• Conflicts of interest.

From John Bowes@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 18 19:48:47 2023
    Many years ago any minister f the Crown who had worked in an industry or government department could be sure they weren't going to get a portfolio covering their old employment area. Why? To make sure there was no conflict of interest.
    Now can one of you clever people in this ng tell me why Labour is no longer doing this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gordon@21:1/5 to Crash on Mon Jun 19 03:40:10 2023
    On 2023-06-19, Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote:
    On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:48:47 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes
    <bowesjohn02@gmail.com> wrote:

Many years ago any minister f the Crown who had worked in an industry or government department could be sure they weren't going to get a portfolio covering their old employment area. Why? To make sure there was no conflict of interest.
    Now can one of you clever people in this ng tell me why Labour is no longer doing this?

John - can you give some context for this? RD Muldoon was a chartered accountant and eventually Minister of Finance. I am sure that many
    ministers have been professionally qualified in their ministerial
    portfolios and I struggle to understand why this would be considered a conflict of interest.

This is one of those tricky ones. Perception of the situation by the public comes into it.

If you have an honest Minister then probably hard to argue that there is a conflict of interest. However in the last 5 years the Governments around the world have distoryed a great of the trust the public had in them. That does
    not address the question as to why Labour are acting as they are. They have done some other suprising things (co-governance as an example ) which are somewhat questionable at least.

Having slammed these in the peoples face, so to speak, and gotten away with
    it they have got into the habit of doing what they are sure will be good for the country, and to hell with wether or not the people are being brought
    along.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Crash@21:1/5 to Gordon on Mon Jun 19 15:47:59 2023
    On 19 Jun 2023 03:40:10 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:48:47 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes >><bowesjohn02@gmail.com> wrote:

John - can you give some context for this? RD Muldoon was a chartered
    accountant and eventually Minister of Finance. I am sure that many
    portfolios and I struggle to understand why this would be considered a
    conflict of interest.

This is one of those tricky ones. Perception of the situation by the public >comes into it.

If you have an honest Minister then probably hard to argue that there is a >conflict of interest. However in the last 5 years the Governments around the >world have distoryed a great of the trust the public had in them. That does >not address the question as to why Labour are acting as they are. They have >done some other suprising things (co-governance as an example ) which are >somewhat questionable at least.

Having slammed these in the peoples face, so to speak, and gotten away with >it they have got into the habit of doing what they are sure will be good for >the country, and to hell with wether or not the people are being brought >along.

While what you say is correct, in his original post John Bowes said
    something else - that being a professionally qualified MP in any
    particular field meant that portfolios in that field could not be held
    by said MP because it gave rise to a conflict of interest. I cited a
    historic example and queried how there could be a conflict of interest
    from it.

--
    Crash McBash

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Crash@21:1/5 to bowesjohn02@gmail.com on Mon Jun 19 15:23:11 2023

John - can you give some context for this? RD Muldoon was a chartered accountant and eventually Minister of Finance. I am sure that many
    conflict of interest.

--
    Crash McBash

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 19 16:57:51 2023
    On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:47:59 +1200, Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid>
    wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:48:47 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes >>><bowesjohn02@gmail.com> wrote:

conflict of interest.

This is one of those tricky ones. Perception of the situation by the public >>comes into it.

If you have an honest Minister then probably hard to argue that there is a >>conflict of interest. However in the last 5 years the Governments around the >>world have distoryed a great of the trust the public had in them. That does >>not address the question as to why Labour are acting as they are. They have >>done some other suprising things (co-governance as an example ) which are >>somewhat questionable at least.

Having slammed these in the peoples face, so to speak, and gotten away with >>it they have got into the habit of doing what they are sure will be good for >>the country, and to hell with wether or not the people are being brought >>along.

by said MP because it gave rise to a conflict of interest. I cited a >historic example and queried how there could be a conflict of interest
    from it.

Certainly it is quite common for a Minister of Agriculture to either
    have been involved in farming or represent a rural electorate, it is
    common for the Attorney-General or Minister of Justice to have legal qualifications; all Ministers of Education have been to school, but
    some have been teachers before becoming an MP. It would be helpful if
    John could give a few examples of what concerns him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Bowes@21:1/5 to Crash on Sun Jun 18 22:31:08 2023
    On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 3:48:00 PM UTC+12, Crash wrote:
    On 19 Jun 2023 03:40:10 GMT, Gordon <Gor...@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

On 2023-06-19, Crash <nog...@dontbother.invalid> wrote:
    On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:48:47 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes >><bowes...@gmail.com> wrote:

conflict of interest.

This is one of those tricky ones. Perception of the situation by the public >comes into it.

If you have an honest Minister then probably hard to argue that there is a >conflict of interest. However in the last 5 years the Governments around the
    world have distoryed a great of the trust the public had in them. That does >not address the question as to why Labour are acting as they are. They have >done some other suprising things (co-governance as an example ) which are >somewhat questionable at least.

Having slammed these in the peoples face, so to speak, and gotten away with >it they have got into the habit of doing what they are sure will be good for
    the country, and to hell with wether or not the people are being brought >along.
    While what you say is correct, in his original post John Bowes said something else - that being a professionally qualified MP in any
    by said MP because it gave rise to a conflict of interest. I cited a historic example and queried how there could be a conflict of interest
    from it.

--
    Crash McBash
    Remember a cabinet minister doesn't need to have any knowledge of their portfolios because they have a department with a bunch of qualified folk to keep them up to speed. In fact I'd go so far as to say if a minister was qualified their knowledge could
    skew their acceptance of the advice given.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Bowes@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 18 22:23:33 2023
    On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 4:59:37 PM UTC+12, Rich80105 wrote:
    On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:47:59 +1200, Crash <nog...@dontbother.invalid>
    wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:48:47 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes >>><bowes...@gmail.com> wrote:

John - can you give some context for this? RD Muldoon was a chartered >>> accountant and eventually Minister of Finance. I am sure that many
    portfolios and I struggle to understand why this would be considered a >>> conflict of interest.

This is one of those tricky ones. Perception of the situation by the public
    comes into it.

If you have an honest Minister then probably hard to argue that there is a >>conflict of interest. However in the last 5 years the Governments around the
    world have distoryed a great of the trust the public had in them. That does
    not address the question as to why Labour are acting as they are. They have
    done some other suprising things (co-governance as an example ) which are >>somewhat questionable at least.

Having slammed these in the peoples face, so to speak, and gotten away with
    it they have got into the habit of doing what they are sure will be good for
    the country, and to hell with wether or not the people are being brought >>along.

While what you say is correct, in his original post John Bowes said >something else - that being a professionally qualified MP in any >particular field meant that portfolios in that field could not be held
    by said MP because it gave rise to a conflict of interest. I cited a >historic example and queried how there could be a conflict of interest >from it.
    common for the Attorney-General or Minister of Justice to have legal qualifications; all Ministers of Education have been to school, but
    Please give cites prior to 2017 of these examples Rich.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Bowes@21:1/5 to Crash on Sun Jun 18 22:21:57 2023
    On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 3:23:12 PM UTC+12, Crash wrote:
    <bowes...@gmail.com> wrote:

portfolios and I struggle to understand why this would be considered a conflict of interest.

--
    Crash McBash
    I learnt that when Muldoon was PM. An uncle of mine Bert Walker had been a post master. When I questioned him about why he wasn't post master general he told me it wouldn't happen. After another why from me he explained it was to prevent conflicts of
    interest in the promotion of members of the post office.
    I'd suggest Minister of Finance is probably a position where a minister was unable to promote his croy's ;)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Crash@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 19 19:40:46 2023
    On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:57:51 +1200, Rich80105 <Rich80105@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:47:59 +1200, Crash <nogood@dontbother.invalid>
    wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:48:47 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes >>>><bowesjohn02@gmail.com> wrote:

John - can you give some context for this? RD Muldoon was a chartered >>>> accountant and eventually Minister of Finance. I am sure that many
    portfolios and I struggle to understand why this would be considered a >>>> conflict of interest.

This is one of those tricky ones. Perception of the situation by the public >>>comes into it.

If you have an honest Minister then probably hard to argue that there is a >>>conflict of interest. However in the last 5 years the Governments around the >>>world have distoryed a great of the trust the public had in them. That does >>>not address the question as to why Labour are acting as they are. They have >>>done some other suprising things (co-governance as an example ) which are >>>somewhat questionable at least.

Having slammed these in the peoples face, so to speak, and gotten away with >>>it they have got into the habit of doing what they are sure will be good for >>>the country, and to hell with wether or not the people are being brought >>>along.

While what you say is correct, in his original post John Bowes said >>something else - that being a professionally qualified MP in any
    by said MP because it gave rise to a conflict of interest. I cited a >>historic example and queried how there could be a conflict of interest
    from it.

common for the Attorney-General or Minister of Justice to have legal >qualifications;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attorney-General_(New_Zealand)

Note the comment under 'History': "Only two former Attorneys-General
    have not been lawyers"

all Ministers of Education have been to school, but

--
    Crash McBash

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Crash@21:1/5 to bowesjohn02@gmail.com on Mon Jun 19 19:36:12 2023
    On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 22:31:08 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes

On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 3:48:00?PM UTC+12, Crash wrote:

conflict of interest.

This is one of those tricky ones. Perception of the situation by the public >> >comes into it.

If you have an honest Minister then probably hard to argue that there is a >> >conflict of interest. However in the last 5 years the Governments around the
    world have distoryed a great of the trust the public had in them. That does >> >not address the question as to why Labour are acting as they are. They have >> >done some other suprising things (co-governance as an example ) which are >> >somewhat questionable at least.

Having slammed these in the peoples face, so to speak, and gotten away with >> >it they have got into the habit of doing what they are sure will be good for
    the country, and to hell with wether or not the people are being brought
    along.
    by said MP because it gave rise to a conflict of interest. I cited a
    historic example and queried how there could be a conflict of interest
    from it.

--
    Crash McBash
    Remember a cabinet minister doesn't need to have any knowledge of their portfolios because they have a department with a bunch of qualified folk to keep them up to speed.

Agreed - but this does not disqualify professionally-qualified MPs
    from holding an office allied to their professional qualifications.

In fact I'd go so far as to say if a minister was qualified their knowledge could skew their acceptance of the advice given.

Why on earth would you think that? Cabinet Ministers are not required
    to follow advice. The professional qualifications of a Cabinet
    Minister are of interest but the office they hold is political, not professional.

The collective skills of their advisors are likely to have greater
    diversity and breadth than an individual politician, but professional
    skills would be invaluable in most circumstances in making the correct political decisions.

--
    Crash McBash

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to bowesjohn02@gmail.com on Mon Jun 19 21:37:33 2023
    On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 22:21:57 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes

On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 3:23:12?PM UTC+12, Crash wrote:

conflict of interest.

--
    Crash McBash
    I learnt that when Muldoon was PM. An uncle of mine Bert Walker had been a post master. When I questioned him about why he wasn't post master general he told me it wouldn't happen. After another why from me he explained it was to prevent conflicts of
    I'd suggest Minister of Finance is probably a position where a minister was unable to promote his croy's ;)

Was it this Bert Walker, John? https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/our-communities/204474/Ex-MP-Bert-Walker-dies

"Walker was postmaster-general and held the tourism and broadcasting
    portfolios from 1969 to 1972." and
    "Before becoming an MP, Walker was a farmer and an accountant. He
    served in the air force during World War 2."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Bowes@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 19 03:20:31 2023
    On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 9:39:18 PM UTC+12, Rich80105 wrote:
    On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 22:21:57 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes
    On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 3:23:12?PM UTC+12, Crash wrote:

conflict of interest.

--
    Crash McBash
    Was it this Bert Walker, John? https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/our-communities/204474/Ex-MP-Bert-Walker-dies

"Walker was postmaster-general and held the tourism and broadcasting portfolios from 1969 to 1972." and
    "Before becoming an MP, Walker was a farmer and an accountant. He
    served in the air force during World War 2."
    Yes it is. We had the conversation in 1969. I wasn't aware he ever became Postmaster General after that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05