• DG-808J self launch motorglider

From Bob Carlton@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 5 15:03:48 2022
    Hello fellow aviators,

Desert Aerospace is pleased to announce the first DG-808J motorglider powered by twin PBS TJ40 engines. It is a blast to fly. Here is a link to more information:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7m3j9tz85ga0w8/DG%20808J%20report.pdf?dl=0

The second DG is in the shop now for conversion.

Also of note...as of a few days ago, we finally won a decade-long battle with the FAA. Pilots of turbine self-launch motorgliders no longer require any special authorization. It's been a long fight and we had to play hard ball to get them to understand
    their own rules, but we finally got it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Mon Dec 5 18:47:33 2022
    On 12/5/2022 6:03 PM, Bob Carlton wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

Desert Aerospace is pleased to announce the first DG-808J motorglider powered by twin PBS TJ40 engines. It is a blast to fly. Here is a link to more information:

Also of note...as of a few days ago, we finally won a decade-long battle with the FAA. Pilots of turbine self-launch motorgliders no longer require any special authorization. It's been a long fight and we had to play hard ball to get them to understand

Congratulations! Looks nice.
    Why two motors this time??

PS: My presentation wasn't so much about safety as reliability. They're
    only unsafe when you trust it, and don't always fly to be safe when it
    fails...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to d...@nadler.com on Mon Dec 5 22:19:14 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 3:47:38 PM UTC-8, d...@nadler.com wrote:
    On 12/5/2022 6:03 PM, Bob Carlton wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

Also of note...as of a few days ago, we finally won a decade-long battle with the FAA. Pilots of turbine self-launch motorgliders no longer require any special authorization. It's been a long fight and we had to play hard ball to get them to
    understand their own rules, but we finally got it.
    Congratulations! Looks nice.

PS: My presentation wasn't so much about safety as reliability. They're
    only unsafe when you trust it, and don't always fly to be safe when it fails...

Don't get too excited - Bob clearly states that this ISN'T a motorglider, but a motorized airshow glider. There is a BIG difference.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 03:20:13 2022
    Don't get too excited - Bob clearly states that this ISN'T a motorglider, but a motorized airshow glider. There is a BIG difference.

Incorrect. The Salto with the TJ-100 is solely an airshow glider. The DG-808J does everything that the piston/propeller DG-808C does, but uses a pair of turbines to self-launch, retract and then proceed as a sailplane. Just like a Schleicher or Schempp-
    Hirth motorglider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Dec 6 04:23:21 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 6:20:15 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Incorrect. The Salto with the TJ-100 is solely an airshow glider. The DG-808J does everything that the piston/propeller DG-808C does, but uses a pair of turbines to self-launch, retract and then proceed as a sailplane. Just like a Schleicher or Schempp-
    Hirth motorglider.

Why don't you motorglider guys just call them Non-Binary gliders? Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 05:44:19 2022

The TJ40 is rated at 40 DaN (89 lbs.) of thrust. That is insufficient for self-launching. Two engines are enough even at high altitude airfields on hot days with water ballast.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Tue Dec 6 06:46:43 2022
    On 12/5/2022 3:03 PM, Bob Carlton wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

Congratulations, and thank you for your perseverance. It's another stepping stone to
    keeping glider requirements "real" - connected to the actual situation.

Your article was interesting and informative, but I have to offer an important correction
    to a statement in it:

"What other group of aviators (or any other sport) suggests that a post-flight inspection
    after every flight is critical to find things that broke? I’ve seen broken mounting bolts,
    broken case bolts, stripped drive belts, and numerous other vibration/stress-induced
    failures. These are way too common."

I think you were referring to piston powered self-launchers, but you didn't explicitly
    state that. I think it's important to note that Schleicher Wankel powered self-launchers
    do not require a post-flight inspection, and none of the owners do one, because it is a
    very smooth running engine that does not cause things to unscrew, strip, crack, break, or
    fall off like most of the two stroke engines used in the other gliders.

It is also worthwhile noting that, in addition to the Wankel powered gliders, that there
    are hundreds of self-launchers that are also vibration free: electric powered sailplanes.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 06:41:20 2022
    But why not the same single engine as used on some of the other
    projects? Too big?

Definitely too big. The TJ100 is 10.5 inches in diameter and about 22 inches long. While that would fit inside the fuselage (assuming the engine bay door opening is wide enough), there is virtually no room for the extraction mechanism. Also, since it has
    an oil tank and recirculating oil system, it must rest horizontally in the engine bay. With a two-seat glider like the Arcus, this is not a problem, but a single seater is just a bit too small. Also, the price on the TJ100 is over twice as much as a PAIR
    of the TJ40s.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Dec 6 09:18:21 2022
    On 12/6/2022 8:44 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:

The TJ40 is rated at 40 DaN (89 lbs.) of thrust. That is insufficient for self-launching.
    Two engines are enough even at high altitude airfields on hot days with water ballast.

projects? Too big?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Dec 6 07:54:59 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 7:46:50 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

Also of note...as of a few days ago, we finally won a decade-long battle with the FAA. Pilots of turbine self-launch motorgliders no longer require any special authorization. It's been a long fight and we had to play hard ball to get them to
    Congratulations, and thank you for your perseverance. It's another stepping stone to

Your article was interesting and informative, but I have to offer an important correction
    to a statement in it:

"What other group of aviators (or any other sport) suggests that a post-flight inspection
    after every flight is critical to find things that broke? I’ve seen broken mounting bolts,
    broken case bolts, stripped drive belts, and numerous other vibration/stress-induced

I think you were referring to piston powered self-launchers, but you didn't explicitly
    state that. I think it's important to note that Schleicher Wankel powered self-launchers
    do not require a post-flight inspection, and none of the owners do one, because it is a
    very smooth running engine that does not cause things to unscrew, strip, crack, break, or

It is also worthwhile noting that, in addition to the Wankel powered gliders, that there
    are hundreds of self-launchers that are also vibration free: electric powered sailplanes.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Congratulations to Bob & Mark on another successful build!
    That 19 gal/hr fuel burn is alot
    I know jet engines drink fuel at low altitudes.
    Thats alot of jerry cans.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 08:37:31 2022
    hundreds of self-launchers that are also vibration free: electric powered sailplanes.

I am aware of only two types of electric self-launchers: the Pipistrel Taurus Electro and the Alisport Silent Electro. There are also the "Birdy" and the GP Jeta, but neither seems to be in actual production.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 08:42:21 2022
    Congratulations to Bob & Mark on another successful build!

Nick- I can't take much credit for the DG-808J. The engineering and construction were done by Bob Carllton, Min Tang and Grayson Hardy of Desert Aerospace.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Dec 6 08:34:35 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 6:46:50 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

to a statement in it:

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    It's an impressive achievement, though perhaps there is a little hyperbole in the description. In addition to the Wankel not falling apart after every flight, the statement "..but suffice to say, it will outperform any other motorglider..." does not seem
    to be true, based on the stated numbers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Dec 6 09:34:12 2022
    On 12/6/2022 8:37 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:
    hundreds of self-launchers that are also vibration free: electric powered sailplanes.

I am aware of only two types of electric self-launchers: the Pipistrel Taurus Electro and the Alisport Silent Electro. There are also the "Birdy" and the GP Jeta, but neither seems to be in actual production.

The MiniLAK, Ventus 3 FES, and many other FES gliders (which includes the Silent Electro)
    can self-launch. The newer mast style designs, like the AS34 and JS3RES are all self-launchers. There are still Antares gliders flying (I think nearly 100 were produced),
    and let's not forget the ones added to the fleet by people like Hank Nixon. It all adds up
    to "hundreds".

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Dec 6 09:27:07 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 11:37:47 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Production?
    Well.....one off, "UH's" ASW-24e converted from gas to electric. I have about 100 flight hours in 2022 in it.
    It has been self launched (I haven't done that yet) and I have done "saves" to altitude (testing and real) as well as self retrieve.
    I have traces on Skylines if you want to see. I can tell you the flights. A real save and self retrieve were both at Newcastle this year.

As to this thread, guessing my old IPad OS and browser won't let me open the link.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 09:35:50 2022
    Congratulations Team Desert Aerospace. Perhaps another ‘ Chairman Award’ along with others will be coming recognizing the Team achievements. Can’t help but think of Elon Musk and his drive to Achieve. Bob, Desert Aerospace’s History continues.

Jet powered gliders certainly have a place in aviation and records have shown that the pilot, not the engine, is by far the weakest link. I have the greatest confidence in my Astra engine (ASH-31) and do not adhere to Nadler’s ‘fly with fear’
    philosophy and believe more emphasis should be on pilot’s preparedness, procedures, and high maintenance standards. Then …. fly with confidence.

I always post-flight my engines, wipe off the bugs, kiss them good night, a pat on their mufflers.
    Yin and Yang,,,,,,,works for me.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 11:02:50 2022
    What is the cost of the conversion?

I don't know.

Contact Bob at Desert Aerospace for more information.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Tue Dec 6 10:50:00 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-5, Bob Carlton wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

What is the cost of the conversion?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 11:07:31 2022
    Schleicher Wankel powered self-launchers

Really? You might ask Keith Essex about that. This summer, I helped him remove his ASH-32 Mi engine to attempt to replace three broken case studs. We got two out, but the third was rather uncooperative. The engine had to go to Rex Mayes at Williams
    Soaring for a more extensive teardown.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Dec 6 14:42:47 2022
    On 12/6/2022 11:37 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:
    I am aware of only two types of electric self-launchers:
    the Pipistrel Taurus Electro and the Alisport Silent Electro.
    There are also the "Birdy" and the GP Jeta, but neither seems to be in actual production.

There were maybe 75 electric-powered Antares built.
    I flew mine ~1400 hours, but some hints on why I disposed of it: https://nadler.com/public/2020_AlmostSoaringReport/2020_DavesAlmostSoaringReport.html

And yes, this one got post-flight inspections...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Squeaky Squeaky@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Tue Dec 6 11:26:39 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 5:03:51 PM UTC-6, Bob Carlton wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

Very nice, I added your DG-808J motorglider to my book, "Mary, Monkey, Sun, Tree and Penis Whoreshippers, Part A."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Dec 6 11:43:33 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 11:07:33 AM UTC-8, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Schleicher Wankel powered self-launchers
    fall off like most of the two stroke engines used in the other gliders. Really? You might ask Keith Essex about that. This summer, I helped him remove his ASH-32 Mi engine to attempt to replace three broken case studs. We got two out, but the third was rather uncooperative. The engine had to go to Rex Mayes at Williams
    Soaring for a more extensive teardown.
    You really cannot condemn all of the Austro Wankels on that basis. A limited range of serial numbers was built with improperly heat treated bolts. There is no evidence that engines outside of that range, or those engines - once the correct bolts are
    installed - have any problems. I know of no operational failures as a result of the broken bolts, they were observed on normal inspections. The engines have their own set of problems, but vibration induced failure isn't generically among them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Craig Reinholt@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 12:12:47 2022
    The MiniLAK, Ventus 3 FES, and many other FES gliders (which includes the Silent Electro)
    can self-launch. The newer mast style designs, like the AS34 and JS3RES are all
    self-launchers. There are still Antares gliders flying (I think nearly 100 were produced),
    and let's not forget the ones added to the fleet by people like Hank Nixon. It all adds up
    to "hundreds".
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

On a bit of a tangent.
    I wonder if we should term a glider "self launch" only if it can launch ballasted at full gross weight at an airport @ 1500' (pick a reasonable altitude other than sea level) above sea level at a reasonable climb rate?
    Can some of the FES systems get in the air on their own steam minus ballast? Yes of course. However, maybe we call those systems "strong sustainers"? Something to ponder.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to n5...@comcast.net on Tue Dec 6 13:17:57 2022
    On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 6:12:49 AM UTC+10, n5...@comcast.net wrote:
    self-launchers. There are still Antares gliders flying (I think nearly 100 were produced),
    to "hundreds".
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    On a bit of a tangent.
    I wonder if we should term a glider "self launch" only if it can launch ballasted at full gross weight at an airport @ 1500' (pick a reasonable altitude other than sea level) above sea level at a reasonable climb rate?
    Can some of the FES systems get in the air on their own steam minus ballast? Yes of course. However, maybe we call those systems "strong sustainers"? Something to ponder.

Getting ready to self-launch for the 5th day in my ballasted 'strong sustainer' I guess. https://www.weglide.org/travel/1387

Congratulations to Bob/Desert Aerospace. The DG808J looks great.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Tue Dec 6 13:18:06 2022
    On 12/6/2022 11:42 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
    There are also the "Birdy" and the GP Jeta, but neither seems to be in actual production.

I flew mine ~1400 hours, but some hints on why I disposed of it: https://nadler.com/public/2020_AlmostSoaringReport/2020_DavesAlmostSoaringReport.html

Were you looking for vibration related problems? That was what Bob mentioned, and what I
    addressed. If not vibration related, what were you looking for?

Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to jfitch on Tue Dec 6 17:00:09 2022
    I doubt it'll out perform my Stemme...

Climbs at 800 fpm
    Cruises at 140 KTAS at 18,000'
    Burns around 4 gph in cruise
    30 gallon fuel capacity (no water ballast)
    600-800 NM range at cruise
    50:1 glide as a sail plane
    Carries 2 people

Starts like an airplane, just open the three cowl flaps and the
    propeller dome with the push of a single lever, turn on the pump switch,
    apply the choke, and turn the key. Electrically operated landing gear.

Requires a glider rating with self launch endorsement to fly.

I've flown mine for almost 1,000 hours and will sell it in the next year
    or two at a very attractive price.

Having said all of the above, I think Mark and Bob have done a terrific
    job (as always) in putting this thing together. I hope they sell a
    bunch of them!

Dan
    5J

On 12/6/22 09:34, jfitch wrote:
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 6:46:50 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

to a statement in it:

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    It's an impressive achievement, though perhaps there is a little hyperbole in the description. In addition to the Wankel not falling apart after every flight, the statement "..but suffice to say, it will outperform any other motorglider..." does not
    seem to be true, based on the stated numbers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Craig Reinholt on Wed Dec 7 07:33:15 2022
    On 12/6/2022 12:12 PM, Craig Reinholt wrote:
    to "hundreds".
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

On a bit of a tangent.

I'm willing to accept the manufacturer's designation, and leave it up to the customers to
    decide how much self-launch performance they need. We already do that with glide ratio,
    wing loading, flaps, and other performance features. After all, the recreational pilot
    launching unballasted from a Florida airport isn't going to need the same performance that
    a OLC or record seeking pilot requires to fly from Ely in the summer.

The MiniLAK (LAK 17B FES) can self-launch ballasted to MTOW. There may be others, but the
    Silent and Mini are the only ones I know very much about.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Ackerson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 08:34:45 2022
    Congratulations Bob!
    Please bring one to the SSA convention in Reno in February. I would love to see and talk to you about it.
    John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Dec 7 18:16:10 2022
    On 12/6/2022 4:18 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 12/6/2022 11:42 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
    There are also the "Birdy" and the GP Jeta, but neither seems to be
    in actual production.

I flew mine ~1400 hours, but some hints on why I disposed of it:
    https://nadler.com/public/2020_AlmostSoaringReport/2020_DavesAlmostSoaringReport.html

Were you looking for vibration related problems?
    That was what Bob mentioned, and what I addressed.

Yes, and....

If not vibration related, what were you looking for?

Signs of hydraulic, electrical problems. Loose bits in engine bay.
    Leaks, burning smell, etc.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 17:17:20 2022
    Signs of hydraulic, electrical problems. Loose bits in engine bay.
    Leaks, burning smell, etc.s, and....

You know, the usual stuff with motorgliders and powered aircraft. I usually just have to worry about mouse turds and spiders in my glider. Used to have to worry about snakes, until I started hanging it 12 feet off the floor.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 7 22:14:48 2022
    If there's a snake inside, it's either pursuing rodents or digesting same.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Fri Dec 9 20:58:52 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 3:20:15 AM UTC-8, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Hirth motorglider.

Wrong, a motorglider is PRIMARILY a glider with an auxiliary engine. This is PRIMARILY a powered aircraft that was converted from a motorglider. In other words, you would not use this machine to launch and then shut down the engine for the vast remainder
    of the flight.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 9 21:15:28 2022
    Wrong, a motorglider is PRIMARILY a glider with an auxiliary engine. This is PRIMARILY a powered aircraft that was converted from a motorglider. In other words, you would not use this machine to launch and then shut down the engine for the vast
    remainder of the flight.

Incorrect (again). This is intended to be used EXACTLY as a self-launch, retractable engine motorglider, with the capability of extending the turbines at any point in the flight. It does EXACTLY what your ASH-31 Mi does, but with a different power source.
    Read the report again, it states this clearly. If you get past the first couple of paragraphs that describe the airshow Salto, which IS a glider that uses a turbine throughout the performance, you might notice that the engines are retractable,
    extendable and restartable and are installed in a reasonably high-performance 18-meter sailplane. It might be too much to ask, but you should consider that maybe YOU are not the "expert" in this particular discussion.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Tisdale@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Sun Dec 11 16:05:20 2022
    On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-5, Bob Carlton wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

Congratulations Bob! A long hard fought battle.
    I remember being in one of your original "ground classes" at the SSA Convention years ago with the Bonus Jet and your plans for that.
    I look forward to seeing the DG-808J at the next SSA Convention.
    Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Dec 11 23:19:09 2022
    On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 9:15:30 PM UTC-8, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Wrong, a motorglider is PRIMARILY a glider with an auxiliary engine. This is PRIMARILY a powered aircraft that was converted from a motorglider. In other words, you would not use this machine to launch and then shut down the engine for the vast
    remainder of the flight.
    Incorrect (again). This is intended to be used EXACTLY as a self-launch, retractable engine motorglider, with the capability of extending the turbines at any point in the flight. It does EXACTLY what your ASH-31 Mi does, but with a different power
    source. Read the report again, it states this clearly. If you get past the first couple of paragraphs that describe the airshow Salto, which IS a glider that uses a turbine throughout the performance, you might notice that the engines are retractable,
    extendable and restartable and are installed in a reasonably high-performance 18-meter sailplane. It might be too much to ask, but you should consider that maybe YOU are not the "expert" in this particular discussion.

Wrong, AGAIN - the description CLEARLY states that the engines can't be retracted and are fixed in place.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 12 04:06:49 2022
    Holding my breath, waiting for 2G to admit he is wrong.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 12 04:01:37 2022
    Wrong, AGAIN - the description CLEARLY states that the engines can't be retracted and are fixed in place.

OK. Now you are just being stubborn, and possibly displaying OBTP symptoms.

WATCH THE VIDEO!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0csxezkny23roa/DG808_retract_extend_2022_07_18.mp4?dl=0

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Mon Dec 12 05:38:13 2022
    On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 7:06:51 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Please don't, Mark! You will die and I am planning on having a beer with you at the brewery this summer! ;-)

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 12 06:26:56 2022

Please don't, Mark! You will die and I am planning on having a beer with you at the brewery this summer! ;-)

Uli
    'AS'

Well, OK then! That sounds like a better option than waiting for something that probably won't happen. 2G is about as likely to admit he made a mistake as a member of the Flat Earth Society acknowledging the existence of GPS. By the way, did you ever
    notice that the Flat Earth Society and "Front Electric Sustainer" share the same three-letter acronym? Just sayin'...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Mon Dec 12 10:44:31 2022
    On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 7:01:40 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:

WATCH THE VIDEO!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0csxezkny23roa/DG808_retract_extend_2022_07_18.mp4?dl=0
    Please do us all a favor and not compare me with 2G, AKA, DH. DH has a long history of showing symptoms of electrical shock therapy, as we say down South, "That Boy Just Ain't Right. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Mon Dec 12 23:37:41 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 6:41:22 AM UTC-8, Mark Mocho wrote:
    projects? Too big?
    Definitely too big. The TJ100 is 10.5 inches in diameter and about 22 inches long. While that would fit inside the fuselage (assuming the engine bay door opening is wide enough), there is virtually no room for the extraction mechanism. Also, since it
    has an oil tank and recirculating oil system, it must rest horizontally in the engine bay. With a two-seat glider like the Arcus, this is not a problem, but a single seater is just a bit too small. Also, the price on the TJ100 is over twice as much as a
    PAIR of the TJ40s.

That must be a different glider than the DG808J Bob wrote about, which includes this quote:

"Its engine is not retractable"

which is what I relied on.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Dec 12 23:40:45 2022
    On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 10:44:34 AM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 7:01:40 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:

WATCH THE VIDEO!

Please do us all a favor and not compare me with 2G, AKA, DH. DH has a long history of showing symptoms of electrical shock therapy, as we say down South, "That Boy Just Ain't Right. OBTP

How is the new airfield search going, PottyMouth?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 13 03:55:07 2022
    "That must be a different glider than the DG808J Bob wrote about, which includes this quote:"

Tom, if you had actually bothered to read the report, you would have seen these two statements, which clearly define two entirely different aircraft:

"The most famous of these is my Salto airshow glider powered by a PBS TJ-100 turbine which produces 250 pounds of thrust. It was built
    specifically for airshow aerobatics, not soaring. It is a glider like a NASCAR Toyota Corolla is a Corolla. Its engine is not retractable."

"The DG808J has two TJ40's mounted side by side when extended. They rotate one above the other to retract."

Maybe if you read the whole thing before firing the cannons, you wouldn't look like a (insert suitable description here.) You could perhaps minimize the effect by actually admitting you were incorrect, but I don't think that is in your nature.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 13 12:51:13 2022
    On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 23:37:41 -0800 (PST), 2G wrote:

projects? Too big?
    Definitely too big. The TJ100 is 10.5 inches in diameter and about 22
    inches long. While that would fit inside the fuselage (assuming the
    engine bay door opening is wide enough), there is virtually no room for
    the extraction mechanism. Also, since it has an oil tank and
    recirculating oil system, it must rest horizontally in the engine bay.
    With a two-seat glider like the Arcus, this is not a problem, but a
    single seater is just a bit too small. Also, the price on the TJ100 is
    over twice as much as a PAIR of the TJ40s.

That must be a different glider than the DG808J Bob wrote about, which includes this quote:

IIRC *that* comment applied to the jet Salto, not the DJ-808J: one of the videos about the 808J clearly showed its engine mount pivoting 90 degrees
    and retracting.

Both gliders were referenced in the same post, though I did wonder what,
    if any, relevance the Salto had in a post about a about a modified DG 808.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 13 05:49:29 2022

The reference is simply to give a bit of credibility to Bob Carlton's experience with jet powered gliders. Specifically, Bob has converted a total of eight gliders to turbojets. (Alisport Silent with two AMT 450 turbines in 2004, Salto with non-retract
    PBS TJ-100 in 2008, TsT-14 Bonus with retractable PBS TJ-100 in 2010, four Schempp-Hirth Arcuses with retractable PBS TJ-100s in 2016-2018, and now the DG-808 with two PBS TJ-40s in 2022)

Other than that, the reference to the Salto appears to have been successful in demonstrating the stubbornness, lack of comprehension and poor reading skills of some obtuse individuals

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Tue Dec 13 14:37:00 2022
    On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 06:15:53 -0800 (PST), Hank Nixon wrote:

Salto reference provides perspective on the prior experience Bob has
    with projects of this type and I see that as useful.
    Not his first rodeo.
    UH

Fair comment, though I'd have included a link to a piece about the Salto
    rather than weaving it into a write-up that was primarily about the DG808 because that would be less likely to be misunderstood.

--

Martin | martin at

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Tue Dec 13 06:15:53 2022
    On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 7:51:16 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 23:37:41 -0800 (PST), 2G wrote:

projects? Too big?
    Definitely too big. The TJ100 is 10.5 inches in diameter and about 22
    inches long. While that would fit inside the fuselage (assuming the
    engine bay door opening is wide enough), there is virtually no room for
    the extraction mechanism. Also, since it has an oil tank and
    recirculating oil system, it must rest horizontally in the engine bay.
    With a two-seat glider like the Arcus, this is not a problem, but a
    single seater is just a bit too small. Also, the price on the TJ100 is
    over twice as much as a PAIR of the TJ40s.

IIRC *that* comment applied to the jet Salto, not the DJ-808J: one of the videos about the 808J clearly showed its engine mount pivoting 90 degrees
    and retracting.

--

Martin | martin at

Salto reference provides perspective on the prior experience Bob has with projects of this type and I see that as useful.
    Not his first rodeo.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 14:55:35 2022
    "I look forward to seeing the DG-808J at the next SSA Convention."

Unfortunately, the DG-808J will NOT be at the SSA Convention because Bob Carlton will be performing at the Australian International Airshow.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Esselstyn@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Sun Dec 25 07:07:43 2022
    Hello fellow aviators,

Looks like another Desert Aerospace amazing project. I particularly like how the turbines rotate 90 degrees for extension and retraction. I believe this is the first 18-meter ship to self-launch with turbines. Congratulations Bob, I can't wait to see
    it at Reno or Oshkosh.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Chris Esselstyn on Wed Dec 28 23:10:23 2022
    On Sunday, December 25, 2022 at 7:07:45 AM UTC-8, Chris Esselstyn wrote:
    Hello fellow aviators,

Looks like another Desert Aerospace amazing project. I particularly like how the turbines rotate 90 degrees for extension and retraction. I believe this is the first 18-meter ship to self-launch with turbines. Congratulations Bob, I can't wait to see
    it at Reno or Oshkosh.

I don't think it will see much of a market in Europe.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 29 03:59:13 2022

Correct. Noise restrictions in Europe pretty much eliminate turbines as self-launchers. Jet sustainers are OK, but ground engine runs face scrutiny.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sat Dec 31 22:24:05 2022
    On Thursday, 29 December 2022 at 13:59:15 UTC+2, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Correct. Noise restrictions in Europe pretty much eliminate turbines as self-launchers. Jet sustainers are OK, but ground engine runs face scrutiny.

Main issue here is WHY. Why would you want a jet self laucher? What are the advantages? Disadvantages are certainly plenty. I agree that market has to be microscopic for something like this, no matter where.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 1 07:56:02 2023
    Main issue here is WHY. Why would you want a jet self laucher? What are the advantages? Disadvantages are certainly plenty.

Advantages:
    1- Reliability. (When using a properly designed and purposed engine)
    2- Lack of vibration.
    3- Low drag. (Small engine profile and operation with engine bay doors closed) 4- Ease of starting. (Extend engine(s). Switch to "ON.")
    5- Lower thrust line.
    6- Shorter cool-down period.
    7- Ease of shutdown and retract. (No propeller alignment necessary)
    8- High cruise speed. (Up to 120 knots or more)

Disadvantages:
    1- Cost
    2- Fuel consumption
    3- Noise

I am sure you will come up with more perceived disadvantages, but these are the ones I consider relevant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 2 07:26:08 2023
    A few more advantages I thought about.
    1- sounds so cool on flybys
    2- fulfills my personal dream to fly a jet someday.
    3- safety, by maintaining a great glide ratio and much more range with engine out,
    4- maintenance, easy to remove and light and cheap to ship it for repairs and maintenance.
    5- low weight addition to airframe especially with fuel in the wings helps with better climb rate.
    6- much easier to upgrade when newer better turbines are available.

I would love to purchase a Jonkers JS2 without the sustainer jet. Then I would have Bob Carlton work his magic with the twins for self launch capacity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 2 22:11:51 2023
    How does the ground roll compare to proper self-launching DG? Published low climb rate and jet's low static thrust indicates that might be an issue. Easy maintenance is certainly a plus when you double your chance of engine trouble by having 2 engines.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 3 06:05:42 2023
    "How does the ground roll compare to proper self-launching DG? Published low climb rate and jet's low static thrust indicates that might be an issue."

Try reading the DG-808J report linked in the original post:

"Takeoff is accomplished by simply pushing the throttles forward to 100%. Takeoff acceleration is slightly less than with the prop, but the acceleration never slacks off. There is considerably less pitch/power coupling due to the engines' lower thrust
    line. Liftoff is normal, but instead of climbing as slow as practical as you would with the piston/prop system, stay in ground effect until 70–85 knots is reached before beginning the climb (jets like more speed).

The initial climb will be excellent! Our tests have all been done during summer in Moriarty at a field elevation of 6200’, giving us density altitudes of 8000’ to 10,000’. Even up here, we’re seeing over 500’/minute climb at 80 knots indicated."

Yes, the initial takeoff roll is slow (like trying to accelerate your car from a standstill in fourth gear) but as noted, it just continues to accelerate faster and faster. A propeller moves a large amount of air at a relatively low speed and
    acceleration starts out fast but drops off as speed increases. Jets move a smaller amount of air, but REALLY fast, and acceleration continues to increase through the takeoff.

And I don't consider 80 knots with a 500 fpm at 6,200 ft. MSL on an 8,000 ft. density altitude day to be a "low climb rate." It is definitely better than a "stock" DG-808. That's why the owner of the second DG-808 is making the switch.

Your statement about doubling the chance of engine failure by having two engines is an exercise in statistics. It's like saying that no engines mean no engine failures. Both statements are true, but with no failure incidents to cite, you could also say
    that two engines are twice as reliable as one, and infinitely more reliable than none.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Jan 3 08:02:59 2023
    How would the larger jet engine work in a DG-1001T?

Asking for a friend. No, really!

Dan
    5J

On 1/3/23 07:05, Mark Mocho wrote:
    "How does the ground roll compare to proper self-launching DG? Published low climb rate and jet's low static thrust indicates that might be an issue."

"Takeoff is accomplished by simply pushing the throttles forward to 100%. Takeoff acceleration is slightly less than with the prop, but the acceleration never slacks off. There is considerably less pitch/power coupling due to the engines' lower thrust
    line. Liftoff is normal, but instead of climbing as slow as practical as you would with the piston/prop system, stay in ground effect until 70–85 knots is reached before beginning the climb (jets like more speed).

The initial climb will be excellent! Our tests have all been done during summer in Moriarty at a field elevation of 6200’, giving us density altitudes of 8000’ to 10,000’. Even up here, we’re seeing over 500’/minute climb at 80 knots
    indicated."

Yes, the initial takeoff roll is slow (like trying to accelerate your car from a standstill in fourth gear) but as noted, it just continues to accelerate faster and faster. A propeller moves a large amount of air at a relatively low speed and
    acceleration starts out fast but drops off as speed increases. Jets move a smaller amount of air, but REALLY fast, and acceleration continues to increase through the takeoff.

And I don't consider 80 knots with a 500 fpm at 6,200 ft. MSL on an 8,000 ft. density altitude day to be a "low climb rate." It is definitely better than a "stock" DG-808. That's why the owner of the second DG-808 is making the switch.

Your statement about doubling the chance of engine failure by having two engines is an exercise in statistics. It's like saying that no engines mean no engine failures. Both statements are true, but with no failure incidents to cite, you could also say
    that two engines are twice as reliable as one, and infinitely more reliable than none.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Carlton@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Jan 3 07:46:16 2023
    On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 8:03:03 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J

Dan, I am speaking with the DG1000T owner (I assume the same one). It will come down to the size/shape of the engine bay of the sustainer engine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Tue Jan 3 13:03:00 2023
    Same owner. He just emailed me about your upcoming visit.

Dan
    5J

On 1/3/23 08:46, Bob Carlton wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 8:03:03 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J

Dan, I am speaking with the DG1000T owner (I assume the same one). It will come down to the size/shape of the engine bay of the sustainer engine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 3 17:28:42 2023
    Disadvantages:
    1- Cost
    2- Fuel consumption
    3- Noise

The oil is costly also. And JetA is not available at a surprising number of airports.. looking around recently some are 100LL only(i.e. can't assume that just because there is fuel, they would have both). Not sure if you can use diesel on these engines.
    Darren

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Jan 3 21:52:32 2023
    On Tuesday, 3 January 2023 at 16:05:44 UTC+2, Mark Mocho wrote:

I did, but could not find a word about ground roll.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 4 07:35:27 2023
    I did, but could not find a word about ground roll.

Well, except for the statement about slower initial acceleration. There are no numbers for takeoff roll distance or clearance over an obstacle, as we did not measure these. But I don't recall seeing any numbers for the piston/prop version either, so it
    would be difficult to make an honest comparison anyway. And the comparison would be irrelevant, as "factory" numbers would probably be taken at or near sea level on a cool morning with an unstated wind condition.

Maybe at some time in the future it will be possible to do a direct comparison between the turbine-powered DG-808J and a piston/prop DG-808C. That will depend on whether there is an available DG-808 to do a test at the same runway on the same day in the
    same conditions. Otherwise, guessing at takeoff numbers is useless.

But it is clear that you want to believe that the turbine DG has "worse" performance, so I will save you the time. It probably is not as good. But by how much? We don't know.

Happy now?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Darren Braun on Wed Jan 4 08:54:10 2023
    On 1/3/23 6:28 PM, Darren Braun wrote:
    Disadvantages:
    1- Cost
    2- Fuel consumption
    3- Noise

The oil is costly also. And JetA is not available at a surprising number of airports.. looking around recently some are 100LL only(i.e. can't assume that just because there is fuel, they would have both). Not sure if you can use diesel on these
    engines.
    Darren

I know one jet owner who has jetA available at his home airport, and the
    FBO won't sell it to him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Bick (DY)@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 4 08:54:55 2023
    Section 5.2.3 of the DG-808C Flight Manual has takeoff performance tables for 18 and 15 m configurations. As Mark states, they are noted as being at sea level, dry asphalt runway, engine/prop/glider in "proper" condition, and no wind. Also a statement
    that dry grass will increase roll 10-15%. For those at places like Moriarty, those numbers are not useful other than as a best possible performance. What we want to know is how it takes off at 6200' MSL, density altitude 8-10 kft. Since I now have an
    808C, piston driven, maybe Mark, Bob, the J owner(s) and I can coordinate a day/time this spring to do a comparison such as Mark indicates. With the igc traces we now all generate, doing a takeoff comparison (1 s recording interval, observer to verify
    liftoff point) should be straightforward. Time to altitude (say 2kft AGL) will also be interesting as the J has a different climb profile from the piston drive.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wallace Berry@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 4 16:09:11 2023
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
    Production?
    Well.....one off, "UH's" ASW-24e converted from gas to electric. I have about 100 flight hours in 2022 in it.
    It has been self launched (I haven't done that yet) and I have done "saves" to altitude (testing and real) as well as self retrieve.
    I have traces on Skylines if you want to see. I can tell you the flights. A real save and self retrieve were both at Newcastle this year.

As to this thread, guessing my old IPad OS and browser won't let me open the link.

Beautiful electric conversion on that 24! By the way Charlie, Happy New Year. I had a great time flying and conversing with you at New Castle. Hope to see you at the races this coming season!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Carlton@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 5 15:08:15 2023
    I'd like to thank Mark for stepping in with answers to questions on this forum while I've been busy. Also thanks to those who have posted valid questions and support of our efforts. Thanks to all for not turning this thread into a discussion of the jet
    Caproni ;o)

In general, here's what it boils down to. Every aircraft is just a bunch of flying compromises. Whether piston/prop, electric, jet, tow plane, nuclear or whatever, each launch method will have its pros and cons. We realize the jet glider isn't for
    everyone, but having flown nine different PBS turbine powered aircraft over 15 years, in all conditions (hot, cold, high altitude, dry, pouring rain, aerobatics), having been the POC for all of them, and all of the SubSonex builders, I can attest to
    their simplicity and reliability. The vast majority of failures of aircraft systems (all aircraft, not just motorgliders) are related to vibration. (Imagine if airliners were still using radial engines.) Turbine engines run smoother than any other
    options. Even electric aircraft must deal with the flight loads of a large spinning propeller. Even if the turbine glider uses a bit more runway on takeoff, once airborne, the low drag of our turbine installations provide a huge safety margin in the
    unlikely event of a double engine failure (the DG808J can climb on a single engine). As both Mark and I have stated, any performance numbers we generate up here at 6200 ft MSL and with near 10,000 ft density altitude can't be compared to the sea level,
    standard atmosphere numbers in flight manual.

Jets and props produce thrust differently. A propeller is a constant power device (engine horsepower). As airspeed increases, thrust decreases - a lot. It's like having a car with only first gear. This can be mitigated somewhat by using a variable pitch (
    constant speed) propeller, but you still only get about second gear, maybe third, given enough horsepower. A jet is a constant thrust device (actually thrust can increase with speed, but not in the speed range we fly our gliders). More like a car with
    fourth gear that auto switches to fifth or sixth if you go fast enough. This is why the DG808J can climb at relatively higher speeds. 65 knots is good, and so is 90 knots. And why once you're at a higher speed, you can reduce thrust and continue to climb
    well. A comparison of static thrust of propeller vs. jet is not a very useful comparison.

So...are there disadvantages to the turbine self launch glider? Sure. They are thirstier, louder, and (if retro-fitted to an existing glider) more expensive. However, from a safety standpoint (and safety is our number one priority, right?), they offer
    simpler operation, fewer moving parts, lighter weight, lower vibration, lower drag when extended, engine bay doors closed with engine extended, higher climb speed, higher climb rate, higher cruise speed, twin engines with independent systems, internal
    starter/generator, no belts, jet fuel is lower volatility, easy engine/component replacement, parts on the shelf or available overnight (US). The list goes on.

Owners of other motorgliders can often point to one or two 'mine is better' parameters, and each single parameter will have its vocal champions, but overall, I think we've struck a pretty good balance of flying compromises, especially if safety really is
    a concern.

I would like to take Eric Bick up on his idea of a fly-off. We can compare the prop DG to the jet DG in the same conditions. I'd say we compare takeoff distance, time to 2000' AGL(normal thermal climb), 4000' AGL (wave climb), and time to a turnpoint 10
    miles away (reaching a convergence line early in the morning), then time to lose 2000' with engine extended, but not running (just to be fair, I'll kill both engines in the jet since it can still climb on one). We could also include the Stemme in this
    fly off if Dan is up for it.

Blue skies,

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 5 17:04:55 2023
    R3JlYXQgd3JpdGUtdXAsIEJvYiEgLi4uQW5kIEknZCBsb3ZlIHRvIHRha2UgcGFydCBpbiB0 aGF0IHRlc3QhDQoNCkl0IHdpbGwgYmUgaW50ZXJlc3RpbmcgdG8gc2VlIGhvdyB0aGUgdHVy Ym9jaGFyZ2VkIGZvdXIgc3Ryb2tlIGVuZ2luZSANCmNvbXBhcmVzIHRvIHRoZSBub3JtYWxs eSBhc3BpcmF0ZWQgdHdvIHN0cm9rZS4gIFVuZm9ydHVuYXRlbHksIEkgZG9uJ3QgDQpoYXZl IGFueSBudW1iZXJzIGFib3V0IHBvd2VyIHRvIHdlaWdodCByYXRpbyB0byBjb21wYXJlIG15 IGdsaWRlciB3aXRoIA0KRXJpYydzLg0KDQpJJ20gYWxzbyBpbnRlcmVzdGVkIHRvIGNvbXBh cmUgdG8geW91ciBqZXQgaW4gZmxpZ2h0LCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IHNpbmNlIA0KSSd2ZSBoeXBl ZCBpdCB0byBhIGZyaWVuZCB3aG8ncyBjb25zaWRlcmluZyBzd2l0Y2hpbmcgaGlzIHR3by1z dHJva2UgDQplbmdpbmUgZm9yIG9uZSBvZiB5b3VyIGpldHMuDQoNCkRhbg0KNUoNCg0KT24g MS81LzIzIDE2OjA4LCBCb2IgQ2FybHRvbiB3cm90ZToNCj4gSSdkIGxpa2UgdG8gdGhhbmsg TWFyayBmb3Igc3RlcHBpbmcgaW4gd2l0aCBhbnN3ZXJzIHRvIHF1ZXN0aW9ucyBvbiB0aGlz IGZvcnVtIHdoaWxlIEkndmUgYmVlbiBidXN5LiBBbHNvIHRoYW5rcyB0byB0aG9zZSB3aG8g aGF2ZSBwb3N0ZWQgdmFsaWQgcXVlc3Rpb25zIGFuZCBzdXBwb3J0IG9mIG91ciBlZmZvcnRz LiBUaGFua3MgdG8gYWxsIGZvciBub3QgdHVybmluZyB0aGlzIHRocmVhZCBpbnRvIGEgZGlz Y3Vzc2lvbiBvZiB0aGUgamV0IENhcHJvbmkgIDtvKQ0KPiANCj4gSW4gZ2VuZXJhbCwgaGVy ZSdzIHdoYXQgaXQgYm9pbHMgZG93biB0by4gRXZlcnkgYWlyY3JhZnQgaXMganVzdCBhIGJ1 bmNoIG9mIGZseWluZyBjb21wcm9taXNlcy4gV2hldGhlciBwaXN0b24vcHJvcCwgZWxlY3Ry aWMsIGpldCwgdG93IHBsYW5lLCBudWNsZWFyIG9yIHdoYXRldmVyLCBlYWNoIGxhdW5jaCBt ZXRob2Qgd2lsbCBoYXZlIGl0cyBwcm9zIGFuZCBjb25zLiBXZSByZWFsaXplIHRoZSBqZXQg Z2xpZGVyIGlzbid0IGZvciBldmVyeW9uZSwgYnV0IGhhdmluZyBmbG93biBuaW5lIGRpZmZl cmVudCBQQlMgdHVyYmluZSBwb3dlcmVkIGFpcmNyYWZ0IG92ZXIgMTUgeWVhcnMsIGluIGFs bCBjb25kaXRpb25zIChob3QsIGNvbGQsIGhpZ2ggYWx0aXR1ZGUsIGRyeSwgcG91cmluZyBy YWluLCBhZXJvYmF0aWNzKSwgaGF2aW5nIGJlZW4gdGhlIFBPQyBmb3IgYWxsIG9mIHRoZW0s IGFuZCBhbGwgb2YgdGhlIFN1YlNvbmV4IGJ1aWxkZXJzLCBJIGNhbiBhdHRlc3QgdG8gdGhl aXIgc2ltcGxpY2l0eSBhbmQgcmVsaWFiaWxpdHkuIFRoZSB2YXN0IG1ham9yaXR5IG9mIGZh aWx1cmVzIG9mIGFpcmNyYWZ0IHN5c3RlbXMgKGFsbCBhaXJjcmFmdCwgbm90IGp1c3QgbW90 b3JnbGlkZXJzKSBhcmUgcmVsYXRlZCB0byB2aWJyYXRpb24uIChJbWFnaW5lIGlmIGFpcmxp bmVycyB3ZXJlIHN0aWxsIHVzaW5nIHJhZGlhbCBlbmdpbmVzLikgVHVyYmluZSBlbmdpbmVz IHJ1biBzbW9vdGhlciB0aGFuIGFueSBvdGhlciBvcHRpb25zLiBFdmVuIGVsZWN0cmljIGFp cmNyYWZ0IG11c3QgZGVhbCB3aXRoIHRoZSBmbGlnaHQgbG9hZHMgb2YgYSBsYXJnZSBzcGlu bmluZyBwcm9wZWxsZXIuIEV2ZW4gaWYgdGhlIHR1cmJpbmUgZ2xpZGVyIHVzZXMgYSBiaXQg bW9yZSBydW53YXkgb24gdGFrZW9mZiwgb25jZSBhaXJib3JuZSwgdGhlIGxvdyBkcmFnIG9m IG91ciB0dXJiaW5lIGluc3RhbGxhdGlvbnMgcHJvdmlkZSBhIGh1Z2Ugc2FmZXR5IG1hcmdp biBpbiB0aGUgdW5saWtlbHkgZXZlbnQgb2YgYSBkb3VibGUgZW5naW5lIGZhaWx1cmUgKHRo ZSBERzgwOEogY2FuIGNsaW1iIG9uIGEgc2luZ2xlIGVuZ2luZSkuIEFzIGJvdGggTWFyayBh bmQgSSBoYXZlIHN0YXRlZCwgYW55IHBlcmZvcm1hbmNlIG51bWJlcnMgd2UgZ2VuZXJhdGUg dXAgaGVyZSBhdCA2MjAwIGZ0IE1TTCBhbmQgd2l0aCBuZWFyIDEwLDAwMCBmdCBkZW5zaXR5 IGFsdGl0dWRlIGNhbid0IGJlIGNvbXBhcmVkIHRvIHRoZSBzZWEgbGV2ZWwsIHN0YW5kYXJk IGF0bW9zcGhlcmUgbnVtYmVycyBpbiBmbGlnaHQgbWFudWFsLg0KPiANCj4gSmV0cyBhbmQg cHJvcHMgcHJvZHVjZSB0aHJ1c3QgZGlmZmVyZW50bHkuIEEgcHJvcGVsbGVyIGlzIGEgY29u c3RhbnQgcG93ZXIgZGV2aWNlIChlbmdpbmUgaG9yc2Vwb3dlcikuIEFzIGFpcnNwZWVkIGlu Y3JlYXNlcywgdGhydXN0IGRlY3JlYXNlcyAtIGEgbG90LiBJdCdzIGxpa2UgaGF2aW5nIGEg Y2FyIHdpdGggb25seSBmaXJzdCBnZWFyLiBUaGlzIGNhbiBiZSBtaXRpZ2F0ZWQgc29tZXdo YXQgYnkgdXNpbmcgYSB2YXJpYWJsZSBwaXRjaCAoY29uc3RhbnQgc3BlZWQpIHByb3BlbGxl ciwgYnV0IHlvdSBzdGlsbCBvbmx5IGdldCBhYm91dCBzZWNvbmQgZ2VhciwgbWF5YmUgdGhp cmQsIGdpdmVuIGVub3VnaCBob3JzZXBvd2VyLiBBIGpldCBpcyBhIGNvbnN0YW50IHRocnVz dCBkZXZpY2UgKGFjdHVhbGx5IHRocnVzdCBjYW4gaW5jcmVhc2Ugd2l0aCBzcGVlZCwgYnV0 IG5vdCBpbiB0aGUgc3BlZWQgcmFuZ2Ugd2UgZmx5IG91ciBnbGlkZXJzKS4gTW9yZSBsaWtl IGEgY2FyIHdpdGggZm91cnRoIGdlYXIgdGhhdCBhdXRvIHN3aXRjaGVzIHRvIGZpZnRoIG9y IHNpeHRoIGlmIHlvdSBnbyBmYXN0IGVub3VnaC4gVGhpcyBpcyB3aHkgdGhlIERHODA4SiBj YW4gY2xpbWIgYXQgcmVsYXRpdmVseSBoaWdoZXIgc3BlZWRzLiA2NSBrbm90cyBpcyBnb29k LCBhbmQgc28gaXMgOTAga25vdHMuIEFuZCB3aHkgb25jZSB5b3UncmUgYXQgYSBoaWdoZXIg c3BlZWQsIHlvdSBjYW4gcmVkdWNlIHRocnVzdCBhbmQgY29udGludWUgdG8gY2xpbWIgd2Vs bC4gQSBjb21wYXJpc29uIG9mIHN0YXRpYyB0aHJ1c3Qgb2YgcHJvcGVsbGVyIHZzLiBqZXQg aXMgbm90IGEgdmVyeSB1c2VmdWwgY29tcGFyaXNvbi4NCj4gDQo+IFNvLi4uYXJlIHRoZXJl IGRpc2FkdmFudGFnZXMgdG8gdGhlIHR1cmJpbmUgc2VsZiBsYXVuY2ggZ2xpZGVyPyBTdXJl LiBUaGV5IGFyZSB0aGlyc3RpZXIsIGxvdWRlciwgYW5kIChpZiByZXRyby1maXR0ZWQgdG8g YW4gZXhpc3RpbmcgZ2xpZGVyKSBtb3JlIGV4cGVuc2l2ZS4gSG93ZXZlciwgZnJvbSBhIHNh ZmV0eSBzdGFuZHBvaW50IChhbmQgc2FmZXR5IGlzIG91ciBudW1iZXIgb25lIHByaW9yaXR5 LCByaWdodD8pLCB0aGV5IG9mZmVyIHNpbXBsZXIgb3BlcmF0aW9uLCBmZXdlciBtb3Zpbmcg cGFydHMsIGxpZ2h0ZXIgd2VpZ2h0LCBsb3dlciB2aWJyYXRpb24sIGxvd2VyIGRyYWcgd2hl biBleHRlbmRlZCwgZW5naW5lIGJheSBkb29ycyBjbG9zZWQgd2l0aCBlbmdpbmUgZXh0ZW5k ZWQsIGhpZ2hlciBjbGltYiBzcGVlZCwgaGlnaGVyIGNsaW1iIHJhdGUsIGhpZ2hlciBjcnVp c2Ugc3BlZWQsIHR3aW4gZW5naW5lcyB3aXRoIGluZGVwZW5kZW50IHN5c3RlbXMsIGludGVy bmFsIHN0YXJ0ZXIvZ2VuZXJhdG9yLCBubyBiZWx0cywgamV0IGZ1ZWwgaXMgbG93ZXIgdm9s YXRpbGl0eSwgZWFzeSBlbmdpbmUvY29tcG9uZW50IHJlcGxhY2VtZW50LCBwYXJ0cyBvbiB0 aGUgc2hlbGYgb3IgYXZhaWxhYmxlIG92ZXJuaWdodCAoVVMpLiBUaGUgbGlzdCBnb2VzIG9u Lg0KPiANCj4gT3duZXJzIG9mIG90aGVyIG1vdG9yZ2xpZGVycyBjYW4gb2Z0ZW4gcG9pbnQg dG8gb25lIG9yIHR3byAnbWluZSBpcyBiZXR0ZXInIHBhcmFtZXRlcnMsIGFuZCBlYWNoIHNp bmdsZSBwYXJhbWV0ZXIgd2lsbCBoYXZlIGl0cyB2b2NhbCBjaGFtcGlvbnMsIGJ1dCBvdmVy YWxsLCBJIHRoaW5rIHdlJ3ZlIHN0cnVjayBhIHByZXR0eSBnb29kIGJhbGFuY2Ugb2YgZmx5 aW5nIGNvbXByb21pc2VzLCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IGlmIHNhZmV0eSByZWFsbHkgaXMgYSBjb25j ZXJuLg0KPiANCj4gSSB3b3VsZCBsaWtlIHRvIHRha2UgRXJpYyBCaWNrIHVwIG9uIGhpcyBp ZGVhIG9mIGEgZmx5LW9mZi4gV2UgY2FuIGNvbXBhcmUgdGhlIHByb3AgREcgdG8gdGhlIGpl dCBERyBpbiB0aGUgc2FtZSBjb25kaXRpb25zLiBJJ2Qgc2F5IHdlIGNvbXBhcmUgdGFrZW9m ZiBkaXN0YW5jZSwgdGltZSB0byAyMDAwJyBBR0wobm9ybWFsIHRoZXJtYWwgY2xpbWIpLCA0 MDAwJyBBR0wgKHdhdmUgY2xpbWIpLCBhbmQgdGltZSB0byBhIHR1cm5wb2ludCAxMCBtaWxl cyBhd2F5IChyZWFjaGluZyBhIGNvbnZlcmdlbmNlIGxpbmUgZWFybHkgaW4gdGhlIG1vcm5p bmcpLCB0aGVuIHRpbWUgdG8gbG9zZSAyMDAwJyB3aXRoIGVuZ2luZSBleHRlbmRlZCwgYnV0 IG5vdCBydW5uaW5nIChqdXN0IHRvIGJlIGZhaXIsIEknbGwga2lsbCBib3RoIGVuZ2luZXMg aW4gdGhlIGpldCBzaW5jZSAgaXQgY2FuIHN0aWxsIGNsaW1iIG9uIG9uZSkuIFdlIGNvdWxk IGFsc28gaW5jbHVkZSB0aGUgU3RlbW1lIGluIHRoaXMgZmx5IG9mZiBpZiBEYW4gaXMgdXAg Zm9yIGl0Lg0KPiANCj4gQmx1ZSBza2llcywNCj4gDQo+IEJvYg0KPiANCj4gDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Bick (DY)@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Fri Jan 6 05:36:59 2023
    On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 5:04:59 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:I’m in.
    Great write-up, Bob! ...And I'd love to take part in that test!

It will be interesting to see how the turbocharged four stroke engine compares to the normally aspirated two stroke. Unfortunately, I don't
    have any numbers about power to weight ratio to compare my glider with Eric's.

I'm also interested to compare to your jet in flight, especially since
    I've hyped it to a friend who's considering switching his two-stroke
    engine for one of your jets.

Dan
    5J
    On 1/5/23 16:08, Bob Carlton wrote:
    I'd like to thank Mark for stepping in with answers to questions on this forum while I've been busy. Also thanks to those who have posted valid questions and support of our efforts. Thanks to all for not turning this thread into a discussion of the
    jet Caproni ;o)

In general, here's what it boils down to. Every aircraft is just a bunch of flying compromises. Whether piston/prop, electric, jet, tow plane, nuclear or whatever, each launch method will have its pros and cons. We realize the jet glider isn't for
    everyone, but having flown nine different PBS turbine powered aircraft over 15 years, in all conditions (hot, cold, high altitude, dry, pouring rain, aerobatics), having been the POC for all of them, and all of the SubSonex builders, I can attest to
    their simplicity and reliability. The vast majority of failures of aircraft systems (all aircraft, not just motorgliders) are related to vibration. (Imagine if airliners were still using radial engines.) Turbine engines run smoother than any other
    options. Even electric aircraft must deal with the flight loads of a large spinning propeller. Even if the turbine glider uses a bit more runway on takeoff, once airborne, the low drag of our turbine installations provide a huge safety margin in the
    unlikely event of a double engine failure (the DG808J can climb on a single engine). As both Mark and I have stated, any performance numbers we generate up here at 6200 ft MSL and with near 10,000 ft density altitude can't be compared to the sea level,
    standard atmosphere numbers in flight manual.

Jets and props produce thrust differently. A propeller is a constant power device (engine horsepower). As airspeed increases, thrust decreases - a lot. It's like having a car with only first gear. This can be mitigated somewhat by using a variable
    pitch (constant speed) propeller, but you still only get about second gear, maybe third, given enough horsepower. A jet is a constant thrust device (actually thrust can increase with speed, but not in the speed range we fly our gliders). More like a car
    with fourth gear that auto switches to fifth or sixth if you go fast enough. This is why the DG808J can climb at relatively higher speeds. 65 knots is good, and so is 90 knots. And why once you're at a higher speed, you can reduce thrust and continue to
    climb well. A comparison of static thrust of propeller vs. jet is not a very useful comparison.

So...are there disadvantages to the turbine self launch glider? Sure. They are thirstier, louder, and (if retro-fitted to an existing glider) more expensive. However, from a safety standpoint (and safety is our number one priority, right?), they
    offer simpler operation, fewer moving parts, lighter weight, lower vibration, lower drag when extended, engine bay doors closed with engine extended, higher climb speed, higher climb rate, higher cruise speed, twin engines with independent systems,
    internal starter/generator, no belts, jet fuel is lower volatility, easy engine/component replacement, parts on the shelf or available overnight (US). The list goes on.

Owners of other motorgliders can often point to one or two 'mine is better' parameters, and each single parameter will have its vocal champions, but overall, I think we've struck a pretty good balance of flying compromises, especially if safety
    really is a concern.

I would like to take Eric Bick up on his idea of a fly-off. We can compare the prop DG to the jet DG in the same conditions. I'd say we compare takeoff distance, time to 2000' AGL(normal thermal climb), 4000' AGL (wave climb), and time to a turnpoint
    10 miles away (reaching a convergence line early in the morning), then time to lose 2000' with engine extended, but not running (just to be fair, I'll kill both engines in the jet since it can still climb on one). We could also include the Stemme in this
    fly off if Dan is up for it.

Blue skies,

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Carlton@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 6 15:07:26 2023
    Reply to kinsell: Why won't the FBO sell your friend jet fuel? Curious if they would sell him 100LL? My guess is they don't want to dispense any aviation fuel into gas cans, especially improperly labeled gas cans. I have had this problem at a couple of
    FBOs years ago. I was always able to show them the aircraft, the aircraft flight manual fueling instructions, and my pump system with sealed quick disconnects and finally convince them. I now have a 26 gallon welded aluminum transfer tank permanently
    installed in my truck. Somehow that doesn't raise as many flags. Technically, at least here in the USA, and at a publicly funded airport, I don't think they can refuse to fuel a registered aircraft in accordance with its operation manual.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Bob Carlton on Fri Jan 6 22:20:49 2023
    I believe he showed up with jerry cans, and the FBO was not happy with
    the fuel handling. This was another glider conversion to jet
    self-launcher, I'm sure you know him:

https://youtu.be/U6t0BdoVRU8

On 1/6/23 4:07 PM, Bob Carlton wrote:
    Reply to kinsell: Why won't the FBO sell your friend jet fuel? Curious if they would sell him 100LL? My guess is they don't want to dispense any aviation fuel into gas cans, especially improperly labeled gas cans. I have had this problem at a couple of
    FBOs years ago. I was always able to show them the aircraft, the aircraft flight manual fueling instructions, and my pump system with sealed quick disconnects and finally convince them. I now have a 26 gallon welded aluminum transfer tank permanently
    installed in my truck. Somehow that doesn't raise as many flags. Technically, at least here in the USA, and at a publicly funded airport, I don't think they can refuse to fuel a registered aircraft in accordance with its operation manual.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sat Jan 7 11:37:50 2023
    That looked like Salida, CO...

Dan
    5J

On 1/6/23 22:20, kinsell wrote:
    the fuel handling.  This was another glider conversion to jet

Reply to kinsell: Why won't the FBO sell your friend jet fuel? Curious
    if they would sell him 100LL? My guess is they don't want to dispense
    any aviation fuel into gas cans, especially improperly labeled gas
    cans. I have had this problem at a couple of FBOs years ago. I was
    always able to show them the aircraft, the aircraft flight manual
    fueling instructions, and my pump system with sealed quick disconnects
    and finally convince them. I now have a 26 gallon welded aluminum
    transfer tank permanently installed in my truck. Somehow that doesn't
    raise as many flags. Technically, at least here in the USA, and at a
    publicly funded airport, I don't think they can refuse to fuel a
    registered aircraft in accordance with its operation manual.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Jan 8 10:18:15 2023
    Well, it wasn't Salina KS. Wasn't Salina UT either. Yep, must have
    been Salida CO!

Breakneck acceleration achieved with a downhill, downwind takeoff.

On 1/7/23 11:37 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    That looked like Salida, CO...

Dan
    5J

On 1/6/23 22:20, kinsell wrote:
    the fuel handling.  This was another glider conversion to jet

Reply to kinsell: Why won't the FBO sell your friend jet fuel?
    Curious if they would sell him 100LL? My guess is they don't want to
    dispense any aviation fuel into gas cans, especially improperly
    labeled gas cans. I have had this problem at a couple of FBOs years
    ago. I was always able to show them the aircraft, the aircraft flight
    manual fueling instructions, and my pump system with sealed quick
    disconnects and finally convince them. I now have a 26 gallon welded
    aluminum transfer tank permanently installed in my truck. Somehow
    that doesn't raise as many flags. Technically, at least here in the
    USA, and at a publicly funded airport, I don't think they can refuse
    to fuel a registered aircraft in accordance with its operation manual.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sun Jan 8 17:10:15 2023
    ...And breakneck down wash off the east end of the runway!

I have towed and been towed both directions at KANK. Great place for
    soaring.

Dan
    5J

On 1/8/23 10:18, kinsell wrote:
    Breakneck acceleration achieved with a downhill, downwind takeoff.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Jan 8 22:20:48 2023
    On Wednesday, 4 January 2023 at 17:35:29 UTC+2, Mark Mocho wrote:
    But it is clear that you want to believe that the turbine DG has "worse" performance, so I will save you the time. It probably is not as good. But by how much? We don't know.

Happy now?

I do not want to believe or guess, I try to base my opinions on facts. That's why I asked for them. I see 808J as a niche product for those operating at very high density altitudes and long, hard runways, not minding trading water ballast to Jet A-1
    ballast, or those that simply want to fly jet. No doubt the installation and technology is as state of the art as currently possible. I wish all the best for the project.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to ber...@auburn.edu on Mon Jan 9 14:46:52 2023
    On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 7:09:14 PM UTC-5, ber...@auburn.edu wrote:
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 11:27:10 AM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
    Production?

Beautiful electric conversion on that 24! By the way Charlie, Happy New Year. I had a great time flying and conversing with you at New Castle. Hope to see you at the races this coming season!

Hank gets the credit for the conversion, I just try to fly it well. See ya at the races.

As to this thread, new iPad, thus can see the links. Interesting looking system. Curious, in the inflight retract/extend, why crack open the spoilers? Is this needed, for minimum door open speed, or something else?
    Would be neat to see it in person, but I’m east coast so not likely.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 13 02:58:38 2023
    "Why don't you motorglider guys just call them Non-Binary gliders? Old Bob, The Purist"

The DG-808J is clearly a Non-Binary glider, as it has 2 jet engines. If it was "Binary," we would have to say it has 10 engines.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Fri Jan 13 17:16:07 2023
    On Friday, January 13, 2023 at 2:58:40 AM UTC-8, Mark Mocho wrote:
    "Why don't you motorglider guys just call them Non-Binary gliders? Old Bob, The Purist"

The DG-808J is clearly a Non-Binary glider, as it has 2 jet engines. If it was "Binary," we would have to say it has 10 engines.

Maybe PottyMouth can find a jet towplane.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05