• Re: Newbie (to the group, not Pr1me.)

From Peter Ruscoe@21:1/5 to Peter Ruscoe on Sun Nov 26 15:45:17 2023
    On Sunday, November 26, 2023 at 6:34:58 PM UTC-5, Peter Ruscoe wrote:
    I'm an "Oldie." I worked for ACS America 1976-1980, the developer of PRIMACS w2hich became Pr1me OAS when it was sold to them. I wasn't a developer (at least, not of PRIMACS.) My job was Technical Support Manager. I and my team traveled all over (I
    chose the plum locations for myself - Nassau, London, Vancouver BC) and left the rest to the team!

The PRIMACS developers liked me to do the demo installs because they WORKED!

In December 1980 I was transferred to Wave III Corp (a subsidiary) where we ran a "large" 750? 850? system. I call it large because it had two 60Mb disk drives! Somewhere I have a photo.

I have a 16-line AMLC hanging on my office wall with some - er - modifications. It's a wall clock with a quartz movement mounted in the middle.

Peter Ruscoe
    Bradenton, Florida.
    Sorry - typo - two 600Mb disks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Ruscoe@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 26 15:34:56 2023
    I'm an "Oldie." I worked for ACS America 1976-1980, the developer of PRIMACS w2hich became Pr1me OAS when it was sold to them. I wasn't a developer (at least, not of PRIMACS.) My job was Technical Support Manager. I and my team traveled all over (I chose
    the plum locations for myself - Nassau, London, Vancouver BC) and left the rest to the team!

The PRIMACS developers liked me to do the demo installs because they WORKED!

In December 1980 I was transferred to Wave III Corp (a subsidiary) where we ran a "large" 750? 850? system. I call it large because it had two 60Mb disk drives! Somewhere I have a photo.

I have a 16-line AMLC hanging on my office wall with some - er - modifications. It's a wall clock with a quartz movement mounted in the middle.

Peter Ruscoe
    Bradenton, Florida.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Boone@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 28 21:32:45 2023
    I'm an "Oldie." I worked for ACS America 1976-1980, the developer of
    PRIMACS w2hich became Pr1me OAS when it was sold to them. I wasn't a developer (at least, not of PRIMACS.) My job was Technical Support
    Manager. I and my team traveled all over (I chose the plum locations
    for myself - Nassau, London, Vancouver BC) and left the rest to the
    team!

Peter,

Always fun to hear from folks who spent time on Prime.

You sound like our sales guys -- Florida in the winter, harware install
    (i.e. me) in the summer. :)

De

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Ruscoe@21:1/5 to Dennis Boone on Tue Nov 28 15:06:32 2023
    On Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 4:32:56 PM UTC-5, Dennis Boone wrote:
    I'm an "Oldie." I worked for ACS America 1976-1980, the developer of PRIMACS w2hich became Pr1me OAS when it was sold to them. I wasn't a developer (at least, not of PRIMACS.) My job was Technical Support Manager. I and my team traveled all over (I chose the plum locations
    for myself - Nassau, London, Vancouver BC) and left the rest to the
    team!
    Peter,

Always fun to hear from folks who spent time on Prime.

You sound like our sales guys -- Florida in the winter, harware install (i.e. me) in the summer. :)

De

Yup. Of my "randomly-chosen" destinations, another one was Orlando, FL --- Martin Marietta (to install PRIMACS/OAS.)

My (New York) boss REALLY wanted Walt Disney Corp as a customer, so he could say "oh, yes, and some other Mickey Mouse company" when quoting our clients. He didn't get it, though! We DID fly to California to demo it to them - he to give his outrageous
    sales pitch, me to gently counter some of the "facts."

In another life, after my New York-based job, I was DP Managerfor Chris-Craft in Florida who had (heavens!) two P-250's side by side in a ring network! Then, later, Smiths Industries Aerospace in Clearwater,FL, running Prime Information. THAT was a trip!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05