• Pearls Before Swine: The Sun Always Rises in the East

From Lynn McGuire@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 2 15:50:35 2023
    XPost: rec.arts.comics.strips

Pearls Before Swine: The Sun Always Rises in the East
    https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2023/05/02

Pigs going to have tough day if we ever have to move the Earth (see The Wandering Earth documentary, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7605074/ ).

Lynn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From artyw2@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Lynn McGuire on Tue May 2 15:31:30 2023
    On Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 4:50:41 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    Pearls Before Swine: The Sun Always Rises in the East https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2023/05/02

I figure I am off to a good start if at least 2 of the three laws of thermodynamics are working and I will gladly take people's word that the third law of thermodynamics is working. When I was in college, there was a lab named after a famous low
    temperature chemist. I think he died my senior year of college and I wondered if he was preserved frozen in his own lab:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Giauque
    But people shouldn't have places like that named after them while they are still alive

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Thu May 4 11:30:33 2023
    On Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 11:39:10 AM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
    On Wed, 03 May 2023 23:13:40 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
    wrote:
    Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> writes:
    On 5/3/2023 5:16 PM, John W Kennedy wrote:
    On 5/2/23 10:25 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    On 5/2/2023 5:13 PM, John W Kennedy wrote:
    On 5/2/23 4:50 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    Pearls Before Swine: The Sun Always Rises in the East
    Â Â Â https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2023/05/02

Pigs going to have tough day if we ever have to move the Earth (see >>>>>> The Wandering Earth documentary,
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7605074/ ).

Lynn

Why spend bazillions on altering Earth’s angular momentum?

Watch the documentary. It is free on Netflix.
    Â Â Â https://www.netflix.com/title/81067760

Cool, the documentary has gotten a sequel ! Hopefully it will appear >>>> on Netflix soon.
    Â Â Â https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf3VreXwVpI

Lynn

Even from IMDB I can see how the science would be an embarrassment to
    “Lost In Space�.

Such as ?

Have you calculated the energy required to make a drastic[*] change
    in the earths orbit around the sun?

[*] Slowing the orbital velocity of the earth around the sun will
    decrease the distance from the sun, increasing the orbital velocity
    will increase the distance from the sun - yet the earth will still
    orbit the sun. Leaving solar orbit completely (either attempting a solar slingshot[**]
    by slowing and irregularizing orbit or using unimaginably vast thrust to leave
    orbit) will require vast amounts of energy and will result in devastating seismic consequences on a dynamic planet like the earth. Simply changing the TSI (Total Solar Insolation) will likely result in an unhabitable planet as the planet would not be able to respond rapidly to a change
    in the solar radiation balance.

[**] which likely will heat the planet beyond habitability during the flyby. Which is why it is considered "Science Fiction".

ITYM speculative fiction.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 11 04:13:43 2023
    I like science fantasy, at least up to a point, however, people who can't handle basic planetary facts are and always will be boring. Although it isn't a crime, solar system and Earth science research should be far more exciting than things like time
    travel which originated in a science fantasy novel in the 19th century based on the empirical misadventure with timekeeping-

"Now, it is very remarkable that this is so extensively overlooked,’ continued the Time Traveller, with a slight accession of cheerfulness. ‘Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some people who talk about the Fourth Dimension
    do not know they mean it. It is only another way of looking at Time. There is no difference between time and any of the three dimensions of space " H.G. Wells (1866–1946). The Time Machine. 1898.

I believe they conjured up a formal version of the science fantasy novel as early 20th-century relativity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to petertrei@gmail.com on Thu May 11 08:54:18 2023
    On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:54:00 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com" <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 11:03:20?AM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 1:57:34?PM UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 3:01:38?AM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 4:44:15?AM UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 5:33:04?PM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote: >> > > > > .A necessary qualification

* The North and South poles don't rotate as a function of daily rotation as the rotational velocity at either pole is zero whereas it is 1037.5 mph at the Equator. We live in an era where they can't even get that value right thereby losing the
    main fact for a round and rotating planet.
    The north and south poles rotate at a rotational velocity of 15 degrees/hour. Linear velocity
    isn't the correct unit to use.

Pt
    Let the nuisance who constantly interrupts genuine discussions in sci.astro.amateur explain to you on both counts why your statement is science fiction.
    So, you are unable to articulate your objections, and seem to be resorting to the
    Appeal to Authority fallacy.

Fail.

pt
    Science fantasy only works when people are under no pretence that it is anything other than fantasy, however, science fiction is an extension of the scientific method as a subculture. For the slow learner, people like to go to the movies and enjoy
    science fantasy but they don't want to live there, yet unfortunately, the education system supports a lot of fiction.

The rotational velocity at the North Pole is zero as velocity diminishes across latitude from a maximum velocity of 1037.5 mph at the Equator.

In any case, a few days ago you all believed the Sun tracks in one direction and now you know it tracks in opposite directions depending on what polar latitude the observer is standing on.

I think we're arguing with a person who will recast terminology to suit his argument.
    There's simply no reason to continue.

Such as his attempt to restrict "science fiction" to /hard/ SF, while
    renaming all other forms of SF as "science fantasy".

See, this is what happens when you try to merge two genres (SF,
    Fantasy) into one (Speculative Fiction) -- semanitc goo.
    --
    "In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
    development was the disintegration, under Christian
    influence, of classical conceptions of the family and
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 11 11:13:28 2023
    I didn't come here to humiliate anyone yet know all too well that intellectual pretence is its own genre when it comes to enjoying science fiction while also enjoying the solar system and Earth science research. Isaac Newton blurred the distinction
    through contrived manipulations of the antecedent works of the first Sun-centred astronomers hence the scramble to maintain the fiction that he saw further than those great astronomers.

In any case, the science here is that observers at the North and South polar locations watch the Sun track in opposite directions with one sunrise ( and sunset) on opposite Equinox, March at the North Pole and September at the South Pole-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okw6Mu3mxdM

When faced with that observation, the first question for reasonable readers is why when all observers at lower latitudes see the Sun come into view from one horizon and disappear from view on the opposite horizon?.

The science fact, as opposed to the science fiction of a tilting Earth, is that the Earth has two separate rotations to the Sun with the slower surface rotation parallel to the orbital plane as a function of the Earth's orbital motion.

Science fantasy is more enjoyable when appreciated along with reliable science facts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Thu May 11 13:45:28 2023
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 2:13:30 PM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    I didn't come here to humiliate anyone yet know all too well that intellectual pretence is its own genre when it comes to enjoying science fiction while also enjoying the solar system and Earth science research. Isaac Newton blurred the distinction
    through contrived manipulations of the antecedent works of the first Sun-centred astronomers hence the scramble to maintain the fiction that he saw further than those great astronomers.

Don't worry, you certainly haven't come close to humiliating anyone here. However, since this
    is a writing-oriented group, I *will* point out that the above sentence should be taken out and
    shot.

In any case, the science here is that observers at the North and South polar locations watch the Sun track in opposite directions with one sunrise ( and sunset) on opposite Equinox, March at the North Pole and September at the South Pole-

When faced with that observation, the first question for reasonable readers is why when all observers at lower latitudes see the Sun come into view from one horizon and disappear from view on the opposite horizon?.

The science fact, as opposed to the science fiction of a tilting Earth, is that the Earth has two separate rotations to the Sun with the slower surface rotation parallel to the orbital plane as a function of the Earth's orbital motion.

Ahhh - now we see why you're posting here. You're getting laughed at by actual scientists,
    for not understanding how polar inclination works.

Science fantasy is more enjoyable when appreciated along with reliable science facts.

Its weird. I recall another poster, I think at least 15 years ago, who had a similar obsession.
    with the Earth's rotation vis-a-vis its travel around the sun. He had a blindness to the
    issue of frame of reference, counting rotations as passages of the sun overhead, vs counting as
    passages of a distant star overhead.

Anyone else remember that guy?

We also had, much more recently, an Eastern European "astrophysicist" who tried to sell us
    demonstrably incorrect interpretations of data from the DART mission. He didn't understand
    the kinetics of impacts.

pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Thu May 11 17:04:29 2023
    On Friday, May 12, 2023 at 4:13:30 AM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Based on that and your comment on relativity you wouldn't recognise a fact if it bit you

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Fri May 12 00:35:12 2023
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 9:45:30 PM UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 2:13:30 PM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    Don't worry, you certainly haven't come close to humiliating anyone here. However, since this
    is a writing-oriented group, I *will* point out that the above sentence should be taken out and
    shot.

Ahhh - now we see why you're posting here. You're getting laughed at by actual scientists,
    Its weird. I recall another poster, I think at least 15 years ago, who had a similar obsession.
    with the Earth's rotation vis-a-vis its travel around the sun. He had a blindness to the
    issue of frame of reference, counting rotations as passages of the sun overhead, vs counting as

We also had, much more recently, an Eastern European "astrophysicist" who tried to sell us
    demonstrably incorrect interpretations of data from the DART mission. He didn't understand
    the kinetics of impacts.

pt

This is why, in terms of human understanding and perception, the best I can do for you is that you are boring and mediocre as a group rather than creative individuals in literature. It has always been that way.

The blindness belongs to people who can't manage to associate one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours with one rotation of the Earth because they follow the dictates of a late 17th-century subculture.

" It is a fact not generally known that, owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time, the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are 24-hour days in the year" NASA /Harvard

The fun goes out of science fantasy as the science fiction above has no basis in scientific fact even though it is the basis of the clockwork solar system or RA/Dec modelling as it is called.

If it is any help, there would be no enjoyment of science fantasy coming from an author who believed in a flat Earth so likewise you and your colleagues in terms of a solar/sidereal contrivance. Keep up the good work complaining about my grammar,
    sentence structure and spelling as that is the level I would expect from contributors here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Fri May 12 06:10:53 2023
    On Friday, May 12, 2023 at 5:35:15 PM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

This is why, in terms of human understanding and perception, the best I can do for you is that you are boring and mediocre as a group rather than creative individuals in literature. It has always been that way.

The blindness belongs to people who can't manage to associate one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours with one rotation of the Earth because they follow the dictates of a late 17th-century subculture.

" It is a fact not generally known that, owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time, the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are 24-hour days in the year" NASA /Harvard

The fun goes out of science fantasy as the science fiction above has no basis in scientific fact even though it is the basis of the clockwork solar system or RA/Dec modelling as it is called.

If it is any help, there would be no enjoyment of science fantasy coming from an author who believed in a flat Earth so likewise you and your colleagues in terms of a solar/sidereal contrivance. Keep up the good work complaining about my grammar,
    sentence structure and spelling as that is the level I would expect from contributors here.

If you don't like it here feel free to fuck off

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to petertrei@gmail.com on Fri May 12 10:11:48 2023
    On Thu, 11 May 2023 13:45:28 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com" <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 2:13:30?PM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

shot.

Both sentences, I presume.

I have /no/ idea what the second one is going on about. It soulds
    similar to my occasionally-felt need to point out that Copernicus did
    /not/ invent heliocentrism, as many appear to believe, but that the
    Ancient Greeks were well aware that theory. Indeed, I once read an
    essay (I suppose that is the term) relating Ptolemy to Copernicus that
    pointed out that Plato's demiurge appears to have created a
    helicentric system whose planets had orbits whose ratios were not that
    far off from the first five (or six, if they were aware of Saturn) of
    ours.

So far as I can tell, what Newton did was present his theory of
    gravity as the mysterious force posited by Kepler to keep the planets
    on elliptical orbits.

IIRC, even Ptolemy could distinguish sidereal time from solar time.

I think that was before my time here.

the kinetics of impacts.

Him I remember.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 12 11:07:59 2023
    It is a combination of horror and science-fantasy genres where mindless zombies come at me with the inability to associate one rotation of the Earth with one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours. Always biting because they cannot distinguish time
    from timekeeping and how the systems we use today were put together, the calendar system in antiquity and the 24-hour cycle more recently with the emergence of accurate clocks.

All the growling from adherents of the zombie subculture doesn't affect those who haven't lost the ability to use their reasoning and perceptive faculties so although the majority of humanity is presently lost to a mathematical misadventure with
    timekeeping and distortions visited on the heritage of astronomy, the zombie mindlessness is not a permanent condition and can be cured.

I wish it was fiction, I truly do, however, it is quite real as this thread affirms.

(The flat Earth people can type sentences just as the solar/sidereal people but intellectual pretence is also the common denominator with both.)

So growl away.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 13 04:11:51 2023
    Actual science is enjoyable.

Copernicus accounted for the slower-moving planets further from the Sun than the faster-moving Earth as they fall behind in view as the Earth overtakes them-

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011220.html

Because Copernicus and his contemporaries were chained to the stationary field of background constellations of Ptolemy as a framework, they were obligated to assert a moving Earth in a Sun-centred system as a hypothesis even though it now makes so much
    sense with 21st-century imaging.

A decade ago I worked out that the faster-moving Venus and Mercury needed an entirely different framework to account for their back-and-forth (direct/retrograde) motions around our parent star -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

It amounts to a scaled-up version of Jupiter's satellites as they run back and forth around their parent planet-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrBAuLBXag

The Earth's orbital motion is accounted for by the annual change in the position of the stars parallel to the orbital plane so it sets up the Sun as a central reference for the motions of Venus and Mercury-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

https://www.popastro.com/images/planetary/observations/Venus-July%202010-January%202012.jpg

Think any one of you can handle the visual narrative?.

I personally think I am wasting my time here but wish the contributors here would stay away from the sci.astro.amateur newsgroup and stop demobbing creative and productive contributions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Carnegie@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Sat May 13 03:15:48 2023
    On Friday, 12 May 2023 at 18:11:55 UTC+1, Paul S Person wrote:
    On Thu, 11 May 2023 13:45:28 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com" <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

shot.

I have /no/ idea what the second one is going on about. It sounds
    essay (I suppose that is the term) relating Ptolemy to Copernicus that pointed out that Plato's demiurge appears to have created a
    ours.

You can see Saturn.

I'm currently having a couple of arguments with someone
    on Quora in this area. One of his thoughts is that the
    Earth's orbit can't be an ellipse because the tropics
    don't have seasons as we understand them. Another is
    that heliocentrism was really invented by Muslim astronomer
    Ibn al-Shatir.

Oddly, I can't type "Ibn al-Shatir" correctly, so maybe my
    computer is in the conspiracy if I'm not. What I think he
    and Copernicus achieved, separately or not, is a revision
    of Ptolemy's universe with epicycles on epicycles, to
    something that mathematically corresponds with the
    Earth and other planets moving in circles or ellipses
    around the Sun. I say "mathematically" because most
    commentaries, who may be quoting from each other,
    insist that Ibn al-Shatir never claimed that Earth really
    moves in that way. The actual work is beyond me,
    but I think the position is that both Ibn al-Shatir and
    Copernicus produced a "better" geocentric mathematical
    model, but only Copernicus went further and substituted
    a heliocentric model, although IIRC he still used circular
    orbits.

I give less credit to the ancient Greeks because you can
    find an ancient Greek philosopher who believed anything
    at all or was alleged to, because they probably didn't do
    the math, and because heliocentrists didn't win the argument
    at the time. Ibn al-Shatir's system was overlooked too.
    Huh, he just turned in front of my eyes into "Ibn al-Shakir".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to rja.carnegie@excite.com on Sat May 13 09:10:50 2023
    On Sat, 13 May 2023 03:15:48 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2023 13:45:28 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
    <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:

shot.

ours.

You can see Saturn.

Ibn al-Shatir.

Well, here's an article on him:
    [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Shatir]. And [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Shatir#Possible_influence_on_Nicolaus_Copernicus]
    discusses similarities to Copernicus.

orbits.

This is very confused and, frankly, it has been quite some time since
    I read Copernicus, and still longer since Ptolemy. There are a lot of
    works in the set /Great Books of the Western World/ chronologically
    between the two.

Ptolemy was attempting to reconcile Aristotle's insistence that the
    planets moved in circles (because only linear and circular motion
    could go on forever) with reality. The purpose off all those circles
    was to show how the planets, while moving eternally on circles,
    nonetheless appeared to be doing no such thing.

Kind of like phlogiston. Or, for that matter, dark matter/dark energy.
    You /know/ a theory is in trouble when it is necessary to invent new
    and unobservable phenomena to "save the appearances".

As to Copernicus, there was no "or ellipses", except, of course, in
    the sense that a circle is a degenerate ellipse. (Note that this use
    of "degenerate" is mathematical and not a comment on the morality of
    circles.) By putting the Sun at the center, he eliminated /its/
    circles, gifted the Earth with circles, and replaced one circle in
    each of the other planets with the main circle of the Earth. The moon,
    since it actually /does/ go around the Earth, stayed much the same,
    although a moving Earth may have required a few adjustments.

The only "Ancient Greek" that mattered for a long long time to
    many/most people was Aristotle. And /he/ insisted that the Earth was
    the center of the World. And that no other Worlds could exist, as the
    elements that moved (by nature) to the center of the Earth would move
    to the center of /our/ Earth, preventing the formation of any other
    World.

Nonetheless, Plato's Demiurge can be portrayed as building a
    heliocentric system of planets with orbits having ratios similar to
    ours. Like atomism, heliocentrism was a part of Greek philosophy, but
    not of Aristotle. Copernicus could have been familiar with these
    alternates to Aristotle.

Bing is smart enough to match "ibn al-shakir" to "ibn al-shatir", BTW.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to psperson@old.netcom.invalid on Sun May 14 08:38:26 2023
    On Sat, 13 May 2023 09:10:50 -0700, Paul S Person
    <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

On Sat, 13 May 2023 03:15:48 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie ><rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2023 13:45:28 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@gmail.com"
    <pete...@gmail.com> wrote:
    I didn't come here to humiliate anyone yet know all too well that intellectual pretence is its own genre when it comes to enjoying science fiction while also enjoying the solar system and Earth science research. Isaac Newton blurred the
    distinction through contrived manipulations of the antecedent works of the first Sun-centred astronomers hence the scramble to maintain the fiction that he saw further than those great astronomers.

shot.

ours.

You can see Saturn.

Ibn al-Shatir.

Well, here's an article on him: >[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Shatir]. And >[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Shatir#Possible_influence_on_Nicolaus_Copernicus]
    discusses similarities to Copernicus.

orbits.

This is very confused and, frankly, it has been quite some time since
    I read Copernicus, and still longer since Ptolemy. There are a lot of
    works in the set /Great Books of the Western World/ chronologically
    between the two.

Ptolemy was attempting to reconcile Aristotle's insistence that the
    planets moved in circles (because only linear and circular motion
    could go on forever) with reality. The purpose off all those circles
    was to show how the planets, while moving eternally on circles,
    nonetheless appeared to be doing no such thing.

Kind of like phlogiston. Or, for that matter, dark matter/dark energy.
    You /know/ a theory is in trouble when it is necessary to invent new
    and unobservable phenomena to "save the appearances".

As to Copernicus, there was no "or ellipses", except, of course, in
    the sense that a circle is a degenerate ellipse. (Note that this use
    of "degenerate" is mathematical and not a comment on the morality of >circles.) By putting the Sun at the center, he eliminated /its/
    circles, gifted the Earth with circles, and replaced one circle in
    each of the other planets with the main circle of the Earth. The moon,
    since it actually /does/ go around the Earth, stayed much the same,
    although a moving Earth may have required a few adjustments.

The only "Ancient Greek" that mattered for a long long time to
    many/most people was Aristotle. And /he/ insisted that the Earth was
    the center of the World. And that no other Worlds could exist, as the >elements that moved (by nature) to the center of the Earth would move
    to the center of /our/ Earth, preventing the formation of any other
    World.

Nonetheless, Plato's Demiurge can be portrayed as building a
    heliocentric system of planets with orbits having ratios similar to
    ours. Like atomism, heliocentrism was a part of Greek philosophy, but
    not of Aristotle. Copernicus could have been familiar with these
    alternates to Aristotle.

Bing is smart enough to match "ibn al-shakir" to "ibn al-shatir", BTW.

Also, Muslim culture preserved a great many Greek texts [1], so Ibn
    Al-Shatir may well have been familiar with heliocentric philosophy as
    well.

[1] Indeed the very /name/ used for Ptolemy's work ("Almagest") is an
    amalgam of the Arablic article "Al" and a transliteration of the Greek "magiste", "greatest") [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almagest#Names].
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 15 10:56:27 2023
    Goodness me, so much for creative and productive people here !.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_QKCpjNvh8

On cue, the Pleiades enter the range of the camera as the Earth continues its journey around the Sun-

The demonstration that the Earth orbits the Sun is dependent on the annual change in the position of the stars from an evening to morning appearance is so truly remarkable that all these visual narratives are ignored.

Mercury and Venus transition from both an evening to morning appearance as they move between the slower-moving Earth and the central Sun and from a morning appearance to an evening appearance as they pass behind the Sun. Jupiter and Saturn only
    transition from an evening to dawn appearance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Mon May 15 20:56:58 2023
    On Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 3:56:30 AM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

On cue, the Pleiades enter the range of the camera as the Earth continues its journey around the Sun-

The demonstration that the Earth orbits the Sun is dependent on the annual change in the position of the stars from an evening to morning appearance is so truly remarkable that all these visual narratives are ignored.

WTF is denying that the earth orbits the sun?

Mercury and Venus transition from both an evening to morning appearance as they move between the slower-moving Earth and the central Sun and from a morning appearance to an evening appearance as they pass behind the Sun. Jupiter and Saturn only

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Titus G@21:1/5 to Hamish Laws on Tue May 16 16:36:22 2023
    On 16/05/23 15:56, Hamish Laws wrote:

Hah! A treasure trove of SF book recommendations must be coming from
    Gerald Kelleher who has previously described everyone in this group as brainless but now wishes to share his expertise on what creative and
    productive subscribers to sf.WRITTEN would like.
    (Where is Jibini? He is needed.)

I didn't bother going to those websites to passively watch videos
    because I am too busy being creative and productive.

WTF is denying that the earth orbits the sun?

Certainly not the renown astrologer, Gee Kelleher, (who was born
    Kellehim but had his private parts surgically removed after a fall on
    his head causing him to see stars (and planets).)

Will there be a test on this later? (Where is Jibini?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Titus G@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 16 16:55:26 2023

Later on I have to go to the WGM (Weekly General Meeting) which is also
    a RTN (Required Training Night) of the APTCPARW (Association of
    Professional Traffic Cone Positioners at Accidents and Road Works) and
    ask your permission to read that out under GB (General Business) or if
    it is copyright or forbidden under your AC (Astrologer's Code) to be
    spoken in semi public by someone without a PhD (Probable head Damage).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Default User@21:1/5 to Titus G on Tue May 16 05:31:59 2023
    Titus G wrote:

Arguing on RASFW with an idiot is a pretty strong counter-argument to
    that.

Brian (who doesn't even need to pretend to be productive these days)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 15 23:02:37 2023
    The solar/sidereal people (look in the mirror) are the same as the flat Earth people as they are the joke themselves. Intelligent people can be funny, lighthearted, creative or have any other positive trait but people who can't associate one sunrise/noon/
    sunset cycle every 24 hours with one rotation of the Earth have nothing going for them. It isn't an insult but as certain as the Sun tracks in one direction at the North Pole and the opposite direction at the South, something which can't be appreciated
    among the daft who have a locked-in mentality-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_time#/media/File:Sidereal_time.svg

People can believe whatever they want, however, the entire basis of RA/Dec modelling beginning with Isaac Newton is based on that clockwork solar system framework so science fiction becomes a horror narrative for humanity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Tue May 16 20:56:26 2023
    On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 1:56:30 PM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Gerald Kelleher Is the latest of a long series of crackpots we've seen in this newsgroup. He probably
    won't be the last.

They suffer under the illusion that SF fans aren't aware of the difference between fiction and reality.

Pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lynn McGuire@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Tue May 16 23:11:15 2023
    On 5/16/2023 10:56 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

Gerald Kelleher Is the latest of a long series of crackpots we've seen in this newsgroup. He probably
    won't be the last.

They suffer under the illusion that SF fans aren't aware of the difference between fiction and reality.

Pt

Wait, the Earth is not flat ???

And doesn't the Sun revolve around the Earth ???

Lynn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Tue May 16 20:52:43 2023

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Titus G@21:1/5 to Default User on Wed May 17 17:13:46 2023
    On 16/05/23 17:31, Default User wrote:
    Titus G wrote:

Arguing on RASFW with an idiot is a pretty strong counter-argument to
    that.

I deny arguing. I claim that I was creatively ridiculing.

Brian (who doesn't even need to pretend to be productive these days)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to Lynn McGuire on Tue May 16 22:48:20 2023
    On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 5:12:34 AM UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:

won't be the last.

Pt

Lynn

Ah, if it isn't Miss Pearls to Swine.

The axiom for daily rotation was that the Sun appeared to move around the Earth by moving from horizon to horizon every 24 hours while the axiom for orbital motion is that the Sun took 365 days to move across the constellations-

" The 10th argument, taken from the periodic times, is as follows; the
    the apparent movement of the Sun has 365 days which is the mean measure
    between Venus' period of 225 days and Mars' period of 687
    days. Therefore does not the nature of things shout out loud that the
    circuits in which those 365 days are taken up have a mean position
    between the circuits of Mars and Venus around the Sun and thus this is
    not the circuit of the Sun around the Earth -for none of the primary
    planets have their orbit arranged around the Earth, as Brahe admits, but the circuit of the Earth around the resting Sun, just as the other
    planets, namely Mars and Venus, complete their own periods by running
    around the Sun." Kepler

You unfortunate people, not that it matters to me, insist that one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle is not one rotation every 24 hours for historical reasons that are beyond your understanding. Who would get satisfaction from speaking with the solar/sidereal
    people no more than I would flat Earth proponents? This is why I have kept the contributor to this forum who visits sci.astro.amateur at arm's length for many years so it is a subculture where the boundaries that divide science fact, science fiction and
    science fantasy that defines the group.

In a word, mediocre.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Default User@21:1/5 to Titus G on Wed May 17 06:15:48 2023
    Titus G wrote:

On 16/05/23 17:31, Default User wrote:
    Titus G wrote:

Arguing on RASFW with an idiot is a pretty strong counter-argument
    to that.

I deny arguing. I claim that I was creatively ridiculing.

Point taken.

Brian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Carnegie@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Wed May 17 02:37:28 2023
    On Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 06:48:23 UTC+1, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

won't be the last.

Pt

Lynn

The axiom for daily rotation was that the Sun appeared to move around the Earth by moving from horizon to horizon every 24 hours while the axiom for orbital motion is that the Sun took 365 days to move across the constellations-

the apparent movement of the Sun has 365 days which is the mean measure between Venus' period of 225 days and Mars' period of 687
    days. Therefore does not the nature of things shout out loud that the circuits in which those 365 days are taken up have a mean position
    planets have their orbit arranged around the Earth, as Brahe admits, but the circuit of the Earth around the resting Sun, just as the other
    around the Sun." Kepler

You unfortunate people, not that it matters to me, insist that one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle is not one rotation every 24 hours for historical reasons that are beyond your understanding. Who would get satisfaction from speaking with the solar/sidereal
    people no more than I would flat Earth proponents? This is why I have kept the contributor to this forum who visits sci.astro.amateur at arm's length for many years so it is a subculture where the boundaries that divide science fact, science fiction and

In a word, mediocre.

I'm not sure which unfortunate people you're addressing.
    It seems to me uncontroversial that the Earth turns
    completely on its axis 366 times, and partway more,
    between one apogee (being farthest from the Sun) and
    the next, which is the count of sidereal days of around
    23 hours 56 minutes. Milankovitch and Einstein and
    everyday tidal force make complications, but not such
    as to affect what occurs in one year.

I meant to call out already, to Titus I think, that rudeness
    to other participants here is liable to offend most of
    everyone else, and that misgendering someone hasn't
    been funny since the 1970s ended.

I am quite annoyed that a description of a Foucault pendulum
    at Earth's south pole in 2001 states more than once "the Earth
    rotates once on its axis every 24 hours", +/- 50 minutes by
    their measurement. <https://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/00s/southpolefoucault.html>

"We then realized that from our frame of reference the earth
    should be spinning clockwise so we had to modify the pendulum.
    At an altitude of 11,000+ feet we think a bit more slowly."

Apparently, measuring this accurately by a means other than
    "looking up" is tricky.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 17 07:56:35 2023
    The average 24-hour day is derived by taking samples for each individual noon cycle and discovering, through a sand or water clock, that varying amounts of material would result for each cycle. If 40 samples of different amounts are taken, combined and
    then divided equally, an amount equal to not only the 24-hour day will result but also equal hours, minutes and seconds as subdivisions of that 24-hour day.

As 'average' and 'constant' represent roughly the same terms, the 24-hour clock noon can be anchored to the sunrise/noon/sunset cycle so one rotation every 24 hours expands linearly to a thousand rotations in a thousand 24-hour days. The Earth, therefore,
    rotates at a rate of 15 degrees per hour and once every 24 hours as per the Latitude/Longitude framework linked to the average 24-hour day.

Intellectual pretence or basically eccentricity is really not acceptable and science fiction/science fantasy will do quite well so long as contributors don't diminish basic facts in astronomy and timekeeping and partition flights of the imagination from
    enjoyable science facts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lynn McGuire@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Wed May 17 13:39:50 2023
    On 5/17/2023 12:48 AM, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

won't be the last.

Pt

Lynn

the apparent movement of the Sun has 365 days which is the mean measure between Venus' period of 225 days and Mars' period of 687
    days. Therefore does not the nature of things shout out loud that the circuits in which those 365 days are taken up have a mean position
    around the Sun." Kepler

In a word, mediocre.

My pronouns are he, him, and Mr.

Lynn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Wed May 17 17:50:36 2023
    On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 12:56:38 AM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

As 'average' and 'constant' represent roughly the same terms

They really don't

The average income in the USA in 2019 was $33,133, that's very different from everybody in the USA earning $33,133.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Woodward@21:1/5 to Hamish Laws on Wed May 17 21:41:37 2023
    In article <dbcab460-d948-46b1-8b77-e0d3292427b4n@googlegroups.com>,
    Hamish Laws <hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 12:56:38?AM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

They really don't

The average income in the USA in 2019 was $33,133, that's very different from everybody in the USA earning $33,133.

And that is different from the median income (e.g., the income of the
    50001 person if you sort 100001 people by income).

--
    "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
    Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_. —-----------------------------------------------------
    Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to Hamish Laws on Wed May 17 23:11:16 2023
    On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 1:50:41 AM UTC+1, Hamish Laws wrote:
    On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 12:56:38 AM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

They really don't

The average flow of water through a pipe can be rendered into the constant flow of water through a pipe.

The average 24-hour day derived from variations in each natural noon cycle with clock noon anchored to natural noon allows for the emergence of the Latitude/Longitude system and is exquisite before it is practical. The average/constant rate is 15
    degrees per hour or an equatorial rotation velocity of 1037.5 mph so the Earth turns its 24,901-mile circumference in 24 hours -

https://i0.wp.com/datalab.marine.rutgers.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Longitude-Ben-R-Jordan.png?ssl=1

You are excused because nobody has explained the creation of the 24-hour day and equal hours, minutes and seconds properly nor how the latitude/longitude system emerged as an extension of timekeeping.

In any case, the variations in the natural noon cycles would be the next up for consideration and that involves the combination of surface rotations - daily rotation and the separate rotation which causes the Sun to track in opposite directions at the
    Poles.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Carnegie@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Thu May 18 01:42:21 2023
    On Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 15:56:38 UTC+1, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    The average 24-hour day is derived by taking samples for each individual noon cycle and discovering, through a sand or water clock, that varying amounts of material would result for each cycle. If 40 samples of different amounts are taken, combined and
    then divided equally, an amount equal to not only the 24-hour day will result but also equal hours, minutes and seconds as subdivisions of that 24-hour day.

As 'average' and 'constant' represent roughly the same terms, the 24-hour clock noon can be anchored to the sunrise/noon/sunset cycle so one rotation every 24 hours expands linearly to a thousand rotations in a thousand 24-hour days. The Earth,
    therefore, rotates at a rate of 15 degrees per hour and once every 24 hours as per the Latitude/Longitude framework linked to the average 24-hour day.

Intellectual pretence or basically eccentricity is really not acceptable and science fiction/science fantasy will do quite well so long as contributors don't diminish basic facts in astronomy and timekeeping and partition flights of the imagination
    from enjoyable science facts.

I don't know to whom you're replying. If it's to me,
    most of this is irrelevant nonsense. If your claim
    is that the Earth rotates, on average, exactly once
    between one sunset and the next, I do not agree.
    If the basis of your statement is that the Earth is
    stationary in space except for its rotation, I do not
    agree. If you want to continue to debate that, I do
    not agree. Are those points on which we disagree?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to Robert Carnegie on Thu May 18 05:41:59 2023
    On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 9:42:24 AM UTC+1, Robert Carnegie wrote:
    On Wednesday, 17 May 2023 at 15:56:38 UTC+1, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    The average 24-hour day is derived by taking samples for each individual noon cycle and discovering, through a sand or water clock, that varying amounts of material would result for each cycle. If 40 samples of different amounts are taken, combined
    and then divided equally, an amount equal to not only the 24-hour day will result but also equal hours, minutes and seconds as subdivisions of that 24-hour day.

As 'average' and 'constant' represent roughly the same terms, the 24-hour clock noon can be anchored to the sunrise/noon/sunset cycle so one rotation every 24 hours expands linearly to a thousand rotations in a thousand 24-hour days. The Earth,
    therefore, rotates at a rate of 15 degrees per hour and once every 24 hours as per the Latitude/Longitude framework linked to the average 24-hour day.

Intellectual pretence or basically eccentricity is really not acceptable and science fiction/science fantasy will do quite well so long as contributors don't diminish basic facts in astronomy and timekeeping and partition flights of the imagination
    from enjoyable science facts.
    I don't know to whom you're replying. If it's to me,
    most of this is irrelevant nonsense. If your claim
    is that the Earth rotates, on average, exactly once
    between one sunset and the next, I do not agree.
    If the basis of your statement is that the Earth is
    stationary in space except for its rotation, I do not
    agree. If you want to continue to debate that, I do
    not agree. Are those points on which we disagree?

I couldn't care less whether you agree or not, the natural noon cycles vary in length from one complete cycle to the next-

https://adcs.home.xs4all.nl/Huygens/06/kort-E.html

The description I gave above predates the Equation of Time as the necessity of creating the average or equal 24-hour day also creates the equal or average hour, minute and second derived from the average 24-hour day. The EoT does not work without the
    timekeeping divisions hence is a secondary practical innovation.

As the average 24-hour cycle is anchored to noon, hence AM and PM, the average 24-hour day can be converted into a constant rotation rate of 15 degrees per hour and into the Latitude/Longitude framework overlaid on the planet's geography, geometry and
    timekeeping. The Equation of Time is a flexible extension once equal hours, minutes and seconds are determined.

If people are so utterly stupid, and that may very well be the case in this newsgroup, to believe that timekeeping emerged in an alternative way so these solar/sidereal clowns tried to bypass the central Sun and natural noon by appealing to the daily
    change in the position of the stars instead, then they display the same contrived intellectual pretence as the flat Earth people. I would have no time to waste on such people who lack self-respect and integrity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to robertaw@drizzle.com on Fri May 19 13:15:55 2023
    On Wed, 17 May 2023 21:41:37 -0700, Robert Woodward
    <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

The average income in the USA in 2019 was $33,133, that's very different from
    everybody in the USA earning $33,133.

And that is different from the median income (e.g., the income of the
    50001 person if you sort 100001 people by income).

L'il Abner did that one years ago very effectively. I miss that strip
    - it wasn't as wicked as Scott Adams but definitely challenging!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Fri May 19 16:59:29 2023
    On 2023-05-11 04:13, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    I like science fantasy, at least up to a point, however, people who can't handle basic planetary facts are and always will be boring. Although it isn't a crime, solar system and Earth science research should be far more exciting than things like time
    travel which originated in a science fantasy novel in the 19th century based on the empirical misadventure with timekeeping-

"Now, it is very remarkable that this is so extensively overlooked,’ continued the Time Traveller, with a slight accession of cheerfulness. ‘Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some people who talk about the Fourth
    Dimension do not know they mean it. It is only another way of looking at Time. There is no difference between time and any of the three dimensions of space " H.G. Wells (1866–1946). The Time Machine. 1898.

I believe they conjured up a formal version of the science fantasy novel as early 20th-century relativity.

<yawn>

Next you'll be telling us that airplanes don't displace air downward
    when they're flying.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 16:37:19 2023
    I salute the contributors here who have made a celestial sphere world out of a misadventure with timekeeping and who cannot be reached, even with visual affirmations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCCSegL8ic

None of you are swine, just victims of a timekeeping misadventure that belongs to another era.

I don't mind being an individual who appreciates the observation that the Sun tracks in opposite directions at the North and South Poles, not even that the stars change position annually relative to the central Sun and the orbital plane-

There are the Pleiades passing behind the Sun due to the Earth's orbital motion and a gateway into an ancient heritage which has been lost to voodoo merchants-

"Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the
    earth?" Book of Job

How I love those people as much as I ignore the vapid mentalities which dominate our era.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to Alan on Fri May 19 23:27:42 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 12:59:34 AM UTC+1, Alan wrote:
    On 2023-05-11 04:13, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

"Now, it is very remarkable that this is so extensively overlooked,’ continued the Time Traveller, with a slight accession of cheerfulness. ‘Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some people who talk about the Fourth
    Dimension do not know they mean it. It is only another way of looking at Time. There is no difference between time and any of the three dimensions of space " H.G. Wells (1866–1946). The Time Machine. 1898.

<yawn>

Next you'll be telling us that airplanes don't displace air downward
    when they're flying.

There is this wonderful science fiction novel called Alice in Wonderland that addresses a society that can no longer distinguish science fact from science fantasy-

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427391-600-alices-adventures-in-algebra-wonderland-solved/

There is always room for a group of people who live out their own subculture, however, when it is taught as science fact within the education system then that is an altogether different matter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sat May 20 03:38:24 2023
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 3:30:22 PM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

The North and South poles don't rotate as the rotational velocity at
    either pole is zero whereas it is 1037.5 mph at the Equator.

My goodness! I will agree that the North and South poles of the Earth
    are not _displaced_ by the Earth's rotation, unlike points on the Equator.

But that isn't the same as there being no rotation there. Rotation is a
    change in orientation - and the change of 360 degrees per day (approximately,
    I won't argue that point here) is still true even at the pole.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sat May 20 03:39:34 2023
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 1:01:38 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Let the nuisance who constantly interrupts genuine discussions in sci.astro.amateur

This is a reference to me, for the information of those
    people in rec.arts.sf.written.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sat May 20 03:53:26 2023
    On Friday, May 12, 2023 at 1:35:15 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

" It is a fact not generally known that, owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time, the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often
    than there are 24-hour days in the year" NASA /Harvard

You may think this statement is the height of nonsense.

I have some issues with it myself, in the way it is worded.

It _is_ generally known that the length of the day is 24 hours.
    It is *also* generally known that the Earth orbits the Sun once a year.

Just about everyone knows these facts.

So, if I asked someone how many times a year would some star on
    or near the Celestial Equator - let's take Sirius, for example - is
    directly overhead at a given place on the Earth...

after thinking about it a little, the man in the street would answer that
    it would have to be 364 or 366 times a year - either one more, or one
    less, than the number of days in a year, since Sirius is always in the same direction while the Earth's orbit means the Sun is in a different direction from us over the course of a year.

Of course, that's not really taking it out of the "not generally known" category. The man in the street wouldn't be sure it was 366 1/4 isntead
    of 364 1/4, for one thing. And since he had to _think_ about it, he didn't
    know about it until after he finished thinking.

But "not generally known" to me tends to imply that people actually
    believe the contrary. And I don't think that's true, so it would be more accurate, perhaps, to say that it's a fact not generally *cared about*.

Your view of the cosmos, though, in which the Earth is strictly
    subordinate to the Sun, and so the Earth's rotation can only be
    concieved of in relation to the line between the Earth and the
    Sun, instead of being viewed in absolute terms relative to the fixed
    stars... that is bizarre, and it is *not* what the man in the street
    believes.

Even if he does seem to nod in that direction, by thinking of the
    Moon as not rotating, since one side of it always faces the Earth.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sat May 20 04:04:26 2023
    On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 8:56:38 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    The average 24-hour day is derived by taking samples for each individual
    noon cycle and discovering, through a sand or water clock, that varying amounts of material would result for each cycle. If 40 samples of different amounts are taken, combined and then divided equally, an amount equal to
    not only the 24-hour day will result but also equal hours, minutes and seconds as subdivisions of that 24-hour day.

That's certainly _one_ way to do it.

But the "pretentious" way to do it avoids the need to make measurements
    that span a whole year. Instead, one can use a meridian circle to measure
    the return of a star to its position - in 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds - which does not need to be averaged out, because it is the same the year
    around.

Then, one can just subtract one to see how many days there are in a year.

And the variations in the daily cycle can then be explained on the solid
    ground of a uniform rotation, and the known elliptical orbital motion of the Earth, in the fashion I explain here:

http://www.quadibloc.com/science/eot.htm

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 04:39:47 2023
    Once again, I salute people here and carry on with your endeavours even if nobody enjoys the human astronomical and timekeeping heritage and thereby cannot distinguish science fact from science fantasy. That heritage is ancient and I so adore just how
    careful these unknown people were and perhaps, how careless our present society is with the inheritance we have from ancient societies.

The creation and emergence of the average 24-hour day also serve the subdivision of average hours, minutes and seconds with clock noon anchored to the variations in natural noon. Daily rotation creates the sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours with
    the time between sunrise to noon symmetrical with noon to sunset.

No need to explain further in this area as once the average 24-hour day and accurate clocks emerged, people can make the antecedent predictive 365/366-day system more accurate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sat May 20 10:03:09 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 7:39:50 AM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    Once again, I salute people here and carry on with your endeavours even if nobody enjoys the human astronomical and timekeeping heritage and thereby cannot distinguish science fact from science fantasy. That heritage is ancient and I so adore just how
    careful these unknown people were and perhaps, how careless our present society is with the inheritance we have from ancient societies.

The creation and emergence of the average 24-hour day also serve the subdivision of average hours, minutes and seconds with clock noon anchored to the variations in natural noon. Daily rotation creates the sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours with
    the time between sunrise to noon symmetrical with noon to sunset.

No need to explain further in this area as once the average 24-hour day and accurate clocks emerged, people can make the antecedent predictive 365/366-day system more accurate.

Watching Gerald and Quaddie play dueling keyboards is like watching. PARRY vs ELIZA, or two modern
    LLM chatbots having a debate.

Pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 13:28:07 2023
    To remind people, you can only be lighthearted and funny if you are intelligent and perceptive, otherwise, it is all crude.

You have all something to judge yourselves with, but then again, you have your own thing going where the world doesn't make sense for you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Sun May 21 02:15:04 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 11:03:12 AM UTC-6, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

Watching Gerald and Quaddie play dueling keyboards is like watching. PARRY vs ELIZA, or two modern

What makes you think that I am like ELIZA?

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sun May 21 02:01:02 2023
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 2:28:10 PM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

You have all something to judge yourselves with, but then again,
    you have your own thing going where the world doesn't make
    sense for you.

Yeah, right.

We believe in the truth of that mumbo-jumbo called "calculus",
    and we're also indoctrinated into believing that Isaac Newton
    gave the true explanation of the motions of the Solar System
    through mechanics and Universal Gravitation, thus completing
    the work of Kepler, to whom he was a worthy succesor.

You believe this makes us hopelessly deluded, and there seems
    to be no way I can convince you otherwise. Of course, this means
    you can't explain how it was possible to predict the orbit of
    Neptune before it was discovered, but you can just ignore that.

If the people who claim that the Apollo moon landings were faked
    were hopelessly stupid, because of all the thousands of people
    who worked on the Apollo project, and the hundreds of the world's
    most able geologists who examined the Moon rocks from Apollo...

what can I say about someone like you, who claims that Calculus
    is just mumbo-jumbo... when millions of scientists and engineers
    learned it and understood it in their first year of college, and then
    go on to apply it routinely in their work? If Calculus were just
    nonsense, voodoo that a dishonest priesthood only claims to
    be meaningful, how could it be that those who have studied it
    use it and get results?

Results that lead to airplanes flying, bridges standing up, results
    that others can reproduce - not the "results", say, obtained by the
    people who have studied and apply astrology, which is nonsense.

Calculus being voodoo is a notion that's in even more stark
    conflict with reality than the notion of the Moon landings being
    faked. It's beyond laughable. Clearly, the only basis you have for
    that claim is that *you* don't understand it. How you can manage
    to delude yourself into thinking that anyone would find that
    rationale valid... it's beyond me.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Buckley@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Sun May 21 11:39:13 2023
    On 2023-05-21, Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
    On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 11:03:12 AM UTC-6, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

John Savard

Very nice! Your posts often don't show true intelligence, but this one does.

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to Chris Buckley on Sun May 21 08:36:59 2023
    On 21 May 2023 11:39:13 GMT, Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 11:03:12?AM UTC-6, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

John Savard

Very nice! Your posts often don't show true intelligence, but this one does.

Actually, several of his responses have shown a higher level of
    intelligence than the other fellow has managed, so far.

I know, I know, it is hard to believe.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Woodward@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Sun May 21 09:35:54 2023
    In article <fjek6ih3nqc6glvehn6qtdmf1voeruspm0@4ax.com>,
    Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

On 21 May 2023 11:39:13 GMT, Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 11:03:12?AM UTC-6, pete...@gmail.com wrote: >>
    Watching Gerald and Quaddie play dueling keyboards is like watching.
    PARRY vs ELIZA, or two modern

John Savard

Very nice! Your posts often don't show true intelligence, but this one >does.

Actually, several of his responses have shown a higher level of
    intelligence than the other fellow has managed, so far.

I know, I know, it is hard to believe.

I have noticed that, on occasion, when Quadi actually posts on topic
    (i.e., about written science fiction/fantasy), he does make sense. But,
    most of the time, he is riding his hobby horses.

--
    "We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
    Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_. -------------------------------------------------------
    Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 21 10:21:21 2023
    I like science fantasy when it is separate from solar system and Earth science research, however, science fantasy indistinguishable from science fiction more or less represents the experimental or scientific method.

That is science fantasy and equivalent to a flat Earth notion or even surpasses it through contrived logic.

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their more
    accurate deducing of the celestial motions...The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

That is science fiction as it borrows from an actual timekeeping ( not 'time') facility which anchors the average 24-hour day to noon and the variations in that cycle.

It takes no effort to appreciate terrestrial and solar system surroundings along with the motions of the planet in a Sun-centred system while leaving room for creative literature and movies.

I come from the Christ and Christianity of the Johannine tradition and community so " pearls before swine" of a different tradition is contrary to the spirit/inspiration which does not isolate anyone but invites them to experience what they are born into.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hamish Laws@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sun May 21 19:53:22 2023
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 3:21:24 AM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    I like science fantasy when it is separate from solar system and Earth science research, however, science fantasy indistinguishable from science fiction more or less represents the experimental or scientific method.
    That is science fantasy and equivalent to a flat Earth notion or even surpasses it through contrived logic.

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their
    more accurate deducing of the celestial motions...The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

That is science fiction as it borrows from an actual timekeeping ( not 'time') facility which anchors the average 24-hour day to noon and the variations in that cycle.

It takes no effort to appreciate terrestrial and solar system surroundings along with the motions of the planet in a Sun-centred system while leaving room for creative literature and movies.

I come from the Christ and Christianity of the Johannine tradition and community so " pearls before swine" of a different tradition is contrary to the spirit/inspiration which does not isolate anyone but invites them to experience what they are born
    into.

you're a stupid kook who churns out word salad.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sun May 21 20:34:46 2023
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 11:21:24 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

That is science fiction as it borrows from an actual timekeeping ( not 'time') facility
    which anchors the average 24-hour day to noon and the variations in that cycle.

In your view, *time* comes from the Sun rising and setting, the stars visible in the
    night sky changing, and so on. What clocks do is merely timekeeping.

This is no longer the view that most people hold. In their view, *time* doesn't depend
    on external celestial phenomena. Instead, *time* is what answers questions like...

How long will it take for some food to spoil when I take it out of the refrigerator?

That's a very simple and prosaic example. But surely you can see, for example, that
    food won't spoil faster or slower at different times of year because of the Equation
    of Time! And so the kind of time that pendulum clocks indicate is what is applicable
    to questions like that.

Or questions of how long it will take a capacitor, charged to a certain voltage, to
    discharge through a certain resistance. So it's "timekeeping" time that gets to be
    the variable "t" in the equations used to design... a radio reciever.

Cultivating a poetic spirit so as to appreciate the beauty of the Universe is not a bad
    thing, but to place it in opposition to actually doing the math needed to build stuff
    that works... accomplishes nothing but to get you laughed at. I'm sorry I have to be
    so "dour" as to point this out, but you need to know it, to leave the destructive and
    foolish path you are following.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Sun May 21 20:26:28 2023

" It is a fact not generally known that, owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time, the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often

You, yourself, should know better than to say that.

You do know that stellar circumpolar motion has a period of approximately 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds.

You are aware that this is the period of clock drives on telescopes.

Of course, you regard this as being of no great significance, being nothing more than an "observational
    convenience". But you do know that it's there.

And so if the people at NASA and the Harvard Observatory happen to use a definition of the Earth's
    rotation that isn't the same as yours - one that measures the period of the Earth's rotation by its
    relationship to the fixed stars, and *not* to the parent Sun which it orbits...

even if you think it's an unreasonable and silly choice, it's still just choosing a different convention
    from the one you favor. They're not going out on a limb with an elaborate structure of contrived logic
    the way someone would have to in order to try justifying a flat Earth.

Of course, you don't acknowledge or accept their _reasons_ for choosing the convention that they
    do. As you are knowledgeable about timekeeping, you're probably aware that pendulum clocks
    run a bit slower when taken towards the equator - because the apparent force of gravity is
    smaller there, due to the Earth's rotation.

And to *calculate* the amount of centrifugal force that the Earth's rotation applies (of course,
    the Earth's equatorial bulge is also to be taken into account) one has to take the period of the
    Earth's rotation relative to the fixed stars, _not_ to the parent Sun. But that stuff is all Newtonian
    mechanics, and you dismiss Newton.

To dismiss Newton is risible. There are no two ways about that.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Mon May 22 05:51:42 2023
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 11:34:50 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

That is science fiction as it borrows from an actual timekeeping ( not 'time') facility
    In your view, *time* comes from the Sun rising and setting, the stars visible in the

This is no longer the view that most people hold. In their view, *time* doesn't depend
    on external celestial phenomena. Instead, *time* is what answers questions like...

How long will it take for some food to spoil when I take it out of the refrigerator?

That's a very simple and prosaic example. But surely you can see, for example, that
    food won't spoil faster or slower at different times of year because of the Equation
    of Time! And so the kind of time that pendulum clocks indicate is what is applicable
    to questions like that.

Or questions of how long it will take a capacitor, charged to a certain voltage, to
    discharge through a certain resistance. So it's "timekeeping" time that gets to be

Cultivating a poetic spirit so as to appreciate the beauty of the Universe is not a bad
    thing, but to place it in opposition to actually doing the math needed to build stuff
    that works... accomplishes nothing but to get you laughed at. I'm sorry I have to be
    so "dour" as to point this out, but you need to know it, to leave the destructive and

I looked back in his post history. Gerald's had this peculiar obsession for a very
    long time, and is unlikely to be persuaded that its trivial and unimportant any time
    soon.

pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 22 06:24:28 2023
    People here are welcome to say anything about me they like and indeed anyone who can't manage to affirm one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours equates to one rotation of the planet and a thousand rotations in a thousand 24-hour days.

Scientific facts are gorgeous as a daily, annual and life experience with always room for science fantasy until science fantasy in the 19th century ( The Time Machine) became science fiction in the early 20th century (relativity).

" Now, it is very remarkable that this is so extensively overlooked,’ continued the Time Traveller, with a slight accession of cheerfulness. ‘Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension, though some people who talk about the Fourth Dimension
    do not know they mean it. It is only another way of looking at Time. There is no difference between time and any of the three dimensions of space" HG Wells, The Time Machine, 1898

https://www.bartleby.com/lit-hub/the-time-machine-an-invention/chapter-i-42/

Intellectual pretence is boring and is basically a sign of underdeveloped adults living out fantasies created in another era. So, thanks to nuisances visiting sci.astro.amateur from this newsgroup, there isn't anyone worth listening to.

So now everyone knows the Sun tracks in opposite directions at the North/South poles and there is a reason behind it due to daily rotation and the specific way the Earth orbits the Sun. You folk curse yourselves but that is not my issue and why this
    flying visit lets me know how dull it is to live in a world completely dominated by science fiction/fantasy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Carnegie@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Mon May 22 09:25:12 2023
    On Monday, 22 May 2023 at 13:51:45 UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 11:34:50 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

to questions like that.

I looked back in his post history. Gerald's had this peculiar obsession for a very
    long time, and is unlikely to be persuaded that its trivial and unimportant any time
    soon.

What if we take the Sun away for a while? Maybe he will
    figure it out then?

I'm not saying that that wouldn't be inconvenient.
    Probably not worth the doing.

I have that feeling of being in that zone where a
    person that I'm arguing with is articulate, verbally
    abusive not to an extraordinary extent, and I come
    to suspect that we're using terms differently and
    it may even be that I and others are on the wrong
    side. Which I believe isn't the case, but, like
    Terry Austin, it's somebody, who I still presume to
    !be a human being, whose behaviour offends my
    sense of what that means.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Mon May 22 09:23:04 2023
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 9:24:31 AM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    You folk curse yourselves but that is not my issue and why this flying visit lets me know how dull it is to live in a world completely dominated by science fiction/fantasy.

On your way out, don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you.

Pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 22 10:53:16 2023
    One day, a person wakes up and sees the Sun come into view as the planet turns once every 24 hours and realises they have been missing out on the connection between their bodies and their lives to the daily, annual and other motions of the planet.

Then there are those who cannot as they are attached to the clockwork solar system and the timekeeping misadventure captured by a single statement-

The more society marvels at the body and all its working components, the more they appreciate the wider surroundings and all the motions they participate in. Science fantasy is harmless and a welcome distraction sometimes, however, when it is allied
    with science fiction like the solar/sidereal fiction above, it becomes unproductive, dull and all the negative influences on society.

Have a ball having a go at me, those who love creation and the Universe are loved in return.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Hamish Laws on Mon May 22 17:15:21 2023
    On 2023-05-21 19:53, Hamish Laws wrote:
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 3:21:24 AM UTC+10, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

"Absolute time, in astronomy, is distinguished from relative, by the equation of time. For the natural days are truly unequal, though they are commonly considered as equal and used for a measure of time; astronomers correct this inequality for their
    more accurate deducing of the celestial motions...The necessity of which equation, for determining the times of a phænomenon, is evinced as well from the experiments of the pendulum clock, as by eclipses of the satellites of Jupiter." Principia

I come from the Christ and Christianity of the Johannine tradition and community so " pearls before swine" of a different tradition is contrary to the spirit/inspiration which does not isolate anyone but invites them to experience what they are born
    into.

you're a stupid kook who churns out word salad.

Preach.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Mon May 22 20:32:18 2023
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 1:53:18 PM UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    One day, a person wakes up and sees the Sun come into view as the planet turns once every 24 hours and realises they have been missing out on the connection between their bodies and their lives to the daily, annual and other motions of the planet.

Then there are those who cannot as they are attached to the clockwork solar system and the timekeeping misadventure captured by a single statement-
    The more society marvels at the body and all its working components, the more they appreciate the wider surroundings and all the motions they participate in. Science fantasy is harmless and a welcome distraction sometimes, however, when it is allied
    with science fiction like the solar/sidereal fiction above, it becomes unproductive, dull and all the negative influences on society.

Have a ball having a go at me, those who love creation and the Universe are loved in return.

If you have such a distaste for SF, why don't you leave this group? No one finds your beliefs
    concerning sidereal vs solar time interesting, inciteful, or useful. No one here cares.

Pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Mon May 22 20:55:18 2023
    On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 11:53:18 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Then there are those who cannot as they are attached to the clockwork
    solar system and the timekeeping misadventure captured by a single
    statement-

A connection to the wider Universe is indeed something that people seek;
    it is sought in religious faith, it is sought in the nonsense of astrology, and Carl Sagan, by noting that the heavier elements in our bodies were formed
    in distant stars long ago, in the statement "we are stardust", sought to
    show that science could offer such a connection.

Our daily personal lives are certainly affected by the cycle of day and night.

And that cycle is indeed caused by the rotation of the Earth.

How a matter of definition - whether if the Earth _didn't_ rotate, one
    side of the Earth would always face the Sun, as Mercury was once
    believed to behave, or the Sun would rise and set once a year - would
    make or break that connection, however, is not readily apparent to me.

And that the second definition, the one you reject, happens to be
    useful for calculations - which use the physical laws set forth
    by Newton - which *work*, and let us do useful things, so they're
    confirmed in scientific and engineering practice. So they're not
    going anywhere, and it's not because we're insensitive to higher
    reality. It's because you don't know math and science, and you don't
    care to change that.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Mon May 22 22:16:14 2023
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 4:32:21 AM UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

If you have such a distaste for SF, why don't you leave this group? No one finds your beliefs
    concerning sidereal vs solar time interesting, inciteful, or useful. No one here cares.

Pt

I don't have any distaste for people, however, students today have a chance to escape your zombie-like fate where you can't accept that one rotation creates one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours hence you live in a science fantasy world with no
    connection to your surroundings.

It is more a human horror newsgroup here insofar as normally imaginative science fantasy has a role in society yet without an appreciation of basic planetary facts, it becomes one long boring attempt to figuratively bite someone demonstrating the joys of
    the Universe as it really exists.

The solar/sidereal fantasy is a signature of a lost soul otherwise it a stupid conclusion drawn from a timekeeping misadventure. If it is any consolation, in future, your subculture will represent a lesson of sorts for generations to come.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to rja.carnegie@excite.com on Tue May 23 08:41:58 2023
    On Mon, 22 May 2023 09:25:12 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

On Monday, 22 May 2023 at 13:51:45 UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 11:34:50?PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
    On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 11:21:24?AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

to questions like that.

soon.

What if we take the Sun away for a while? Maybe he will
    figure it out then?

I'm not saying that that wouldn't be inconvenient.
    Probably not worth the doing.

Did you miss his reference to "the Christ and Christianity of the
    Johannine tradition"? I did, until I noticed it quoted by someone
    else.

This is an argument from religion, not science.

And, to the extent that it masquerades as science, is deceptive.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Tue May 23 16:13:42 2023
    Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> writes:
    On Sun, 21 May 2023 10:21:21 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher ><kelleher.gerald@gmail.com> wrote:

IOW, you are promoting religion rather than science. That explains a
    lot.

Nothing wrong with that

Actually, that's debatable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to jsavard@ecn.ab.ca on Tue May 23 08:43:52 2023
    On Mon, 22 May 2023 20:55:18 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
    <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 11:53:18?AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    One day, a person wakes up and sees the Sun come into view as the planet
    turns once every 24 hours and realises they have been missing out on the
    connection between their bodies and their lives to the daily, annual and
    other motions of the planet.

Then there are those who cannot as they are attached to the clockwork
    solar system and the timekeeping misadventure captured by a single
    statement-

" It is a fact not generally known that, owing to the difference between
    solar and sidereal time, the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often

A connection to the wider Universe is indeed something that people seek;
    it is sought in religious faith, it is sought in the nonsense of astrology, and
    Carl Sagan, by noting that the heavier elements in our bodies were formed
    in distant stars long ago, in the statement "we are stardust", sought to
    show that science could offer such a connection.

Our daily personal lives are certainly affected by the cycle of day and night.

And that cycle is indeed caused by the rotation of the Earth.

How a matter of definition - whether if the Earth _didn't_ rotate, one
    side of the Earth would always face the Sun, as Mercury was once
    believed to behave, or the Sun would rise and set once a year - would
    make or break that connection, however, is not readily apparent to me.

And that the second definition, the one you reject, happens to be
    useful for calculations - which use the physical laws set forth
    by Newton - which *work*, and let us do useful things, so they're
    confirmed in scientific and engineering practice. So they're not
    going anywhere, and it's not because we're insensitive to higher
    reality. It's because you don't know math and science, and you don't
    care to change that.

He has revealed himself as being a religious writer, not a scientific
    one. By confusing the two he is led to reject any part of science that
    he believes to be incompatible with his religion.
    n
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to kelleher.gerald@gmail.com on Tue May 23 08:39:22 2023
    On Sun, 21 May 2023 10:21:21 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher <kelleher.gerald@gmail.com> wrote:

into.

lot.

Nothing wrong with that -- as long as you don't pretend to be
    promoting science.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Carnegie@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Tue May 23 18:52:26 2023
    On Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 16:44:10 UTC+1, Paul S Person wrote:
    On Mon, 22 May 2023 09:25:12 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
    [Gerald Kelleher]
    Did you miss his reference to "the Christ and Christianity of the
    Johannine tradition"? I did, until I noticed it quoted by someone
    else.

This is an argument from religion, not science.

And, to the extent that it masquerades as science, is deceptive.

Oh - in that case, apparent remarks of St Augustine apply.
    Gerald may not like St Augustine, however.

As from
    <https://harvardichthus.org/2010/09/augustine-on-faith-and-science/>

"Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the
    earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world,
    about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size
    and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the
    sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons,
    about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth,
    and this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason
    and experience.

"Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel
    to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of
    Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we
    should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing
    situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a
    Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much
    that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside
    the household of faith think our sacred writers held such
    opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation
    we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected
    as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field
    which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining
    his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to
    believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of
    the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven,
    when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts
    which they themselves have learnt from experience and the
    light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of
    Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser
    brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false
    opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by
    the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly
    foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon
    Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many
    passages which they think support their position, although
    'they understand neither what they say nor the things about
    which they make assertion' [1 Timothy 1.7]."
    (The Literal Meaning of Genesis, Book 1 Chapter 19 Paragraph 39)

Gerald: Augustine thinks you're embarrassing.

And St Thomas Aquinas is quoted as follows.
    "The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among
    the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary
    scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific
    scrutiny shows to be false."

Here I say that I don't worship gods. I don't take it very
    badly when a Christian or anyone else says casually that
    the Earth turns around in 86,400 SI seconds - 24 hours.
    That statement is accurate to the nearest hour, and
    I expect someone to understand and accept an explanation
    of its deviation from the actual fact. The mischief that
    Augustine mentions arises when a Christian speaker
    declares it and a follower decides that they, the follower,
    are obliged to insist on its absolute truth, and to defend it
    from evidence and reason. Their leader may have done
    this accidentally, or deliberately, because if you can compel
    your follower to believe an untruth, then you control their
    will absolutely. Or it may be an accident. The leader is not
    necessarily wise in astrophysics. In that case, they should
    be humble.

However, "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
    doesn't go away." The movement of the Earth proceeds
    without depending on your belief about it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Robert Carnegie on Wed May 24 03:00:27 2023
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:52:29 PM UTC-6, Robert Carnegie wrote:

That is true.

But for the most part, he does not claim that the Earth moves in
    any way that is different from the way it actually does move.

All he does is claim that the way scientists today think about these
    motions is wrong. For example, astronomers say the Earth rotates
    once every 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds.

Why not just once every 24 hours?

Well, because counting rotation relative to the fixed stars lets one
    calculate centrifugal force correctly. And if one used rotation relative
    to the actual Sun instead of the mean sun, one would have to keep
    adding and then subtracting the correction for the Equation of Time.

He doesn't know the math, and he doesn't do the math, so he
    has no sympathy for how compound motions need to be decomposed
    into their individual components to allow calculations to be manageable.

Instead of calculating, we should just look up and be inspired by the
    awe and wonder of the Universe! Sorry, we only get to do that on our
    days off.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Quadibloc@21:1/5 to Quadibloc on Wed May 24 03:27:20 2023
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 4:00:31 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:52:29 PM UTC-6, Robert Carnegie wrote:

That is true.

Well, because counting rotation relative to the fixed stars lets one calculate centrifugal force correctly. And if one used rotation relative

days off.

For an on-topic observation... this passage from Tolkien's _The Lord
    of the Rings_ had been disturbing to me.

"Radagast the Brown! " laughed Saruman, and he no longer concealed his
    scorn. "Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet
    he had just the wit to play the part that I set him. For you have come, and that was all the purpose of my message. And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours! "
    'I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not
    so, but were woven of all colours. and if he moved they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered.
    "I liked white better," I said.
    "White! " he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be
    dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken." "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a
    thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

It seemed as though Tolkien were... taking a dig at Isaac Newton and
    his experiments with light and prisms. And while Saruman is undoubtedly
    evil, what Newton did was right and proper, and added greatly to our understanding of light.

John Savard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 24 08:17:31 2023
    The qualifier is always that one rotation of the Earth is responsible for the sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours so those who imagine differently can say anything they like to me and about me or indeed misuse others, like Augustine, who were
    unaware of cause and effect while admitting so.

"Some of the brethren raise a question concerning the motion of
    heaven, whether it is fixed or moved. If it is moved, they say, how is
    it a firmament? If it stands still, how do these stars which are held
    fixed in it go round from east to west, the more northerly performing
    shorter circuits near the pole, so that the heaven (if there is
    another pole unknown to us) may seem to revolve upon some axis, or (if
    there is no other pole) may be thought to move as a discus? To these
    men I reply that it would require many subtle and profound reasonings
    to find out which of these things is actually so" St Augustine

Cause and effect are one rotation equates to one day/night cycle every 24 hours derived from specific reasoning, the next step up is the cause of the variations in the natural noon cycle as two rotations of the planet acting in combination are
    responsible for that observation taken from one complete noon cycle to the next. That takes profound reasoning and took quite some time but even though I cracked it almost two decades ago, few would know it due to the prevailing absence of reasonable
    people. It was something neither Copernicus nor Galileo could resolve as Galileo points out-

"From what I see, did not understand very well- was a certain experiment which I exhibited to some gentlemen there at Rome, and perhaps at the very house of Your Excellency, in partial explanation and partial refutation of the "third motion" attributed
    by Copernicus to the earth. This extra rotation, opposite in direction to all other celestial motions, appeared to many a most improbable thing, and one that upset the whole Copernican system. . . . What I said was designed to remove a difficulty
    attributed to the Copernican system, and I later added that anyone who would reflect upon the matter more carefully would see that Copernicus had spoken falsely when he attributed his "third motion" to the earth since this would not be a motion at all,
    but a kind of rest. It is certainly true that to the person holding the bowl, such a ball appears to move with respect to himself and to the bowl and to turn upon its axis. But with respect to the wan (or any other external thing), the ball does not turn
    at all, and does not change its tilt, and any point upon it will continue to point toward the same distant object" Galileo, The Assayer.

Science, or basically solar system and Earth science research is a lot of fun first and foremost even if it is beyond those who lack the perceptive ability to appreciate the intricacies involved yet eventually can be explained easily enough with visuals.

Spirit and Inspiration are the same thing just as being Spiritual is to be Inspirational. Love the Universe as an individual and the Universe will love the individual back as the gifts belong to God/Spirit, but all the challenges belong to us-

"And now, brother, listen to the conclusion. Above all the graces and all the gifts of the Holy Spirit which Christ grants to his friends, is the grace of overcoming oneself, and accepting willingly, out of love for Christ, all suffering, injury,
    discomfort and contempt; for in all other gifts of God we cannot glory, seeing they proceed not from ourselves but from God" St Francis of Assisi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to jsavard@ecn.ab.ca on Wed May 24 09:16:12 2023
    On Wed, 24 May 2023 03:27:20 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
    <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 4:00:31?AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:52:29?PM UTC-6, Robert Carnegie wrote:

That is true.

days off.

"Radagast the Brown! " laughed Saruman, and he no longer concealed his
    scorn. "Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet >he had just the wit to play the part that I set him. For you have come, and >that was all the purpose of my message. And here you will stay, Gandalf the >Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, >Saruman of Many Colours! "
    so, but were woven of all colours. and if he moved they shimmered and changed
    hue so that the eye was bewildered.
    dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken." >"In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a

his experiments with light and prisms. And while Saruman is undoubtedly
    evil, what Newton did was right and proper, and added greatly to our >understanding of light.

While I doubt that it was that specific, JRRT preferred the unaltered countryside to the mechanical city. The /Orcs/ are good at inventing mechanisms; Saruman developed gunpowder (or something like it); the
    good guys were much more traditional. The Dwarves /discovered/ mithril
    as an ore; they did not invent it as a metal.

Also keep in mind that these are Maiar and, in their natural state as
    "angelic beings", might not need to break a thing to find out what it
    is.

Some have pointed out that, until not so far back as all that, there
    were people among us who went from horses being the main means of transportation to airplanes. JRRT was one of those people, and, like
    many, longed for the Days of His Youth to return. Preferably without
    WWI, of course.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul S Person@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 24 09:19:15 2023
    On Tue, 23 May 2023 16:13:42 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
    wrote:

Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> writes:
    On Sun, 21 May 2023 10:21:21 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher >><kelleher.gerald@gmail.com> wrote:

lot.

Nothing wrong with that

Actually, that's debatable.

Everybody does it. Well, almost everybody.

Keep in mind that "religion" in the context of argumentation is
    composed of statements that can neither be proved nor falsified. Most
    political statements, including all culture war statements, on /all/
    sides, have that quality. This is what makes it so hard to find a
    consensus or even discuss the issues: its all religion, and so
    impervious to argument.
    --
    of family right."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to Paul S Person on Wed May 24 11:32:52 2023
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 12:16:19 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote:
    <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

That is true.

calculate centrifugal force correctly. And if one used rotation relative >> to the actual Sun instead of the mean sun, one would have to keep

into their individual components to allow calculations to be manageable. >>
    days off.

"Radagast the Brown! " laughed Saruman, and he no longer concealed his >scorn. "Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet
    he had just the wit to play the part that I set him. For you have come, and >that was all the purpose of my message. And here you will stay, Gandalf the >Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker,
    Saruman of Many Colours! "
    dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."
    "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a

his experiments with light and prisms. And while Saruman is undoubtedly >evil, what Newton did was right and proper, and added greatly to our >understanding of light.

And for that matter, Newton also used prisms to create white light, showing that
    what he had disassembled he could put back together. One up on Saruman there.

[...]

were people among us who went from horses being the main means of transportation to airplanes. JRRT was one of those people, and, like
    WWI, of course.

I wonder how the WWI battlefields would have inspired JRRT had he gone on with sequels.
    Apparently there is a substantial "red zone" in Northern France where people are not allowed to
    live or farm. Much of it is covered in woods of which he would at first approve, but a closer
    look shows the areato be toxic, with orders of magnitude more arsenic and aluminum perchlorate
    than people can tolerate. If any of those trees bear fruit, it is toxic. Reminds me of the unnatural
    plants in Morgul vale.

Within the red zone is an area of about one hundred square kilometers where nothing
    but lichen will grow. Remediation processes are slow enough that one estimate was that this would take five hundred years to be habitable.

Outside the red zone is a far larger yellow zone where farming is allowed. But even here
    all is not well, and there are hot spots as bad as the red zone.

And of course there's the unexploded ammunition problem. Vast amounts of this are recovered each year, and people still die from it. Not a problem for Mordor,
    I suppose.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to William Hyde on Wed May 24 14:51:29 2023
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 2:32:56 PM UTC-4, William Hyde wrote:

That is true.

Instead of calculating, we should just look up and be inspired by the >> awe and wonder of the Universe! Sorry, we only get to do that on our
    days off.

"Radagast the Brown! " laughed Saruman, and he no longer concealed his >scorn. "Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet
    he had just the wit to play the part that I set him. For you have come, and
    that was all the purpose of my message. And here you will stay, Gandalf the
    Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker,
    "White! " he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be >dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."
    "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a >thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

his experiments with light and prisms. And while Saruman is undoubtedly >evil, what Newton did was right and proper, and added greatly to our >understanding of light.
    And for that matter, Newton also used prisms to create white light, showing that

[...]
    WWI, of course.
    I wonder how the WWI battlefields would have inspired JRRT had he gone on with sequels.
    Apparently there is a substantial "red zone" in Northern France where people are not allowed to
    live or farm. Much of it is covered in woods of which he would at first approve, but a closer
    look shows the areato be toxic, with orders of magnitude more arsenic and aluminum perchlorate
    than people can tolerate. If any of those trees bear fruit, it is toxic. Reminds me of the unnatural
    plants in Morgul vale.

Within the red zone is an area of about one hundred square kilometers where nothing
    but lichen will grow. Remediation processes are slow enough that one estimate
    was that this would take five hundred years to be habitable.

Outside the red zone is a far larger yellow zone where farming is allowed. But even here

And of course there's the unexploded ammunition problem. Vast amounts of this
    are recovered each year, and people still die from it. Not a problem for Mordor,
    I suppose.

William Hyde

Details here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqwkVS3VzpA

Most of the red zone looks pretty normal from a distance, but there is one area of a few dozen acres that's as bad as you say - it was used for some early remediation efforts and vast numbers of shells and other munitions
    were burned there, including poison gas shells.

pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alan@21:1/5 to Gerald Kelleher on Wed May 24 21:15:59 2023
    On 2023-05-22 22:16, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 4:32:21 AM UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

Pt

I don't have any distaste for people, however, students today have a chance to escape your zombie-like fate where you can't accept that one rotation creates one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle every 24 hours hence you live in a science fantasy world with no
    connection to your surroundings.

It is more a human horror newsgroup here insofar as normally imaginative science fantasy has a role in society yet without an appreciation of basic planetary facts, it becomes one long boring attempt to figuratively bite someone demonstrating the joys
    of the Universe as it really exists.

The solar/sidereal fantasy is a signature of a lost soul otherwise it a stupid conclusion drawn from a timekeeping misadventure. If it is any consolation, in future, your subculture will represent a lesson of sorts for generations to come.

You are...

...just boring.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gerald Kelleher@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 25 00:59:17 2023

Aldebaran is heading for a heliacal rising as it transitions from left to right of the Sun or from an evening to morning appearance.

The distance from the observer to the horizon acts like a giant Sun visor so any star to the right of the Sun as it appears as a first dawn appearance is a property of the Earth's orbital motion just as Sirius provided the reference for the beginning of
    a New Year in antiquity and the basis of the 365/366 day calendar cycle-

".. on account of the procession of the rising of Sirius by one day in the course of 4 years,.. therefore it shall be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day shall be from this day after every 4 years added to the 5
    epagomenae before the new year" Canopus Decree 238 BC

That is magnificent, exquisite and all those things that observers are supposed to admire with observations, interpretations and even practical purposes like timekeeping.

There are no swine out there, just those people who haven't used their perceptive faculties and prefer to live in a fantasy world which satisfies their needs. Others need a genuine appreciation of their surroundings in its power, gentleness, ferocity,
    calmness and all those things which are also part of a human individual.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Carnegie@21:1/5 to William Hyde on Thu May 25 11:39:53 2023
    On Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 19:32:56 UTC+1, William Hyde wrote:

That is true.

Instead of calculating, we should just look up and be inspired by the >> awe and wonder of the Universe! Sorry, we only get to do that on our
    days off.

"White! " he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be >dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."
    "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a >thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

[...]
    WWI, of course.
    look shows the area to be toxic, with orders of magnitude more arsenic and aluminum perchlorate
    plants in Morgul vale.

are recovered each year, and people still die from it. Not a problem for Mordor,
    I suppose.

Extremely interested people know that Tolkien served
    in the First World War and his children served in the
    Second. Evidently he'd seen desolation. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to pete...@gmail.com on Thu May 25 12:22:05 2023
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 5:51:32 PM UTC-4, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:52:29?PM UTC-6, Robert Carnegie wrote: >>
    That is true.

All he does is claim that the way scientists today think about these >> motions is wrong. For example, astronomers say the Earth rotates

Well, because counting rotation relative to the fixed stars lets one >> calculate centrifugal force correctly. And if one used rotation relative
    adding and then subtracting the correction for the Equation of Time. >>

Instead of calculating, we should just look up and be inspired by the >> awe and wonder of the Universe! Sorry, we only get to do that on our >> days off.

For an on-topic observation... this passage from Tolkien's _The Lord >of the Rings_ had been disturbing to me.

It seemed as though Tolkien were... taking a dig at Isaac Newton and >his experiments with light and prisms. And while Saruman is undoubtedly >evil, what Newton did was right and proper, and added greatly to our >understanding of light.

[...]
    Some have pointed out that, until not so far back as all that, there were people among us who went from horses being the main means of transportation to airplanes. JRRT was one of those people, and, like many, longed for the Days of His Youth to return. Preferably without WWI, of course.
    plants in Morgul vale.

I suppose.

William Hyde

Most of the red zone looks pretty normal from a distance, but there is one area of a few dozen acres that's as bad as you say - it was used for some early remediation efforts and vast numbers of shells and other munitions were burned there, including poison gas shells.

Thanks.

Smaller than I thought then, good. But in that case I don't see why remediation will take
    700 years. But from the video I gather that the place a gaz, in particular, is far more
    poisoned than I thought, and the yellow zone seems to contain more bad areas than
    I knew.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lynn McGuire@21:1/5 to William Hyde on Thu May 25 21:10:40 2023
    On 5/25/2023 2:22 PM, William Hyde wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 12:16:19 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote: >>>> On Wed, 24 May 2023 03:27:20 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc

On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:52:29?PM UTC-6, Robert Carnegie wrote: >>>>>>
    That is true.

All he does is claim that the way scientists today think about these >>>>>> motions is wrong. For example, astronomers say the Earth rotates

Well, because counting rotation relative to the fixed stars lets one >>>>>> calculate centrifugal force correctly. And if one used rotation relative >>>>>> to the actual Sun instead of the mean sun, one would have to keep
    adding and then subtracting the correction for the Equation of Time. >>>>>>
    into their individual components to allow calculations to be manageable. >>>>>>
    Instead of calculating, we should just look up and be inspired by the >>>>>> awe and wonder of the Universe! Sorry, we only get to do that on our >>>>>> days off.

For an on-topic observation... this passage from Tolkien's _The Lord >>>>> of the Rings_ had been disturbing to me.

"Radagast the Brown! " laughed Saruman, and he no longer concealed his >>>>> scorn. "Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet
    'I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not >>>>> so, but were woven of all colours. and if he moved they shimmered and changed
    dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."
    "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a >>>>> thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

It seemed as though Tolkien were... taking a dig at Isaac Newton and >>>>> his experiments with light and prisms. And while Saruman is undoubtedly >>>>> evil, what Newton did was right and proper, and added greatly to our >>>>> understanding of light.

[...]
    were people among us who went from horses being the main means of
    transportation to airplanes. JRRT was one of those people, and, like
    WWI, of course.
    plants in Morgul vale.

I suppose.

William Hyde

Most of the red zone looks pretty normal from a distance, but there is one >> area of a few dozen acres that's as bad as you say - it was used for some
    early remediation efforts and vast numbers of shells and other munitions
    were burned there, including poison gas shells.

Thanks.

Smaller than I thought then, good. But in that case I don't see why remediation will take
    700 years. But from the video I gather that the place a gaz, in particular, is far more
    poisoned than I thought, and the yellow zone seems to contain more bad areas than
    I knew.

William Hyde

Sounds worse than Chernobyl.

Lynn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Lynn McGuire on Fri May 26 05:30:25 2023
    On Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 10:11:46 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    On 5/25/2023 2:22 PM, William Hyde wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 12:16:19 PM UTC-4, Paul S Person wrote: >>>> On Wed, 24 May 2023 03:27:20 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc

On Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 4:00:31?AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote: >>>>>> On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 7:52:29?PM UTC-6, Robert Carnegie wrote: >>>>>>
    However, "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, >>>>>>> doesn't go away." The movement of the Earth proceeds
    That is true.

But for the most part, he does not claim that the Earth moves in >>>>>> any way that is different from the way it actually does move.

All he does is claim that the way scientists today think about these >>>>>> motions is wrong. For example, astronomers say the Earth rotates >>>>>> once every 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds.

Well, because counting rotation relative to the fixed stars lets one >>>>>> calculate centrifugal force correctly. And if one used rotation relative
    to the actual Sun instead of the mean sun, one would have to keep >>>>>> adding and then subtracting the correction for the Equation of Time. >>>>>>

Instead of calculating, we should just look up and be inspired by the >>>>>> awe and wonder of the Universe! Sorry, we only get to do that on our >>>>>> days off.

For an on-topic observation... this passage from Tolkien's _The Lord >>>>> of the Rings_ had been disturbing to me.

"Radagast the Brown! " laughed Saruman, and he no longer concealed his >>>>> scorn. "Radagast the Bird-tamer! Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool! Yet
    "White! " he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be >>>>> dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."
    "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a >>>>> thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

It seemed as though Tolkien were... taking a dig at Isaac Newton and >>>>> his experiments with light and prisms. And while Saruman is undoubtedly
    evil, what Newton did was right and proper, and added greatly to our >>>>> understanding of light.

[...]
    Some have pointed out that, until not so far back as all that, there >>>> were people among us who went from horses being the main means of
    transportation to airplanes. JRRT was one of those people, and, like >>>> many, longed for the Days of His Youth to return. Preferably without >>>> WWI, of course.
    plants in Morgul vale.

I suppose.

William Hyde

Most of the red zone looks pretty normal from a distance, but there is one
    area of a few dozen acres that's as bad as you say - it was used for some >> early remediation efforts and vast numbers of shells and other munitions >> were burned there, including poison gas shells.

Thanks.

I knew.

William Hyde

I look at the pockmarked fields of the Donbas, and wonder how long it will be before
    they're safe to farm.

Its not the shells that exploded, producing a visible crater that's the problem. Its the
    anti-tank and personnel mines, along with the shells that buried themselves without
    exploding.

This is a second layer for the area - much of it saw heavy action during WW2.

pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Horny Goat@21:1/5 to lynnmcguire5@gmail.com on Fri May 26 09:15:41 2023
    On Thu, 25 May 2023 21:10:40 -0500, Lynn McGuire
    <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

I knew.

William Hyde

Worse than a nuclear plant just inside the Russia/Belarus - Ukrainian
    border? Wow that's pretty bad...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Lurndal@21:1/5 to The Horny Goat on Fri May 26 16:29:42 2023
    The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
    <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

I knew.

William Hyde

Worse than a nuclear plant just inside the Russia/Belarus - Ukrainian
    border? Wow that's pretty bad...

As I understand it the biggest problem in Northern France is the
    tens of thousands of unexploded shells (both chemical and explosive)
    still buried. At the current rate of removal (100's per year), it
    will take 700 years to completely clear them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to Scott Lurndal on Fri May 26 11:07:27 2023
    On Friday, May 26, 2023 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> writes:
    <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I knew.

William Hyde

Worse than a nuclear plant just inside the Russia/Belarus - Ukrainian >border? Wow that's pretty bad...

The "Iron Harvest". Over a thousand tons per year in France and Belgium.

Apparently shells from WWI can still explode, and with detonators in a deteriorated state they
    can be set off by a mild bump. Gas shells may well be a worse problem, though.

Apparently in Germany fifteen pieces of unexploded ordinance are found per day, on average.

It seems we humans can create quite a mess, even without nukes.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From petertrei@gmail.com@21:1/5 to William Hyde on Fri May 26 22:17:34 2023
    On Friday, May 26, 2023 at 2:07:31 PM UTC-4, William Hyde wrote:
    On Friday, May 26, 2023 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> writes:
    <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I knew.

William Hyde

Worse than a nuclear plant just inside the Russia/Belarus - Ukrainian >border? Wow that's pretty bad...
    The "Iron Harvest". Over a thousand tons per year in France and Belgium.

Apparently shells from WWI can still explode, and with detonators in a deteriorated state they
    can be set off by a mild bump. Gas shells may well be a worse problem, though.

Apparently in Germany fifteen pieces of unexploded ordinance are found per day, on average.

It seems we humans can create quite a mess, even without nukes.

There's also several kilotons of amminol still under Messines Ridge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQQhItkvlk

Pt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05