• Re: Plasma 5.24 coming to testing

From Borden@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 16 23:10:01 2022
    Is it safe to upgrade in testing yet? There are dozens of packages in the update queue and I'm afraid to hit dist-upgrade after the previous Plasma upgrade hobbled my computer for over a month.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Brad Rogers@21:1/5 to Borden on Thu Mar 17 09:00:01 2022
    On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:03:03 +0100 (CET)
    Borden <borden_c@tutanota.com> wrote:

Hello Borden,

Is it safe to upgrade in testing yet? There are dozens of packages in
    the update queue and I'm afraid to hit dist-upgrade after the previous
    Plasma upgrade hobbled my computer for over a month.

I updated several days ago. The only problem was losing login audio notification (1). Otherwise, all is well.

(1) Not for the first time, either. It's an old issue, which has
    recurred. See https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422948
    Comment #49 provides a workaround that did the job for me. Comment #87
    points to another option, but I failed to get it to work here.

--
    Regards _
    / ) "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"
    / _)rad "Is it only me that has a working delete key?"
    He looked the wrong way at a policeman
    I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEmwDAJZJEijHvlxs1Dz7gAfAqPiAFAmIy6SYACgkQDz7gAfAq PiCYIAf/RXnGsyjTNR+xap4COveKJtLPNx4k5ebiXmRj9aeF/+ev4YDy9drukynH zdPq5iJY254nNopmDzoVjfRhuq2tIZ0T50ff5n7uUs48Qy3+hibUfaOwZUH2JlVa IUE45dMmWEMLpf7VD1A6nfX5ogiTdysRij0SpnAldGc0bhyWXlflNN6MmZIh+kj8 oL1ng79ZRRTubpXFjgLS6pgyaxjgbQeUvhKvPWnv5SVnbw0PsJYOxKtkv4K7/LO9 MWewLimJXEzyWq/pElFVUOuAGokY9pvshFlaVsNQ1H1zkB/zSgGhcI6T++X29QRL c5kBsRTgo+igg4/Pueyn3oYBd+EmKA==
    =6iA2
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Diederik de Haas@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 17 13:52:33 2022
    Copy: borden_c@tutanota.com (Borden)

On woensdag 16 maart 2022 23:03:03 CET Borden wrote:
    Is it safe to upgrade in testing yet? There are dozens of packages in the update queue and I'm afraid to hit dist-upgrade after the previous Plasma upgrade hobbled my computer for over a month.

A quick look at man:/apt didn't show a '-s' from simulate being present, but
    if you have aptitude installed, I know it supports that. But 'even' apt
    upgrade should ask for a confirmation before doing an actual upgrade.
    So if that looks sane, then go for it. If it doesn't, then don't.

And maybe stop using dist-upgrade by default?
    The normal (safe-)upgrade is most of the time all you need.

HTH,
    Diederik

iHUEABYIAB0WIQT1sUPBYsyGmi4usy/XblvOeH7bbgUCYjMvEQAKCRDXblvOeH7b bgHfAP0Q98qKBf/mrhqDa6zZhQpZqulil/QH4gxJvKPjldRV0AD/RAUWjNsKAUqf oAqASz3iOq9RmVvCAqySx3JS9+1LTgg=
    =kJPC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gregorio Rodrigo@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 17 14:10:01 2022
    Hi everyone,

I am facing a small bug/problem/new feature. I use a left handed mouse but
    the configuration is not saved every time I plug/unplug the mouse. It was working before the upgrade (left handled with the mouse, right handled with
    the touch mouse).

Regards
    Gregorio

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 12:53, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org>
    wrote:

On woensdag 16 maart 2022 23:03:03 CET Borden wrote:

A quick look at man:/apt didn't show a '-s' from simulate being present,
    but
    if you have aptitude installed, I know it supports that. But 'even' apt upgrade should ask for a confirmation before doing an actual upgrade.
    So if that looks sane, then go for it. If it doesn't, then don't.

HTH,
    Diederik

<div dir="ltr">Hi everyone,<div><br></div><div>I am facing a small bug/problem/new feature. I use a left handed mouse but the configuration is not saved every time I plug/unplug the mouse. It was working before the upgrade (left handled with the mouse,
    right handled with the touch mouse).<br><br>Regards<br>Gregorio</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 12:53, Diederik de Haas &lt;<a href="mailto:didi.debian@cknow.org">didi.debian@cknow.org</a>&
    gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On woensdag 16 maart 2022 23:03:03 CET Borden wrote:<br>
    &gt; Is it safe to upgrade in testing yet? There are dozens of packages in the<br>
    &gt; update queue and I&#39;m afraid to hit dist-upgrade after the previous Plasma<br>
    &gt; upgrade hobbled my computer for over a month.<br>

A quick look at man:/apt didn&#39;t show a &#39;-s&#39; from simulate being present, but <br>
    if you have aptitude installed, I know it supports that. But &#39;even&#39; apt <br>
    upgrade should ask for a confirmation before doing an actual upgrade.<br>
    So if that looks sane, then go for it. If it doesn&#39;t, then don&#39;t.<br>

And maybe stop using dist-upgrade by default?<br>
    The normal (safe-)upgrade is most of the time all you need.<br>

HTH,<br>
      Diederik</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Diederik de Haas@21:1/5 to Gregorio Rodrigo on Thu Mar 17 14:27:29 2022
    Copy: debian-kde@lists.debian.org

On donderdag 17 maart 2022 13:55:59 CET Gregorio Rodrigo wrote:
    I am facing a small bug/problem/new feature. I use a left handed mouse but the configuration is not saved every time I plug/unplug the mouse. It was working before the upgrade (left handled with the mouse, right handled with the touch mouse).

Then file a bug report for it. (I don't know against which package though)
    A new (upstream) version typically brings new features, bugfixes AND new bugs. By reporting them, they can be addressed.

iHUEABYIAB0WIQT1sUPBYsyGmi4usy/XblvOeH7bbgUCYjM3QQAKCRDXblvOeH7b br+QAP0Z+A2L4fk+/f6UpUVuWMcOoBXauZihaNh0XgKwrWrwagD/XOjWJlKcJTt4 wsBSf9Ycrj0eNlcIPk+5jl2WBR1Eywg=
    =q1C6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Borden@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 18 07:00:01 2022
    17 Mar 2022, 08:52 by didi.debian@cknow.org:
    A quick look at man:/apt didn't show a '-s' from simulate being present, but if you have aptitude installed, I know it supports that. But 'even' apt upgrade should ask for a confirmation before doing an actual upgrade.> So if that looks sane, then go
    for it. If it doesn't, then don't.

HTH,
    Diederik

I don't blame you for assuming that I blindly run full upgrades without reviewing the proposed changes first. However, during the last Plasma update there was a dependency bug in kwin. After a "safe" upgrade testing systems booted into a black screen.
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2021/10/msg00045.html

Sometimes the user should _not_ be faulted for a broken system :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05