• Finding deleted newsgroups with articles still on spool?

From Jesse Rehmer@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 11 19:48:21 2023
    Is there an easy-ish way to get a list of newsgroups for which spool files exist (tradspool) but the newsgroup has been deleted?

I thought the scanspool program was supposed to do that, and when ran it does report a few groups not in the active file, but when I'm feeding all my articles to a new server I see a ton of articles being rejected for groups
    that no longer exist in the active file, and they aren't mentioned by scanspool.

In my case I believe what happened was initially I created a lot of groups
    that no longer exist, because I'm creating an archive, but later processed control messages automatically which removed groups. I'd like to get a list of these groups and re-add them with a status of 'x' to preserve them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ivo Gandolfo@21:1/5 to Jesse Rehmer on Wed Oct 11 23:34:09 2023
    On 11/10/2023 21:48, Jesse Rehmer wrote:
    Is there an easy-ish way to get a list of newsgroups for which spool files exist (tradspool) but the newsgroup has been deleted?

I thought the scanspool program was supposed to do that, and when ran it does report a few groups not in the active file, but when I'm feeding all my articles to a new server I see a ton of articles being rejected for groups that no longer exist in the active file, and they aren't mentioned by scanspool.

In my case I believe what happened was initially I created a lot of groups that no longer exist, because I'm creating an archive, but later processed control messages automatically which removed groups. I'd like to get a list of
    these groups and re-add them with a status of 'x' to preserve them.

I'm using INN2, and I used "wanttrash" to obtain them in inn.conf. (with
    this you accept everything, and all finish in "junk" group).

Sincerely

--
    Ivo Gandolfo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Julien_=C3=89LIE?=@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 12 09:09:22 2023
    Hi Jesse,

I thought the scanspool program was supposed to do that, and when ran it does report a few groups not in the active file, but when I'm feeding all my articles to a new server I see a ton of articles being rejected for groups that no longer exist in the active file, and they aren't mentioned by scanspool.

scanspool should report these inexisting groups in the active file.
    Do you have an example of path + file name of an article?

Like the file:
    /home/news/spool/articles/news/software/nntp/1842
    for which the news.software.nntp group is not listed in your active file
    but scanspool does not say so with a "not an active group directory"
    message?

--
    Julien ÉLIE

« Medicus curat, natura sanat. »

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesse Rehmer@21:1/5 to iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid on Thu Oct 12 18:49:59 2023
    On Oct 12, 2023 at 2:09:22 AM CDT, "Julien ÉLIE" <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

Hi Jesse,

Is there an easy-ish way to get a list of newsgroups for which spool files >> exist (tradspool) but the newsgroup has been deleted?

I thought the scanspool program was supposed to do that, and when ran it does
    report a few groups not in the active file, but when I'm feeding all my
    articles to a new server I see a ton of articles being rejected for groups >> that no longer exist in the active file, and they aren't mentioned by
    scanspool.

scanspool should report these inexisting groups in the active file.
    Do you have an example of path + file name of an article?

Like the file:
    /home/news/spool/articles/news/software/nntp/1842
    for which the news.software.nntp group is not listed in your active file
    but scanspool does not say so with a "not an active group directory"
    message?

I'm starting to think the scanspool process was stopped before it completed. I was redirecting STDOUT and STDERR to a file, running in a screen, and assumed it completed, but I may have forgotten it was running when I applied updates and rebooted - whoop. It's re-running now, I'll check back in a day or two.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adam W.@21:1/5 to Jesse Rehmer on Mon Oct 23 23:46:28 2023
    Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

I don't know about tradspool (I don't use it), but I keep some groups in timehash.

This one-liner worked:

[news@kvm ~]$ find spool/articles -type f -exec grep ^Newsgroups: {} \; | awk '{print $2}'|sed 's/,/\n/g' | sort | uniq

It will report groups even if they're mentioned in the body (if someone
    reposts an article, for example, and "Newsgroups:" appears at the start of
    the line).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05