• ROT: (US) Vinyl records outsell CDs for first time in decades

From Java Jive@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 14 10:44:28 2023
    Vinyl records outsell CDs for first time in decades https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/64919126

"""
    Last year's vinyl record sales demonstrate that vinyl is "cementing its
    role as a fixture of the modern music marketplace," RIAA Chairman and
    CEO Mitch Glazier said in a post on Medium.

"Music lovers clearly can't get enough of the high-quality sound and
    tangible connection to artists vinyl delivers," Glazier said, "and
    labels have squarely met that demand with a steady stream of exclusives, special reissues, and beautifully crafted packages and discs."
    """

<Raspberry>

High quality sound like this ... www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/MaryOHaraSpanishLady_Sample.mp3

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we all revert back to Logie
    Baird's first TV experiments claiming they are somehow truer to life
    than modern HD TV.

--

Fake news kills!

I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website:
    www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Tue Mar 14 14:10:39 2023
    On 14/03/2023 10:44, Java Jive wrote:

Is it not more that sales of CDs have dropped?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 14 16:50:54 2023
    On 14/03/2023 14:10, MB wrote:

Is it not more that sales of CDs have dropped?

That is definitely the case, but I wasn't really interested in the
    reasons, and their relative weighting, behind the numbers, more in
    blowing a raspberry at the pretentious claims that I quoted.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Gaff@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Thu Mar 16 12:11:50 2023
    Yes old news. What that is about is the success of subscriptions to digital content. However many who have surround sound systems are now buying DVD/Bluerays of the same music mixed with multiple channels. I'm told that Beatles Abbey Road and M Jackson's Thriller are best sellers in these
    formats.
    I suspect that not enough good quality recordings are on CD, too much compression and distortion. With Vinyl you probably get a masking effect as
    the dynamics were always worse than a cd.
    I am just glad we moved away due to the snap crackle and pop. I do not buy
    as many cds, but a while back I bought Abba Voyage, and although the quality
    is OK there could be more dynamics. Now one item came with a free dvd of
    the same concert, but extended. This was Post Modern Juke Box. The DVD sound was far better than the CD sound and you got more tracks.
    Interesting. It might well, in the future be more useful buying the all sining all dancing versions on dvd than the cd or any other format.
    Brian

--

--:
    This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
    The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
    briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    Blind user, so no pictures please
    Note this Signature is meaningless.!
    "Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message news:tupj6e$a0nr$1@dont-email.me...
    Vinyl records outsell CDs for first time in decades https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/64919126

"""
    role as a fixture of the modern music marketplace," RIAA Chairman and CEO Mitch Glazier said in a post on Medium.

tangible connection to artists vinyl delivers," Glazier said, "and labels have squarely met that demand with a steady stream of exclusives, special reissues, and beautifully crafted packages and discs."
    """

<Raspberry>

High quality sound like this ... www.macfh.co.uk/Temp/MaryOHaraSpanishLady_Sample.mp3

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we all revert back to Logie Baird's first TV experiments claiming they are somehow truer to life than modern HD TV.

--

Fake news kills!

I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website: www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Brian Gaff on Thu Mar 16 12:34:50 2023
    On 16/03/2023 12:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
    Interesting. It might well, in the future be more useful buying the all sining all dancing versions on dvd than the cd or any other format.

A few of my CDs now have scratches and marks on them probably my 'HiFi'
    sysetm held six CD and several of the 'magazines' that hold them are broken.

I using MP3 copies in my Roberts radio but would rather like something
    more 'user friendly' with a better display and controls, perhaps a SSD
    to hold everything rather than a memory stick.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Thu Mar 16 15:29:16 2023
    On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:44:28 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

"""

labels have squarely met that demand with a steady stream of exclusives, special reissues, and beautifully crafted packages and discs."
    """

<Raspberry>

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we all revert back to Logie Baird's first TV experiments claiming they are somehow truer to life
    than modern HD TV.

Probably makes those who are only used to digital music feel more
    connected to the whole thing.

As opposed to an older generation who spent time recording to cassette
    tapes to make life easier.
    Who also took to CDs with enthusiasm because you didn't have to get up and
    turn the disc over halfway through the album.

Let us see how long it lasts.

Cheers

Dave R

--
    AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to MB@nospam.net on Tue Apr 4 10:00:07 2023
    In article <tuv2d9$1dkkc$1@dont-email.me>, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

A few of my CDs now have scratches and marks on them probably my 'HiFi' sysetm held six CD and several of the 'magazines' that hold them are
    broken.

I using MP3 copies in my Roberts radio but would rather like something
    more 'user friendly' with a better display and controls, perhaps a SSD
    to hold everything rather than a memory stick.

I just convert CDs/Lps to flac files. Then play then using a convenient 'computer' + DAC, or a DAP into a HiFi system. Makes playing some
    combination of items in series convenient and easy.

Jim

--
    Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me. Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
    biog http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/history/ups_and_downs.html
    Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Wed Apr 5 10:27:58 2023
    "Jim Lesurf" <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message news:5a8fbfaf46noise@audiomisc.co.uk...

sysetm held six CD and several of the 'magazines' that hold them are
    broken.

Yes, scratches and marks can affect CDs. But they'd affect vinyl a lot more. When CDs had first come out, in the early 80s, a group of us from university went to a local hifi shop to hear a demo of CD versus vinyl. The difference
    was fairly astounding, especially given that the demo vinyl record had
    probably been played many times and was a bit dirty and scratched.

The salesman concluded his sales pitch by pulling out a sewing needle and scratching his demo CD. There was no audible effect. My mate, who was a big burly guy, built like a brick shithouse, said "Give me that." And he gouged
    a trench in the CD. The salesman went pale. When the CD was played, there
    was a bit of noise and skipping. "*Now* I'm impressed," my mate said, "Do
    that to a record and you'd rip the f-ing needle off". In hindsight, a radial scratch is probably less of a problem then a circumferential one, because it probably makes a small, maskable error in many samples some distance apart, rather than totally obliterating a few consecutive samples.

I wonder if the reason that vinyl outsells CD is that most people are
    prepared to accept MP3 or FLAC downloads, as long as the bitrate is high enough. Only audiophiles will be buying physical media, because you can't download vinyl.

My verdict on CD versus LP is that CD wins hands down. The extra dynamic
    range and the almost complete lack of noise (mastering tape; dust, scratches
    on LP) is a big bonus. Yes, vinyl sounds slightly more mellow, but I imagine
    a lot of that is due to the RIAA compression and expansion stages involved
    in listening to vinyl. I wonder if some of the people who criticise CD for sounding cold and clinical would make the same comment about the master tape that was used to make an LP, or the live sound from the mixing desk (mic-amp-speakers, with no recording): is it the RIAA imperfections that
    they prefer?

I heard of a study which tested that: they got a band (out of earshot of the audience) to play live, with a given mike and mixing setup, then they played
    a CD with the same setup, an LP with that setup, and a CD with RIAA compression/decompression applied. The audience did not know what the
    different setups were; all they heard was the same music played several
    times. The live and CD scored similarly, the LP and CD-with-RIAA scored similarly, but differently to the live/CD. That suggests it is not the conversion to digital, the reproduction through a CD and the conversion back
    to analogue; it seems that people prefer RIAA limitations. Maybe there is a market for CD players to have a preset which mimics the slightly different gain/frequency characteristics of an LP, maybe even with some random dust crackle and the occasional scratch-ticks added electronically ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Wed Apr 5 11:09:25 2023
    In article <5a8fbfaf46noise@audiomisc.co.uk>,
    Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

A few of my CDs now have scratches and marks on them probably my
    'HiFi' sysetm held six CD and several of the 'magazines' that
    hold them are broken.

I using MP3 copies in my Roberts radio but would rather like
    something more 'user friendly' with a better display and
    controls, perhaps a SSD to hold everything rather than a memory
    stick.

I just convert CDs/Lps to flac files. Then play then using a
    convenient 'computer' + DAC, or a DAP into a HiFi system. Makes
    playing some combination of items in series convenient and easy.

For what it's worth...

Get a NAS, second hand is fine with a new drive.

As Jim says, rip your music to flac not Mp3. Mp3 is not lossless and
    throws away information and like the B&Q sale, when it's gone, it's
    gone. Flac is compressed but losslessly and the files are not quite
    as small as MP3 but if you have the storage of a NAS then there is
    plenty of room so not an issue.

When ripping, read up on tagging and get it right for you from the
    start, good ripping software like dBpoweramp offer several tags
    already filled in, usually a choice of 3 sets for you to choose from.
    Tagging is important but many don't realise this until they're done
    so many without it that it's a daunting task.
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

On the NAS install a UPnP server like Minimserver.
    https://minimserver.com/
    You can then send music to any UPnP or open home player anywhere in
    your home. Several with different music at the same time if you wish.

Control from any smart phone or tablet.
    Select your source server from a list automatically found.
    Select your player device from a list automatically found.
    Select your music, tap it, listen to it.

One index for the whole system and the players don't even need to be
    switched on to re-index following any changes to your music library.

You can make a fabulous player with a Raspberry pi.

IMHO, for music in the home, all else is gaslight.

If you have devices that insist on using a samba SMB connection to
    the server then that's also not a problem for a NAS, it's bread and
    butter. Those systems are not as good though, they generally each
    need their own index stored on the player and swapping from one smb
    source to another is usually technical requiring some understanding
    of UNC paths. They'll all need individual indexing too.

For the use as a music server, I recommend a Synology NAS running DSM
    V6 not V7 (V7 of DSM can't run bubbleUPnP) and having either an ARM 7
    or ARM 8 CPU. These have low power consumption and a maths co-pro so
    can do on the fly down conversion for 192K/24 to CD 44K1/16 for kit
    that can't do the full monty should you have any. It is possible to
    "downgrade" a V7 to a V6 just ask if you want to know how.

All of course in the very unlikely event that anyone takes any
    notice. :-)

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 5 03:26:00 2023
    On Wednesday, 5 April 2023 at 10:27:52 UTC+1, NY wrote:
    "Jim Lesurf" <no...@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message news:5a8fbfa...@audiomisc.co.uk...
    In article <tuv2d9$1dkkc$1...@dont-email.me>, MB <M...@nospam.net> wrote:

A few of my CDs now have scratches and marks on them probably my 'HiFi' >> sysetm held six CD and several of the 'magazines' that hold them are
    broken.
    Yes, scratches and marks can affect CDs. But they'd affect vinyl a lot more. When CDs had first come out, in the early 80s, a group of us from university went to a local hifi shop to hear a demo of CD versus vinyl. The difference was fairly astounding, especially given that the demo vinyl record had probably been played many times and was a bit dirty and scratched.

The salesman concluded his sales pitch by pulling out a sewing needle and scratching his demo CD. There was no audible effect. My mate, who was a big burly guy, built like a brick shithouse, said "Give me that." And he gouged a trench in the CD. The salesman went pale. When the CD was played, there was a bit of noise and skipping. "*Now* I'm impressed," my mate said, "Do that to a record and you'd rip the f-ing needle off". In hindsight, a radial scratch is probably less of a problem then a circumferential one, because it probably makes a small, maskable error in many samples some distance apart, rather than totally obliterating a few consecutive samples.

I wonder if the reason that vinyl outsells CD is that most people are prepared to accept MP3 or FLAC downloads, as long as the bitrate is high enough. Only audiophiles will be buying physical media, because you can't download vinyl.

My verdict on CD versus LP is that CD wins hands down. The extra dynamic range and the almost complete lack of noise (mastering tape; dust, scratches on LP) is a big bonus. Yes, vinyl sounds slightly more mellow, but I imagine a lot of that is due to the RIAA compression and expansion stages involved in listening to vinyl. I wonder if some of the people who criticise CD for sounding cold and clinical would make the same comment about the master tape that was used to make an LP, or the live sound from the mixing desk (mic-amp-speakers, with no recording): is it the RIAA imperfections that they prefer?

I heard of a study which tested that: they got a band (out of earshot of the audience) to play live, with a given mike and mixing setup, then they played a CD with the same setup, an LP with that setup, and a CD with RIAA compression/decompression applied. The audience did not know what the different setups were; all they heard was the same music played several times. The live and CD scored similarly, the LP and CD-with-RIAA scored similarly, but differently to the live/CD. That suggests it is not the conversion to digital, the reproduction through a CD and the conversion back to analogue; it seems that people prefer RIAA limitations. Maybe there is a market for CD players to have a preset which mimics the slightly different gain/frequency characteristics of an LP, maybe even with some random dust crackle and the occasional scratch-ticks added electronically ;-)

Soon after CD's came out an electronic magazine compared the spec's of CD v. vinyl. It was like comparing a Ferrari with a Ford Pinto - dynamic range 96dB v 4?dB, immeasurable wow and flutter, no crosstalk etc. etc. Then I could easily tell the
    difference between CD's and LP's played over FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so good now).

Basically there is no contest only deaf faith that vinyl is better.

PS if you want really bad media try listening to a pre-recored compact cassette!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 5 12:04:40 2023
    "R. Mark Clayton" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote in message news:62341b0e-3e50-4e40-ac0d-fcfa15dbe4a2n@googlegroups.com...

PS if you want really bad media try listening to a pre-recored compact cassette!

I will stick my neck out and say that a pre-recorded cassette, with all the faults of tape hiss and wow/flutter of the tape drive, is better than LP in
    one respect: lack of dust/dirt crackle and the scratches that seem almost inevitable the more a record is played. And it is those, more than dynamic range and background noise, which I found most noticeable with LPs.

My parents-in-law asked me to digitise their LPs and put them onto CDs. I
    had great difficulty with some records because of dirt engrained in the grooves, scratches and in some cases uneven tracking due to records having warped. I did my best, but some were truly bad: choral music with generally
    low sound level but occasional loud organ or soprano soloist which produced distortion that really set my teeth on edge. Clicks from scratches are
    fixable if you can mute the click with a run of zero samples (a lot less audible than a huge pulse which maxes-out the sampling range). For engrained noise, I tried "washing" the record with a bit of water and a cloth to wipe
    it and the dirt off, and I even tried playing the worst records "wet" which reduced the HF response a bit but also reduced distortion and the noise of
    the dirt.

What speed were pre-recorded tapes copied at? I've hear that some were
    dubbed at double speed (source and destination both played at 2x speed).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 5 12:41:59 2023
    On 05/04/2023 10:27, NY wrote:

The salesman concluded his sales pitch by pulling out a sewing needle
    and scratching his demo CD. There was no audible effect. My mate, who
    was a big burly guy, built like a brick shithouse, said "Give me that."
    And he gouged a trench in the CD. The salesman went pale. When the CD
    was played, there was a bit of noise and skipping. "*Now* I'm
    impressed," my mate said, "Do that to a record and you'd rip the f-ing
    needle off". In hindsight, a radial scratch is probably less of a
    problem then a circumferential one, because it probably makes a small, maskable error in many samples some distance apart, rather than totally obliterating a few consecutive samples.

And let us not forget ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYO6vm9PTsI&t=588s

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Wed Apr 5 16:21:33 2023
    "Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message news:u0jmq7$3sjlg$1@dont-email.me...
    On 05/04/2023 10:27, NY wrote:

The salesman concluded his sales pitch by pulling out a sewing needle and
    scratching his demo CD. There was no audible effect. My mate, who was a
    big burly guy, built like a brick shithouse, said "Give me that." And he
    gouged a trench in the CD. The salesman went pale. When the CD was
    played, there was a bit of noise and skipping. "*Now* I'm impressed," my
    mate said, "Do that to a record and you'd rip the f-ing needle off". In
    hindsight, a radial scratch is probably less of a problem then a
    circumferential one, because it probably makes a small, maskable error in
    many samples some distance apart, rather than totally obliterating a few
    consecutive samples.

And let us not forget ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYO6vm9PTsI&t=588s

That Youtube video looks as if it has been through its own processing hell, compressing it to within an inch of its life ;-)

A good explanation of the error *correction* process. I presume most CD
    players have a strategy for handling error bursts which are too long to be
    able to correct, as long as they are successfully identified as errors. Outputting zeroes is one way; outputting a repeat of earlier samples would
    be very clever but would involve advances analysis of the signal to look for patterns that can be repeated.

The test in the video was like my friend's scratch with a sharpened needle:
    it was radial so it destroyed a relatively short burst of samples at a
    regular interval. A circumferential scratch (eg if the disk catches on something sharp as it is rotating in the drive, or there's a bit of grit in
    the case and the disc is rotated by hand) might wipe out a very long run of samples, even if it was only on a couple of tracks of data ("track" as in
    one ring of sectors, rather than as one song on an LP!).

I imagine a similar type of error-correction (not necessarily an identical algorithm) is used with digital TV to try to correct (or else hide)
    reception errors.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony sayer@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 5 20:09:20 2023
    In article <u0jeul$3reag$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid>
    scribeth thus
    "Jim Lesurf" <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message >news:5a8fbfaf46noise@audiomisc.co.uk...

sysetm held six CD and several of the 'magazines' that hold them are
    broken.

Yes, scratches and marks can affect CDs. But they'd affect vinyl a lot more. >When CDs had first come out, in the early 80s, a group of us from university >went to a local hifi shop to hear a demo of CD versus vinyl. The difference >was fairly astounding, especially given that the demo vinyl record had >probably been played many times and was a bit dirty and scratched.

The salesman concluded his sales pitch by pulling out a sewing needle and >scratching his demo CD. There was no audible effect. My mate, who was a big >burly guy, built like a brick shithouse, said "Give me that." And he gouged
    a trench in the CD. The salesman went pale. When the CD was played, there
    was a bit of noise and skipping. "*Now* I'm impressed," my mate said, "Do >that to a record and you'd rip the f-ing needle off". In hindsight, a radial >scratch is probably less of a problem then a circumferential one, because it >probably makes a small, maskable error in many samples some distance apart, >rather than totally obliterating a few consecutive samples.

I wonder if the reason that vinyl outsells CD is that most people are >prepared to accept MP3 or FLAC downloads, as long as the bitrate is high >enough. Only audiophiles will be buying physical media, because you can't >download vinyl.

My verdict on CD versus LP is that CD wins hands down. The extra dynamic >range and the almost complete lack of noise (mastering tape; dust, scratches >on LP) is a big bonus. Yes, vinyl sounds slightly more mellow, but I imagine >a lot of that is due to the RIAA compression and expansion stages involved
    in listening to vinyl. I wonder if some of the people who criticise CD for >sounding cold and clinical would make the same comment about the master tape >that was used to make an LP, or the live sound from the mixing desk >(mic-amp-speakers, with no recording): is it the RIAA imperfections that
    they prefer?

I heard of a study which tested that: they got a band (out of earshot of the >audience) to play live, with a given mike and mixing setup, then they played >a CD with the same setup, an LP with that setup, and a CD with RIAA >compression/decompression applied. The audience did not know what the >different setups were; all they heard was the same music played several >times. The live and CD scored similarly, the LP and CD-with-RIAA scored >similarly, but differently to the live/CD. That suggests it is not the >conversion to digital, the reproduction through a CD and the conversion back >to analogue; it seems that people prefer RIAA limitations. Maybe there is a >market for CD players to have a preset which mimics the slightly different >gain/frequency characteristics of an LP, maybe even with some random dust >crackle and the occasional scratch-ticks added electronically ;-)

Yep you've got that about right playing a Vinyl is well, a procedure its
    a ritual thing cleaning the disc and stylus and then that luvvery tone
    it has that "sound" thats why peeps just lurve it!.

See the prices of those EMT turntables in the last Peaker-Patterson
    auctions around 5 odd thousand quid!!
    --
    Tony Sayer

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to tony sayer on Thu Apr 6 12:39:09 2023
    On Wednesday, 5 April 2023 at 20:14:06 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
    In article <u0jeul$3reag$1...@dont-email.me>, NY <m...@privacy.invalid> scribeth thus
    "Jim Lesurf" <no...@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message >news:5a8fbfa...@audiomisc.co.uk...
    In article <tuv2d9$1dkkc$1...@dont-email.me>, MB <M...@nospam.net> wrote: >>

A few of my CDs now have scratches and marks on them probably my 'HiFi' >>> sysetm held six CD and several of the 'magazines' that hold them are
    broken.

Yes, scratches and marks can affect CDs. But they'd affect vinyl a lot more.
    When CDs had first come out, in the early 80s, a group of us from university
    went to a local hifi shop to hear a demo of CD versus vinyl. The difference >was fairly astounding, especially given that the demo vinyl record had >probably been played many times and was a bit dirty and scratched.

The salesman concluded his sales pitch by pulling out a sewing needle and >scratching his demo CD. There was no audible effect. My mate, who was a big >burly guy, built like a brick shithouse, said "Give me that." And he gouged >a trench in the CD. The salesman went pale. When the CD was played, there >was a bit of noise and skipping. "*Now* I'm impressed," my mate said, "Do >that to a record and you'd rip the f-ing needle off". In hindsight, a radial
    scratch is probably less of a problem then a circumferential one, because it
    probably makes a small, maskable error in many samples some distance apart, >rather than totally obliterating a few consecutive samples.

I wonder if the reason that vinyl outsells CD is that most people are >prepared to accept MP3 or FLAC downloads, as long as the bitrate is high >enough. Only audiophiles will be buying physical media, because you can't >download vinyl.

My verdict on CD versus LP is that CD wins hands down. The extra dynamic >range and the almost complete lack of noise (mastering tape; dust, scratches
    on LP) is a big bonus. Yes, vinyl sounds slightly more mellow, but I imagine
    a lot of that is due to the RIAA compression and expansion stages involved >in listening to vinyl. I wonder if some of the people who criticise CD for >sounding cold and clinical would make the same comment about the master tape
    that was used to make an LP, or the live sound from the mixing desk >(mic-amp-speakers, with no recording): is it the RIAA imperfections that >they prefer?

I heard of a study which tested that: they got a band (out of earshot of the
    audience) to play live, with a given mike and mixing setup, then they played
    a CD with the same setup, an LP with that setup, and a CD with RIAA >compression/decompression applied. The audience did not know what the >different setups were; all they heard was the same music played several >times. The live and CD scored similarly, the LP and CD-with-RIAA scored >similarly, but differently to the live/CD. That suggests it is not the >conversion to digital, the reproduction through a CD and the conversion back
    to analogue; it seems that people prefer RIAA limitations. Maybe there is a >market for CD players to have a preset which mimics the slightly different >gain/frequency characteristics of an LP, maybe even with some random dust >crackle and the occasional scratch-ticks added electronically ;-)

Yep you've got that about right playing a Vinyl is well, a procedure its
    a ritual thing cleaning the disc and stylus and then that luvvery tone
    it has that "sound" thats why peeps just lurve it!.

See the prices of those EMT turntables in the last Peaker-Patterson
    auctions around 5 odd thousand quid!!

Whereas a £20 CD / DVD player will do just fine.

--
    Tony Sayer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Fri Apr 7 08:38:44 2023
    In article <145c2cd3-0443-4661-91d3-5d024c531827n@googlegroups.com>,
    R. Mark Clayton <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

Yep you've got that about right playing a Vinyl is well, a
    procedure its a ritual thing cleaning the disc and stylus and
    then that luvvery tone it has that "sound" thats why peeps just
    lurve it!.

See the prices of those EMT turntables in the last
    Peaker-Patterson auctions around 5 odd thousand quid!!

Indeed true, it's a pain in the backside. But if you have a good
    system and clean records it *can* sound absolutely marvellous.

A £20 CD player will work just fine but will sound like a £20 CD
    player. Yes, it will read the disc properly and yes in the unlikely
    event it sees an error, it will most likely correct it.

However, converting that digital information into analogue sound is
    still improving both by measurement and by the sound reproduced. It
    has largely moved away now from CD players and into network streamers
    where there are no noisy motors making a mess of the power rails.

My streamer is now getting on a bit, (2014) but in that time it has
    had 3 DAC hardware upgrades, each carefully decided upon by my wife
    and I in blind tests to be better than the previous version. They've
    stopped doing upgrades to that player now, I would have to replace it
    (serious money) which with my age it's not really viable. On the
    other hand, I can't take it with me. :-)

But to illustrate my point, I've recently acquired a chinese dac
    (Topping E30 MK2) and have been trying it out. It costs about £140
    and it works just fine right up to 192KHz/24. The sound though is
    nowhere and I mean nowhere near my streamer. The topping has lots of
    sibilance regardless of chosen output filters, far less detail and a
    fuzzy stereo image. But it works fine.

I'm sorry but thinking a £20 CD is good enough shows complete lack of
    listening experience. A £20 CD player will sound awful. A good
    turntable system setup correctly with clean vinyl may have the odd
    tick and crackle but will not sound awful.

I am not advocating vinyl, it's a total pita.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to Mark Clayton on Thu Apr 6 12:19:02 2023
    In article <62341b0e-3e50-4e40-ac0d-fcfa15dbe4a2n@googlegroups.com>, R.
    Mark Clayton <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
    Soon after CD's came out an electronic magazine compared the spec's of
    CD v. vinyl. It was like comparing a Ferrari with a Ford Pinto -
    dynamic range 96dB v 4?dB, immeasurable wow and flutter, no crosstalk
    etc. etc. Then I could easily tell the difference between CD's and LP's played over FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so good
    now).

Well, I would suspect that some who prefer LP do so *because* of the way it often *alters* the music.

Also, just as I prefer having a CD to a download, it give you a real
    physical object to own.

Jim

--
    Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me. Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to bob@sick-of-spam.invalid on Thu Apr 6 12:16:36 2023
    In article <5a9049dd60bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    In article <5a8fbfaf46noise@audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim Lesurf
    <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

For what it's worth...

Get a NAS, second hand is fine with a new drive.

FWIW I did initially go down the NAS route and still have one that mainly
    holds music files - from CD, LP transcriptions, etc. But I now actually
    find USB SSDs more convenient. I also use sdcards with a DAP some of the
    time.

As Jim says, rip your music to flac not Mp3. Mp3 is not lossless and
    throws away information and like the B&Q sale, when it's gone,

Yup. There are nominal alternatives to flac like (all too predictably)
    Apple's own 'version' of flac. But flac wins by now being essentially universally understood and free.

If you *must* use a lossy info compression than go for 320k aac.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to bob@sick-of-spam.invalid on Fri Apr 7 12:08:27 2023
    In article <5a9143bdeebob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    In article <145c2cd3-0443-4661-91d3-5d024c531827n@googlegroups.com>, R.

Yep you've got that about right playing a Vinyl is well, a procedure
    its a ritual thing cleaning the disc and stylus and then that
    luvvery tone it has that "sound" thats why peeps just lurve it!.

See the prices of those EMT turntables in the last Peaker-Patterson auctions around 5 odd thousand quid!!

Indeed true, it's a pain in the backside. But if you have a good system
    and clean records it *can* sound absolutely marvellous.

I'd agree. However almost all my LP playing in recent years has been to
    make a digital capture. Then remove any bothersome clicks from it. The LP
    then doesn't get played again. Do this with the few new-purchases as well
    as my old LPs.

Particularly useful for listening to LPs that I bought 2nd hand cheap when
    I want to hear them when in the kitchen. :-)

A £20 CD player will work just fine but will sound like a £20 CD player.
    Yes, it will read the disc properly and yes in the unlikely event it
    sees an error, it will most likely correct it.

still improving both by measurement and by the sound reproduced. It has largely moved away now from CD players and into network streamers where
    there are no noisy motors making a mess of the power rails.

If a CD player's output is audible affected by its own PSU I'd not use it.
    But these days when I play a CD I use a Pioneer CD recorder as I like the 'legato link' DACs they use. Files get played either via an old CA Dac
    Magic or from a DAP feeding analogue. This is for the kitchen.

Main system uses a Benchmark DAC. Play out using a plain audio player app
    on Linux via USB. Direct ALSA feed so the OS doesn't fiddle with the bits.

I'm sorry but thinking a £20 CD is good enough shows complete lack of listening experience. A £20 CD player will sound awful. A good turntable system setup correctly with clean vinyl may have the odd tick and
    crackle but will not sound awful.

Erm... you may more often pay for what you get. But getting what you paid
    for isn't a synonym for that! :->

The problem is that so many LPs have been poorly made - at stages *after*
    the studio in many cases. Ye olde warps, off-centers, pressed-in
    pops+crackles, etc, etc. CDs are more 'reliable' in production terms.

When the modern 'return' to LP started the LPs were often more carefully
    made as a premium product, prestige, low pressing-run, high-priced. That
    held down the above snag. But I suspect as they became 'popular' the old "canna-be-bothered-so-press-em-quick" may have surfaced again. However the
    few "Dragon's Dream" LPs I've bought are superb... and I made 96k/24
    transfers to use to keep them that way. 8-]

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Fri Apr 7 17:27:01 2023
    In article <5a9156f128noise@audiomisc.co.uk>,
    In article <5a9143bdeebob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

I'd agree. However almost all my LP playing in recent years has
    been to make a digital capture. Then remove any bothersome clicks
    from it. The LP then doesn't get played again. Do this with the few new-purchases as well as my old LPs.

Particularly useful for listening to LPs that I bought 2nd hand
    cheap when I want to hear them when in the kitchen. :-)

Yes, very good idea, I have done a few myself but I've not had great
    success with the click removal. I would like to know more how you do
    that. (But I don't have a Linux PC).

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to Bob Latham on Fri Apr 7 18:43:27 2023
    On 07/04/2023 17:27, Bob Latham wrote:

In article <5a9156f128noise@audiomisc.co.uk>,

I'd agree. However almost all my LP playing in recent years has
    been to make a digital capture. Then remove any bothersome clicks
    from it. The LP then doesn't get played again. Do this with the few
    new-purchases as well as my old LPs.

I've done some instructions here which may or may not prove useful: https://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/Vinyls/VinylRestoration.html

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Fri Apr 7 19:54:21 2023
    In article <u0pknu$t55s$1@dont-email.me>,
    Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
    On 07/04/2023 17:27, Bob Latham wrote:

Yes, very good idea, I have done a few myself but I've not had
    great success with the click removal. I would like to know more
    how you do that. (But I don't have a Linux PC).

I've done some instructions here which may or may not prove useful: https://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/Vinyls/VinylRestoration.html

Thanks, I'll have a good read.

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Sat Apr 8 00:03:35 2023
    On 06/04/2023 12:19, Jim Lesurf wrote:
    In article <62341b0e-3e50-4e40-ac0d-fcfa15dbe4a2n@googlegroups.com>, R.
    etc. etc. Then I could easily tell the difference between CD's and LP's
    played over FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so good
    now).

Well, I would suspect that some who prefer LP do so *because* of the way it often *alters* the music.

physical object to own.

I too like a physical object, whether it is truly physical (LP or CD) or
    a downloaded file that resides on my disc(s). What I hate is music or TV programmes which can only be accessed by live-streaming and which cannot
    be transferred to my system, because then I lose control: even if I have
    paid to access them, the right can be withdrawn at any time afterwards.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Sat Apr 8 10:27:41 2023
    In article <u0pknu$t55s$1@dont-email.me>,
    Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

Nice page. :-)

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to me@privacy.net on Sat Apr 8 10:49:07 2023
    In article <WYednW2VX5XWPK35nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    I too like a physical object, whether it is truly physical (LP or CD) or
    a downloaded file that resides on my disc(s). What I hate is music or
    TV programmes which can only be accessed by live-streaming and which
    cannot be transferred to my system, because then I lose control: even
    if I have paid to access them, the right can be withdrawn at any time

Get a decent audio device. If you're on a budget I can recommend the 3rd
    Gen Scarlett 2i2 USB 2-channel in/out box. Works well with a laptop, and
    hence can be portable - and can avoid any mains loops.

If you want the best audio capture/playout (stereo) devices I've found and use... alas, that now seems unavailable. T'was made by Benchmark.
    Studio-Pro stuff. But I rate the Benchmark kit in general. Main snag is
    that it can be a bit tempramental and need the occasional reminder of its settings in firmware, etc. Whereas the 2i2 just works nicely. (I didn't run their 'install' and it works fine regardless with Linux and RISC OS. I
    suspect their 'install' is to let them ID you.)

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/2i2-DMP.png

shows a test of the 2i2 as a capture device. Used a RO prog I write that
    plays user-chosen test patterns and captures/analyses the result. Can use
    the same in/out USB box or different ones. They just need to obey the
    standard stereo USB rules.

Main problem with the 2i2 is that it has level controls that aren't easy to reset reliably as they are simple pots with no decent setting indicators.
    But if you use it with something like Audacity and a test LP/tape/whatever
    you can then set them by eyeball on the display. That said I wrote a
    recording prog (Linux), but source-code provided) that keeps showing you
    PPMs. And a RO prog that acts as an audio analyser with reported levels
    plus waveforms. (Don't use Doze or Macs.)

Use a USB TV 'dongle' to get audio/video from broadcasts. This gives you
    the transported streams, not conversions. Works nicely with VLC.

Use yt-dlp for YouTube captures.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to bob@sick-of-spam.invalid on Sat Apr 8 10:26:18 2023
    In article <5a91741b3bbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    In article <5a9156f128noise@audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim Lesurf

I'd agree. However almost all my LP playing in recent years has been
    to make a digital capture. Then remove any bothersome clicks from it.
    The LP then doesn't get played again. Do this with the few

Audacity. Audio editor. I think it is available cross-platform (but, alas,
    not on Linux).

Has a repair 'effect'. You find the click then select up to 128
    samples-worth with it near the center. Apply. This essentially cross-fades
    from the earler section of the selection into the latter, smoothing away
    the click.

To make clicks more obvious onscreen I first do the following:

Use 'sox' (another handy audio prog) to create a high-pass filtered
    version of the file. Turnover circa 5kHz. (2nd order by default.) Load this into Audacity alongside the source file's content. The filtering helps
    'expose' the hf of clicks, so makes it easier to eyeball them.

Takes time, but gives good results. Longer nasties can be snipped out and
    then cross-faded as above to remove any join jump.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Green@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Sat Apr 8 12:00:41 2023
    In article <5a91741b3bbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    In article <5a9156f128noise@audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim Lesurf

I'd agree. However almost all my LP playing in recent years has been
    to make a digital capture. Then remove any bothersome clicks from it.
    The LP then doesn't get played again. Do this with the few

Yes, very good idea, I have done a few myself but I've not had great success with the click removal. I would like to know more how you do

Audacity. Audio editor. I think it is available cross-platform (but, alas, not on Linux).

Huh?! Audacity is very much available on Linux, I *think* it actually originated as a Linux program and over the years has expanded to cover
    other platforms as well.

--
    Chris Green
    ·

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 8 15:19:13 2023
    In article <p3u7gj-0uj51.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net>
    wrote:
    Audacity. Audio editor. I think it is available cross-platform (but,
    alas, not on Linux).

Huh?! Audacity is very much available on Linux,

Oops! Sorry! My mind said "RISC OS" but my fingers typed Linux! :-/

One reason I DIY'd a graphic capture/playout prog for audio analysis on RO. Alas, even USB Audio is poorly supported by the Open Source version of RO. Shame as it makes a nice alternative to Linux for such purposes if you have
    the right box + OS version.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Mon Apr 10 03:46:59 2023
    On Friday, 7 April 2023 at 11:45:15 UTC+1, Jim Lesurf wrote:
    In article <62341b0e-3e50-4e40...@googlegroups.com>, R.
    Mark Clayton <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
    etc. etc. Then I could easily tell the difference between CD's and LP's played over FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so good
    now).

Indeed - the poor signal to noise ratio "softens" it as does using a valve amplifier (adds thermal noise and clips gently when over driven)

physical object to own.

Agree.

Jim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Mon Apr 10 04:16:24 2023
    On Friday, 7 April 2023 at 16:08:16 UTC+1, Jim Lesurf wrote:
    In article <5a9143...@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    In article <145c2cd3-0443-4661...@googlegroups.com>, R.
    Mark Clayton <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yep you've got that about right playing a Vinyl is well, a procedure its a ritual thing cleaning the disc and stylus and then that
    luvvery tone it has that "sound" thats why peeps just lurve it!.

See the prices of those EMT turntables in the last Peaker-Patterson auctions around 5 odd thousand quid!!
    Indeed true, it's a pain in the backside. But if you have a good system and clean records it *can* sound absolutely marvellous.

I'd agree. However almost all my LP playing in recent years has been to
    make a digital capture. Then remove any bothersome clicks from it. The LP then doesn't get played again. Do this with the few new-purchases as well
    as my old LPs.

Particularly useful for listening to LPs that I bought 2nd hand cheap when
    I want to hear them when in the kitchen. :-)
    A £20 CD player will work just fine but will sound like a £20 CD player. Yes, it will read the disc properly and yes in the unlikely event it
    sees an error, it will most likely correct it.

So far so good.

still improving both by measurement and by the sound reproduced. It has largely moved away now from CD players and into network streamers where there are no noisy motors making a mess of the power rails.

Why should this leak onto the output?

In my case I replaced my original [failed] CD player with a Blu-Ray player. This did cost more the £20 and is connected to my AV amp by digital optical [and HDMI]. Perhaps you can explain how noisy motors would make a mess of either?

If a CD player's output is audible affected by its own PSU I'd not use it. But these days when I play a CD I use a Pioneer CD recorder as I like the 'legato link' DACs they use. Files get played either via an old CA Dac
    Magic or from a DAP feeding analogue. This is for the kitchen.

Main system uses a Benchmark DAC. Play out using a plain audio player app
    on Linux via USB. Direct ALSA feed so the OS doesn't fiddle with the bits.

I'm sorry but thinking a £20 CD is good enough shows complete lack of listening experience. A £20 CD player will sound awful. A good turntable system setup correctly with clean vinyl may have the odd tick and
    crackle but will not sound awful.

Perhaps you should re-read my original post. When they came out CD beat professional vinyl decks, as used by Signal Radio, hands down even when listened to on my car radio driving up the M6 at ~70mph.

A £20 modern CD player will do better due to increased buffering (so if it misreads it has time to try again), what comes out is an accurately clocked digital stream. The BERR is virtually zero. So unless it is really rubbish any £20 CD player will
    outperform the most expensive vinyl deck.

To put this into context this computer is connected to a cabinet about half a mile away through hundreds of metres of thin unshielded wire, some of it aluminium and / or submerged and half a dozen flaky joints. Despite this it manages 50Mbps with a BERR
    of 10**-9 or better and reliably delivers two streams of 4k video and lots besides without any problem. Getting 1M4bps a few feet is child's play by comparison.

Incidentally a dual 12-bit DAC chip is under a fiver [one off] - CD is only 8 bit.

Erm... you may more often pay for what you get. But getting what you paid for isn't a synonym for that! :->

The problem is that so many LPs have been poorly made - at stages *after* the studio in many cases. Ye olde warps, off-centers, pressed-in pops+crackles, etc, etc. CDs are more 'reliable' in production terms.

When the modern 'return' to LP started the LPs were often more carefully made as a premium product, prestige, low pressing-run, high-priced. That held down the above snag. But I suspect as they became 'popular' the old "canna-be-bothered-so-press-em-quick" may have surfaced again. However the few "Dragon's Dream" LPs I've bought are superb... and I made 96k/24 transfers to use to keep them that way. 8-]
    Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Mon Apr 10 13:50:16 2023
    In article <7825a761-846c-4eab-824d-c610809e9995n@googlegroups.com>,
    In article <5a9143...@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    In article <145c2cd3-0443-4661...@googlegroups.com>, R.

A £20 CD player will work just fine but will sound like a £20
    CD player. Yes, it will read the disc properly and yes in the
    unlikely event it sees an error, it will most likely correct
    it.

So far so good.

However, converting that digital information into analogue
    sound is still improving both by measurement and by the sound
    reproduced. It has largely moved away now from CD players and
    into network streamers where there are no noisy motors making
    a mess of the power rails.

Cost!

To prevent noise from the motor and control electronics getting into
    the dac and analogue components costs money. This is the primary
    reason why back in the day, some CD sounded much better than others
    despite using similar dac architecture.

In my case I replaced my original [failed] CD player with a Blu-Ray
    player. This did cost more the £20 and is connected to my AV amp
    by digital optical [and HDMI]. Perhaps you can explain how noisy
    motors would make a mess of either?

Strewth!

So we're a fair way from a £20 CD player are we not. Firstly it cost
    more than £20 but you didn't say how much and secondly you are using
    an external dac and analogue stage in another box and powered from a
    different power supply. So completely not what was being discussed.

I'm sorry but thinking a £20 CD is good enough shows complete
    lack of listening experience. A £20 CD player will sound
    awful. A good turntable system setup correctly with clean
    vinyl may have the odd tick and crackle but will not sound
    awful.

Perhaps you should re-read my original post. When they came out CD
    beat professional vinyl decks, as used by Signal Radio, hands down
    even when listened to on my car radio driving up the M6 at ~70mph.

Utter nonsense and dishonest.

I'm sorry but unless there was something significantly wrong with the
    vinyl or the playback system you would only have the odd click or
    crackle to reveal what what you were listening to.

Clean records wouldn't give you that and you've said in the past that
    it wasn't that anyway.

Vinyl is vastly better than the picture you are painting. In my home
    it sounds superb. It is the practicality of vinyl that is its
    downfall not its sound quality. That you don't know that tell me
    volumes about your listening experience, clearly you've never heard
    decent vinyl playback.

The story as you describe it didn't happen. Either something else
    revealed to you what the source was or this is a complete fabrication.

Vinyl can and does sound great, it's just impractical.

Hear it's faults at 70mph over the radio? Bullshit!

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony sayer@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 10 16:08:30 2023
    Snipped>>
    l.

Erm... you may more often pay for what you get. But getting what you paid
    for isn't a synonym for that! :->

The problem is that so many LPs have been poorly made - at stages *after*
    the studio in many cases. Ye olde warps, off-centers, pressed-in >pops+crackles, etc, etc. CDs are more 'reliable' in production terms.

Remember years ago some QUAD ELS63's being demo'ed by Dr Derek Scotland
    of Audiolab can't remember the deck in use but Audiolab amp and they
    were very good, surprisingly good in fact but they were some he'd got
    whilst over in Germany where they pressed records properly in his
    words;!..

When the modern 'return' to LP started the LPs were often more carefully
    made as a premium product, prestige, low pressing-run, high-priced. That
    held down the above snag. But I suspect as they became 'popular' the old >"canna-be-bothered-so-press-em-quick" may have surfaced again. However the >few "Dragon's Dream" LPs I've bought are superb... and I made 96k/24 >transfers to use to keep them that way. 8-]

Jim

--
    Tony Sayer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to Bob Latham on Mon Apr 10 17:54:18 2023
    In article <5a92ebc530bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
    Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

sound is still improving both by measurement and by the sound reproduced. It has largely moved away now from CD players and

Cost!

the dac and analogue components costs money.

Not particularly difficult to do. Although I'd agree that some players are poorer than others. No need to high expense.

This is the primary reason why back in the day, some CD sounded much
    better than others despite using similar dac architecture.

I doubt that. More likely that many early players had no oversamoling and a poor reconstruction filter, etc. Some 1st gen ones also used one DAC for
    *both* channels, which exposed them to snags like slew-rate effects as the
    DAC and filters tried to keep the results clean. (And meant one channel was slighlly 'late' relative to the other.)

You missed out rumble, wow, end-of-side distortion, etc.

EOS distortion was particularly anoying on some classical music as
    it really affected loud massed strings, etc, on a musical climace
    at end-of-side. Cutter problems as well, as many cutters struggled
    to get such onto the laquer. Not just a replay problem.

LP is/was also very vulnerable to shoddy manufacture and handling before
    you got it. I still recall that more often than not I had to return my
    'first try' at buying something on LP I had to take it back for an obvious fault and get another copy. Stats reported by HFN of the time also showed
    this up very clearly.

Whereas I've *very* rarely needed to take a new CD back for replacement
    because it was flawed.

The remarkable thing is that LP - like FM - can sound great *IF* well
    made and played and handled with care. Alas, that condition often
    didn't last until the shop handed it to you.

So, yes I've got some excellent LPs. But not all are like that.
    And pre-CD many were poorly made.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Tue Apr 11 10:16:16 2023
    "Jim Lesurf" <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message news:5a93021cb3noise@audiomisc.co.uk...

I have yet to hear an LP that does *not* suffer from surface problems (scratches, dust, roughness of the vinyl, etc) almost as soon as it is
    played for the first time. And that's records from "good" labels such as Deutsche Gramafon who ought to be using "smooth" vinyl and good mastering/pressing. Classical music can make background noise more
    noticeable because there are periods of comparatively low signal (as well as very loud sections!). And playing on a good turntable - my dad's Bang and Olufson deck which he bought in the late 60s or very early 70s. One record
    that we bought sounded as if the vinyl had sand mixed in with it, so loud
    was the background grating sound.

Keeping records free of scratches requires very careful handling, ideally
    with a tone arm that keeps the stylus well clear of the record while it is being moved to the required track, before lowering it onto the groove. A lot
    of cheaper record players have very little clearance so it is easier for the needle accidentally to touch the disc as you are moving it to/from the
    track.

Dust seems to be an insurmountable problem. I tried various brushes, soft lint-free cloths and soft slightly tacky rollers, but once it's there, it's there for good.

Rumble and wow/flutter are (in my experience) fairly small effects compared with the surface noise of dust, scratches and engrained dirt.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Tue Apr 11 11:04:33 2023
    In article <5a93021cb3noise@audiomisc.co.uk>,
    In article <5a92ebc530bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
    Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

sound is still improving both by measurement and by the
    sound reproduced. It has largely moved away now from CD
    players and into network streamers where there are no noisy
    motors making a mess of the power rails.

Cost!

To prevent noise from the motor and control electronics getting
    into the dac and analogue components costs money.

Not particularly difficult to do. Although I'd agree that some
    players are poorer than others. No need to high expense.

This is the primary reason why back in the day, some CD sounded
    much better than others despite using similar dac architecture.

I doubt that. More likely that many early players had no
    oversamoling and a poor reconstruction filter, etc. Some 1st gen
    ones also used one DAC for *both* channels, which exposed them to
    snags like slew-rate effects as the DAC and filters tried to keep
    the results clean. (And meant one channel was slighlly 'late'
    relative to the other.)

Oh indeed, early CD players sounded dreadful to my ears, they
    impressed with their silence but their sound was unpleasant.

For us, it wasn't until the Meridian 207 came out that my wife and I
    could tolerate CDs at all. I think that was around 1987. I recall the
    first time we heard a 207, my wife (better ears than me) was first to
    comment in surprise she exclaimed "It's playing the same record as
    the LP that's a first". The 208 came out a couple of years later and
    blew the 207 away so rapid was the rate of improvement at the time.
    Prior to that, CD was just unpleasant to listen to. I wasn't
    including early horrors.

But your list supports my opinion that cheap transports are fine, the
    sound differences come from the DAC and how it's used, power supply
    and analogue circuits.

I'm sorry but unless there was something significantly wrong with
    the vinyl or the playback system you would only have the odd
    click or crackle to reveal what what you were listening to.

I cannot remember hearing rumble in the last 40 years and eos
    distortion I'm not sure I've ever encountered that.
    In reality the chances of hearing that at 70mph on a car radio. Of
    course if you just wish to argue for the sake of it....

All correct but nothing compared to the hassle of cleaning,
    anti-static guns, and having to turn the disc over every 20 mins.

LP is/was also very vulnerable to shoddy manufacture and handling
    before you got it. I still recall that more often than not I had to
    return my 'first try' at buying something on LP I had to take it
    back for an obvious fault and get another copy. Stats reported by
    HFN of the time also showed this up very clearly.

Whereas I've *very* rarely needed to take a new CD back for
    replacement because it was flawed.

The remarkable thing is that LP - like FM - can sound great *IF*
    well made and played and handled with care. Alas, that condition
    often didn't last until the shop handed it to you.

So, yes I've got some excellent LPs. But not all are like that. And
    pre-CD many were poorly made.

All fine, never the less...

A £20 CD transport will probably be fine, a £20 CD player's analogue
    out is likely to be rough, very rough.

Without a fault, you would not know you were listening to vinyl on a
    car radio at 70mph, you would struggle to tell in a blind test in my
    lounge.

A couple of years ago I recorded an album to WAV and then converted
    it to flac. The Album was "Bread - Greatest hits". Whenever I play
    that flac album, people are amazed that it's a vinyl recording but
    of course, none of them have ever had a vinyl system of their own.

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to me@privacy.invalid on Tue Apr 11 11:29:53 2023
    In article <u138g8$2itev$1@dont-email.me>,
    NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

Rumble and wow/flutter are (in my experience) fairly small effects
    compared with the surface noise of dust, scratches and engrained
    dirt.

100% yes.

Getting and keeping them clean is a pita.

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Bob Latham on Tue Apr 11 13:09:23 2023
    "Bob Latham" <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:5a93606f38bob@sick-of-spam.invalid...
    But your list supports my opinion that cheap transports are fine, the
    sound differences come from the DAC and how it's used, power supply
    and analogue circuits.

I presume the same PSU and analogue amplifier criticisms could apply to
    record players as well. In both cases, you get what you pay for, with the
    added proviso that cheaper record players are subject to transport errors
    (wow, flutter, rumble) which doesn't apply to CD transports.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Bob Latham on Tue Apr 11 13:15:05 2023
    "Bob Latham" <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:5a9362c0fdbob@sick-of-spam.invalid...

dirt.

100% yes.

For me, playing an LP which is free of impulsive "physical noise" (dust, scratches, "sandpaper vinyl") is the biggest reason for opting for CD
    instead. Electronic noise, distortion, background hiss pale into insignificance: you need expensive equipment and perfect hearing to detect those, whereas dust-click/crackle and periodic ticking of scratches are
    audible by anyone on any equipment. In that respect, audio cassettes are
    better than LPs: maybe the frequency response and tape-hiss is worse, but that's far outweighed by the lack of dust/scratches.

I don't *think* I was clumsy with records or lax with cleaning them: try as
    I might, I could never get a record to play cleanly of dust.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to me@privacy.invalid on Tue Apr 11 13:50:43 2023
    In article <u13ivo$2k2ck$2@dont-email.me>,
    "Bob Latham" <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:5a9362c0fdbob@sick-of-spam.invalid...

dirt.

100% yes.

For me, playing an LP which is free of impulsive "physical noise"
    (dust, scratches, "sandpaper vinyl") is the biggest reason for
    opting for CD instead.

Back in the day where I worked, Hi-Fi was a must have item, almost
    every male got himself a system. One colleague who had an unusual
    philips turntable at the time came to our house and listened to my
    system. He then went out and bought the same turntable arm and
    cartridge that I had, I asked why. He said surface noise, your
    turntable combination had significantly less noise than mine.

At the time, the story was that certain arms especially, got excited
    by click energy coming from the stylus and appeared to resonate with
    it, making things worse. I'm not claiming there's any truth in that
    but it was a theory at the time.

Electronic noise, distortion, background hiss pale into
    insignificance: you need expensive equipment and perfect hearing to
    detect those, whereas dust-click/crackle and periodic ticking of
    scratches are audible by anyone on any equipment.

Hiss can still be an issue with low output moving coil cartridges but
    I suppose you may call those expensive anyway.

In that respect, audio cassettes are better than LPs:
    maybe the frequency response and tape-hiss is worse,

Oh heavens's yes. I spent hours building audio companders at the time
    and there was even a dolby box add on and this was for open real tape
    at 7.5ips cassette was even worse. And of course no random access.

but that's far outweighed by the lack of dust/scratches.

I'm not sure I could go that far, the vinyl was usually better for me.

I don't *think* I was clumsy with records or lax with cleaning
    them: try as I might, I could never get a record to play cleanly
    of dust.

Most had the same issue.

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Bob Latham on Tue Apr 11 14:22:46 2023
    "Bob Latham" <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:5a936fa5acbob@sick-of-spam.invalid...
    In article <u13ivo$2k2ck$2@dont-email.me>,
    For me, playing an LP which is free of impulsive "physical noise"
    (dust, scratches, "sandpaper vinyl") is the biggest reason for
    opting for CD instead.

Back in the day where I worked, Hi-Fi was a must have item, almost
    every male got himself a system. One colleague who had an unusual
    philips turntable at the time came to our house and listened to my
    system. He then went out and bought the same turntable arm and
    cartridge that I had, I asked why. He said surface noise, your
    turntable combination had significantly less noise than mine.

At the time, the story was that certain arms especially, got excited
    by click energy coming from the stylus and appeared to resonate with
    it, making things worse. I'm not claiming there's any truth in that
    but it was a theory at the time.

Electronic noise, distortion, background hiss pale into
    insignificance: you need expensive equipment and perfect hearing to
    detect those, whereas dust-click/crackle and periodic ticking of
    scratches are audible by anyone on any equipment.

Hiss can still be an issue with low output moving coil cartridges but
    I suppose you may call those expensive anyway.

In that respect, audio cassettes are better than LPs:
    maybe the frequency response and tape-hiss is worse,

Oh heavens's yes. I spent hours building audio companders at the time
    and there was even a dolby box add on and this was for open real tape
    at 7.5ips cassette was even worse. And of course no random access.

but that's far outweighed by the lack of dust/scratches.

I'm not sure I could go that far, the vinyl was usually better for me.

I don't *think* I was clumsy with records or lax with cleaning
    them: try as I might, I could never get a record to play cleanly
    of dust.

Most had the same issue.

It is because of the handling problems (dust/scratches) that I am puzzled
    that vinyl is so popular these days. There will be some purists who prefer
    the more mellow sound that RIAA companding causes, but is this enough to persuade such large numbers of people to prefer it to CD, given the much
    more significant problem of very intrusive dust and scratch noise?

I wonder if the biggest take-home message from "Vinyl records outsell CDs
    for first time in decades" is not that more and more people are buying
    vinyl, but that fewer and fewer people are buying digital sound in the form
    of CDs as opposed to downloads? I can believe that of those who buying their music in digital form, a dwindling proportion is buying physical media (CDs) rather than downloads as MP3 or FLAC.

In other words: in the m/n ratio, it's n that is reducing rather than m that
    is increasing ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to me@privacy.invalid on Tue Apr 11 17:36:55 2023
    In article <u13mug$2kh14$1@dont-email.me>,

It is because of the handling problems (dust/scratches) that I am
    puzzled that vinyl is so popular these days. There will be some
    purists who prefer the more mellow sound that RIAA companding
    causes, but is this enough to persuade such large numbers of
    people to prefer it to CD, given the much more significant problem
    of very intrusive dust and scratch noise?

Nostalgia and the feeling of buying vinyl, a true album and of course
    seeing the turntable working, I think they look great and very
    romantic, if you like that kind of thing.

I wonder if the biggest take-home message from "Vinyl records
    outsell CDs for first time in decades" is not that more and more
    people are buying vinyl, but that fewer and fewer people are
    buying digital sound in the form of CDs as opposed to downloads? I
    can believe that of those who buying their music in digital form,
    a dwindling proportion is buying physical media (CDs) rather than
    downloads as MP3 or FLAC.

I do purchase flac downloads but the majority of my 'new to me' music
    comes from purchasing CDs second hand from eBay.

In other words: in the m/n ratio, it's n that is reducing rather
    than m that is increasing ;-)

Well certainly, the younger members of our family have no interest
    what so ever in hi-fi and for them an mp3 or m4a file on their phone
    with tiny earphones is enough. Is that surprising though, their music
    is a tragedy

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to bob@sick-of-spam.invalid on Tue Apr 11 15:24:15 2023
    In article <5a93606f38bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

Oh indeed, early CD players sounded dreadful to my ears, they impressed
    with their silence but their sound was unpleasant.

For us, it wasn't until the Meridian 207 came out that my wife and I
    could tolerate CDs at all.

My 1st CD player was a Marantz version of the Philips system and chipset. Decent enough, but I ended up adding an extra 19kHz LPF that also dropped
    the level by c 6dB. The perceived improvement may have been due to the
    latter, not sure.

I think that was around 1987. I recall the
    first time we heard a 207, my wife (better ears than me) was first to
    comment in surprise she exclaimed "It's playing the same record as the
    LP that's a first". The 208 came out a couple of years later and blew
    the 207 away so rapid was the rate of improvement at the time. Prior to
    that, CD was just unpleasant to listen to. I wasn't including early
    horrors.

Yes, I liked the Meridian DACs. Their early transports were a bit of a PITA
    for being fussy, though.

I cannot remember hearing rumble in the last 40 years and eos distortion
    I'm not sure I've ever encountered that.

Quite common on 'orchestral' discs if the level of cut is high, or if your stylus can't cope. But may pass un-noticed by people who having had a fair exposure to live classical orchestral sounds.

In reality the chances of hearing that at 70mph on a car radio.

I'd not really judge any audio kit on the basis unless it was declared
    first. No real interest in car audio as I've not had a car for most of my
    life.

Playing Lps in a car would be even more of a challenge I suspect if you
    want optimal results. 8-]

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to bob@sick-of-spam.invalid on Tue Apr 11 15:30:48 2023
    In article <5a936fa5acbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    Back in the day where I worked, Hi-Fi was a must have item, almost every
    male got himself a system. One colleague who had an unusual philips
    turntable at the time came to our house and listened to my system. He
    then went out and bought the same turntable arm and cartridge that I
    had, I asked why. He said surface noise, your turntable combination had significantly less noise than mine.

At the time, the story was that certain arms especially, got excited by
    click energy coming from the stylus and appeared to resonate with it,
    making things worse. I'm not claiming there's any truth in that but it
    was a theory at the time.

The shape of the stylus and its contact area (affected by downforce) can
    change the resulting 'click' when it hits a bit of dust or a nick in the groove. And the ability of the overall stylus to cope with near-impulses
    may mean variations in how it copes.

Also, quite a few carts show resonant peaks in the HF below 20kHz. Watch
    out particularly for ones where the V and H responses are very different.
    That tends to hide this from L/R plots. A resonant, nonlinear reaction can
    make a click much louder to the ear. Sort of mini 'Boinggggg...' rather
    than 'tick!'. 8-]

The curio is the way reviewers tend not to point this out even when it can
    be seen in H/V plots of the response.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to me@privacy.invalid on Tue Apr 11 15:35:21 2023
    In article <u13mug$2kh14$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

There will be some purists who prefer the more mellow sound that RIAA companding causes,

Do you mean "companding"? The usual reference to RIAA is to the applied EQ
    and its nominal correction curve. Companding is something else.

That said, yes, LPs may well have had their sound levels compressed to fit
    them into the range that can be coped with. Or to make the sound more impressive in the home.

I was listening to carsik fm when in the kitchen a few days ago. The result
    was useful in a noisy kitchen but the large use of banded compression was obvious compared with R3.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Wed Apr 12 13:33:07 2023
    On 11/04/2023 15:35, Jim Lesurf wrote:
    In article <u13mug$2kh14$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

There will be some purists who prefer the more mellow sound that RIAA
    companding causes,

Do you mean "companding"? The usual reference to RIAA is to the applied EQ and its nominal correction curve. Companding is something else.

That said, yes, LPs may well have had their sound levels compressed to fit them into the range that can be coped with. Or to make the sound more impressive in the home.

No I don't mean companding, do I? I mean a non-flat frequency response
    which emphasises high frequencies during the mastering and a
    "reciprocal" frequency response at the record player which attenuates
    them. This leads (theoretically) to a flat frequency response, but with
    the high frequencies of record noise attenuated.

However, as you say, I wonder if there *is* any companding (in the sense
    of time-varying gain) to fit wide dynamic range into the range of groove deviations that are possible without sacrificing playing time.

If RIAA boosting and attenuation were perfectly matched and you ended up
    with a flat frequency response, there'd be nothing for audiophiles to
    prefer about vinyl compared with CD, so there must be more to it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to bob@sick-of-spam.invalid on Wed Apr 12 13:12:01 2023
    In article <5a93845b48bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

It is because of the handling problems (dust/scratches) that I am
    puzzled that vinyl is so popular these days. There will be some
    purists who prefer the more mellow sound that RIAA companding causes,
    but is this enough to persuade such large numbers of people to prefer
    it to CD, given the much more significant problem of very intrusive
    dust and scratch noise?

Nostalgia and the feeling of buying vinyl, a true album and of course
    seeing the turntable working, I think they look great and very romantic,
    if you like that kind of thing.

FWIW I'm quite happy with some of the new LPs I bought a few years ago.
    Well made. But not all have been like that. And for safety I've made
    transfers, which are also then more convenient to play, keeping the LPs
    safe and stored.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to me@privacy.net on Thu Apr 13 09:51:09 2023
    In article <EyOdnXXKga6ZOKv5nZ2dnZfqnPgAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

of time-varying gain) to fit wide dynamic range into the range of
    groove deviations that are possible without sacrificing playing time.

"Companding" in my mind implies that level compression at one stage of the signal path is 'un-done' (Expanded) at another. The reality with LP is more likely to be level compression deliberately applied. Indeed, 'popular',
    music routinely uses this anyway as an 'effect'. Compare Classic FM with
    Radio 3 via iPlayer and the changes are obvious. Can sound very pleasing
    for many people/examples. But means you don't get out what was put in.

The levels of intermod distortion with LP are much higher than on CD. Particularly, again, near end-of-side. And in reality it is the norm for
    both disc cutting and replay to not have flat responses. Traditional
    'lathes' used tend(ed) to lose all their cutter feedback at HF frequencies
    well below 20kHz, etc, etc.

FWIW I also recall seeing long ago a photo of a cutter in use to make a
    laquer. It had a bit of string from the head to a pot. As the cutter
    tracked inwards it rotated this pot, which was used to gradually wind down 'high treble'. This is because it gets harder to cut and play loud HF
    nearer the disc center. i.e. more distortion. The idea was that people
    don't notice the gradual change and acclimatise to it as they listen. One reason why disc cutting was a skill, almost an artform.

The results *can* be superb. Dragon's Dream have done some super LPs via
    direct cut, for example. And some other discs I've bought also are very
    good. But doing this right tends to mean high cost discs and a lower limit
    on how many can then be pressed as the chain of items deteriorate as they
    are used. And *care* is needed at each stage.

When LP was the bulk medium, care was rarer because the companies made
    more by using the public as their 'QC'... and many played on Dansette-grade
    or lower kit, so never did hear what you could get on a good system.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to Jim Lesurf on Thu Apr 13 09:32:52 2023
    On Tuesday, 11 April 2023 at 10:00:15 UTC+1, Jim Lesurf wrote:
    In article <5a92eb...@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
    Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
    In article <7825a761-846c-4eab...@googlegroups.com>,
    R. Mark Clayton <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:

sound is still improving both by measurement and by the sound reproduced. It has largely moved away now from CD players and

Cost!

the dac and analogue components costs money.

Not particularly difficult to do. Although I'd agree that some players are poorer than others. No need to high expense.

Even easier to use digital out and do DAC in your [expensive] amp.

Flutter, hiss (from the basic construction of LP's resulting in S/N of 45dB or worse.

Oh and pick-ups are very sensitive to loud noise.

Any comments about EMI in relation to the DAC applies even more strongly to few mV on the [phono] cable from the deck to the amp, although these days many decks incorporate an pre-amp to boost the output to line voltage or even direct to digital.

LP is/was also very vulnerable to shoddy manufacture and handling before
    you got it. I still recall that more often than not I had to return my
    'first try' at buying something on LP I had to take it back for an obvious fault and get another copy. Stats reported by HFN of the time also showed this up very clearly.

Whereas I've *very* rarely needed to take a new CD back for replacement because it was flawed.

The remarkable thing is that LP - like FM - can sound great *IF* well
    made and played and handled with care. Alas, that condition often
    didn't last until the shop handed it to you.

So, yes I've got some excellent LPs. But not all are like that.
    And pre-CD many were poorly made.
    Jim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Thu Apr 13 18:16:26 2023
    On 13/04/2023 17:32, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Flutter, hiss (from the basic construction of LP's resulting in S/N of 45dB or worse.

Oh and pick-ups are very sensitive to loud noise.

Any comments about EMI in relation to the DAC applies even more strongly to few mV on the [phono] cable from the deck to the amp, although these days many decks incorporate an pre-amp to boost the output to line voltage or even direct to digital.

Yes, also the magnetic cartridges themselves were particularly prone to
    picking up e-m interference, for example from a nearby CRT TV, not that
    you'd usually be watching a TV while listening to an LP, but that might
    happen if you've turned the TV on to catch the start of a sporting event
    but meanwhile prefer to listen to music of your own choice.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vir Campestris@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Thu Apr 13 21:40:43 2023
    On 05/04/2023 11:26, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    Soon after CD's came out an electronic magazine compared the spec's of CD v. vinyl. It was like comparing a Ferrari with a Ford Pinto - dynamic range 96dB v 4?dB, immeasurable wow and flutter, no crosstalk etc. etc. Then I could easily tell the
    difference between CD's and LP's played over FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so good now).

There is one area in which an LP is enormously superior to a CD.

The gatefold sleeve.

The artwork on some of mine is lovely. CDs sound better to me, and are
    far easier to handle. Sadly these days the limiting factor is my ears.
    Poor HF response and a lousy SNR.

Andy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Vir Campestris on Fri Apr 14 09:18:53 2023
    "Vir Campestris" <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:u19pcb$149tl$1@dont-email.me...
    Soon after CD's came out an electronic magazine compared the spec's of CD
    v. vinyl. It was like comparing a Ferrari with a Ford Pinto - dynamic
    range 96dB v 4?dB, immeasurable wow and flutter, no crosstalk etc. etc.
    Then I could easily tell the difference between CD's and LP's played over
    FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so good now).

I'd find it hard to tell the difference on a car radio because a) there's a
    lot of background engine/road noise, and b) radio stations seem to manage
    the impossible: playing records without getting any dust/scratch noise.

PS if you want really bad media try listening to a pre-recorded compact
    cassette!

The sound quality of a pre-recorded cassette may be worse (noise, wow, frequency response) than an LP, but all that pales into insignificance
    compared with the absence of dust/scratch noise which is the thing that I
    find objectionable with vinyl.

The gatefold sleeve.

The artwork on some of mine is lovely.

Yes, that is one thing where CDs suffer. But as long as you can put up with
    a much smaller album photo, you often get more detail in the pull-out
    booklet than you would have got on a simple front-and-back LP sleeve, though maybe not as much as with a gatefold LP with inserts etc. On the other hand, record labels can put some of the info on a web site now and refer buyers of
    CD or LP to that.

CDs sound better to me, and are far easier to handle. Sadly these days the limiting factor is my ears. Poor HF response and a lousy SNR.

My HF response is worse than it was. When I last had my hearing tested at
    the age of about 45, I think they said it was "good" up to about 10 kHz. I wonder if "good" means "within 3 dB of the flat response at medium frequencies", as you'd define for an amplifier. Now I'm 60, I wonder what my hearing results would be. Maybe "good up to 8 kHz, and with intermittent 10
    kHz tinnitus whistle in one ear" ;-)

I've always found that very high frequencies set my teeth on edge (in the
    same way that some people don't like the noise of chalk on a blackboard).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roderick Stewart@21:1/5 to vir.campestris@invalid.invalid on Fri Apr 14 09:40:46 2023
    On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:40:43 +0100, Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

The gatefold sleeve.

Agreed. They missed a marketing trick by assuming that because the
    discs themselves were small they had to make the packaging as small as
    possible too. I would have used A4 size thick card (or maybe plastic)
    with an inset to take the disc itself (or several discs if needed) and
    a transparent front cover sheet to protect it. This would have fitted
    well with with shelving and storage designed for other A4 size items,
    it would have provided plenty of room for information on the back, it
    would have been a comfortable size to handle, and it could easily have
    been accompanied by more A4 printed material whenever needed.

But they didn't ask me.

Rod.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roderick Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 14 10:02:08 2023
    On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 13:12:01 +0100, Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk>
    wrote:

Well made. But not all have been like that. And for safety I've made >transfers, which are also then more convenient to play, keeping the LPs
    safe and stored.

If a published recording uses digital mastering, which I think they
    generally do now, then think about what happens when you play one of
    your digital safety transfers. The digital master recording will have
    been converted to an analogue signal to be recorded mechanically on a gramophone lathe (with all its mechanical deficiencies and
    distortions) so when it is later played back on another mechanical
    system, the analogue output will then have been converted into digits
    a second time to make the safety transfer that you actually play.

In other words, the signal has gone from digits to digits, but with a completely unneccessary mechanical analogue conversion in the middle.
    Why not just buy the CD and have the digits without the distortions?
    Your system seems as mad as having a motor vehicle towed by a horse.

Rod.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to me@privacy.invalid on Fri Apr 14 10:00:03 2023
    In article <u1b28n$1fejl$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
    "Vir Campestris" <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:u19pcb$149tl$1@dont-email.me...
    etc. etc. Then I could easily tell the difference between CD's and
    LP's played over FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so
    good now).

I'd find it hard to tell the difference on a car radio because a) there's
    a lot of background engine/road noise, and b) radio stations seem to
    manage the impossible: playing records without getting any dust/scratch noise.

PS if you want really bad media try listening to a pre-recorded
    compact cassette!

The sound quality of a pre-recorded cassette may be worse (noise, wow, frequency response) than an LP, but all that pales into insignificance compared with the absence of dust/scratch noise which is the thing that I find objectionable with vinyl.

The gatefold sleeve.

Yes, that is one thing where CDs suffer. But as long as you can put up
    with a much smaller album photo, you often get more detail in the
    pull-out booklet than you would have got on a simple front-and-back LP sleeve, though maybe not as much as with a gatefold LP with inserts etc.
    On the other hand, record labels can put some of the info on a web site
    now and refer buyers of CD or LP to that.

CDs sound better to me, and are far easier to handle. Sadly these days
    the limiting factor is my ears. Poor HF response and a lousy SNR.

the age of about 45, I think they said it was "good" up to about 10 kHz.
    I wonder if "good" means "within 3 dB of the flat response at medium frequencies", as you'd define for an amplifier. Now I'm 60, I wonder what
    my hearing results would be. Maybe "good up to 8 kHz, and with
    intermittent 10 kHz tinnitus whistle in one ear" ;-)

I've always found that very high frequencies set my teeth on edge (in the same way that some people don't like the noise of chalk on a
    blackboard).

I have a nasty notch at about 4kHz, but modern hearing aids can recover a
    lot of it. Useless alarm on my wrist watch which I can't hear if I'm not wearing them - which I don't when asleep.

--
    from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té
    "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robin@21:1/5 to Roderick Stewart on Fri Apr 14 10:12:42 2023
    On 14/04/2023 09:40, Roderick Stewart wrote:
    On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:40:43 +0100, Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

The gatefold sleeve.

discs themselves were small they had to make the packaging as small as possible too. I would have used A4 size thick card (or maybe plastic)

But they didn't ask me.

They might have wondered how A4 fitted with the emphasis on "compact" - mini-sized player and a pocket-sized disc. Portable and in-car use were
    part of the marketing from the start, even though players came along later.

--
    Robin
    reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to Roderick Stewart on Fri Apr 14 10:22:02 2023
    In article <3h4i3itpcob0gsfkicl7mfnvjdr54999vo@4ax.com>,
    Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
    wrote:

FWIW I'm quite happy with some of the new LPs I bought a few years ago. >Well made. But not all have been like that. And for safety I've made >transfers, which are also then more convenient to play, keeping the LPs >safe and stored.

been converted to an analogue signal to be recorded mechanically on a gramophone lathe (with all its mechanical deficiencies and

In other words, the signal has gone from digits to digits, but with a completely unneccessary mechanical analogue conversion in the middle.

Rod.

But, you've forgotten the 'musicality' you get from LPs.

--
    from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té
    "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roderick Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 14 11:06:38 2023
    On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:22:02 +0100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
    wrote:

wrote:

Well made. But not all have been like that. And for safety I've made
    transfers, which are also then more convenient to play, keeping the LPs
    safe and stored.

been converted to an analogue signal to be recorded mechanically on a
    gramophone lathe (with all its mechanical deficiencies and

In other words, the signal has gone from digits to digits, but with a
    completely unneccessary mechanical analogue conversion in the middle.

Rod.

Is that another word for distortion?

Rod.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roderick Stewart@21:1/5 to Robin on Fri Apr 14 11:03:59 2023
    On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:12:42 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:40:43 +0100, Vir Campestris
    <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

The gatefold sleeve.

But they didn't ask me.

They might have wondered how A4 fitted with the emphasis on "compact" - >mini-sized player and a pocket-sized disc. Portable and in-car use were
    part of the marketing from the start, even though players came along later.

The discs may be compact, but the people who use them are no more
    compact than previously. Small CD wallet albums are available for
    those who find them handy. Maybe my wonderful A4 card system could
    have included a detachable 12cm title slip for those who wanted to
    keep their discs in a smaller wallet for daily use, while keeping the
    full info on the A4 card on a bookshelf. Who knows? I'm sure there
    would have been lots of possibilities, but sadly it didn't happen.

Now we've got gigabytes on memory cards the size of a fingernail, but
    the packaging for those *has* to be bigger, otherwise we'd lose them. (Sometimes we lose them anyway). Things designed for human beings to
    handle should be optimised for human beings.

Rod.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 14 05:04:32 2023
    On Friday, 14 April 2023 at 09:18:36 UTC+1, NY wrote:
    "Vir Campestris" <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:u19pcb$149tl$1...@dont-email.me...
    Soon after CD's came out an electronic magazine compared the spec's of CD >> v. vinyl. It was like comparing a Ferrari with a Ford Pinto - dynamic
    range 96dB v 4?dB, immeasurable wow and flutter, no crosstalk etc. etc.
    Then I could easily tell the difference between CD's and LP's played over >> FM radio while driving up the M6 (my old ears not so good now).
    I'd find it hard to tell the difference on a car radio because a) there's a lot of background engine/road noise, and b) radio stations seem to manage
    the impossible: playing records without getting any dust/scratch noise.

Well I easily could then - over a third of a century ago, although I was driving a BMW 735iSE with a Balupunkt radio and decent speakers.
    Alas see below.

SNIP

CDs sound better to me, and are far easier to handle. Sadly these days the limiting factor is my ears. Poor HF response and a lousy SNR.

Me too, plus some attenuation...

the age of about 45, I think they said it was "good" up to about 10 kHz. I wonder if "good" means "within 3 dB of the flat response at medium frequencies", as you'd define for an amplifier. Now I'm 60, I wonder what my hearing results would be. Maybe "good up to 8 kHz, and with intermittent 10 kHz tinnitus whistle in one ear" ;-)

Well it was ~35Hz = ~20kHz when I was seventeen, and for a few years I could sometimes hear the 19kHz tone on stereo FM if the decoder was cheap.

Last year I topped out at ~4k5Hz, which was a bit of a shock...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Roderick Stewart on Fri Apr 14 12:58:21 2023
    On 14/04/2023 11:06, Roderick Stewart wrote:
    On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:22:02 +0100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
    wrote:

wrote:

FWIW I'm quite happy with some of the new LPs I bought a few years ago. >>>> Well made. But not all have been like that. And for safety I've made
    transfers, which are also then more convenient to play, keeping the LPs >>>> safe and stored.

been converted to an analogue signal to be recorded mechanically on a
    gramophone lathe (with all its mechanical deficiencies and

In other words, the signal has gone from digits to digits, but with a
    completely unneccessary mechanical analogue conversion in the middle.

Rod.

Is that another word for distortion?

Yes, but it's "good" distortion which turns "clinical" CD into "musical"
    LP ;-)

In practice, it is probably band-limiting and a bit of
    compression/expansion, and maybe a non-flat frequency response if the
    player's RIAA equalisation curve doesn't match the mastering RIAA curve.
    Plus some background noise: dirt-in-groove, dust, scratches, roughness
    of vinyl etc.

It may well be that all this does subjectively "improve" the sound for
    some people. Everyone's different.

I wonder whether CD player manufacturers have missed a trick by not
    having a preset filter that can be switched in or out, to mimic the imperfections caused by the conversion to LP. Then audiophiles who
    prefer the sound of LP can have it without needing to faff around with a
    much large disc (12" as opposed to about 4" for a CD) which has to be
    cleaned before playing and is not as portable or rugged, and which makes
    it much harder to jump to specific tracks than with a CD.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to Robin on Fri Apr 14 13:24:46 2023
    On 14/04/2023 10:12, Robin wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:40:43 +0100, Vir Campestris
    <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

The gatefold sleeve.

They might have wondered how A4 fitted with the emphasis on "compact" - mini-sized player and a pocket-sized disc.  Portable and in-car use were part of the marketing from the start, even though players came along later.

And the extra distribution costs of all that totally unnecessary extra
    weight!

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Fri Apr 14 13:39:18 2023
    On 14/04/2023 13:04, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    On Friday, 14 April 2023 at 09:18:36 UTC+1, NY wrote:
    "Vir Campestris" <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    Sadly these days the
    limiting factor is my ears. Poor HF response and a lousy SNR.

Me too, plus some attenuation...

the age of about 45, I think they said it was "good" up to about 10 kHz. I >> wonder if "good" means "within 3 dB of the flat response at medium
    frequencies", as you'd define for an amplifier. Now I'm 60, I wonder what my >> hearing results would be. Maybe "good up to 8 kHz, and with intermittent 10 >> kHz tinnitus whistle in one ear" ;-)

Well it was ~35Hz = ~20kHz when I was seventeen, and for a few years I could sometimes hear the 19kHz tone on stereo FM if the decoder was cheap.

Scary! I wonder what mine is these days.

I used to be able to hear the 15625 Hz line frequency of 625-line TV.
    Not so it was intrusive but I was aware of it, especially in a TV shop
    where there were a lot of TVs close together. The 10125 Hz of 405-line
    TV was very noticeable, though it was rare to find those TVs en-masse.

I don't think I could ever hear the 19 kHz pilot tone of stereo FM
    radio. I could distinguish stereo FM from mono by the increased hiss,
    but I wasn't aware of a single tone.

I was always surprised how much 15625 tone was present in analogue
    recordings made from NICAM stereo (back in the days when I recorded a TV
    theme using my PC sound card from NICAM soundtrack of analogue TV).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Latham@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Fri Apr 14 13:23:07 2023
    In article <6dff1fa8-ddc2-4777-bfd6-6d54485b0b52n@googlegroups.com>,

Well I easily could then - over a third of a century ago, although
    I was driving a BMW 735iSE with a Balupunkt radio and decent
    speakers. Alas see below.

It's still bullshit.

You really are going to persist with this nonsense aren't you.

Carry on.

Bob.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roderick Stewart@21:1/5 to me@privacy.net on Fri Apr 14 14:19:54 2023
    On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:39:18 +0100, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

Scary! I wonder what mine is these days.

Even more noticeable was the beat frequency in places that had both
    15625 and 15734 picture monitors in the same room. Perhaps you could
    become ooblivious to it if you worked there for long enough, but it
    was very noticeable, and annoying, to me.

Rod.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Norman Wells@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 14 16:18:54 2023
    On 14/04/2023 13:39, NY wrote:

I don't think I could ever hear the 19 kHz pilot tone of stereo FM
    radio. I could distinguish stereo FM from mono by the increased hiss,
    but I wasn't aware of a single tone.

Makes you wonder what ill effects it may have had, completely oblivious
    to us, on domestic pets, like dogs. Kids who could hear high
    frequencies intensely disliked the short-lived Mosquito deterrent as I
    recall, so dogs must have been able to hear them.

It's also a theory of mine that dogs especially were aware of the
    flickering of CRT televisions, which they never seemed interested in,
    however good we regarded the picture. But there are numerous examples
    now of dogs, and cats, watching LED TVs and reacting to their content as
    if it were real, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sjvcR4jNKcE

I wonder if that's ever been established scientifically?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to vir.campestris@invalid.invalid on Fri Apr 14 10:08:37 2023
    In article <u19pcb$149tl$1@dont-email.me>, Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

The gatefold sleeve.

Some of the CD sets I've bought in recent years come in an 'LP sized' box
    and look like a box of a set of LPs. With an LP-sized booklet. This is a
    PITA for those who can't store that size, but useful for having more info, better graphics, etc.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to me@privacy.net on Fri Apr 14 17:40:43 2023
    In article <GWednZkTSZ1AoqT5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

I wonder whether CD player manufacturers have missed a trick by not
    having a preset filter that can be switched in or out, to mimic the imperfections caused by the conversion to LP. Then audiophiles who
    prefer the sound of LP can have it without needing to faff around with a
    much large disc (12" as opposed to about 4" for a CD) which has to be
    cleaned before playing and is not as portable or rugged, and which makes
    it much harder to jump to specific tracks than with a CD.

You'd need to also 'fake' the distorted crosstalk and the way the L+R and
    L-R responses often differ. And the EOS distortion, etc.

In practice these things are more noticable for classical music than 'pop' because pop tends to be studio bound and generated whereas people who go to classical concerts get to hear what the LP/CD sets out to reproduce.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lesurf@21:1/5 to rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk on Fri Apr 14 17:37:33 2023
    In article <3h4i3itpcob0gsfkicl7mfnvjdr54999vo@4ax.com>, Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
    wrote:

FWIW I'm quite happy with some of the new LPs I bought a few years ago. >Well made. But not all have been like that. And for safety I've made >transfers, which are also then more convenient to play, keeping the LPs >safe and stored.

If a published recording uses digital mastering,

Not all have. cf Dragon's Dream.

However I've bought far more CDs than LPs. And some LP sets have 'bonus'
    items not on the CDs.

But yes, in general I did know what you said. But the LPs still sound good
    as additional material to enjoy. If they are well made, click free, etc.

Jim

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony sayer@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 16 16:04:40 2023
    In article <5a946162fbnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> scribeth thus
    In article <EyOdnXXKga6ZOKv5nZ2dnZfqnPgAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>, NY ><me@privacy.net> wrote:

of time-varying gain) to fit wide dynamic range into the range of
    groove deviations that are possible without sacrificing playing time.

"Companding" in my mind implies that level compression at one stage of the >signal path is 'un-done' (Expanded) at another. The reality with LP is more >likely to be level compression deliberately applied. Indeed, 'popular',
    music routinely uses this anyway as an 'effect'. Compare Classic FM with >Radio 3 via iPlayer and the changes are obvious. Can sound very pleasing
    for many people/examples. But means you don't get out what was put in.

The levels of intermod distortion with LP are much higher than on CD. >Particularly, again, near end-of-side. And in reality it is the norm for
    both disc cutting and replay to not have flat responses. Traditional
    'lathes' used tend(ed) to lose all their cutter feedback at HF frequencies >well below 20kHz, etc, etc.

FWIW I also recall seeing long ago a photo of a cutter in use to make a >laquer. It had a bit of string from the head to a pot. As the cutter
    tracked inwards it rotated this pot, which was used to gradually wind down >'high treble'. This is because it gets harder to cut and play loud HF
    nearer the disc center. i.e. more distortion. The idea was that people
    don't notice the gradual change and acclimatise to it as they listen. One >reason why disc cutting was a skill, almost an artform.

The results *can* be superb. Dragon's Dream have done some super LPs via >direct cut, for example. And some other discs I've bought also are very
    good. But doing this right tends to mean high cost discs and a lower limit
    on how many can then be pressed as the chain of items deteriorate as they
    are used. And *care* is needed at each stage.

When LP was the bulk medium, care was rarer because the companies made
    more by using the public as their 'QC'... and many played on Dansette-grade >or lower kit, so never did hear what you could get on a good system.

Jim

LOL! i remember years ago thumbing thru the CBS, thats Philips combined services catalogue, there was a cartridge that could drive a PL84?,
    series output pentode directly it was that high presumably as after a
    few plays the groves where straightened out!..

--
    Tony Sayer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Fri Apr 21 22:07:22 2023

"""

"""

<Raspberry>

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we all revert back to Logie Baird's first TV experiments claiming they are somehow truer to life
    than modern HD TV.

On a similar theme, recently I've been listening to lots of old Proms recordings, and I've lost count of the number of decent pieces of music
    ruined by coughers in quiet sections of the movement. For a long time
    now, the broadside of coughing during intervals in the music has been
    quite bad enough - and proves how unnecessary the whole thing is,
    because if it could be held back during the music, it could have been
    held back until outside the venue - but at least it can be edited out
    if you particularly like the recording, but audiences are now so selfish
    and ill-mannered that they even cough during the music. Now, I'm not
    paying anything to hear a Proms recording, but can you imagine if you'd
    paid a small fortune to get a ticket, and you ended up sitting next to
    someone like that ruining your evening?

I once ended up in a June Tabor & Martin Simpson concert sitting next to someone noisily taking photos during quiet songs - with cheerful and
    friendly exactitude I described to him that if he did it again just how
    I'd ram his camera down his throat, and thereafter he confined it to
    intervals between the songs, which was fine!

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05