• Bug#1064252: closed by Salvatore Bonaccorso (Re: Bu

From TomK@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 8 01:30:02 2024
    XPost: linux.debian.kernel

Since .config lists the response to this as "y" WITH THE DOUBLE QUOTES, IT is not possible to change it in menuconfig, and the quotes break the compile. So, the stock linux-image-6.5-amd64 config file in /boot, if copied to .config into the source
    directory, it's booby trapped with a config value: "y", that prevents it from being changed in the make <whatever>config, and it breaks the kernel compile no matter what.

Nowhere does Debian kernel development document all the changes that must be made to the stock configs from the linux-image packages when they are copied as .config from /boot to the source directory. Every single stock /boot/config-xyz will break the
    compile of the source package if used as a template for .config (which could be a super time-saver)--which is bad enough--but Debian has let this problem go on for probably 6 years.

I think a patch to fix this problem would be in order. Just have a config option: "patch stock config for successful compile", would be really helpful. Or, better yet, an interactive Makefile option--make compilableconfig, that branches to a script that
    calls external programs and promts the source package user to create and put in place the necessary files to use the problematic options for their intended purpose, and correct .config options that need to be changed.

That would require, at most, 15 minutes per linux-image package. I appreciate all the Debian project gives to the world, and to me personally. I don't mean to just vent on you.

Another plan could be to mark stock config files, and if one is detected, to execute the repair script, and print a config-patch.log. Also, perhaps shasums could be calculated for stock config files and .config in the sources directory, and compared to
    determine whether or not .config is a copy of /boot/config-xyz.

I've been using Debian since woody, when I was in elementary school. But I became more of an admin, security, forensics, triage and hacker. Alhough I have some noteworthy programming accomplishments.I devised algorithms to convert between numeric bases,
    and to do arithematic using numbers of different bases.

I was a self-employed consultant while in college. My first job I made $6,000 in 20 hours. I'd like to contribute more to Debian. But most of the English language documentation is well done. Maintaining packages is time-consuming. But, I don't want to go
    on and on. I hope I've communicated more clearly.

Tom

-------- Original Message --------
    Sent: March 7, 2024 9:03:05 PM UTC
    To: tomas k <forensic@wi.rr.com>
    Subject: Bug#1064252 closed by Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> (Re: Bug#1064252: linux-image-6.1.0-17-amd64: CONFIG_SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS="y" is in the default config "y")

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
    which was filed against the src:linux package:

#1064252: linux-image-6.1.0-17-amd64: CONFIG_SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS="y" is in the default config "y"

It has been closed by Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
    If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
    better one in a separate message then please contact Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> by
    replying to this email.

--
    1064252: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1064252
    Debian Bug Tracking System
    Contact owner@bugs.debian.org with problems

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)