" construction techniques that were purportedly much better than standard methods.

When I visited him years later, he said he'd like to hang the author of
    that book. By then he had done an addition to the original house, but he
    used conventional construction.

Certainly something to the if it isn’t broke don’t fix it with some method of construction, certainly some structures and infrastructure haven’t
    lasted as long as perhaps expected?

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to John B. on Sat Jan 13 09:40:51 2024
    John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:40:22 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

On 12/22/2023 12:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:

One used to be able to order a house kit, to be assembled on site: >>>>>>

The house across the street from mine is one, built or assembled
    some time

Today there are all manner of factory built "modular" houses that
    can be
    installed on site, with a bit of finishing required. Some are really >>>>>> nice buildings, not the stereotypical double-wide.

As I understand it, the Sears houses were kits composed of individual >>>>> 2x4s, etc. Unlike the modular houses, the Sears kids had to be knocked >>>>> together one nail at a time.

And it is amazing to me that the biggest investment most families ever >>>>> make is assembled almost exactly as it was in ~1930. Roof trusses are >>>>> often shipped assembled (to the detriment of attic space) but the rest >>>>> of a house is usually stick built, with work halting for bad weather, >>>>> etc.

I recently read an article about the repeated efforts to improve that >>>>> situation - to do sub-assemblies in factories and ship them to site - >>>>> but apparently it's a difficult problem. Many attempts have failed.

But ideas are always cooking. This looks kind of interesting:
    https://youtu.be/vL2KoMNzGTo?t=1

OK, interesting.

My (small) understanding of reinforced concrete construction from my
    time laying and tying rebar is that they can save a lot of labor and
    steel costs that way.

If it were my house, I'd prefer a CE and an architect rather than a
    software designer.

Designing this system had to have been a huge effort. I'm sure multiple
    CEs were involved.

As you know, I tend toward retro-grouchery. Regarding printed concrete,
    I wonder what happens if they owners later want to remodel.

One engineer friend of mine built his own home on remote country
    property, using a book's "innovative" construction techniques that were
    purportedly much better than standard methods.

When I visited him years later, he said he'd like to hang the author of
    that book. By then he had done an addition to the original house, but he >>> used conventional construction.

Certainly something to the if it isnÂ’t broke donÂ’t fix it with some method >> of construction, certainly some structures and infrastructure havenÂ’t

Roger Merriman

My maternal grandfather's house was built in 17-something, admittedly
    up dated with inside plumbing, electricity and so on over the years
    but still standing today.

Well indeed various buildings still standing local to me in the few to many hundreds of years old. Seems generally that the buildings tend not to structurally fail but it’s often cheaper/fashionable to have a newer
    building and so on.

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Sat Jan 13 11:17:34 2024
    On 1/13/2024 10:59 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
    On 1/13/2024 4:40 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
    On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:40:22 GMT, Roger Merriman
    <roger@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

Certainly something to the if it isnÂ’t broke donÂ’t fix
    it with some method
    of construction...

I think the issue especially with typical U.S. home
    construction is that it seems there ought to be a better
    way. A house is the biggest expense most families take on.
    It's weird that the way it's manufactured hasn't changed
    much in 100+ years. Contrast that to the second biggest
    expense, the automobile. A modern car factory and a car's
    design is nothing like that of a 1923 Model T Ford.

... certainly some structures and infrastructure havenÂ’t

My maternal grandfather's house was built in
    17-something, admittedly
    up dated with inside plumbing, electricity and so on
    over the years

Well indeed various buildings still standing local to me
    in the few to many
    hundreds of years old. Seems generally that the buildings
    tend not to
    structurally fail but it’s often cheaper/fashionable to
    have a newer
    building and so on.

The suburban village I live in has some love for its
    history. There are several historic mansions, many other
    more modest houses have historic plaques, several newer
    buildings were designed to blend with historic architecture,
    etc.

And there are two historic school buildings still in use.
    This past year, for the second time, the school board
    proposed a tax levy to raise money to tear down those
    buildings and build new schools, probably outside the
    village. For only the second time ever (AFAIK) the school
    levy was defeated.

Part of the school board's rationale was that maintenance
    costs would be lower in a new building. But another part was
    that it will be too hard to equip the existing buildings for
    the latest internet technology - probably meaning running
    fiber optic cables (or "light lines," chuckle!) to every
    classroom. But to me that makes no more sense than saying,
    in the 1990s, "We have to remodel so we can play cassette
    tapes in every room!"

Of course, I'm an acknowledged retrogrouch. But I do greatly
    prefer the look of good older architecture. I see no value
    in applying "trendy" looks to something that's intended to
    last for many decades, let alone hundreds of years. "Trendy"
    becomes unfashionably ugly very quickly.

I'm sure improvements may and will be made* (and are
    ongoing; PVC plumbing, multiple layer glass, synthetic
    insulation etc) but the uniquely US typical housing
    construction format:

https://www.cotswold-homes.com/the-balloon-frame-a-new-way-of-home-construction-in-america/

is historically significant to our exceptional rates of home
    ownership. To economists anyway if not to architectural
    critics.

* Fifty years ago, residential steel roofs were
    prohibitively expensive and extremely rare. That's changed
    and I can't praise them enough. At least in snow country.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Sat Jan 13 11:56:32 2024
    On 1/13/2024 11:33 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
    On 1/13/2024 12:17 PM, AMuzi wrote:
    <roger@sarlet.com>
    wrote:
    ;
    Certainly something to the if it isnÂ’t broke donÂ’t
    fix it with some method
    of construction...

way. A house is the biggest expense most families take
    on. It's weird that the way it's manufactured hasn't
    changed much in 100+ years. Contrast that to the second
    biggest expense, the automobile. A modern car factory and
    a car's design is nothing like that of a 1923 Model T Ford.

... certainly some structures and infrastructure
    havenÂ’t
    ;
    17-something, admittedly
    over the years
    ;
    Well indeed various buildings still standing local to
    me in the few to many
    hundreds of years old. Seems generally that the
    buildings tend not to
    structurally fail but it’s often cheaper/fashionable
    to have a newer
    building and so on.

buildings were designed to blend with historic
    architecture, etc.

levy was defeated.

costs would be lower in a new building. But another part
    was that it will be too hard to equip the existing
    buildings for the latest internet technology - probably
    meaning running fiber optic cables (or "light lines,"
    chuckle!) to every classroom. But to me that makes no
    more sense than saying, in the 1990s, "We have to remodel
    so we can play cassette tapes in every room!"

Of course, I'm an acknowledged retrogrouch. But I do
    greatly prefer the look of good older architecture. I see
    no value in applying "trendy" looks to something that's
    intended to last for many decades, let alone hundreds of
    years. "Trendy" becomes unfashionably ugly very quickly.

construction format:

https://www.cotswold-homes.com/the-balloon-frame-a-new-way-of-home-construction-in-america/

is historically significant to our exceptional rates of
    home ownership. To economists anyway if not to
    architectural critics.

Yes, modern framing is better than post and beam, which
    hasn't been used much for homes in the past 100 years. And
    yes, the details are improved. But the fundamentals are
    still at a 1920s level: Bring a bunch of sticks to the job
    site and hammer them together until you've got a wall. Seems
    like there should be better ways.

There are indeed better ways.

Factory built modular homes offer better quality control,
    lower overall cost and faster on-site erection (which
    matters for construction loan terms). Too bad the excessive
    regulation prohibits them in many areas.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Jan 13 13:42:34 2024
    On 1/13/2024 12:36 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 9:17:38 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    John B. <sloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
    <ro...@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

Certainly something to the if it isn’t broke don’t fix
    it with some method
    of construction...

... certainly some structures and infrastructure haven’t

17-something, admittedly
    over the years

in the few to many
    tend not to
    have a newer
    building and so on.

etc.

levy was defeated.

tapes in every room!"

construction format:

critics.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    Around here they always use the excuse that buildings are not earthquake safe. So why do all of the replacements end up with walls of plain glass?

A glass building without a steel frame? Really?
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Sun Jan 14 10:36:02 2024
    wrote:

Certainly something to the if it isnÂ’t broke donÂ’t fix it with some
    method
    of construction...

I think the issue especially with typical U.S. home construction is that
    it seems there ought to be a better way. A house is the biggest expense
    most families take on. It's weird that the way it's manufactured hasn't changed much in 100+ years. Contrast that to the second biggest expense,
    the automobile. A modern car factory and a car's design is nothing like
    that of a 1923 Model T Ford.

... certainly some structures and infrastructure havenÂ’t

My maternal grandfather's house was built in 17-something, admittedly
    up dated with inside plumbing, electricity and so on over the years

Well indeed various buildings still standing local to me in the few
    to many
    hundreds of years old. Seems generally that the buildings tend not to
    structurally fail but it’s often cheaper/fashionable to have a newer
    building and so on.

The suburban village I live in has some love for its history. There are several historic mansions, many other more modest houses have historic plaques, several newer buildings were designed to blend with historic architecture, etc.

And there are two historic school buildings still in use. This past
    year, for the second time, the school board proposed a tax levy to raise money to tear down those buildings and build new schools, probably
    outside the village. For only the second time ever (AFAIK) the school
    levy was defeated.

Part of the school board's rationale was that maintenance costs would be lower in a new building. But another part was that it will be too hard
    to equip the existing buildings for the latest internet technology -
    probably meaning running fiber optic cables (or "light lines," chuckle!)
    to every classroom. But to me that makes no more sense than saying, in
    the 1990s, "We have to remodel so we can play cassette tapes in every room!"

Of course, I'm an acknowledged retrogrouch. But I do greatly prefer the
    look of good older architecture. I see no value in applying "trendy"
    looks to something that's intended to last for many decades, let alone hundreds of years. "Trendy" becomes unfashionably ugly very quickly.

I’m not a retrogrouch but brave new world with both materials/design and
    set up don’t seem to have worked generally or lasted, ie the concrete tower blocks/with handy mugging traps and so on, or simply get so run down.

Built huge flat roofed towers in the Welsh valleys not a area tight on
    space, or with a growing population, the reverse in fact (coal/iron towns)
    they only lasted a few decades combination of being unloved and wet cold weather.

How we use our homes have changed over the years, but some ideas just don’t work and in general folks like homes that are fairly conservative in nature
    ie don’t fix what isn’t broke!

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to John B. on Sun Jan 14 09:47:44 2024
    On 1/13/2024 4:10 PM, John B. wrote:
    On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:42:34 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 9:17:38?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    <ro...@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

it with some method
    of construction...

17-something, admittedly
    over the years

in the few to many
    tend not to
    have a newer
    building and so on.

etc.

levy was defeated.

tapes in every room!"

construction format:

critics.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Steel roofs? Do you mean galvanized roofing? It's been around for
    years and years :-)

Not like the quonset hut material. These are more
    substantial and well coated:

http://www.utahmetalroofs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cl1.jpg

Shed snow well, less degradation from winter/summer
    temperature changes, much lighter than asphalt.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to John B. on Sun Jan 14 19:24:18 2024
    On 1/14/2024 6:53 PM, John B. wrote:
    On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:36:02 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

wrote:

Certainly something to the if it isn?t broke don?t fix it with some
    method
    of construction...

I think the issue especially with typical U.S. home construction is that >>> it seems there ought to be a better way. A house is the biggest expense
    most families take on. It's weird that the way it's manufactured hasn't
    changed much in 100+ years. Contrast that to the second biggest expense, >>> the automobile. A modern car factory and a car's design is nothing like

... certainly some structures and infrastructure haven?t

My maternal grandfather's house was built in 17-something, admittedly >>>>> up dated with inside plumbing, electricity and so on over the years

to many
    structurally fail but it’s often cheaper/fashionable to have a newer >>>> building and so on.

The suburban village I live in has some love for its history. There are
    several historic mansions, many other more modest houses have historic
    plaques, several newer buildings were designed to blend with historic
    architecture, etc.

year, for the second time, the school board proposed a tax levy to raise >>> money to tear down those buildings and build new schools, probably
    levy was defeated.

Part of the school board's rationale was that maintenance costs would be >>> lower in a new building. But another part was that it will be too hard
    probably meaning running fiber optic cables (or "light lines," chuckle!) >>> to every classroom. But to me that makes no more sense than saying, in

looks to something that's intended to last for many decades, let alone
    hundreds of years. "Trendy" becomes unfashionably ugly very quickly.

I’m not a retrogrouch but brave new world with both materials/design and >> set up don’t seem to have worked generally or lasted, ie the concrete tower
    blocks/with handy mugging traps and so on, or simply get so run down.

space, or with a growing population, the reverse in fact (coal/iron towns) >> they only lasted a few decades combination of being unloved and wet cold
    weather.

How we use our homes have changed over the years, but some ideas just don’t
    work and in general folks like homes that are fairly conservative in nature >> ie don’t fix what isn’t broke!

Roger Merriman

Not to argue but how have "the use of homes changed over the years"?

Girlfriend's farmhouse, built around a mid 1830s cabin, got
    electricity in the 1930s and one of the happiest days of her
    life was in 1959 when her father set up indoor plumbing.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joy Beeson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 14 21:18:01 2024
    On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 07:53:52 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
    wrote:

The average kitchen is no longer a major food-preservation facility.

The average housewife no longer expects to prepare a hearty meal for a
    large group several times a year.

Home manufacture of clothing is now a hobby.

--
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at centurylink dot net
    http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pH@21:1/5 to Joy Beeson on Mon Jan 15 04:01:24 2024
    On 2024-01-15, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
    wrote:

I also read in old tomes that there were also community canning kitchens
    where women would gather and can en masse or one could go use if one's home facilities were inadequate, eg: apartment dwellers.

Canning was a normal yearly event in my home growing up.

Easter, Christmas and New Years were the biggies at home.

This has surprised me but is certainly true. We did send our daughters to sewing class at their request but I think it's limited to buttons and the
    like these days.

pH in Aptos

Sewing skills can be used to fix "sew ups" (tubular tires)...there! Bicycle content.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rolf Mantel@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 15 11:34:10 2024
    Am 15.01.2024 um 01:53 schrieb John B.:
    On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:36:02 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

wrote:

Certainly something to the if it isn?t broke don?t fix it with some
    method
    of construction...

I think the issue especially with typical U.S. home construction is that >>> it seems there ought to be a better way. A house is the biggest expense
    most families take on. It's weird that the way it's manufactured hasn't
    changed much in 100+ years. Contrast that to the second biggest expense, >>> the automobile. A modern car factory and a car's design is nothing like

... certainly some structures and infrastructure haven?t

My maternal grandfather's house was built in 17-something, admittedly >>>>> up dated with inside plumbing, electricity and so on over the years

to many
    structurally fail but it’s often cheaper/fashionable to have a newer >>>> building and so on.

The suburban village I live in has some love for its history. There are
    several historic mansions, many other more modest houses have historic
    plaques, several newer buildings were designed to blend with historic
    architecture, etc.

year, for the second time, the school board proposed a tax levy to raise >>> money to tear down those buildings and build new schools, probably
    levy was defeated.

Part of the school board's rationale was that maintenance costs would be >>> lower in a new building. But another part was that it will be too hard
    probably meaning running fiber optic cables (or "light lines," chuckle!) >>> to every classroom. But to me that makes no more sense than saying, in

looks to something that's intended to last for many decades, let alone
    hundreds of years. "Trendy" becomes unfashionably ugly very quickly.

I’m not a retrogrouch but brave new world with both materials/design and >> set up don’t seem to have worked generally or lasted, ie the concrete tower
    blocks/with handy mugging traps and so on, or simply get so run down.

space, or with a growing population, the reverse in fact (coal/iron towns) >> they only lasted a few decades combination of being unloved and wet cold
    weather.

How we use our homes have changed over the years, but some ideas just don’t
    work and in general folks like homes that are fairly conservative in nature >> ie don’t fix what isn’t broke!

In the past, homes had many small rooms, nowadays few large rooms are
    more popular. In the 1970's, the average 'flat space per person' in
    Germany was about half that of today. Half-timbered homes from several centuries ago had few small windos to minimizse heat losss while modern
    homes tend to have large windows to get bright interiors (you can easily
    keep direct sunlight out by other means).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rolf Mantel@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 15 11:28:48 2024
    Am 14.01.2024 um 16:47 schrieb AMuzi:

<ro...@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

it with some method
    of construction...

17-something, admittedly
    over the years

in the few to many
    tend not to
    have a newer
    building and so on.

etc.

levy was defeated.

tapes in every room!"

construction format:

critics.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Not like the quonset hut material. These are more substantial and well coated:

Shed snow well, less degradation from winter/summer temperature changes,
    much lighter than asphalt.

My brother-in-law last year replaced several old asbestos-tile roofs on
    old sheds by those metal roofs (it's easy to put solar collectors on top
    of those) and learned afterwards that they did not comply to the town's
    zoning regulations.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Rolf Mantel on Mon Jan 15 08:43:27 2024
    On 1/15/2024 4:28 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
    On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:42:34 -0600, AMuzi
    <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 9:17:38?AM UTC-8,
    AMuzi wrote:
    <ro...@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

Certainly something to the if it isn’t broke don’t
    fix
    it with some method
    of construction...

way. A house is the biggest expense most families
    take on.
    expense, the automobile. A modern car factory and a
    car's

haven’t

17-something, admittedly
    over the years

Well indeed various buildings still standing local
    to me
    in the few to many
    buildings
    tend not to
    have a newer
    building and so on.

architecture,
    etc.

And there are two historic school buildings still in
    use.
    village. For only the second time ever (AFAIK) the
    school
    levy was defeated.

Part of the school board's rationale was that
    maintenance
    costs would be lower in a new building. But another
    part was
    that it will be too hard to equip the existing
    buildings for
    the latest internet technology - probably meaning
    running
    classroom. But to me that makes no more sense than
    saying,
    in the 1990s, "We have to remodel so we can play
    cassette
    tapes in every room!"

greatly
    prefer the look of good older architecture. I see no
    value
    in applying "trendy" looks to something that's
    intended to
    last for many decades, let alone hundreds of years.
    "Trendy"

construction format:

is historically significant to our exceptional rates
    of home
    critics.

prohibitively expensive and extremely rare. That's
    changed
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Steel roofs? Do you mean galvanized roofing? It's been
    around for

My brother-in-law last year replaced several old
    asbestos-tile roofs on old sheds by those metal roofs (it's
    easy to put solar collectors on top of those) and learned
    afterwards that they did not comply to the town's zoning
    regulations.

"We're from the government. We're here to help you."
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Mon Jan 15 10:07:35 2024
    On 1/15/2024 9:12 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
    On 1/15/2024 5:28 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

My brother-in-law last year replaced several old
    asbestos-tile roofs on old sheds by those metal roofs
    (it's easy to put solar collectors on top of those) and
    learned afterwards that they did not comply to the town's
    zoning regulations.

Where does your brother-in-law live?

Here in the U.S., "Homeowners' Organizations" are a big pain
    for many people. These organizations spring up when a
    developer builds a housing complex or condominium complex,
    especially if the intent is to make it a bit exclusive. HOs
    are notorious for banning things like paint colors outside a
    very limited palette; or unusual shrubbery; or boats on
    their trailers parked on a person's driveway; or even
    clotheslines.

And for Andrew's benefit: Homeowners' Organizations are not
    government-run. They're an example of free enterprise
    restricting freedom.

Back to the modern metal roofs: They do make a house look
    conspicuously different. Some don't like their aesthetics,
    but they seem to work very well.

Yes we agree.
    HOAs are contractual when you buy the property. Anyone who
    doesn't read/investigate that contract first has only
    himself to blame.

Government harassment of property owners is a different
    thing entirely:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2024/01/latest-property-rights-fight-comes-before-justices/

A municipal ticket for not clearing ice and snow from the
    public way on your property has some 'protection of
    citizens' aspect and seems reasonable to me.

Bans on manufactured homes or steel roofs and the like, as
    well as on informal rental (rent a room in your house), bans
    on grease pits in garages (I had one, which was very handy
    but illegal if discovered) and the like just push people to
    the edge.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joy Beeson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 15 20:40:44 2024
    On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:27:03 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
    wrote:

one of the things taught farm girls was
    how to sew, which sort of implies that their mothers couldn't sew.

My mother and older sister supervised my 4-H projects.

--
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at centurylink dot net
    http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to Joy Beeson on Tue Jan 16 13:56:22 2024
    Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
    wrote:

This, plus bath rooms ie baths or walk in showers and so on, let alone
    garages for cars and so on.

My folks place which is few hundred years old, had a garage and so on built
    in the 70’s very few cars would fit now as it’s too narrow!

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zen Cycle@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Jan 16 11:47:08 2024
    On 1/14/2024 10:47 AM, AMuzi wrote:

<ro...@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

it with some method
    of construction...

17-something, admittedly
    over the years

in the few to many
    tend not to
    have a newer
    building and so on.

etc.

levy was defeated.

tapes in every room!"

construction format:

critics.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Not like the quonset hut material. These are more substantial and well coated:

Shed snow well, less degradation from winter/summer temperature changes,
    much lighter than asphalt.

Modern metal roofs have the added benefit of letting heavy snow slide
    off which reduces risk of a collapse by weight, as well as reducing
    long-term damage if holding water (causing rot). One drawback - the snow sliding off can great a hazard for people and cars parked close enough
    to get a large column of heavy went snow avalanching off the roof. We
    have one business here that puts a barrier keeping people and cars away
    from the 'crush' zone.
    --
    Add xx to reply

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Zen Cycle on Tue Jan 16 11:02:00 2024
    On 1/16/2024 10:47 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
    On 1/14/2024 10:47 AM, AMuzi wrote:
    On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:42:34 -0600, AMuzi
    <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 9:17:38?AM UTC-8,
    AMuzi wrote:
    <ro...@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

Certainly something to the if it isn’t broke don’t
    fix
    it with some method
    of construction...

way. A house is the biggest expense most families
    take on.
    expense, the automobile. A modern car factory and a
    car's

haven’t

17-something, admittedly
    over the years

Well indeed various buildings still standing local
    to me
    in the few to many
    buildings
    tend not to
    have a newer
    building and so on.

architecture,
    etc.

And there are two historic school buildings still in
    use.
    village. For only the second time ever (AFAIK) the
    school
    levy was defeated.

Part of the school board's rationale was that
    maintenance
    costs would be lower in a new building. But another
    part was
    that it will be too hard to equip the existing
    buildings for
    the latest internet technology - probably meaning
    running
    classroom. But to me that makes no more sense than
    saying,
    in the 1990s, "We have to remodel so we can play
    cassette
    tapes in every room!"

greatly
    prefer the look of good older architecture. I see no
    value
    in applying "trendy" looks to something that's
    intended to
    last for many decades, let alone hundreds of years.
    "Trendy"

construction format:

is historically significant to our exceptional rates
    of home
    critics.

prohibitively expensive and extremely rare. That's
    changed
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Steel roofs? Do you mean galvanized roofing? It's been
    around for

Modern metal roofs have the added benefit of letting heavy
    snow slide off which reduces risk of a collapse by weight,
    as well as reducing long-term damage if holding water
    (causing rot). One drawback - the snow sliding off can great
    a hazard for people and cars parked close enough to get a
    large column of heavy went snow avalanching off the roof. We
    have one business here that puts a barrier keeping people
    and cars away from the 'crush' zone.

Most if not all I see here have snow breakers near the edge
    (and sometimes higher as well) so it's not one big heavy
    slab sliding off.

2-1/2 minute video with before/after action shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXmWCs-EtM
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05