• The Good Mother (US) 2023

From william ahearn@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 28 22:44:57 2023
    Hey,

Wiki described the plot:
    "After the murder of her estranged son, journalist Marissa Bennings forms an unusual alliance with his pregnant girlfriend to track down those responsible for his death. Together, they confront a realm of narcotics and dishonesty within the city of
    Albany, unearthing a deeper, more sinister revelation."

An interesting premise -- that the cine-wannabes would call "neo-noir" -- that doesn't unfold as much as it staggers and reels. There is a good film somewhere in all that footage and sometimes it fights itself to exert it.

Hillary Swank tries but can't carry this mess.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bill Anderson@21:1/5 to william ahearn on Sun Oct 29 21:58:09 2023
    william ahearn <wlahearn@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hey,

Wiki described the plot:
    "After the murder of her estranged son, journalist Marissa Bennings forms
    an unusual alliance with his pregnant girlfriend to track down those responsible for his death. Together, they confront a realm of narcotics
    and dishonesty within the city of Albany, unearthing a deeper, more sinister revelation."

An interesting premise -- that the cine-wannabes would call "neo-noir" -- that doesn't unfold as much as it staggers and reels. There is a good
    film somewhere in all that footage and sometimes it fights itself to exert it.

Hillary Swank tries but can't carry this mess.

I had read about this one and it sounded intriguing so I was disappointed
    to read your reaction. I thought maybe you were being unfair so I went to Rotten Tomatoes where I discovered the movie has a 20% rating and the “critics consensus“ paragraph could have been plagiarized from what you wrote. Look:

The Good Mother has dramatic potential, a talented cast, and deals with important subjects -- but none of that's enough to compensate for the
    movie's drearily underwhelming story.

I will pass. Thanks.

--
    Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)