• FLARM FIRMWARE UPDATE

From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 24 16:25:32 2023
    I have a PowerFlarm Portable that I have been using for the past 5 years. Each year I have updated the firmware as required and it has never been a problem until now. In the past few days I have tried numerous times to update the firmware and each time
    the unit says it cannot find the file on the SD card.

I go to the Flarm website, download the latest firmware on to my laptop and then transfer the file to the SD card, then I put the SD card in the Flarm Portable, power it up, select "Info" and then "Upload". What am I doing wrong?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Fri Mar 24 17:58:38 2023
    On 3/24/23 5:25 PM, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    I have a PowerFlarm Portable that I have been using for the past 5 years. Each year I have updated the firmware as required and it has never been a problem until now. In the past few days I have tried numerous times to update the firmware and each
    time the unit says it cannot find the file on the SD card.

I go to the Flarm website, download the latest firmware on to my laptop and then transfer the file to the SD card, then I put the SD card in the Flarm Portable, power it up, select "Info" and then "Upload". What am I doing wrong?

I think you're trying to use the procedure to update the Flarmnet data
    base with what is used to update the PF firmware.

Just make sure the firmware is at the top level of the SD card, power up
    the unit, and wait a while as the firmware is installed automatically.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 24 18:36:38 2023
    I believe that there can only be one properly named version of the firmware available. Having both last year's version and the current version causes upload problems.

I may be wrong, as I am using last year's brain.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Fri Mar 24 23:45:11 2023
    On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 6:36:40 PM UTC-7, Mark Mocho wrote:
    I believe that there can only be one properly named version of the firmware available. Having both last year's version and the current version causes upload problems.

What confounds me is that I am using the same procedure that I have used successfully for the past 5 years yet this time it is not working. And yes, I did remove the previous version of the firmware from the SD card and then installed the latest version
    (7.20 according to the Flarm website) but no joy.

I also tried doing a factory reset on my Flarm unit but that made no difference. Lastly, I removed the 7.20 version and reinstalled the previous version (7.07) and when I turned on the unit it immediately recognized last year's version (which, according
    to the Flarm website will not work after March 31, 2023). It makes me think that the 7.20 version may have a bug in it or maybe my SD card is corrupted.

Any ideas?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Daly@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Sat Mar 25 03:55:08 2023
    On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 2:45:14 AM UTC-4, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 6:36:40 PM UTC-7, Mark Mocho wrote:

What confounds me is that I am using the same procedure that I have used successfully for the past 5 years yet this time it is not working. And yes, I did remove the previous version of the firmware from the SD card and then installed the latest
    version (7.20 according to the Flarm website) but no joy.

I also tried doing a factory reset on my Flarm unit but that made no difference. Lastly, I removed the 7.20 version and reinstalled the previous version (7.07) and when I turned on the unit it immediately recognized last year's version (which,
    according to the Flarm website will not work after March 31, 2023). It makes me think that the 7.20 version may have a bug in it or maybe my SD card is corrupted.

Any ideas?
    Are you sure you're not using the 7.20 for the Fusion?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 25 15:30:57 2023
    I have had best results with Formatting my SD card 1st, every year, and then load the new firmware, that way there is nothing else on the SD card.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Nicholas Kennedy on Sat Mar 25 16:45:22 2023
    I just updated mine.

I keep an SD card in a desk drawer at the airport and I downloaded the
    .fw file to the hard drive, moved it to the SD card, and changed the unbelievably long name to simply, Flarm_7.20.fw. I inserted the SD card
    into my PF Portable and turned it on. After it was up, I pressed the
    knob, turned it until I got to Info, selected that and then Update.

The unit loaded the firmware and restarted. Just to be sure, I powered
    it down and then up and it came up with v.7.20.

Dan
    5J

On 3/25/23 16:30, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
    I have had best results with Formatting my SD card 1st, every year, and then load the new firmware, that way there is nothing else on the SD card.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Mar 25 17:07:23 2023
    On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 3:45:28 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I just updated mine.

.fw file to the hard drive, moved it to the SD card, and changed the unbelievably long name to simply, Flarm_7.20.fw. I inserted the SD card

Dan
    5J
    Nick
    T

Dan, I think you may have solved my problem. I won't know for sure until Monday when I can get back to the glider and try again.

I went back to the Flarm website, download firmware and as I scrolled down, I came to this:

"PowerFLARM Core and PowerFLARM Portable
    Download Firmware version 7.20
    Release Notes"

It clearly says "PowerFLARM Portable" which is what I have so that is what I downloaded. However, since your note I went back to the Flarm website and scrolled down further to see this:

Classic FLARM & Classic FLARM-based OEM devices
    FOR F4-F9, TRX-1500, TRX-2000, FLARMMOUSE, LX8000/9000 SERIES WITH CLASSIC FLARM, LX5000, LX RED BOX, LX MINI BOX/MOBILE, ECW100, FLYTEC
    DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE VERSION 7.09 FOR DEVICES WITH AN SD-CARD SLOT

I've now downloaded 7.09 to my SD card and I think this will work. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Sun Mar 26 10:07:23 2023
    Well, I hope it helped but, if you have a PowerFlarm portable, that's
    what you should use. Isn't the "Classic" Flarm used in Europe and
    "Power" Flarm used in the USA? (Assuming you're in the US.)

Dan
    5J

On 3/25/23 18:07, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    I just updated mine.

.fw file to the hard drive, moved it to the SD card, and changed the
    unbelievably long name to simply, Flarm_7.20.fw. I inserted the SD card

Dan
    5J
    Nick
    T

Dan, I think you may have solved my problem. I won't know for sure until Monday when I can get back to the glider and try again.

I went back to the Flarm website, download firmware and as I scrolled down, I came to this:

Release Notes"

It clearly says "PowerFLARM Portable" which is what I have so that is what I downloaded. However, since your note I went back to the Flarm website and scrolled down further to see this:

FOR F4-F9, TRX-1500, TRX-2000, FLARMMOUSE, LX8000/9000 SERIES WITH CLASSIC FLARM, LX5000, LX RED BOX, LX MINI BOX/MOBILE, ECW100, FLYTEC

I've now downloaded 7.09 to my SD card and I think this will work. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Mar 26 12:55:16 2023
    On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 9:07:28 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J
    I just updated mine.

.fw file to the hard drive, moved it to the SD card, and changed the
    unbelievably long name to simply, Flarm_7.20.fw. I inserted the SD card >> into my PF Portable and turned it on. After it was up, I pressed the

Dan
    5J
    Nick
    T

Release Notes"

Dan, I am in the US (Reno, Nevada, Region 11). There has been NO glider flying here this year because of the weather...we are getting rain and/or snow every few days and the temps have been 20° below average. Some fun (not). JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Sun Mar 26 14:33:18 2023
    Here, too, at Moriarty, NM. Snow and cold every day, but the buds on
    the trees are swelling and it'll be soaring time again soon.

Dan
    5J

On 3/26/23 13:55, miltonpilot JLH wrote:

Dan
    5J
    I just updated mine.

I keep an SD card in a desk drawer at the airport and I downloaded the >>>> .fw file to the hard drive, moved it to the SD card, and changed the
    unbelievably long name to simply, Flarm_7.20.fw. I inserted the SD card >>>> into my PF Portable and turned it on. After it was up, I pressed the

The unit loaded the firmware and restarted. Just to be sure, I powered >>>> it down and then up and it came up with v.7.20.

Dan
    5J
    Nick
    T

Release Notes"

Dan, I am in the US (Reno, Nevada, Region 11). There has been NO glider flying here this year because of the weather...we are getting rain and/or snow every few days and the temps have been 20° below average. Some fun (not). JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Mar 26 21:50:43 2023
    If you have powerflarm core or portable, The correct file is the powerflarm core/portable, NOT the classic, this will not work.
    There is another file for Fusion.

Ramy

On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 1:33:22 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J

Dan
    5J
    On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 3:45:28 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote: >>>> I just updated mine.

I keep an SD card in a desk drawer at the airport and I downloaded the >>>> .fw file to the hard drive, moved it to the SD card, and changed the >>>> unbelievably long name to simply, Flarm_7.20.fw. I inserted the SD card >>>> into my PF Portable and turned it on. After it was up, I pressed the >>>> knob, turned it until I got to Info, selected that and then Update. >>>>
    The unit loaded the firmware and restarted. Just to be sure, I powered >>>> it down and then up and it came up with v.7.20.

Dan
    5J
    Nick
    T

Release Notes"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Ramy on Mon Mar 27 18:55:49 2023
    On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 9:50:45 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
    If you have powerflarm core or portable, The correct file is the powerflarm core/portable, NOT the classic, this will not work.
    There is another file for Fusion.

Ramy
    On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 1:33:22 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J
    Well, I hope it helped but, if you have a PowerFlarm portable, that's >> what you should use. Isn't the "Classic" Flarm used in Europe and

Dan
    5J
    On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 3:45:28 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote: >>>> I just updated mine.

.fw file to the hard drive, moved it to the SD card, and changed the >>>> unbelievably long name to simply, Flarm_7.20.fw. I inserted the SD card
    into my PF Portable and turned it on. After it was up, I pressed the >>>> knob, turned it until I got to Info, selected that and then Update. >>>>

Dan
    5J
    Nick
    T

Release Notes"

3/27/23: Today I finally got my PowerFlarm Portable firmware to update to version 7.20 (the 7.20 version from the Flarm website that says for '"PowerFLARM Core and PowerFLARM Portable"). I won't go into all the ways I tried to make this work before
    today but for those interested, here is the step by step way that I got it to work: 1. Download version 7.20 from the part of the Flarm website that says "PowerFLARM Core and PowerFLARM Portable" to my laptop. 2. Take the micro SD card out of my
    PowerFlarm Portable and plug it into my laptop. 3. Format the micro SD card. 4. Transfer the 7.20 file from my laptop to the micro SD card (now the ONLY thing on the micro SD card is the 7.20 file). Next, and IMPORTANTLY, I had saved a backup of
    everything on the micro SD card from last year. 5. Transfer the following files from the backup to the micro SD card: FLARMCFG.TX, FLARMDEV.CSV, PFP00883.DMP, PFP00883.TXT . Now, including the version 7.20 firmware file, there are 5 files on the
    micro SD card. 6. Take the micro SD card out of the laptop and put it back in the PowerFlarm Portable. 7. Power up the Flarm. 8. Select "INFO" and then select "UPLOAD". That should do it, at least it did for me. JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 27 22:23:39 2023
    T24gMy8yNy8yMDIzIDk6NTUgUE0sIG1pbHRvbnBpbG90IEpMSCB3cm90ZToNCj4gDQo+IDMv MjcvMjM6ICBUb2RheSBJIGZpbmFsbHkgZ290IG15IFBvd2VyRmxhcm0gUG9ydGFibGUgZmly bXdhcmUgdG8gdXBkYXRlIHRvIHZlcnNpb24gNy4yMCAodGhlIDcuMjAgdmVyc2lvbiBmcm9t IHRoZSBGbGFybSB3ZWJzaXRlIHRoYXQgc2F5cyBmb3IgJyJQb3dlckZMQVJNIENvcmUgYW5k IFBvd2VyRkxBUk0gUG9ydGFibGUiKS4gIEkgd29uJ3QgZ28gaW50byBhbGwgdGhlIHdheXMg SSB0cmllZCB0byBtYWtlIHRoaXMgd29yayBiZWZvcmUgdG9kYXkgYnV0IGZvciB0aG9zZSBp bnRlcmVzdGVkLCBoZXJlIGlzIHRoZSBzdGVwIGJ5IHN0ZXAgd2F5IHRoYXQgSSBnb3QgaXQg dG8gd29yazogIDEuICBEb3dubG9hZCB2ZXJzaW9uIDcuMjAgZnJvbSB0aGUgcGFydCBvZiB0 aGUgRmxhcm0gd2Vic2l0ZSB0aGF0IHNheXMgIlBvd2VyRkxBUk0gQ29yZSBhbmQgUG93ZXJG TEFSTSBQb3J0YWJsZSIgdG8gbXkgbGFwdG9wLiAgMi4gVGFrZSB0aGUgbWljcm8gU0QgY2Fy ZCBvdXQgb2YgbXkgUG93ZXJGbGFybSBQb3J0YWJsZSBhbmQgcGx1ZyBpdCBpbnRvIG15IGxh cHRvcC4gIDMuIEZvcm1hdCB0aGUgbWljcm8gU0QgY2FyZC4gIDQuICBUcmFuc2ZlciB0aGUg Ny4yMCBmaWxlIGZyb20gbXkgbGFwdG9wIHRvIHRoZSBtaWNybyBTRCBjYXJkIChub3cgdGhl IE9OTFkgIHRoaW5nIG9uIHRoZSBtaWNybyBTRCBjYXJkIGlzIHRoZSA3LjIwIGZpbGUpLiAg TmV4dCwgYW5kIElNUE9SVEFOVExZLCBJIGhhZCBzYXZlZCBhIGJhY2t1cCBvZiBldmVyeXRo aW5nIG9uIHRoZSBtaWNybyBTRCBjYXJkIGZyb20gbGFzdCB5ZWFyLiAgNS4gVHJhbnNmZXIg dGhlIGZvbGxvd2luZyBmaWxlcyBmcm9tIHRoZSBiYWNrdXAgdG8gdGhlIG1pY3JvIFNEIGNh cmQ6ICBGTEFSTUNGRy5UWCwgIEZMQVJNREVWLkNTViwgIFBGUDAwODgzLkRNUCwgIFBGUDAw ODgzLlRYVCAuICAgTm93LCBpbmNsdWRpbmcgdGhlIHZlcnNpb24gNy4yMCBmaXJtd2FyZSBm aWxlLCB0aGVyZSBhcmUgNSBmaWxlcyBvbiB0aGUgbWljcm8gU0QgY2FyZC4gIDYuICBUYWtl IHRoZSBtaWNybyBTRCBjYXJkIG91dCBvZiB0aGUgbGFwdG9wIGFuZCBwdXQgaXQgYmFjayBp biB0aGUgUG93ZXJGbGFybSBQb3J0YWJsZS4gIDcuICBQb3dlciB1cCB0aGUgRmxhcm0uICA4 LiAgU2VsZWN0ICJJTkZPIiBhbmQgdGhlbiBzZWxlY3QgIlVQTE9BRCIuICAgVGhhdCBzaG91 bGQgZG8gaXQsIGF0IGxlYXN0IGl0IGRpZCBmb3IgbWUuICBKTEgvSDQNCj4gDQoNCkkgdGhp bmsgeW91IG1lYW50IElORk8gLyBVUERBVEUgKHJhdGhlciB0aGFuIFVQTE9BRCk/DQoNClRo ZSBGTEFSTUNGRy5UWFQgZmlsZSBob2xkcyB5b3VyIEZMQVJNIGNvbmZpZ3VyYXRpb24sIGZv ciBleGFtcGxlIHlvdXIgDQphaXJjcmFmdCB0eXBlIGFuZCBJQ0FPIElELiAgVGhlIEZMQVJN IGF1dG9tYXRpY2FsbHkgbG9hZHMgdGhlIA0KY29uZmlndXJhdGlvbiBmcm9tIHRoZSBjYXJk IChtZW51cyBub3QgaW52b2x2ZWQpLiAgSWYgeW91IGRvbid0IHB1dCB0aGlzIA0KZmlsZSBv biB0aGUgY2FyZCB0aGVuIHRoZSBGTEFSTSB3aWxsIGtlZXAgaXRzIGN1cnJlbnQgY29uZmln dXJhdGlvbiwgDQp3aGljaCBpcyBwcm9iYWJseSBPSy4NCg0KV2hlbiBJIGRvIHRoZSBhbm51 YWwgZmlybXdhcmUgdXBkYXRlIEkgdXN1YWxseSBwdXQgYSBjb25maWcgZmlsZSBvbiB0aGUg DQpjYXJkIHRoYXQgb25seSBpbmNsdWRlcyB0aGlzIG9uZSBsaW5lOg0KUEZMQUMsUyxDTEVB UkxPR1MNClRoYXQgaXMgdG8gY2xlYXIgdGhlIG9sZCBmbGlnaHQgbG9ncyBmcm9tIHRoZSBG TEFSTSdzIGludGVybmFsIG1lbW9yeS4gDQpZb3Ugc2hvdWxkIGFsc28gY2xlYXIgdGhlbSBm cm9tIHRoZSBTRCBjYXJkLiAgU3RhcnQgZnJlc2ggd2l0aCBwbGVudHkgb2YgDQpyb29tIGFu ZCBsZXNzIGNvbmZ1c2lvbiBhYm91dCB3aGljaCBmbGlnaHQgbG9nIGlzIHdoaWNoLiAgV2l0 aCB0aGlzIG1pbmkgDQpjb25maWcgZmlsZSB0aGUgb3RoZXIgc2V0dGluZ3MgYXJlIGtlcHQg YXMtaXMuICBPZiBjb3Vyc2UgeW91IGRvbid0IHdhbnQgDQp0aGUgY2xlYXJpbmcgb2YgYWxs IGZsaWdodCBsb2dzIHRvIGhhcHBlbiBldmVyeSB0aW1lIHlvdSBzdGFydCB1cCB0aGUgDQpG TEFSTS4gIEZvciB0aGF0IHJlYXNvbiBJIHVzZSBhIGRpZmZlcmVudCBTRCBjYXJkIGZvciB1 cGRhdGVzIHRoYW4gZm9yIA0Kbm9ybWFsIG9wZXJhdGlvbi4NCg0KVGhlIG90aGVyIGZpbGVz IHlvdSBtZW50aW9uZWQgYXJlIG5vdCBuZWVkZWQsIEFGQUlLLg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Mon Mar 27 19:42:15 2023
    On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 7:23:45 PM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
    On 3/27/2023 9:55 PM, miltonpilot JLH wrote:

3/27/23: Today I finally got my PowerFlarm Portable firmware to update to version 7.20 (the 7.20 version from the Flarm website that says for '"PowerFLARM Core and PowerFLARM Portable"). I won't go into all the ways I tried to make this work before
    today but for those interested, here is the step by step way that I got it to work: 1. Download version 7.20 from the part of the Flarm website that says "PowerFLARM Core and PowerFLARM Portable" to my laptop. 2. Take the micro SD card out of my
    PowerFlarm Portable and plug it into my laptop. 3. Format the micro SD card. 4. Transfer the 7.20 file from my laptop to the micro SD card (now the ONLY thing on the micro SD card is the 7.20 file). Next, and IMPORTANTLY, I had saved a backup of
    everything on the micro SD card from last year. 5. Transfer the following files from the backup to the micro SD card: FLARMCFG.TX, FLARMDEV.CSV, PFP00883.DMP, PFP00883.TXT . Now, including the version 7.20 firmware file, there are 5 files on the micro SD
    card. 6. Take the micro SD card out of the laptop and put it back in the PowerFlarm Portable. 7. Power up the Flarm. 8. Select "INFO" and then select "UPLOAD". That should do it, at least it did for me. JLH/H4

I think you meant INFO / UPDATE (rather than UPLOAD)?

The FLARMCFG.TXT file holds your FLARM configuration, for example your aircraft type and ICAO ID. The FLARM automatically loads the
    configuration from the card (menus not involved). If you don't put this
    file on the card then the FLARM will keep its current configuration,
    which is probably OK.

When I do the annual firmware update I usually put a config file on the
    card that only includes this one line:
    PFLAC,S,CLEARLOGS
    That is to clear the old flight logs from the FLARM's internal memory.
    You should also clear them from the SD card. Start fresh with plenty of
    room and less confusion about which flight log is which. With this mini config file the other settings are kept as-is. Of course you don't want
    the clearing of all flight logs to happen every time you start up the
    FLARM. For that reason I use a different SD card for updates than for
    normal operation.

The other files you mentioned are not needed, AFAIK.

Moshe, you are correct...I meant INFO / UPDATE. As far as the other files go, I tried the update without those 4 files and it would not work but it did work once I added those 4 files. Only the Shadow knows... :). JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Tue Mar 28 08:42:29 2023
    I only put the SD card in the PF Portable once per year; to update the firmware. Also, I don't clean up the SD card; I just add the latest
    firmware file to it.

So, will the PF overwrite old flight logs when/if it fills up? I don't
    use it for downloading flights. I use my ClearNav for that.

Dan
    5J

On 3/27/23 20:23, Moshe Braner wrote:
    On 3/27/2023 9:55 PM, miltonpilot JLH wrote:

3/27/23:  Today I finally got my PowerFlarm Portable firmware to
    update to version 7.20 (the 7.20 version from the Flarm website that
    says for '"PowerFLARM Core and PowerFLARM Portable").  I won't go into
    all the ways I tried to make this work before today but for those
    interested, here is the step by step way that I got it to work:  1.
    Download version 7.20 from the part of the Flarm website that says
    "PowerFLARM Core and PowerFLARM Portable" to my laptop.  2. Take the
    micro SD card out of my PowerFlarm Portable and plug it into my
    laptop.  3. Format the micro SD card.  4.  Transfer the 7.20 file from
    my laptop to the micro SD card (now the ONLY  thing on the micro SD
    card is the 7.20 file).  Next, and IMPORTANTLY, I had saved a backup
    of everything on the micro SD card from last year.  5. Transfer the
    following files from the backup to the micro SD card:  FLARMCFG.TX,
    FLARMDEV.CSV,  PFP00883.DMP,  PFP00883.TXT .   Now, including the
    version 7.20 firmware file, there are 5 files on the micro SD card.
    6.  Take the micro SD card out of the laptop and put it back in the
    PowerFlarm Portable.  7.  Power up the Flarm.  8.  Select "INFO" and
    then select "UPLOAD".   That should do it, at least it did for me.
    JLH/H4

I think you meant INFO / UPDATE (rather than UPLOAD)?

The FLARMCFG.TXT file holds your FLARM configuration, for example your aircraft type and ICAO ID.  The FLARM automatically loads the
    configuration from the card (menus not involved).  If you don't put this file on the card then the FLARM will keep its current configuration,
    which is probably OK.

When I do the annual firmware update I usually put a config file on the
    card that only includes this one line:
    PFLAC,S,CLEARLOGS
    That is to clear the old flight logs from the FLARM's internal memory.
    You should also clear them from the SD card.  Start fresh with plenty of room and less confusion about which flight log is which.  With this mini config file the other settings are kept as-is.  Of course you don't want
    the clearing of all flight logs to happen every time you start up the FLARM.  For that reason I use a different SD card for updates than for normal operation.

The other files you mentioned are not needed, AFAIK.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Mar 28 12:15:00 2023
    On 3/28/2023 10:42 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I only put the SD card in the PF Portable once per year; to update the firmware.  Also, I don't clean up the SD card; I just add the latest firmware file to it.

So, will the PF overwrite old flight logs when/if it fills up?  I don't
    use it for downloading flights.  I use my ClearNav for that.

Adding a firmware update file to an SD card that already has an older
    such file on it is not a good idea. Maybe the FLARM knows how to choose
    the latest, maybe not. I make sure only one such file is there.

You can't download flight logs from the Portable PowerFLARM (at least)
    without an SD card in the slot, and without first asking it (via menu
    INFO / IGC readout) to copy the logs from internal memory to the card.
    After that you can take the SD card out and get the flight logs from it,
    or download flight logs via a serial cable using a connected app (such
    as XCsoar/Tophat). I use the FLARM as my IGC certified flight recorder,
    and pre-declare tasks within it (so they will appear in the flight logs)
    by entering the task in Tophat and then tapping the button in Tophat
    that tells it to send the task to the FLARM. If you only want the
    flight logs created by your Clearnav independently of the FLARM, you can
    ignore all of that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Daly@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Mar 28 11:38:29 2023
    On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 10:42:34 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I only put the SD card in the PF Portable once per year; to update the firmware. Also, I don't clean up the SD card; I just add the latest
    firmware file to it.

Dan
    5J

Dan - from p36 of the PowerFLARM Portable manual v3.41: "PowerFLARM has internal memory for around 100 hours of flight recording at a 4s interval. Flight recording automatically starts when the aircraft starts moving and ends when PowerFLARM is switched
    OFF or after more than 10 minutes of standstill. When
    the memory is full, the oldest flights are overwritten first."
    Dan
    2D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Dan Daly on Tue Mar 28 15:43:23 2023
    😃😃

Dan
    5J

On 3/28/23 12:38, Dan Daly wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 10:42:34 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I only put the SD card in the PF Portable once per year; to update the
    firmware. Also, I don't clean up the SD card; I just add the latest
    firmware file to it.

Dan
    5J

Dan - from p36 of the PowerFLARM Portable manual v3.41: "PowerFLARM has internal memory for around 100 hours of flight recording at a 4s interval. Flight recording automatically starts when the aircraft starts moving and ends when PowerFLARM is
    switched OFF or after more than 10 minutes of standstill. When
    the memory is full, the oldest flights are overwritten first."
    Dan
    2D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Tue Mar 28 15:41:02 2023
    Thanks. Everything you said, I can do via the menus of the ClearNav. I
    would guess that the PF Portable detects the creation date of the
    firmware file so there's no problem with that. And, as I said earlier
    (I think), I pull out the SD card after updating the firmware.

Dan
    5J

On 3/28/23 10:15, Moshe Braner wrote:
    On 3/28/2023 10:42 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I only put the SD card in the PF Portable once per year; to update the
    firmware.  Also, I don't clean up the SD card; I just add the latest
    firmware file to it.

So, will the PF overwrite old flight logs when/if it fills up?  I
    don't use it for downloading flights.  I use my ClearNav for that.

Adding a firmware update file to an SD card that already has an older
    such file on it is not a good idea.  Maybe the FLARM knows how to choose
    the latest, maybe not.  I make sure only one such file is there.

You can't download flight logs from the Portable PowerFLARM (at least) without an SD card in the slot, and without first asking it (via menu
    INFO / IGC readout) to copy the logs from internal memory to the card.
    After that you can take the SD card out and get the flight logs from it,
    or download flight logs via a serial cable using a connected app (such
    as XCsoar/Tophat).  I use the FLARM as my IGC certified flight recorder,
    and pre-declare tasks within it (so they will appear in the flight logs)
    by entering the task in Tophat and then tapping the button in Tophat
    that tells it to send the task to the FLARM.  If you only want the
    flight logs created by your Clearnav independently of the FLARM, you can ignore all of that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05