• Winbind, wrong user mappings...

From nimrod@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 18 14:10:01 2023
    Hi,

apparently all of a sudden a member server running Debian Buster with
    Winbind in an Active Directory environment started to map the domain
    users in a weird way.

Many users and group seem to have two or more names, but the same id.
    But this is a problem when users try to access, because it seems they
    are recognized with their right name, but the server seems instead to
    expect a different wrong name.

I tried to delete /var/cache/samba/netsamlogon_cache.tdb and restart
    winbind, with no improvements.

What the hell could have happened?

Best regards.

<html><head></head><body><div>Hi,</div><div><br></div><div>apparently all of a sudden a member server running Debian Buster with Winbind in an Active Directory environment started to map the domain users in a weird way.</div><div><br></div><div>Many
    users and group seem to have two or more names, but the same id. But this is a problem when users try to access, because it seems they are recognized with their right name, but the server seems instead to expect a different wrong name.</div><div><br></
    <div>I tried to delete /var/cache/samba/netsamlogon_cache.tdb and restart winbind, with no improvements.</div><div><br></div><div>What the hell could have happened?</div><div><br></div><div>Best regards.</div><div><span></span></div></body></html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From nimrod@21:1/5 to nimrod on Sat Dec 23 13:20:02 2023
    I answer to myself hoping to give a clue to someone.

I realised I messed up the id mapping removing the files in
    /var/lib/samba/.

Having kept a copy, I tried to recover them, but probably this must be
    done with the service smbd and windbind correctly stopped, which
    probably I didn't. So no help this way.

The TDB backend I was using has some advantages, but the big
    disadvantage is that the mapping works quite like "first come, first
    served", so the id mapping must be kept in those files, otherwise the
    ids can be completely changed after the folowing login attempts. It
    seems this happened on my server.

I then changed the id mapping from tdb to rid, just because I had to
    start over with all permission anyway. The RID backend, for me, has the advantage that the mapping is the same on every server, if it's
    configured in the same way, and the known disadvantages are not
    relevant to me.

Since I was setting up a backup server, the RID was the only way, so
    this accident just forced me to do what I did very quickly, and with
    some disappoinment from a few users. But in the end nothing was lost
    and everything was ok just in a couple of days of work.

On Mon, 2023-12-18 at 14:02 +0100, nimrod wrote:
    Hi,

apparently all of a sudden a member server running Debian Buster with
    Winbind in an Active Directory environment started to map the domain
    users in a weird way.

Many users and group seem to have two or more names, but the same id.
    But this is a problem when users try to access, because it seems they
    are recognized with their right name, but the server seems instead to
    expect a different wrong name.

I tried to delete /var/cache/samba/netsamlogon_cache.tdb and restart
    winbind, with no improvements.

What the hell could have happened?

Best regards.

<html><head></head><body><div>I answer to myself hoping to give a clue to someone.</div><div><br></div><div>I realised I messed up the id mapping removing the files in /var/lib/samba/.</div><div><br></div><div>Having kept a copy, I tried to recover them,
    but probably this must be done with the service smbd and windbind correctly stopped, which probably I didn't. So no help this way.</div><div><br></div><div>The TDB backend I was using has some advantages, but the big disadvantage is that the mapping
    works quite like "first come, first served", so the id mapping must be kept in those files, otherwise the ids can be completely changed after the folowing login attempts. It seems this happened on my server.</div><div><br></div><div>I then changed the id
    mapping from tdb to rid, just because I had to start over with all permission anyway. The RID backend, for me, has the advantage that the mapping is the same on every server, if it's configured in the same way, and the known disadvantages are not
    relevant to me.</div><div><br></div><div>Since I was setting up a backup server, the RID was the only way, so this accident just forced me to do what I did very quickly, and with some disappoinment from a few users. But in the end nothing was lost and
    everything was ok just in a couple of days of work.</div><div><br></div><div>On Mon, 2023-12-18 at 14:02 +0100, nimrod wrote:</div><blockquote type="cite" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex; border-left:2px #729fcf solid;padding-left:1ex"><div>Hi,</div><div><br></
    <div>apparently all of a sudden a member server running Debian Buster with Winbind in an Active Directory environment started to map the domain users in a weird way.</div><div><br></div><div>Many users and group seem to have two or more names, but
    the same id. But this is a problem when users try to access, because it seems they are recognized with their right name, but the server seems instead to expect a different wrong name.</div><div><br></div><div>I tried to delete /var/cache/samba/
    netsamlogon_cache.tdb and restart winbind, with no improvements.</div><div><br></div><div>What the hell could have happened?</div><div><br></div><div>Best regards.</div><div><span></span></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><span></span></div></body></
    html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)