• Outage

From Avon@21:1/101 to All on Sun May 12 11:37:09 2024

There was a 2-3 hour outage at NET 1 HUB about 15 hour ago as I write this, I pulled the plug as a precaution because of a CME event that's hitting the planet at the moment. All services should be back up now.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to Avon on Sat May 11 21:31:48 2024
    Interesting, we experienced an unplanned outage here at Queen City.

2024-05-11 04:30 - 08:30 EDT the BBS was down as the Raspberry Pi seems to have had a flutter. Nothing odd in the logs, last thing she did was poll fsx.
    Reboot without any issues and has been operational and normal the rest of the day.
    I'm curious if anyone else had any issues.
    My Banana Pi that drives the home cloud server had no issues, and my other RPi driving a PiStar DMR radio gateway similarly no issues but they are in the basement. No other computers were active though the night.

N2QFD//Malachi 21:1/154

N2QFD{Queen City BBS}:// "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me right now?" - Craig Ferguson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to n2qfd on Sun May 12 14:21:28 2024
    On 11 May 2024 at 09:31p, n2qfd pondered and said...

Interesting, we experienced an unplanned outage here at Queen City.

Yeah in my case it was a deliberate shutdown as I was concerned about the gear getting fried etc. but I think it was probably overly cautious on my part.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From Alan Ianson@21:4/106 to Avon on Sat May 11 19:27:26 2024
    There was a 2-3 hour outage at NET 1 HUB about 15 hour ago as I write this, I pulled the plug as a precaution because of a CME event that's hitting the planet at the moment. All services should be back up now.

Taking precautions huh. :)

The skies were lit up here last night with aurora's not normally seen here.

I was thinking about the hardware but then it was too late anyway.. ;)

I hope you and your family are doing well.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-7
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (21:4/106)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to Alan Ianson on Sun May 12 14:39:28 2024
    On 11 May 2024 at 07:27p, Alan Ianson pondered and said...

Taking precautions huh. :)

Yep, made me super popular with the family when I shuttered the internet etc. for some hours :)

The skies were lit up here last night with aurora's not normally seen here.

Same, very impressive here for around 3 hours just after sunset I took a bunch of photos and they all look the same :)

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Thanks Al, my mum is still with us but in poor health, my dad is doing his best to deal with the situation and I and the wider family continue to support him. Closer to home most of my kids are doing OK but keeping ducks in a row can be a busy job even when they have left the nest.

Mothers Day here, I'm cooking dinner for my wife... she's a super mum... and the kids have all been in touch today so that's good.

Hope you're doing OK too and enjoying the warmer weather / temps.

Best, Paul

• From n2qfd@21:1/154 to Avon on Sun May 12 09:13:26 2024
    Yeah in my case it was a deliberate shutdown as I was concerned about
    the gear getting fried etc. but I think it was probably overly cautious
    on my part.

No, I disagree. I think it was pretty responsible. This is a hobby and no sense in making work out of it due to loss! Plus I was thinking the same thing here, I left mine up as a sort of experiment figuring it wasn't going to be the end of the world if I did loose it.
    I've been called a whacka-do for tracking solar activity but I worked in survey and we're pretty dependent on GPS these days. That being said, most of the time I'm keeping an eye on the sun to account for odd behaviors and data discrepancy.The satellites up there can experience a double whammy of both particulate matter causing drag as well as hull charging and electrostatics. As they are just flying clock/radios it's not much of nudge and the Airmen in Colorado are scrambling to get the ephemeris updated!

N2QFD{Queen City BBS}:// "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me right now?" - Craig Ferguson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From Vorlon@21:1/196 to Avon on Tue May 14 11:28:30 2024
    Hi Avon,

On Sunday May 12 2024, Avon said to All:

There was a 2-3 hour outage at NET 1 HUB about 15 hour ago as I write
    this, I pulled the plug as a precaution because of a CME event that's hitting the planet at the moment. All services should be back up now.

Didn't see any grean slime come out of your systems and attack you or the family? #-;

\/orlon
    aka
    Stephen

Rocking FSXnet with an Amiga 4000 and Zeus BBS.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
    * Origin: -:-- Dragon's Lair --:- dragon.vk3heg.net Prt: 6800 (21:1/196.0)