• Re: Why Graendal killed Asmodean

From Timothy Bruening@21:1/5 to Jazza on Sun May 22 13:20:06 2022
    On Thursday, September 21, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jazza wrote:
    While I know the FAQ says a lot about this subject, what bugs me is that Graendal is not even mentioned as a possible candidate for Asmo's killer
    (the version I could find didn't, anyway). Which is strange, because she
    fits all the requirements listed there (could be recognized by him, able
    to dispose of the body, etc). But more importantly, she fits the reason
    as to *why* Asmodean was killed. The FAQ lists at some length the
    argument that Asmo was killed simple because he stumbled into someone he recognized, and was killed to hide a breach in Rand's security. So why
    does it seem that no-one has realized that Graendal has agents in
    Caemlyn? She reveals this several times, such as when she tells Sammael
    that she knows his emissary is dead, and in a couple of other places. Furthermore, RJ has said that we have all the clues to figure out who
    killed Asmodean. If this claim is correct, then the killer must be
    someone who has mentioned Asmo's demise or who is otherwise connected to
    him in some way. The only people to mention Asmo's death are Demandred, Sammael and Graendal. We know Demandred didn't kill him, and Sammael
    didn't know for sure that Asmodean was dead. But Graendal definitively stated, twice, that Asmodean was dead. Hence, Graendal killed Asmodean.

On page 175 of the paperback LoC, Lord of Chaos spoilers:

Sammael asks Graendal if she has any idea of the whereabouts of Asmodean, Lanfear, or Moghedian. Graendal says "Myself, I think Lews Therin killed them.". It was possible that Graendal didn't know from personal experience that Asmodean was dead.
    After all, she thought wrongly that Lanfear and Moghedian were dead, (meaning that she didn't know of their fates from personal experience), so it was possible that Graendal hadn't known of Asmodean's fate from personal experience.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Timothy Bruening@21:1/5 to Jazza on Sat Jun 4 20:04:13 2022
    On Thursday, September 21, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jazza wrote:
    While I know the FAQ says a lot about this subject, what bugs me is that Graendal is not even mentioned as a possible candidate for Asmo's killer
    (the version I could find didn't, anyway). Which is strange, because she
    fits all the requirements listed there (could be recognized by him, able
    to dispose of the body, etc). But more importantly, she fits the reason
    as to *why* Asmodean was killed. The FAQ lists at some length the
    argument that Asmo was killed simple because he stumbled into someone he recognized, and was killed to hide a breach in Rand's security. So why
    does it seem that no-one has realized that Graendal has agents in
    Caemlyn? She reveals this several times, such as when she tells Sammael
    that she knows his emissary is dead, and in a couple of other places. Furthermore, RJ has said that we have all the clues to figure out who
    killed Asmodean. If this claim is correct, then the killer must be
    someone who has mentioned Asmo's demise or who is otherwise connected to
    him in some way. The only people to mention Asmo's death are Demandred, Sammael and Graendal. We know Demandred didn't kill him, and Sammael
    didn't know for sure that Asmodean was dead. But Graendal definitively stated, twice, that Asmodean was dead. Hence, Graendal killed Asmodean.

I saw Graendal opine that Rand had offed Asmodean. That would not be proof that she had killed him!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)