• Sue's May 2022 Hilton Head Trip - Day 1 of 6

From Sue/WDW1972@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 4 16:41:35 2022
    DAY 1 – Wednesday 5/5/22
    Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
    SB (64), my husband

Plan: Drive to HHI, Poseidon

Actual: I worked until 10 and since SB’s job involves working a shift we put in for him to be off today. We were loaded up and on the road by 10:11. We ran into a couple delays on I-95 – one construction, one a bad accident. As a result we didn’
    t arrive until after 2:30. The good news is our villa was ready. The bad news is it’s an accessible (handicapped) unit.

What this really means is the kitchen layout is a bit different (fewer drawers, lower cabinets but for a short person like me no big deal), the bathroom is one big room vs 2 separate rooms (negative), there’s only 1 sink (negative – traveling with
    someone who splashes water everywhere makes having separate sinks a nice thing), and the normally small shower stall is replaced with a larger one that has a stupid curtain rather than a door. The curtain ends a few inches above the floor, and the
    little risen part to supposedly contain the water is about one inch – so I fully expect to be using towels to sop up water on the bathroom floor (another negative). The living room, dining room and bedroom look normal. The porch of course is the same,
    and we do have a view of the marsh. We didn’t get top floor as I’d requested, but hopefully the people upstairs are a couple like us and not a pair of ignorant parents who let their kids run around and jump off furniture like uncivilized heathens (
    past experience). So far, as of 7pm there’s not been a peep of noise from upstairs, so keeping fingers crossed! Overall, while I would not have wanted this room, I understand that if handicapped people don’t book these rooms the rest of us will get
    stuck with them and for me it hasn’t happened very often so I see it as I simply drew the short straw on this trip. Will it ruin the trip? Hell no. Can we live with it? Hell yes. I’m happy to be here, so this is piddly disappointment crap that
    really doesn’t mean anything in the long run.

We’re in building 12, which is connected to Live Oak Lodge. We’d parked under the lodge so we went down and put our stuff on the cart to bring up to the villa. The resort is planning a refurbishment starting this year, but this villa is the same as
    before. It’s attractive, although I noticed in the living room we did not have the area rug with the fish design. Perhaps that’s an accommodation for people in a wheelchair.

We unloaded our stuff and I unpacked. We both set up our computers and SB had more time than me since women seem to do the bulk of the work before getting to do their personal stuff <g>. Or maybe I’m just a fool, lol.

Around 3:45 we left the villa and drove over to Poseidon. Once there SB commented that this was so close we could have walked! Geez! Walking is my preferred way of getting here, but I’d assumed he’d bitch about walking. I pointed out Sunday we’
    ll be back – we can walk then. He agreed. We’ll see what happens Sunday, lol!

Since it was early parking was a piece of cake, and we got a spot right outside the Nauti Bar at Poseidon. The bar was half full and the high-top tables were half taken, so we went to the side of the bar with a lot of seats. This was a good choice
    since you typically get better service AT the bar vs IN the bar area.

Happy hour was starting in about 10 minutes, so the bartender got our drinks but didn’t enter the order until 4pm. I had the house pinot grigio ($5/glass) and SB got a strawberry margarita. After that he switched to beer. He ordered a dozen of the
    Virginia oysters since Holli had said in January that they were the best oysters she’d ever had. SB loved them – said they were outstanding. During happy hour they’re $1.75 each, so it was $11.75 for the dozen. For our “meals” he got the
    crab cake appetizer and I got my usual pimento cheese w/naan bread ($6.50).

SB loved his crab cake – it was only one, but it had a ton of crab. He said it was better than Maryland, which is known for crab. What we didn’t realize is it was $26 for a single crab cake!!! Good thing he loved it <g>. My pimento cheese was
    fabulous as always. SB helped eat it, but I still had leftover to take back. I don’t know how I used to eat it all myself in the past. After we settled the check we drove around the corner and parked at Kroger.

We picked up everything on our list and a few things not on the list. They have a great cheese department here (Murray’s) so I picked up a few cheeses in case I have time/room to eat cheese & crackers while here. We also got the fabulous turtle
    cookies I had in January, along with breakfast stuff and sandwich stuff for SB.

Back at the resort we brought the groceries upstairs and then walked over to Shelter Cove Harbor. SB wanted to go to Scott’s for a nightcap. I suggested checking out the new sports bar first (Top Dawg Tavern) but he wanted Scott’s. We get there and
    there’s still no happy hour. SB ordered a pina colada and I got a cosmo – check was $25-30. The drinks were good, but with happy hour deals elsewhere I just didn’t see being there. They did have a guitarist/singer who was very nice, but I don’
    t see myself going back there as long as they are discontinuing their previous happy hour.

After settling that check we walked a bit further in and SB saw the Top Dawg Tavern, which was quite busy! They have bar seating facing the marina (prime spot in my opinion), as well as a large bar and several outdoor tables. SB agreed this place
    looked good. If only he’d been willing to walk down here earlier, but maybe we’ll make it back some night.

There was something going on at the stage next door so he led us over there and sat down. However, it wasn’t music – it was some guy talking. The sign said some chamber of commerce. Looking at the audience it looked like a bunch of graduating
    students – very few old farts like us. We got up and left, not knowing what the hell it was but clearly it was not entertainment. We walked back over the bridge and headed up to the villa.

Once inside SB pulled out the sleep sofa. I asked if he was sleeping out here and he felt he would be snoring tonight. Ok – that’s fine with me – I don’t want any noise in my room. I got the sheets, blanket & pillows for him then joined him in
    the living room to catch up on the report. Sunset is 8:06 tonight so I may wander over to the pier to see that. I asked SB if he wanted to go but he was happy staying home watching an NBA playoff game.

Today was a great start to the trip. There were some delays due to traffic, but we’d left early enough to allow for that. Instead of shopping before going to dinner, we shopped afterwards – no big deal. Poseidon was GREAT as usual – Pete & Judy
    would go here every night after we’d leave our trips and I think it we didn’t have so many other places we try to fit into 5 days we’d be happy be here every night. Scotts was fun, although the no happy hour thing annoys me. They’re not the
    only show in town, so this will hopefully be my last visit.

Tomorrow is our first full day, and the morning will be spent at the beach! I love the beach here! Later I have a 1pm call to take, and we’ll most likely do an early dinner/happy hour at Skull Creek Boathouse. If SB is still up for a nightcap we’
    ll try Top Dawg Tavern this time.

Sue/WDW1972

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)