• Licensing possibilities

From Oj002@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 29 04:09:51 2020
    What kind of licenses am I allowed to use if I implement my own c compiler using the book version of lcc: "A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation"?
    I've been planing to write a c compiler for some time now and "A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation" seems like the best starting point.
    Ideally I'd license the code under gpl, but I don't think that's possible given the license of lcc. Idk how it works with the book given that I don't just copy/fork the code, but rewrite it in my own style, change where I feel changes are needed and plan
    to add support for newer versions of c.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From bill rowe@21:1/5 to ojcra...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 2 12:34:37 2020
    On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 7:09:52 AM UTC-4, ojcra...@gmail.com wrote:
    What kind of licenses am I allowed to use if I implement my own c compiler using the book version of lcc: "A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation"?
    I've been planing to write a c compiler for some time now and "A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation" seems like the best starting point.
    Ideally I'd license the code under gpl, but I don't think that's possible given the license of lcc. Idk how it works with the book given that I don't just copy/fork the code, but rewrite it in my own style, change where I feel changes are needed and
    plan to add support for newer versions of c.

the original authors fraser and hansen are still active in the community and will respond to email.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)