• I give up

From jp@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 10 15:06:21 2023
    I give up. I'm trying to log into the SSA magazine web site. What is my "SSA Member ID"? One SSA web logon wants my email address. What does this one want?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 10 16:26:57 2023
    On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 3:06:24 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:
    I give up. I'm trying to log into the SSA magazine web site. What is my "SSA Member ID"? One SSA web logon wants my email address. What does this one want?
    I believe your SSA Member ID is your SSA membership number; at least, that works for me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 10 18:05:40 2023
    On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 4:06:24 PM UTC-6, jp wrote:
    E-mail webmaster@ssa.org for assistance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Oct 10 17:55:01 2023
    On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 4:27:00 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 3:06:24 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:
    I believe your SSA Member ID is your SSA membership number; at least, that works for me.
    Thank you Eric. I have tried that without success. I'll try again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Tue Oct 10 18:43:53 2023
    On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 6:05:43 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    E-mail webm...@ssa.org for assistance.
    Thank you Frank. I've sent an email asking for help with my password - which I guess I've forgotten. Not a surprise! I've tried a couple of the passwords I normally use but neither works - at least not with my numeric SSA ID. Passwords are a
    nightmare.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dgtarmichael@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 11 05:13:56 2023
    The default password is your zip code...

On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 8:43:56 PM UTC-5, jp wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 6:05:43 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    E-mail webm...@ssa.org for assistance.
    Thank you Frank. I've sent an email asking for help with my password - which I guess I've forgotten. Not a surprise! I've tried a couple of the passwords I normally use but neither works - at least not with my numeric SSA ID. Passwords are a nightmare.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 11 10:23:37 2023
    On Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 6:06:24 PM UTC-4, jp wrote:
    I give up. I'm trying to log into the SSA magazine web site.
    What is my "SSA Member ID"? One SSA web logon wants my email address.
    What does this one want?

Hi JP! I'm told you need to get help from a young-un for whom the new site is designed...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 11 11:39:44 2023
    Don't give up! And you don't have to be under 30 (make that under 50). At age 72, my understanding is that the "old" site, with contest results, the Soaring magazine archive (a nice resource), etc., still exists and requires your SSA membership # as the
    userID and your "old" password.

The "new" site--with member info--wraps around portions of the old site but you'll need to use your "new" userID (email address) and your "new" password, which you set up years ago when the new site launched. There's a lost password function there. If
    you're being prompted to enter your email address, you're on the new site. If it wants you to enter your number, it's the old site. My interpretation, anyway.

If you never set up a new userID/PW, there may be a way to do that now or you might have to consult the SSA.

The simultaneously existence of two online presences that overlap has all kinds of jarring look & feel, functional, creative, and analytics implications. Some pre-existing parts of the site still look like the old site. Others have been updated with a
    new UI and possibly even new functionality.

I recall hearing that this was a temporary measure when the new site launched. I might be tempted to criticize lack of follow-through on that, but given the problems I have with the new site, I'm glad the old areas of the site still exist. :)

Chip Bearden
    "JB"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Chip Bearden on Wed Oct 11 12:03:32 2023
    On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 2:39:46 PM UTC-4, Chip Bearden wrote:
    Don't give up! And you don't have to be under 30 (make that under 50). At age 72, my understanding is that the "old" site, with contest results, the Soaring magazine archive (a nice resource), etc., still exists and requires your SSA membership # as
    the userID and your "old" password.

The "new" site--with member info--wraps around portions of the old site but you'll need to use your "new" userID (email address) and your "new" password, which you set up years ago when the new site launched. There's a lost password function there. If
    you're being prompted to enter your email address, you're on the new site. If it wants you to enter your number, it's the old site. My interpretation, anyway.

If you never set up a new userID/PW, there may be a way to do that now or you might have to consult the SSA.

The simultaneously existence of two online presences that overlap has all kinds of jarring look & feel, functional, creative, and analytics implications. Some pre-existing parts of the site still look like the old site. Others have been updated with a
    new UI and possibly even new functionality.

I recall hearing that this was a temporary measure when the new site launched. I might be tempted to criticize lack of follow-through on that, but given the problems I have with the new site, I'm glad the old areas of the site still exist. :)

Chip Bearden
    "JB"
    Those of us who have access to an 8 year old and can access the legacy SSA website can see that work on resolving website issues is well underway. https://members.ssa.org/download/ExComm%20meeting%20draft%20minutes%209-13-23v1.docx

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John Godfrey on Wed Oct 11 13:28:44 2023
    On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 3:03:34 PM UTC-4, John Godfrey wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 2:39:46 PM UTC-4, Chip Bearden wrote:
    Don't give up! And you don't have to be under 30 (make that under 50). At age 72, my understanding is that the "old" site, with contest results, the Soaring magazine archive (a nice resource), etc., still exists and requires your SSA membership # as
    the userID and your "old" password.

The "new" site--with member info--wraps around portions of the old site but you'll need to use your "new" userID (email address) and your "new" password, which you set up years ago when the new site launched. There's a lost password function there.
    If you're being prompted to enter your email address, you're on the new site. If it wants you to enter your number, it's the old site. My interpretation, anyway.

The simultaneously existence of two online presences that overlap has all kinds of jarring look & feel, functional, creative, and analytics implications. Some pre-existing parts of the site still look like the old site. Others have been updated with
    a new UI and possibly even new functionality.

Chip Bearden
    "JB"
    Those of us who have access to an 8 year old and can access the legacy SSA website can see that work on resolving website issues is well underway. https://members.ssa.org/download/ExComm%20meeting%20draft%20minutes%209-13-23v1.docx
    John. it only took 72 hours to get to the Moon! OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05