• Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign host

From bepo29021972@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 21 03:50:56 2021
    The definitive procedure as recommended on the eudor...@hades.listmoms.net group (which you should join) is:

How can I join that group?
    Is it a Google Group?

Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to bepo29...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 21 05:10:45 2021
    On Sunday, 21 February 2021 at 11:50:57 UTC, bepo29...@gmail.com wrote:
    The definitive procedure as recommended on the eudor...@hades.listmoms.net group (which you should join) is:
    How can I join that group?
    Is it a Google Group?

Thanks.

No it isn't.
    You need to send an e-mail to <join-eudora-win@hades.listmoms.net> and make sure you include the word "Gazelle" in the subject line. That's all it needs, and you should then start getting the group's messages. If you want to ask a new question then to
    the members of the group send it to <eudora-win@hades.listmoms.net>.
    HTH. Cheers, Dave.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bepo29021972@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 21 05:52:18 2021
    Hi Dave,

Everything worked fine last time.
    Now I had to reinstall my windows and struggle again with setting up Eudora to work.
    I already installed Hermes, and it seems to work with the Dominant account (GMX), but all the others I run with Eudora (mail.com, t-online) are refusing. I still get the certificate error.
    I think there was one place where I could manually put the ports for SMTP and POP, but I can't remember anymore. Do you remember?

(I am a bit frustrated and think of leaving Eudora behind and using Mailbird instead, although that also doesn't work for Outlook unless one uses a Business account...)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to bepo29...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 21 06:32:00 2021
    On Sunday, 21 February 2021 at 13:52:19 UTC, bepo29...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi Dave,

Now I had to reinstall my windows and struggle again with setting up Eudora to work.
    I already installed Hermes, and it seems to work with the Dominant account (GMX), but all the others I run with Eudora (mail.com, t-online) are refusing. I still get the certificate error.
    I think there was one place where I could manually put the ports for SMTP and POP, but I can't remember anymore. Do you remember?

(I am a bit frustrated and think of leaving Eudora behind and using Mailbird instead, although that also doesn't work for Outlook unless one uses a Business account...)

You almost certainly need "Required, Alternate Port" selected for both sending and receiving.
    There is no way to set a specific post manually in Eudora, but that setting should use the ports that are generally used nowadays.
    If you're still getting SSL certificate errors after setting that, look at "Last SSL Info" and see what the problem actually is.
    You may need to trust and/or install a certificate from your e-mail provider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bepo29021972@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Sun Feb 28 02:25:44 2021
    dav...@sky.com schrieb am Sonntag, 21. Februar 2021 um 14:32:01 UTC:
    On Sunday, 21 February 2021 at 13:52:19 UTC, bepo29...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi Dave,

You almost certainly need "Required, Alternate Port" selected for both sending and receiving.
    There is no way to set a specific post manually in Eudora, but that setting should use the ports that are generally used nowadays.
    If you're still getting SSL certificate errors after setting that, look at "Last SSL Info" and see what the problem actually is.
    You may need to trust and/or install a certificate from your e-mail provider.

Hi Dave,

okay, I have changed to "Required, Alternate Port". My Dominant account works fine. I can send and receive emails. also the mail.com account works now. I tried the same with the t-online.de account. but here I get the error message "Error reading from
    netwotwork. Cause: connection closed by foreign host. (0)". I installed the certificate from T-Online, but I get the same issue afterwards. Maybe I don't use the correct secure sockets...

The server settings are the following

SMTP-Server: securesmtp.t-online.de Port 465 SSL POP3-Server: securepop.t-online.de Port 995 SSL / TLS

What is what in Eudora? There we have only the options below

- never
    - if available, STARTTLS
    - required, alternative port
    - required, STARTTLS

I would have asked this in that Eudora for Windows list, but I can't remember how to post a question there. Sorry.
    Maybe you help me anyway?

Thanks,
    Bepo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bepo29021972@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 28 02:42:34 2021
    I need to correct me.
    T-Online works now as well. :-)
    Now I would like to get Outlook to work as well and then I will be a happy bunny.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to bepo29...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 28 05:25:44 2021
    On Sunday, 28 February 2021 at 10:42:35 UTC, bepo29...@gmail.com wrote:
    I need to correct me.
    Now I would like to get Outlook to work as well and then I will be a happy bunny.

So it's only your Outlook account that isn't working now?
    When you try to check it, presumably you get an error message.
    What does it say if you look at the last SSL info on the Incoming Mail tab of the profile settings?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bepo29021972@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Sun Feb 28 06:20:22 2021
    dav...@sky.com schrieb am Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021 um 13:25:44 UTC:
    I need to correct me.

What does it say if you look at the last SSL info on the Incoming Mail tab of the profile settings?

Yes, only Outlook needs setting up, yet.
    I went to the online inbox because I read somewhere that one has to enable pop. So I did that, although I thought it was enabled already.
    I checked the pop and smtp servers. Looks all good so far, only the "TLS" and "STARTTLS" is a struggle, because I don't know which is which in Eudora language...

- never
    - if available, STARTTLS
    - required, STARTTLS

When I then check last SSL I get the following warning message: "You have never checked mail using an SSL connection with this personality since the last time you started Eudora (or a negotiation is in progress with this personality)."

(It's true, it's the first time I check the SSL connection.) ;-)

Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to bepo29...@gmail.com on Sun Feb 28 10:44:09 2021
    On Sunday, 28 February 2021 at 14:20:22 UTC, bepo29...@gmail.com wrote:
    x@sky.com schrieb am Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021 um 13:25:44 UTC:
    I need to correct me.

I went to the online inbox because I read somewhere that one has to enable pop. So I did that, although I thought it was enabled already.
    I checked the pop and smtp servers. Looks all good so far, only the "TLS" and "STARTTLS" is a struggle, because I don't know which is which in Eudora language...

- never
    - if available, STARTTLS
    - required, STARTTLS
    When I then check last SSL I get the following warning message: "You have never checked mail using an SSL connection with this personality since the last time you started Eudora (or a negotiation is in progress with this personality)."

Thank you.

So you've never actually made a connection with that personality, if you had, even if it failed, the SSL Info would tell you why it failed.
    I'm pretty sure you should be set to "Required, Alternate port" as you are for your other personalities.
    If that doesn't work, double check that you have the correct information entered for your account.
    What error message do you actually get when you try checking for mail?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From H A@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Mon Jan 17 01:44:23 2022
    On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-8, dav...@sky.com wrote:
    x...@sky.com schrieb am Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021 um 13:25:44 UTC:
    I need to correct me.

- never
    - if available, STARTTLS
    - required, STARTTLS

Thank you.

So you've never actually made a connection with that personality, if you had, even if it failed, the SSL Info would tell you why it failed.
    I'm pretty sure you should be set to "Required, Alternate port" as you are for your other personalities.
    If that doesn't work, double check that you have the correct information entered for your account.

Help! I'm having trouble sending emails with Eudora with an Office365 email. I did the HERMES patch last year and things were fine until a couple weeks ago. The issue seems to be the outgoing SMTP port. It's been set to use 587 and has given TSLv1
    since I did the patch last year. Hasn't been an issue but now emails aren't sent right away and I have to make several send attempts before it finally goes. I guess they've let TSLv1 slip through as it's gradually phased out but this won't be possible
    for me in a few days when our organization disallows TSLv1 for good. I've tried "Required, alternate port" for the SMTP server (port 465) but Eudora just hangs and doesn't send the email. Only port 587 with multiple attempts works for sending emails.
    Funny enough, the incoming IMAP port is 993 and I get TLSv1.2 no problem. I also have another pop-based gmail personality with Eudora and that yields TSLv1.2 no problem. So I believe the HERMES patch worked but what is going on with the SMTP server???
    Any ideas on what's going on? Thanks much.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From inpuneet@gmail.com@21:1/5 to H A on Sun Feb 13 02:37:04 2022
    On Monday, 17 January 2022 at 15:14:24 UTC+5:30, H A wrote:
    On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-8, dav...@sky.com wrote:
    x...@sky.com schrieb am Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021 um 13:25:44 UTC:
    I need to correct me.

- never
    - if available, STARTTLS
    - required, STARTTLS

Thank you.

Help! I'm having trouble sending emails with Eudora with an Office365 email. I did the HERMES patch last year and things were fine until a couple weeks ago. The issue seems to be the outgoing SMTP port. It's been set to use 587 and has given TSLv1
    since I did the patch last year. Hasn't been an issue but now emails aren't sent right away and I have to make several send attempts before it finally goes. I guess they've let TSLv1 slip through as it's gradually phased out but this won't be possible
    for me in a few days when our organization disallows TSLv1 for good. I've tried "Required, alternate port" for the SMTP server (port 465) but Eudora just hangs and doesn't send the email. Only port 587 with multiple attempts works for sending emails.
    Funny enough, the incoming IMAP port is 993 and I get TLSv1.2 no problem. I also have another pop-based gmail personality with Eudora and that yields TSLv1.2 no problem. So I believe the HERMES patch worked but what is going on with the SMTP server???
    Any ideas on what's going on? Thanks much.

there is no exact way to fix the problem is its a hit and trial and some time it works and some time not, but after some hit and trail its working.

Zino
    Computer Technician

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05