• Trekkie

From Darkman Almighty@316:36/25 to All on Sat Jan 30 02:32:21 2021
    I'm a Trekkie.. or rather Treker. I grew up watching TOS and of course the movies.. but I'd say that TNG was my thing, thats when I was really into it. So much so, I ended up going to conventions. Even was part of a fan club based BBS where we released a 'zine. Not to fond of the other shows... I do like them but its not the same. The latest Picard show is really good. I still have a lot of my collection of action figures and books on display. The tv box has 24/7 TNG and TOS which I watch still all the time.. and I take full advantage of catching up.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/12/04 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (316:36/25)
  • From Bob Roberts@316:36/39 to Darkman Almighty on Fri Jan 29 18:56:56 2021
    I'm a Trekkie.. or rather Treker. I grew up watching TOS and of course the movies.. but I'd say that TNG was my thing, thats when I was really into it. So much so, I ended up going to conventions. Even was part of a fan

What years were you going to the Cons? Any famous meetings or experiences to share? I know the Con's had their hayday for awhile, then Comic-Con took all that over.

club based BBS where we released a 'zine. Not to fond of the other shows... I do like them but its not the same. The latest Picard show is really good. I still have a lot of my collection of action figures and books on display. The tv box has 24/7 TNG and TOS which I watch still all the time.. and I take full advantage of catching up.

I agree that TNG was peak Trek. I think Picard is an excellent expansion to it, and I quite enjoyed it (dispite a few flaws annoy me if I think about them too hard).

I'm actually engaged on a TNG re-watch right now, on Netflix. I'm currently about half-way thru Season 2. This is the first time I've ever watched them all end-to-end since their original broadcast and the few random episodes I'd catch during syndication. I'm enjoying it a lot. The HD conversion on Netflix are quite good, even thou the improved quality can reveal some of the "cheapness" of the sets and costumes.

I've found that even if don't remember an episode right away, I'll eventually see a scene or character I remember.

I don't have any Trek collectables, but I have a few paperbacks. The Trek item I cherish most is my copy of the Star Trek Technical Manual.

Bob Roberts
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: Halls of Valhalla -:- hovalbbs.com:2333 (316:36/39)
  • From Darkman Almighty@316:36/25 to Bob Roberts on Mon Feb 1 00:51:09 2021
    24/7 TNG and TOS which I watch still all
    the time.. and I take full advantage of catching up.

I agree that TNG was peak Trek. I think Picard is an excellent
    expansion to it, and I quite enjoyed it (dispite a few flaws annoy me if
    I think about them too hard).

I'm actually engaged on a TNG re-watch right now, on Netflix. I'm currently about half-way thru Season 2. This is the first time I've
    ever watched them all end-to-end since their original broadcast and the few random episodes I'd catch during syndication. I'm enjoying it a
    lot. The HD conversion on Netflix

That's awesome. Yeah it would make a difference to watch them chronologically in order. I don't own any of them.. surpised I know. You can really see the characters really grow through the seasons. I too agree. Picard does have some flaws and things I'm not fond of.. but I'm willing to look passed it. I wonder what season 2 will have in store.

• From Bob Roberts@316:36/39 to Darkman Almighty on Sun Jan 31 18:38:53 2021
    That's awesome. Yeah it would make a difference to watch them chronologically in order. I don't own any of them.. surpised I know. You can really see the characters really grow through the seasons. I too agree. Picard does have some flaws and things I'm not fond of.. but I'm willing to look passed it. I wonder what season 2 will have in store.

Lots to look forward to in Trek in General.
    - Picard Season 2
    - New show around Philippa Georgiou
    - New show around Pike
    - Whatever Paramount+ brings us (hopefully all Trek gathered in one place for once)

Bob Roberts
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Dream Master@316:36/44 to Bob Roberts on Sun Jan 31 22:47:01 2021
    - Picard Season 2
    - New show around Pike
    - Whatever Paramount+ brings us (hopefully all Trek gathered in one place for once)

Picard Season 2 - Most definitely. It'll be nice to see if they keep 7 of 9.

Georgiou - I'd love to see a story where they cross paths again with Discovery Prime.

Pike - In a word, YES!

Paramount+, I'm starting to question keeping cable. I have Netflix, CBS All Access, Discovery+, Sundance, and Amazon Prime. :|

Brian Klauss <-> Dream Master
    Caught in a Dream | caughtinadream.com a Synchronet BBS
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com (316:36/44)
  • From Bob Roberts@316:36/39 to Dream Master on Mon Feb 1 09:48:55 2021
    - Picard Season 2
    - New show around Pike
    - Whatever Paramount+ brings us (hopefully all Trek gathered in one

Pike - In a word, YES!

This is the one I'm most interested in as well. I really liked Pike, reminds me a bit of Kirk. I'm hoping they don't get too weird with it, like they did in Season 1 of Discovery.

Paramount+, I'm starting to question keeping cable. I have Netflix, CBS All Access, Discovery+, Sundance, and Amazon Prime. :|

Yeah. I dropped traditional cable about a year ago and love it! Even with all the subscriptions AND YouTube TV (for live stuff) I save a good amount of money. If you do need live TV for Sports or News or whatever, I'd recommend checking out YouTube TV. Their DVR features are excellent. I run all this on Apple TV boxes connected to each tv.

I was able to leverage my Verizon sub to get Discovery+, Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+, and Apple Music for no additional cost. Apple TV+ is still free from Apple. Then I pay for Netflix, CBS All Access/Showtime (via Apple TV), Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Max. It's a lot of Services, but we're stuck at home all the time because of Covid, so worth it for now.

Bob Roberts
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From phigan@316:36/1 to Darkman Almighty on Tue Feb 2 21:54:32 2021
    On 30 Jan 2021, Darkman Almighty said the following...

I'm a Trekkie.. or rather Treker. I grew up watching TOS and of course
    the movies.. but I'd say that TNG was my thing, thats when I was really into it. So much so, I ended up going to conventions. Even was part of a fan club based BBS where we released a 'zine. Not to fond of the other

You sound like me.. Are you sure you're not me?

I was in the UFP - United Federation of Phoenix. Man, it was silly.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/09/12 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Raiders Inc BBS -- vintagebbsing.com:1337 (316:36/1)
  • From Dream Master@316:36/44 to Bob Roberts on Tue Feb 2 22:06:39 2021
    Pike - In a word, YES!

This is the one I'm most interested in as well. I really liked Pike, reminds me a bit of Kirk. I'm hoping they don't get too weird with it, like they did in Season 1 of Discovery.

With how Discovery "augmented" the universe, even fast forwarding in time, since the timeline hasn't moved to the Kirk Enterprise and went from Prime to the Alternate universe, I wonder how they'll spin the whole Pike episodes, Menagerie, etc., into the series.

Yeah. I dropped traditional cable about a year ago and love it! Even with all the subscriptions AND YouTube TV (for live stuff) I save a good amount of money. If you do need live TV for Sports or News or whatever, I'd recommend checking out YouTube TV. Their DVR features are excellent. I run all this on Apple TV boxes connected to each tv.

We tried dumping cable some years ago and went to DirecTV NOW (Internet-based), for all live-based shows, but it just didn't seem the same.

I was able to leverage my Verizon sub to get Discovery+, Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+, and Apple Music for no additional cost. Apple TV+ is still free from Apple. Then I pay for Netflix, CBS All Access/Showtime (via Apple TV), Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Max. It's a lot of Services, but we're stuck at home all the time because of Covid, so worth it for now.

Disney+, Discovery+, Sundance, Netflix, CBS All Access, and Amazon Prime, I'm really starting to questioning the expense of everything involved. I hate the way Comcast lags occasionally (voice is faster than than the mouths). At least with streaming it never fails.

Brian Klauss <-> Dream Master
    Caught in a Dream | caughtinadream.com a Synchronet BBS
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
    * Origin: Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com (316:36/44)
  • From Bob Roberts@316:36/39 to Dream Master on Wed Feb 3 08:35:43 2021
    We tried dumping cable some years ago and went to DirecTV NOW (Internet-based), for all live-based shows, but it just didn't seem the same.

I tried DirecTV Now prior to using YouTube TV. What was good about DirecTV Now was that their channels have 5.1 audio (sadly YTTV is 2.0 only). What's bad about DirecTV now is literally everything else. It's more expensive, the navigation is wierd, and with their new pricing structures (as ATT rolls their various streaming services into the same umbrella) mimic Cable with contracts and hidden pricing.

Out of the streaming services I've tried (DTV-Now, YTTV, Hulu Live), YTTV wins in navigation and ease of use hands down. It's also the only service that lets you hide and reorder channels in the on-screen guide, which is wonderfully amazing to filter out the crap you don't want.

Disney+, Discovery+, Sundance, Netflix, CBS All Access, and Amazon Prime, I'm really starting to questioning the expense of everything involved. I hate the way Comcast lags occasionally (voice is faster than than the mouths). At least with streaming it never fails.

Audio sync issues are a sign of video processing taking longer then audio. It's most common when running your signal thru an AVR for surround sound audio (5.1+). In that case the AVR should have an audio sync adjustment to delay the audio so it can match with the video.

If you're not using an AVR for audio, then thats really horrible, as it indicates the Comcast cable box (or perhaps your TV itself) can't keep up with the video decoding.

Bob Roberts
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Bob Roberts@316:36/39 to phigan on Wed Feb 3 08:36:59 2021
    I'm a Trekkie.. or rather Treker. I grew up watching TOS and of
    course the movies.. but I'd say that TNG was my thing, thats when I
    was really into it. So much so, I ended up going to conventions.

Oooo. Please tell stories! I missed out on all that stuff.

Bob Roberts
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Darkman Almighty@316:36/25 to phigan on Fri Feb 5 02:06:18 2021
    You sound like me.. Are you sure you're not me?

right? yeah we were not alone. We might be fans of trek... have posters, models, and cards.. prob all the movies on DVD.. might even have some shirts.. but one thing I learned going to conventions... there are people that are far more into it then I.. and it kinda makes you feel that you are not a fan enough. Anyway for some its a way of life. My buddy was into it, he actually was fitted for a uniform but he did not wear it out. So that tells me that there are limitations haha. Fun times.

• From Darkman Almighty@316:36/25 to Bob Roberts on Fri Feb 5 02:11:13 2021

- Picard Season 2
    - New show around Pike
    - Whatever Paramount+ brings us (hopefully all Trek gathered in one
    place for once)

Bob Roberts
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

It's nice that there is some shows out there which keep the trek dream alive. Even if some don't find them all that.. they are watched... and sometimes its enough for newcomers to revisit the franchise from the beginning.

• From phigan@316:36/1 to Bob Roberts on Fri Feb 19 21:57:17 2021

Like Darkman said, some of those people were WAY more into it than I thought you could be. When it was online/on the BBSes, it was all in good fun. After attending several gatherings, though, I got a little creeped out and
    eventually stopped attending in person :). I didn't have my own full
    uniform.

No specific stories, unfortunately. Some of the people from the clubs were pretty cool.. Just regular Trek fans and computer geeks.. but they were the minority.

• From Bob Roberts@316:36/39 to phigan on Sat Feb 20 09:54:51 2021

Like Darkman said, some of those people were WAY more into it than I thought you could be. When it was online/on the BBSes, it was all in good fun. After attending several gatherings, though, I got a little creeped out and eventually stopped attending in person :). I didn't have my own full uniform.

People can get obsessive about most anything it seems. Politics, fandom, collections. I know I will often consider myself a "fan" of something, such as Trek, or Home Theater. But then I start to explore the topics online and there are always those who seem to take it to the next level -- to the point of driving it into the ground. Sure, I like Taylor Swift, but I don't have the lyrics to the song she wrote about her 15 year old boyfriend memorized -- both versions including the misprint in the Japanese liner notes -- but there are always people that do.

No specific stories, unfortunately. Some of the people from the clubs were pretty cool.. Just regular Trek fans and computer geeks.. but they were the minority.

My wife dragged me to an Anime Con in San Jose once. It was a scary place. Even she eventually got freaked out about it. We didn't have costumes or anything, she just wanted to look at the items for sale. What really grossed me out was the creepy photographers who had obviously pro or semi-pro setups, (including lights and backdrops) gathered out front taking photos of the girls (always the girls) in their anime costumes. Who knows what creeper website those photos show up on? When a dude has 20k of camera gear and he's offering to take free photos of you, that should set off alarm bells.

Bob Roberts
    --- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
  • From Darkman Almighty@316:36/25 to phigan on Fri Feb 26 02:59:10 2021
    Like Darkman said, some of those people were WAY more into it than I thoughtyou could be. When it was online/on the BBSes, it was all in good fun. Afterattending several gatherings, though, I got a little creeped
    out andeventually stopped attending in person :). I didn't have my own fulluniform.
    No specific stories, unfortunately. Some of the people from the clubs werepretty cool.. Just regular Trek fans and computer geeks.. but they were theminority.

Agreed. I had the pleasure of attending 3 conventions myself.. and really, its just a nerds paradise of trek. The highlight was always getting to meet one of the actors for an autograph and/or hear them up on a stage. I was able to meet Sulu, Scotty, Troi, but when I saw Riker he was just doing a talk. For the most part, it was tables and tables of merchandise. If anything it was a good place to get some merchandise that at the time was not available locally. I can't think of anything memorable besides that but for the early 90's it was exciting to attend. Now, today, they have these comic cons and I've been to a few of those and the usual convention arrangement and yes, there are some very passionate fans there too.

• From phigan@316:36/1 to Darkman Almighty on Wed Mar 3 18:57:26 2021
    really, its just a nerds paradise of trek. The highlight was always getting to meet one of the actors for an autograph and/or hear them up
    on a stage. I was able to meet Sulu, Scotty, Troi, but when I saw Riker

Yes, very much this. I met Sulu, Warf, and Crusher (she didn't like being there). Getting the really cool prop-quality phasers and pins was my main reason to go, though, I think. It's not quite the same at Comicon..

My wife and I snuck into Comicon one time just walking around looking like we were finding our kid or something... Who happens to walk around the corner,
    but Will Wheaton! Said hi, he smiled and waved back, but that was it :).

• From Darkman Almighty@316:36/25 to phigan on Sat Mar 20 00:54:04 2021
    Yes, very much this. I met Sulu, Warf, and Crusher (she didn't like being there). Getting the really cool prop-quality phasers and pins was my main reason to go, though, I think. It's not quite the same at Comicon..
    My wife and I snuck into Comicon one time just walking around looking
    like wewere finding our kid or something... Who happens to walk around
    the corner,but Will Wheaton! Said hi, he smiled and waved back, but that was it :).

yes! thats awesome. yeah really about the swag when you go and no comicons are not the same feeling and idk if its because the purpose is not targeted or what but it seem saturated like so commercialized. A lot of the swag at comicons can easily be found now at comic book stores or toysrus..ha maybe walmart but even more so online. Early 90's you never had that luxury. Ha. Wil Wheaton is pretty cool. I've watched his tabletop gaming videos a few times. Pretty cool story either way.

.-=/)arkman /\lmighty=-.