• Recent CME caused issues for satterlite tv?

From Brian Gaff (Sofa)@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 11 10:05:10 2021
    I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this
    morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth upsetting propagation. However since the sats are so high in frequency and beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.
    Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
    The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
    briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    Blind user, so no pictures please
    Note this Signature is meaningless.!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tweed@21:1/5 to briang1@blueyonder.co.uk on Sat Dec 11 10:29:19 2021
    Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth upsetting propagation. However since the sats are so high in frequency and beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.
    Brian

It’s the wind. Direct broadcast satellite frequencies are much too high to
    be affected by the ionosphere. The only real danger from a coronal mass ejection is that the energetic particles could damage the satellite electronics. That would cause the transmissions to cease. Radiation
    hardened electronics and passive shielding techniques for spacecraft are a known technology these days.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Hall@21:1/5 to briang1@blueyonder.co.uk on Sat Dec 11 10:52:22 2021
    No problems with Sky here. Admittedly I don't watch an awful lot of TV,
    and it's possible there were problems when I wasn't watching.

John Hall

In message <sp1t4s$hei$1@dont-email.me>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
    I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the >official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this >morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently >this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth >upsetting propagation. However since the sats are so high in frequency and >beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly >pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.
    Brian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Tobin@21:1/5 to briang1@blueyonder.co.uk on Sun Dec 12 12:15:25 2021
    In article <sp1t4s$hei$1@dont-email.me>,
    Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the >official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this >morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently >this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth >upsetting propagation.

Unlikely. All recent solar events have been fairly minor. And if
    they caused problems, it will be a lot worse in a couple of years -
    we're just coming out of a regular solar minimum.

However since the sats are so high in frequency and
    beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly >pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.

Wind is much more likely I think!

-- Richard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05