• Exporting Messages?

From Jeffs@21:1/128.2 to g00r00 on Fri Dec 15 22:07:36 2017
    Hello g00r00,

I ran across something that I have seen on both this Raspberry Pi version of Mystic as well as the Lin64 version. That being when I attempt to export a echommail message to a text file. When I hit "X" to export the message I am presented with a field to enter the filename. If I enter just the filename I
    am presented with which transfer protocol I wish to use. I.E. Xmodem, Zmodem, Etc. If I specify a path and a filename. I am not presented with a Protocol choice. But in neither case is the message exported to the specified filename.

Is there something I am missing?

Jeff

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A37 2017/12/13 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: The Ouijaboard V - Anoka, MN (21:1/128.2)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Jeffs on Sat Dec 16 00:27:52 2017

If you are logging in locally you need to be logging in with ./mystic -l for
    it to behave as you might expect.

If you run ./mystic only, then it defaults to assuming its a remote TTY session like if you use mgetty for a dialup modem node or something (or anything like that) and set ./mystic as the shell.

If you add -l to say you're local, it will use local disk for message export and it will also use local QWK setting for QWK stuff.

I suspect a LOT of people don't know this! :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A37 2017/12/15 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (21:1/108)
  • From Jon Justvig@21:1/154 to Jeffs on Fri Dec 15 23:25:50 2017
    Jeffs,

On 12/15/17, Jeffs said the following...

wish to use. I.E. Xmodem, Zmodem, Etc. If I specify a path and a
    filename. I am not presented with a Protocol choice. But in neither case is the message exported to the specified filename.

If you downloaded the exported file, did you look in your download directory
    of your telnet terminal (netrunner?)...

-- cr1mson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A37 2017/12/09 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Raiders Inc BBS -- vintagebbsing.com (21:1/154)
  • From Jeffs@21:1/128 to g00r00 on Wed Dec 20 14:28:50 2017
    Hello g00r00,

I ran across something that I have seen on both the Raspberry Pi version of Mystic as well as this Lin64 version. That being when I attempt to export a echommail message to a text file. When I hit "X" to export the message I am presented with a field to enter the filename. If I enter just the filename I
    am presented with a choice of which transfer protocol I wish to use. I.E. Xmodem, Zmodem, Etc. If I specify a path AND a filename. I am not presented with a Protocol choice. But in neither case is the message exported to the specified filename.

Jeff

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A37 2017/12/13 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Ouijaboard II (21:1/128)
  • From bcw142@21:1/145.2 to Jeffs on Thu Dec 21 04:02:14 2017
    On 12/20/17, Jeffs said the following...
    I ran across something that I have seen on both the Raspberry Pi version of Mystic as well as this Lin64 version. That being when I attempt to export a echommail message to a text file. When I hit "X" to export the message I am presented with a field to enter the filename. If I enter
    just the filename I am presented with a choice of which transfer
    protocol I wish to use. I.E. Xmodem, Zmodem, Etc. If I specify a path
    AND a filename. I am not presented with a Protocol choice. But in
    neither case is the message exported to the specified filename.

It's meant to export to /mystic or whatever the mystic root is, no where
    else. If it's not exporting I'd check permissions, it's the most likely cause.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A37 2017/12/16 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Mystic AlphaTest bcw142.zapto.org:2323 (21:1/145.2)
  • From Jeffs@21:1/128 to bcw142 on Thu Dec 21 05:02:22 2017
    Hello bcw142,

It's meant to export to /mystic or whatever the mystic root is, no where else. If it's not exporting I'd check permissions, it's the most likely cause.

That was my understanding or at least my assumption. If I were to specify a export filename of say "msg.txt" and I could and did search the Mystic root directory. In my case it would be /home/mystic. I searched the root directory and all directories below the Mystic root directory. And no file of the specified filename existed. I did also check the permissions and Mystic owns and has RW access to the Mystic root directory, it contents and everything below it.

What I don't quite understand is why (as a local user) I am being presented with a choice of transfer protocols IF I am simply saving the text of a
    message to a local filename. There isn't any file transfering to be done. In
    my case if I simply specify a filename and am then asked to choose a transfer protocol. I am given a choice to choose a protocol or to quit.

It would seem logical (To me at least) that if one chooses a filename which includes a path that Mystic would expect the file to be saved locally. But as
    I indicated no specified filename gets created.

Jeff

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A37 2017/12/13 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Ouijaboard II (21:1/128)
  • From Static@21:2/140 to Jeffs on Thu Dec 21 11:43:38 2017
    On 12/21/17, Jeffs said the following...

What I don't quite understand is why (as a local user) I am being presented with a choice of transfer protocols IF I am simply saving the

Are you starting mystic in local mode with the -l switch?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A36 2017/12/03 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Subcarrier BBS (21:2/140)
  • From g00r00@21:1/108 to Jeffs on Thu Dec 21 12:16:14 2017
    What I don't quite understand is why (as a local user) I am being presented with a choice of transfer protocols IF I am simply saving the text of a message to a local filename. There isn't any file transfering

You aren't a local user if you don't login with -L to specify you are a
    local user.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A37 2017/12/20 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Sector 7 [Mystic BBS WHQ] (21:1/108)
  • From Jeff Smith@21:1/128.1 to All on Fri Dec 22 11:40:44 2017
    Hello There,

It's meant to export to /mystic or whatever the mystic root is, no where
    else. If it's not exporting I'd check permissions, it's the most likely
    cause.

What I don't quite understand is why (as a local user) I am being presented with a choice of transfer protocols IF I am simply saving the text of a message to a local filename. There isn't any file transfering to be done. In my case if I simply specify a filename and am then asked to choose a transfer protocol. I am given a choice to choose a protocol or to quit.
    It would seem logical (To me at least) that if one chooses a filename which includes a path that Mystic would expect the file to be saved locally. But as I indicated no specified filename gets created.

I must claim the responsibility for my misunderstanding of what the term "Local User" meant. I made the assumption that if I was not logging in to Mystic remotely via telnet and was logging into Mystic via the Mystic commandline that I was in fact logging locally. Actually, I was using the mailread script to read mail. I have since added the "-l" as a commandline option when invoking the Mystic mailread script.

Jeff

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3
    * Origin: FsxNet: The Ouija Board - bbs.ouijabrd.net (21:1/128.1)