• Masks...

From Jon Justvig@316:36/8 to All on Sun Jul 12 23:19:41 2020
    What's the deal with masks and are they really effective? Looking at comparisons, it looks like we're starting to look like Muslims.

-cr1mson
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: Stepping Stone BBS -- steppingstonebbs.com (316:36/8)
  • From Nelgin@316:719/3 to Jon Justvig on Tue Jul 14 04:05:10 2020
    Jon wrote:
    What's the deal with masks and are they really effective? Looking at
    comparisons, it looks like we're starting to look like Muslims.

I'm not sure whether masks are effective or now, however I wear one whenever I interact with someone, and nobody is going to get close to me without wearing one. You have to wear one to enter restaurants and most stores. It makes
    sense. It never hurts anyone to be cautious, especially when there's a comminicable disease going around. I'm not sure why there are so many people against masks. Those of who lived through the whole AIDS outbreak of the 80's were told to practice safe sex. Sure, it wasn't mandated by the government,
    but it could save someone elses life. It could save your life.

Even if you don't like wearing a mask, wear it as a courtesy to others.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (316:719/3)
  • From Dr. What@316:36/21 to Nelgin on Wed Jul 15 11:03:00 2020
    Nelgin wrote to Jon Justvig <=-

Unless you are currently infected, wearing a mask does absolutely nothing but make the
    uneducated "feel" good.

... "Good morning!" is an opinion, not a greeting.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.10-Win32
    * Origin: Two Dudes BBS | TwoDudesBBS.com | 316:36/21 | (316:36/21)
  • From Nelgin@316:719/3 to Dr. What on Fri Jul 24 10:58:51 2020
    Dr. wrote:
    Nelgin wrote to Jon Justvig <=-

Unless you are currently infected, wearing a mask does absolutely nothing but make the
    uneducated "feel" good.

Feel free to take your chances.
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (316:719/3)
  • From Nightfox@316:36/30 to Jon Justvig on Sat Jul 25 13:24:48 2020
    Re: Masks...
    By: Jon Justvig to All on Sun Jul 12 2020 11:19 pm

What's the deal with masks and are they really effective? Looking at comparisons, it looks like we're starting to look like Muslims.

What comparisons are you looking at?
    I don't think it looks like Muslims.. As far as I know, traditionally just women of Muslim faith wear head coverings. I think traditionally they'd wear a full head covering except the eyes, but I've known a few here who only wear a covering over their

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (316:36/30)
  • From Jon Justvig@316:36/8 to Nightfox on Tue Sep 29 12:11:37 2020
    By: Nightfox to Jon Justvig on Sat Jul 25 2020 13:24:48

By: Jon Justvig to All on Sun Jul 12 2020 11:19 pm

comparisons, it looks like we're starting to look like Muslims.

What comparisons are you looking at?

Comparing whether wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. Is this a hoax? Is the virus real? Is it purely political?

I don't think it looks like Muslims.. As far as I know, traditionally just women of Muslim faith wear head coverings. I think traditionally they'd wear a full head covering except the eyes, but I've known a few here who o

What I mean like, is that we're starting to look like Muslims, first it's covering our face, what's next, with women, are they're going to hide their hair as well, wear a certain type of clothes?
    ===

Sincerely,
    Jon Justvig

Stepping Stone BBS
    telnet://steppingstonebbs.com
    http://steppingstonebbs.com
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
  • From Nightfox@316:36/30 to Jon Justvig on Tue Sep 29 11:08:38 2020
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Tue Sep 29 2020 12:11 pm

Comparing whether wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. Is this a hoax? Is the virus real? Is it purely political?

What I mean like, is that we're starting to look like Muslims, first it's covering our face, what's next, with women, are they're going to hide their hair as well, wear a certain type of clothes? ===

Generally I wouldn't put too much trust in conspiracy theories. And this is the first time I've heard anyone trying to suggest people trying to make people look like Muslims. I'm not quite sure what the face masks has to do with looking like Muslims anyway, and I don't think someone wearing a face mask makes them look like a Muslim. People might wear one of those masks for various reasons. For instance, I've heard people in China often wear one of those masks due to either pollution and/or trying to control viruses.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (316:36/30)
  • From Arelor@316:36/8 to Jon Justvig on Tue Oct 6 12:18:02 2020
    Re: Re: Masks...
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Wed Sep 30 2020 06:56 am

... Nightfox scribbled to Jon Justvig in the sand ... Ni>> Re: Masks... Ni>> By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Tue Sep 29 2020 12:11 pm JJ>> Comparing whether wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. Is this a JJ>> hoax? Is the virus real? Is it purely political? JJ>> What I mean like, is that we're starting to look like Muslims, first JJ>> it's covering our face, what's next, with women, are they're going JJ>> to hide their hair as well, wear a certain type of clothes? === Ni>> Generally I wouldn't put too much trust in conspiracy theories. And Ni>> this is the first time I've heard anyone trying to suggest people Ni>> trying to make people look like Muslims. I'm not quite sure what Ni>> the face masks has to do with looking like Muslims anyway, and I Ni>> don't think someone wearing a face mask makes them look like a Ni>> Muslim. People might wear one of those masks for various reasons. Ni>> For instance, I've heard people in China often wear one of those Ni>> masks due to either pollution and/or trying to control viruses. JJ> It always starts small.Haha, dunno. I used to look more like a muslim terrorist myself back in the day. I had a long talibanesque beard. Local gypsies would cross the sidewalk when I was about, that was how my looks were.I'd have looked like less of a taliban with the mask...

===
    þ Synchronet þ Stepping Stone BBS telnet://vintagebbsing.com:2023
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
  • From Jon Justvig@316:36/8 to Arelor on Tue Oct 6 16:51:00 2020
    ... Arelor scribbled to Jon Justvig in the sand ...

By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Tue Sep 29 2020 12:11 pm

Comparing whether wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. Is this a
    hoax? Is the virus real? Is it purely political?

What I mean like, is that we're starting to look like Muslims, first
    it's covering our face, what's next, with women, are they're going
    to hide their hair as well, wear a certain type of clothes? ===

Generally I wouldn't put too much trust in conspiracy theories. And
    this is the first time I've heard anyone trying to suggest people
    trying to make people look like Muslims. I'm not quite sure what
    the face masks has to do with looking like Muslims anyway, and I
    don't think someone wearing a face mask makes them look like a
    Muslim. People might wear one of those masks for various reasons.
    For instance, I've heard people in China often wear one of those
    masks due to either pollution and/or trying to control viruses.

It always starts small.

Haha, dunno. I used to look more like a muslim terrorist myself back in the day. I had a long talibanesque beard. Local gypsies would cross the sidewalk when I was about, that was how my looks were.

I guess it really doesn't matter what we look like, but if we're to look anything other than we like is to lessen our liberty to express ourselves as long as we're decent individuals.

I'd have looked like less of a taliban with the mask...

lolz.

Sincerely,
    Jon Jsutvig

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
    === MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
  • From paulie420@316:36/34 to Jon Justvig on Sun Nov 1 14:06:19 2020
    comparisons, it looks like we're starting to look like Muslims. Comparing whether wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. Is this a hoax?
    Isthe virus real? Is it purely political?

What I mean like, is that we're starting to look like Muslims, first it's covering our face, what's next, with women, are they're going to hide theirhair as well, wear a certain type of clothes?
    ===

I couldn't disagree more...

Its simple, and yes I understand that a mask won't stop a virus coming thru and infecting a person... but its very simple:

Science shows that mask wearing slows down the general spread of the Coronavirus. Period - I think we have a duty to society to wear them; and, preactice other intelligent science-backed mitigation techniques.

Keep 6 feet. Wear a mask. Wash our hands often, practice better than normal hygiene. Stay home, with your immediate family, when you don't need to be outside. Attempt to minimize gatherings, especially during the upcoming holidays. Etc etc.

We're approaching 1000 deaths per day and the growth is exponential... yes, I'm sure some % of that isn't directly a cause of coronavirus.. but to pretend its a hoax or not an actual virus, IMO, is the reason we're going to lose more Americans than we need to.

I'm not stopping my life; but I am doing the smart, science-based mitigation techniques that are suggested by the CDC.

Its kinda like... what they do.
    :shrug: If I'm wrong, we were inconvenienced... if current society is wrong, they screw it up for... our entire society. I don't see how we can't.

Kinda like the heaven and hell thing, eh??? Sure we all have free-will... but is that the best way to practice it?

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/10/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (316:36/34)
  • From Black Panther@316:36/17 to paulie420 on Sun Nov 1 21:46:02 2020
    On 01 Nov 2020, 02:06p, paulie420 said the following...

I couldn't disagree more...

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Its simple, and yes I understand that a mask won't stop a virus coming thru andinfecting a person... but its very simple:

If the mask doesn't stop the virus coming through, than why is it now a requirement to wear it?

Science shows that mask wearing slows down the general spread of the Coronavirus. Period - I think we have a duty to society to wear them; and,preactice other intelligent science-backed mitigation techniques.

On the contrary. There are many scientific studies that all state wearing a mask actually does more harm than good. It will not stop a virus.

Keep 6 feet. Wear a mask. Wash our hands often, practice better than normalhygiene. Stay home, with your immediate family, when you don't
    need to beoutside. Attempt to minimize gatherings, especially during the upcomingholidays. Etc etc.

None of these items will have any influence on you or your family contracting the virus.

We're approaching 1000 deaths per day and the growth is exponential... yes, I'msure some % of that isn't directly a cause of coronavirus.. but
    to pretend itsa hoax or not an actual virus, IMO, is the reason we're going to lose moreAmericans than we need to.

Take a look at the statistics for cases of the seasonal flu. Nobody is dying right now of anything other than this virus. My mother-in-law just passed away a week ago of cancer. Her death certificate states it was "Corona Virus - with underlying health issues". She did not have the virus, as she was tested every time she went in for treatment. The latest was 2 days before she passed.

This is a virus. To date, we have NEVER been able to stop a virus. Why is the common cold still here? We have a seasonal flu vaccine, so the seasonal flu should be completely gone, right?

I'm not stopping my life; but I am doing the smart, science-based mitigationtechniques that are suggested by the CDC.

We don't have to stop our lives. It seems the governors of many states are doing that for us. All in the name of Pseudo-Science.

Just in Albuquerque alone, over 800 small businesses have closed their doors for good. Our governor is forcing extreme, undue restrictions on businesses, so they can not survive. Basically, she is killing an already weak economy in the state.

Its kinda like... what they do.
    :shrug: If I'm wrong, we were inconvenienced... if current society is wrong,they screw it up for... our entire society. I don't see how we can't.

Inconvenienced? I've now been unemployed for over 2 months because of this crap. At this rate, we'll be homeless by Christmas. All in the name of corona.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    http://github.com/DRPanther
    The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/10/31 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (316:36/17)
  • From paulie420@316:36/34 to Black Panther on Mon Nov 2 08:09:01 2020
    If the mask doesn't stop the virus coming through, than why is it now a requirement to wear it?

Because it slows the virus; its not about protecting the 1 person, its about protecting society. Its not about you or me, its about our entire country.

[I know you don't think so - but it is my argument that the better than half of our nation who agrees with you is the reason why:]

We don't have to stop our lives. It seems the governors of many states
    are doing that for us. All in the name of Pseudo-Science.

Just in Albuquerque alone, over 800 small businesses have closed their doors for good. Our governor is forcing extreme, undue restrictions on businesses, so
    they can not survive. Basically, she is killing an already weak economy
    in the state.

I think here is where maybe we could find some mutal agreement. I agree with you that this even has allowed some of our government, both federal and state, to overstep their boundaries. I fully agree with you that we shouldn't shut down our economy - and [my friends are in the bar business, in Austin TX...] whats already happened to businesses across this country is DISGUSTING. I can't believe that those at the top so quickly gave up on the bars, restaurants and small biz's that MAKE this country.

I [would] agree with you that our FREEDOMS trump all - even the mitigation practices I talked about...
    I do think, however, that those in power would have less if we'd all come together and show that we can live and work within the guidelines set by the CDC. [OR, we can come together and vote that side out of our offices... but we kinda missed the mark on that one of this historic event, already.]

Inconvenienced? I've now been unemployed for over 2 months because of
    this crap. At this rate, we'll be homeless by Christmas. All in the name of corona.

This is the worst bit. :/ I can only imagine... I think one reason I go with mitigation, that your right... doesn't protect ME or even MY FAMILY, is because I eat what I kill... I have no other choice that to goto work every morning; earn a living off lessened sales, weak economy no matter what Trump is saying - I feel it, and both citizens who could care less/are mad at the situation and others who are scared to death.

I just live in the middle - where I want to do the intelligent things; I do believe masks *slow* this virus. Broad strokes; peoples coughs stay closer... people aren't breathing all over the people they're close to.

The most important part is getting American's to work, earning their careers and not changing their lives. This isn't good for any of us, BP... we've all been struggling - I just wish we could doso together; I understand your anger... hope you find good work soon.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From Black Panther@316:36/17 to paulie420 on Mon Nov 2 12:24:08 2020
    Hey Paulie,

First of all, please do not take my post personally. I'm not trying, in any way, to attack you. I've just hit a tipping point with all of the mis-information and psuedo-science being passed around as 'fact'.

On 02 Nov 2020, 08:09a, paulie420 said the following...

If the mask doesn't stop the virus coming through, than why is it now requirement to wear it?

Because it slows the virus; its not about protecting the 1 person, its aboutprotecting society. Its not about you or me, its about our entire country.

There is no scientific evidence that a mask even slows the spread of a virus. If you look at the size of the virus, which is ~125 nanometers, or .125 micron. Even with the larger particles to transmit the virus, either aerosols or droplets, the size is between 0.02 and 0.14 microns.

The masks that people are being told are the 'best' are the N95 masks. According to Honeywell, these will 'remove 95% of .3+ micron-particles'. We won't even get into the valve on these.

However, most people are using a cloth mask of some sort, which allow much larger particles through with no problems.

"In 2015, we conducted a randomized controlled trial to compare the efficacy of cloth masks with that of medical masks and controls (standard practice) among healthcare workers in Vietnam. Rates of infection were consistently higher among those in the cloth mask group than in the medical mask and control groups. This finding suggests that risk for infection was higher for those wearing cloth masks."

Chughtai, A. A., Seale, H., & Macintyre, C. (2020). Effectiveness of Cloth Masks for Protection Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 26(10), 1-5. https://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid2610.200948.

[I know you don't think so - but it is my argument that the better than half ofour nation who agrees with you is the reason why:]

Mass media is a powerful way of spreading propaganda.

---

Black Panther(RCS)
    aka Dan Richter
    Castle Rock BBS
    telnet://bbs.castlerockbbs.com
    http://www.castlerockbbs.com
    http://github.com/DRPanther
    The sparrows are flying again...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/10/31 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Castle Rock BBS - bbs.castlerockbbs.com (316:36/17)
  • From paulie420@316:36/34 to Black Panther on Tue Nov 3 13:29:58 2020
    Hey Paulie,

First of all, please do not take my post personally. I'm not trying, in anyway, to attack you. I've just hit a tipping point with all of the mis-information and psuedo-science being passed around as 'fact'.

We spoke, and last point on this topic by me, here, is that the views of others is very important - and often persuades me to expand my thought to different views. Your words, here and before, didn't fall on deaf ears- nor were taken as personal attacks or... negatively.

We've all went through hard times this year, I assume, and having you all as friends to discuss, debate and learn from is something that I value dearly.

Just to reiterate, my views weren't posted as a personal attacked, either - and the same as you, I've been pushing to breaking points during this entire year - none of which were the cause of your posts. Thanks for info, debate and a different point of view.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o