• A new episode of "Back&Forth" has been uploaded (Easter edition)

From Hans Bezemer@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 10 06:41:13 2023
    Hi!

I'm on a roll! I've uploaded not one, but two new episodes.

- The first one gives you a quick tour of 4tH. This one was made on request (https://youtu.be/cGVpq5gvMAE);
    - The second one presents a tool I wrote to make my work easier. It allows you to map an particular ITSM information landscape against an ideal situation (https://youtu.be/Jyn-T748TYg).

Hans Bezemer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dxforth@21:1/5 to Hans Bezemer on Tue Apr 11 13:30:20 2023
    On 10/04/2023 11:41 pm, Hans Bezemer wrote:
    Hi!

I'm on a roll! I've uploaded not one, but two new episodes.

- The first one gives you a quick tour of 4tH. This one was made on request (https://youtu.be/cGVpq5gvMAE);

Reminds me of the early Turbo Pascal IDE.

While TP never held my interest as a programming language it gave me an idea
    of what functions I needed to include in DX-Forth in order to make it useful. For the CP/M version I used TP's terminal installation scheme and data files.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans Bezemer@21:1/5 to dxforth on Tue Apr 11 02:40:37 2023
    On Tuesday, April 11, 2023 at 5:30:25 AM UTC+2, dxforth wrote:
    Well - it's not a surprise - and neither a coincidence. It was modeled after TP v3!
    4tH started as a pure command line tool - even broken up into a compiler,
    a decompiler and a runtime. But after I developed a way to C-compile the bytecode
    I had the idea to incorporate the editor and make it a menu driver environment. So - what came to mind first: TP v3. Sure, not too many menu options matched - but I could work around that. The menu options in TP were color coded, so I
    had to find another way to highlight these. But all in all, yes, it's all TP v3.

It was a great compiler for its time. Lightning fast (it simply dumped the code on top of the 10K runtime), great usability (people hit compile just to get to the
    position where the error was in the editor) and fantastic "value for money". It even converted me to Pascal for a short while (until I learned C on TC v2).

While TP never held my interest as a programming language it gave me an idea of what functions I needed to include in DX-Forth in order to make it useful.
    For the CP/M version I used TP's terminal installation scheme and data files.
    I'm not surprised ;-) I nicked the idea to dump the code on top of the runtime from TP..

HB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron AARON@21:1/5 to Hans Bezemer on Tue Apr 11 15:43:35 2023
    On 11/04/2023 12:40, Hans Bezemer wrote:
    Well - it's not a surprise - and neither a coincidence. It was modeled after TP v3!
    a decompiler and a runtime. But after I developed a way to C-compile the bytecode
    I had the idea to incorporate the editor and make it a menu driver environment.
    So - what came to mind first: TP v3. Sure, not too many menu options matched -
    but I could work around that. The menu options in TP were color coded, so I had to find another way to highlight these. But all in all, yes, it's all TP v3.

It was a great compiler for its time. Lightning fast (it simply dumped the code
    on top of the 10K runtime), great usability (people hit compile just to get to the
    position where the error was in the editor) and fantastic "value for money". It
    even converted me to Pascal for a short while (until I learned C on TC v2).

While TP never held my interest as a programming language it gave me an idea >> of what functions I needed to include in DX-Forth in order to make it useful.
    I'm not surprised ;-) I nicked the idea to dump the code on top of the runtime
    from TP..

TP3 was a superbly crafted tool, just amazing. All it crammed into such
    a small space.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dxforth@21:1/5 to Ron AARON on Wed Apr 12 10:38:04 2023
    On 11/04/2023 10:43 pm, Ron AARON wrote:
    On 11/04/2023 12:40, Hans Bezemer wrote:
    I had the idea to incorporate the editor and make it a menu driver environment.
    So - what came to mind first: TP v3. Sure, not too many menu options matched -
    but I could work around that. The menu options in TP were color coded, so I >> had to find another way to highlight these. But all in all, yes, it's all TP v3.

It was a great compiler for its time. Lightning fast (it simply dumped the code
    on top of the 10K runtime), great usability (people hit compile just to get to the
    position where the error was in the editor) and fantastic "value for money". It
    even converted me to Pascal for a short while (until I learned C on TC v2). >>
    While TP never held my interest as a programming language it gave me an idea
    of what functions I needed to include in DX-Forth in order to make it useful.
    I'm not surprised ;-) I nicked the idea to dump the code on top of the runtime
    from TP..

TP3 was a superbly crafted tool, just amazing. All it crammed into such a small space.

There were several incarnations before Borland picked it up but AFAIK it was the
    latter that came up with the IDE which placed all the necessary tools at the user's
    fingertips. Watching Hans dancing with 4tH he seems to be enjoying himself. The
    close integration of all the aspects of programming would be the main reason I stayed with screens.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05