• ROT: Pye radio and TV sets go on display in Cambridge

From Java Jive@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 13:34:36 2023
    Might be of interest to some here ...

Pye radio and TV sets go on display in Cambridge https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64547298

--

Fake news kills!

I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website:
    www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Tue Feb 7 16:01:28 2023
    On 07/02/2023 13:34, Java Jive wrote:

Pye radio and TV sets go on display in Cambridge https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64547298

Ah, I didn't know that Pye's factory was in Cambridge. [By the 1930s]
    "Half the homes in the country had a radio set" (*) is quite high, given
    that BBC was only founded 8 years earlier than 1930. I wonder how long
    it took for a similar proportion of houses to have a TV? Maybe a certain
    event in 1953 would have skewed the result ;-)

Similarly for telephones. We'd had a telephone for as long as I can
    remember (mid 1960s) and both sets of grandparents, and all my school
    friends' parents, had one, so it came as a surprise to hear how many
    people said on a discussion forum that they or their parents didn't get
    a phone until much later. Of course availability of service and being
    able to afford it is a factor... All the people I knew lived in a town
    and were middle-income (teacher, print-worker, accountant, university
    lecturer etc). I always thought when I was little that a party line was
    a different level of service: that someone could choose whether to pay
    less for a party line or more for an exclusive line, whereas it was
    normally imposed on them depending on the number of available line-pairs
    to that street. I remember when my parents first got a phone at their
    holiday cottage in the Yorkshire Dales, they had a multiplexer box which
    ran their phone and a neighbours over the same line by modulating one at
    a higher frequency, because of lack of pairs - it was like a party line
    without the exclusive-use restriction. That lasted until their exchange
    was enabled for broadband, when BT *had* to provide a separate pair for
    every house (that wanted broadband).

(*) OK, they may have used the term "wireless" in those days!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to me@privacy.net on Tue Feb 7 16:42:26 2023
    In article <4fKcnfOeCvdE6H_-nZ2dnZfqn_gAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>,
    NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

that BBC was only founded 8 years earlier than 1930.

The BBC celebrated its centenary last year. So, 1922 was the founding year.
    Yes, I know it was the 'Company' then, but it still transmitted wireless broadcasts.

--
    from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té
    "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 19:34:33 2023
    On 07/02/2023 16:01, NY wrote:
    it took for a similar proportion of houses to have a TV? Maybe a certain event in 1953 would have skewed the result 😉

Pye is synonymous with Cambridge, often know as Pye of Cambridge and one
    of Pye Telecoms most famous sets was the Pye Cambridge.

I thought I posted this here.

https://www.pye-story.org/

This is the broadcast part.

https://www.pye-story.org/companies/pye-tvt-story

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Gaff@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 09:36:15 2023
    Well one of the Pie Radios used for mobile communication was in fact called
    the Cambridge, which was where that sort of radio was made of course.
    I was born in 1950, and had a radio from as far back as I can remember
    sitting on top of a cupboard out of my reach. My father was in the business,
    so used to get all kinds of oddball tvs and radios to test since Rediffusion rented them all.

We had a TV in 1953, a back projection one. Its one of my first memories at
    3 years old. The coronation and the horse racing later on in the afternoons that my old gran used to use to teach me English.
    Going back to radios though. The dials normally had labels like Hilversham
    and Athlone etc on it rather than frequencies as now. The loudspeakers on
    some used electromagnets, and doubled as a choke in the ht line, so always seemed to have a low level buzz. Of course many were AC and DC, u just using
    a big dropper resistor in the back and one small the thing to keep the
    heaters from going too brightly. As many valves were in series you tended to get some issues where on heater stopped and nothing worked at all. Even TVs used to do this using auto transformers when we finally went completely Ac. Thus working on any such sets meant working with a chassis often at mains potential. Risky.
    Brian

--

--:
    This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
    The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
    briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    Blind user, so no pictures please
    Note this Signature is meaningless.!
    "NY" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:4fKcnfOeCvdE6H_-nZ2dnZfqn_gAAAAA@brightview.co.uk...

Pye radio and TV sets go on display in Cambridge
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64547298

that BBC was only founded 8 years earlier than 1930. I wonder how long it took for a similar proportion of houses to have a TV? Maybe a certain

Similarly for telephones. We'd had a telephone for as long as I can
    remember (mid 1960s) and both sets of grandparents, and all my school friends' parents, had one, so it came as a surprise to hear how many
    people said on a discussion forum that they or their parents didn't get a phone until much later. Of course availability of service and being able
    to afford it is a factor... All the people I knew lived in a town and were middle-income (teacher, print-worker, accountant, university lecturer
    etc). I always thought when I was little that a party line was a different level of service: that someone could choose whether to pay less for a
    party line or more for an exclusive line, whereas it was normally imposed
    on them depending on the number of available line-pairs to that street. I remember when my parents first got a phone at their holiday cottage in the Yorkshire Dales, they had a multiplexer box which ran their phone and a neighbours over the same line by modulating one at a higher frequency, because of lack of pairs - it was like a party line without the
    exclusive-use restriction. That lasted until their exchange was enabled
    for broadband, when BT *had* to provide a separate pair for every house
    (that wanted broadband).

(*) OK, they may have used the term "wireless" in those days!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Brian Gaff on Wed Feb 8 09:58:39 2023
    "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:trvqei$4d1v$1@dont-email.me...
    We had a TV in 1953, a back projection one. Its one of my first memories
    at 3 years old. The coronation and the horse racing later on in the afternoons that my old gran used to use to teach me English.
    Going back to radios though. The dials normally had labels like Hilversham and Athlone etc on it rather than frequencies as now. The loudspeakers on some used electromagnets, and doubled as a choke in the ht line, so always seemed to have a low level buzz. Of course many were AC and DC, u just
    using a big dropper resistor in the back and one small the thing to keep
    the heaters from going too brightly. As many valves were in series you
    tended to get some issues where on heater stopped and nothing worked at
    all. Even TVs used to do this using auto transformers when we finally went completely Ac. Thus working on any such sets meant working with a chassis often at mains potential. Risky.

I remember when one of the knobs on our first colour TV fell off, my grandpa yelled "DON'T TOUCH THE TV", because he remembered the days of older TVs
    which had live chassis, hence the plastic knobs to insulate the user from
    the metal shank of the pot.

I always wondered: how did they prevent the screen of the TV aerial socket
    from being live? You could have a completely insulated TV with no exposed (live) metalwork, but you still needed an aerial socket. Did they rely on
    the aerial plug on the cable being insulated with a moulded-on skin of
    rubber?

Reminds me of my TV from about 2000 which seemed to be putting out about 100
    V AC on the aerial screen via a high resistance. I noticed it when I went to unplug the aerial plug from another device (a DVB tuner in my earthed PC *)
    and got a noticeable tingle which was about 80 V across a human-being sized resistance (I didn't want to use my body when I was repeating the experience for testing!). After that I ran an earthing wire from a mains plug to the aerial plug, so all appliances connected to the TV would be earthed (at one point only - don't want earth loops!). Identifying the culprit took a while: there was the aerial amplifier PSU, the VCR (connected by aerial and SCART), the hifi (connected by audio lead to the VCR). Of all the possible devices,
    it was inevitably the TV which was the last that I tested ;-)

I've noticed that the metal case of my laptop tingles slightly if I run my finger over it while the laptop is plugged into its charger, so I imagine
    there is a similar thing: a moderately high voltage via a very high safety resistor. And that's with a 3-pin IEC mains socket in the charger so in
    theory the charger might be earthed (though I bet it's not).

(*) The TV aerial was earthed while it was connected to the tuner in the earthed PC. I put one hand on the PC case to stop it moving as I pulled out
    the aerial plug with the other hand. As soon as the aerial plug broke
    contact, it was no longer earthed and I got the 80 V AC across my chest. Not dangerous but decidedly unpleasant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to Brian Gaff on Wed Feb 8 11:54:41 2023
    On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 09:36:15 -0000
    "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

Well one of the Pie Radios used for mobile communication was in fact
    called the Cambridge, which was where that sort of radio was made of
    course. I was born in 1950, and had a radio from as far back as I can remember sitting on top of a cupboard out of my reach. My father was
    in the business, so used to get all kinds of oddball tvs and radios
    to test since Rediffusion rented them all.

We had a TV in 1953, a back projection one. Its one of my first
    memories at 3 years old. The coronation and the horse racing later on
    in the afternoons that my old gran used to use to teach me English.
    Going back to radios though. The dials normally had labels like
    Hilversham and Athlone etc on it rather than frequencies as now. The loudspeakers on some used electromagnets, and doubled as a choke in
    the ht line, so always seemed to have a low level buzz. Of course
    many were AC and DC, u just using a big dropper resistor in the back
    and one small the thing to keep the heaters from going too brightly.
    As many valves were in series you tended to get some issues where on
    heater stopped and nothing worked at all. Even TVs used to do this
    using auto transformers when we finally went completely Ac. Thus
    working on any such sets meant working with a chassis often at mains potential. Risky. Brian

When I was growing up, we had a wonderful Pye Radiogram unit. It was a
    piece of furniture. A sliding multi-disc record deck in the middle, a
    large speaker in the middle of the bottom section, with cabinets for
    LPs on each side. The top radio section sloped back, and indeed the
    tuner glass had those names; Hilversum, Berlin, Moscow and lots of other exotic-sounding places. It would also catch some police frequencies,
    and I once listened to a police chase catching a car with a
    knife-wielding guy as passenger.
    I took the radio chassis up to university with me in 1968, as a radio,
    making sure that the exposed components were out of anybody's reach!
    H&S would kill ME now, for that.
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Davey on Wed Feb 8 12:16:37 2023
    "Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message news:ts02i1$3m9i$3@dont-email.me...
    It would also catch some police frequencies,
    and I once listened to a police chase catching a car with a
    knife-wielding guy as passenger.

The ultimate was when I was at university. My hall of residence backed on to
    a very bumpy unmade road: large rocks sticking out of a track that ran
    between high walls, with a pair of gaps opposite each other to allow
    students to get between two halls of residence.

I happened to be listening to the police and in amongst the boring stuff
    there was report of a car chase after a "failed to stop". They mentioned occasional road names and I thought "That's getting a bit near here". Then there was police jargon which translated as "The stupid pillocks have just turned down Hollybush Lane - we've got them now!" And sure enough there were sirens and blue flashing lights coming along the track, following a car
    which bumped to a halt as it hit a rock. The guys jumped out of it, with a couple of coppers close behind. The sirens and lights has attracted
    attention and a few students blocked the guys' escape through the gaps in
    the walls. "You're nicked, mateys".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Brian Gaff on Wed Feb 8 12:38:10 2023
    On 08/02/2023 09:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
    Well one of the Pie Radios used for mobile communication was in fact called the Cambridge, which was where that sort of radio was made of course.

I mentioned that but the other well known transceiver was the Pye
    Westminster and I don't think any were made in Westminster! Ditto for
    Pye Whitehall.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 04:44:16 2023
    On Tuesday, 7 February 2023 at 16:01:35 UTC, NY wrote:

"Half the homes in the country had a radio set" (*) is quite high, given that BBC was only founded 8 years earlier than 1930. I wonder how long
    it took for a similar proportion of houses to have a TV? Maybe a certain event in 1953 would have skewed the result ;-)

A valve radio is a relatively simple device and these quickly became available following the advent of broadcasting in the 1920's. By 1930 they were $35 (~=£7 at the time) or a couple of weeks' wages. There was also quite quickly a lot of content with
    UK listeners able to tune into stations across much of Europe including radio Luxembourg from 1933.

One could even build a crystal set from simple components or even from scratch (I partly did so when aged 11 using a self-wound coil and a galena crystal I found in nearby hills) for negligible cost.

OTOH TV was introduced in 1936. The first sets retailed for £1,000 (probably a couple of years' average wages), there was only the BBC on a limited schedule and initially only in London. WWII meant TV was off for seven years and electronics production
    diverted for military purposes. Broadcasts resumed after the war, but resources were diverted into reconstruction and having [delayed] families. The UK missed the boat on colour TV by 14 years and there was no competition until 1955. Whilst there was
    a big boost for TV sales caused by QEII's coronation, mass market uptake was slow, impeded by all the above plus extortionate 100% purchase tax. Nevertheless my parents had a TV before 1960, probably on HP.

Phones were different matter, the GPO controlled that, installation was costly and there was (still is) rental to pay, anything but local calls were eye wateringly expensive. Subscribers could wait years for a line to be available with almost soviet
    style delays. Party lines were common and often obligatory, although unlike the USA only two would ever share a line [pair]. In the sticks many exchanges were still manual and only staffed part time. Things only really started improving when telephony
    was [gradually] opened to competition from the early 1980's - only then could you even get anything but a standard phone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 04:50:43 2023
    On Wednesday, 8 February 2023 at 09:58:52 UTC, NY wrote:
    "Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:trvqei$4d1v$1...@dont-email.me...
    We had a TV in 1953, a back projection one. Its one of my first memories at 3 years old. The coronation and the horse racing later on in the afternoons that my old gran used to use to teach me English.
    Going back to radios though. The dials normally had labels like Hilversham and Athlone etc on it rather than frequencies as now. The loudspeakers on some used electromagnets, and doubled as a choke in the ht line, so always seemed to have a low level buzz. Of course many were AC and DC, u just using a big dropper resistor in the back and one small the thing to keep the heaters from going too brightly. As many valves were in series you tended to get some issues where on heater stopped and nothing worked at all. Even TVs used to do this using auto transformers when we finally went completely Ac. Thus working on any such sets meant working with a chassis often at mains potential. Risky.
    I remember when one of the knobs on our first colour TV fell off, my grandpa yelled "DON'T TOUCH THE TV", because he remembered the days of older TVs which had live chassis, hence the plastic knobs to insulate the user from the metal shank of the pot.

I always wondered: how did they prevent the screen of the TV aerial socket from being live? You could have a completely insulated TV with no exposed (live) metalwork, but you still needed an aerial socket. Did they rely on the aerial plug on the cable being insulated with a moulded-on skin of rubber?

Reminds me of my TV from about 2000 which seemed to be putting out about 100 V AC on the aerial screen via a high resistance. I noticed it when I went to unplug the aerial plug from another device (a DVB tuner in my earthed PC *) and got a noticeable tingle which was about 80 V across a human-being sized resistance (I didn't want to use my body when I was repeating the experience for testing!). After that I ran an earthing wire from a mains plug to the aerial plug, so all appliances connected to the TV would be earthed (at one point only - don't want earth loops!). Identifying the culprit took a while: there was the aerial amplifier PSU, the VCR (connected by aerial and SCART), the hifi (connected by audio lead to the VCR). Of all the possible devices, it was inevitably the TV which was the last that I tested ;-)

I've noticed that the metal case of my laptop tingles slightly if I run my finger over it while the laptop is plugged into its charger, so I imagine there is a similar thing: a moderately high voltage via a very high safety resistor. And that's with a 3-pin IEC mains socket in the charger so in theory the charger might be earthed (though I bet it's not).

(*) The TV aerial was earthed while it was connected to the tuner in the earthed PC. I put one hand on the PC case to stop it moving as I pulled out the aerial plug with the other hand. As soon as the aerial plug broke contact, it was no longer earthed and I got the 80 V AC across my chest. Not dangerous but decidedly unpleasant.

I discovered a similar source of 'excitement' when fitting a replacement TV aerial on a mast on top of our block of flats (~10m up). The chassis on my AV floated up to ~110V and when I touched the mast I got a very unexpected "belt" in a very vulnerable
    position. Fortunately both the voltage and available current were low, so whilst decidedly unpleasant it was nowhere near as bad as a full-on mains shock. OTOH unlike all my other shocks except one, from a door in France, it was a surprise!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Wed Feb 8 12:52:34 2023
    On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 04:44:16 -0800 (PST)
    "R. Mark Clayton" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

Phones were different matter, the GPO controlled that, installation
    was costly and there was (still is) rental to pay,

Even if rental is still chargeable on a 'phone supplied by the company,
    does anybody do that now, with thousands of sets easily available that
    are then owned by the user?
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony sayer@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 13:30:17 2023
    In article <ts053j$64bs$1@dont-email.me>, MB <MB@nospam.net> scribeth
    thus
    Well one of the Pie Radios used for mobile communication was in fact called >> the Cambridge, which was where that sort of radio was made of course.

Westminster and I don't think any were made in Westminster! Ditto for
    Pye Whitehall.

Used to play around with one of those years ago, sparked an interest and setting up a firm to deal in Two Way radio!..

I didn't suppose they'll have a PYE 67 chassis TV in their showcase that
    was a stinking pile of shite, i think all of them were scrapped from an
    early age!..
    --
    Tony Sayer

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tony sayer@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 13:26:46 2023

I always wondered: how did they prevent the screen of the TV aerial socket >from being live? You could have a completely insulated TV with no exposed >(live) metalwork, but you still needed an aerial socket. Did they rely on
    the aerial plug on the cable being insulated with a moulded-on skin of >rubber?

TV's used to have an Aerial isolator plate this would have a disc
    ceramic type capacitor to carry the RF from the aerial input to the
    tuner and would have a high value Resistor to drain any any high voltage
    static charges that might build up on the aerial, as hardly any aerials
    would be earthed apart from pole mounted ones in your garden now very unfashionable!

If your TV was of the chassis connected to one side of the mains these
    were essential to isolate the aerial from the mains as some idiots would
    if the aerial socket was broken, bypass it this allowing the aerial to
    be at full mains voltage!!

Most any aerial rigger would brush his hand on the aerial to se if it
    was !LIVE! As they'd be on a metal ladder invariably on a lawn and quite
    well earthed NOT that good for the rigger concerned!!

Reminds me of my TV from about 2000 which seemed to be putting out about 100 >V AC on the aerial screen via a high resistance. I noticed it when I went to >unplug the aerial plug from another device (a DVB tuner in my earthed PC *) >and got a noticeable tingle which was about 80 V across a human-being sized >resistance (I didn't want to use my body when I was repeating the experience >for testing!). After that I ran an earthing wire from a mains plug to the >aerial plug, so all appliances connected to the TV would be earthed (at one >point only - don't want earth loops!). Identifying the culprit took a while: >there was the aerial amplifier PSU, the VCR (connected by aerial and SCART), >the hifi (connected by audio lead to the VCR). Of all the possible devices, >it was inevitably the TV which was the last that I tested ;-)

I've noticed that the metal case of my laptop tingles slightly if I run my >finger over it while the laptop is plugged into its charger, so I imagine >there is a similar thing: a moderately high voltage via a very high safety >resistor. And that's with a 3-pin IEC mains socket in the charger so in >theory the charger might be earthed (though I bet it's not).

Yes thats about right saves the cost and weight of a fully would
    transformer..

(*) The TV aerial was earthed while it was connected to the tuner in the >earthed PC. I put one hand on the PC case to stop it moving as I pulled out >the aerial plug with the other hand. As soon as the aerial plug broke >contact, it was no longer earthed and I got the 80 V AC across my chest. Not >dangerous but decidedly unpleasant.

Yes that too sounds about right, a small Capactive and resistive
    leakage!..

But that can depend of the time the set was designed they did vary over
    time..
    --
    Tony Sayer

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to tony sayer on Wed Feb 8 13:55:25 2023
    On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:30:17 +0000
    tony sayer <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote:

In article <ts053j$64bs$1@dont-email.me>, MB <MB@nospam.net> scribeth
    thus
    Well one of the Pie Radios used for mobile communication was in
    fact called the Cambridge, which was where that sort of radio was
    made of course.

I mentioned that but the other well known transceiver was the Pye >Westminster and I don't think any were made in Westminster! Ditto
    for Pye Whitehall.

Used to play around with one of those years ago, sparked an interest
    and setting up a firm to deal in Two Way radio!..

I didn't suppose they'll have a PYE 67 chassis TV in their showcase
    that was a stinking pile of shite, i think all of them were scrapped
    from an early age!..

When I was a student, three of us lived in a shared house, with a TV
    set. The sets were always donated free, so they were not exactly under warranty. Each holiday, one of us would take the set home, and bring it
    back for the next term. I had the TV in my home bedroom once, and
    suddenly there were sparks coming out of the back, and loud noises. I
    shut it off and disconnected it quickly. It had fully let its
    internal smoke out, it was done for. Later, I heard neighbours
    discussing the massive interference that had occurred on their sets at
    that exact time. I didn't say a word.
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to Davey on Wed Feb 8 14:02:24 2023
    On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:55:25 +0000
    Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

In article <ts053j$64bs$1@dont-email.me>, MB <MB@nospam.net>
    scribeth thus
    made of course.

I mentioned that but the other well known transceiver was the Pye >Westminster and I don't think any were made in Westminster! Ditto
    for Pye Whitehall.

from an early age!..

set. The sets were always donated free, so they were not exactly under warranty. Each holiday, one of us would take the set home, and bring
    it back for the next term. I had the TV in my home bedroom once, and

There was also the set we got from an Indian family, which stank of
    curry for several days before it finally burned off the smell.
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Davey on Wed Feb 8 15:44:41 2023
    On 08/02/2023 13:55, Davey wrote:
    set. The sets were always donated free, so they were not exactly under warranty. Each holiday, one of us would take the set home, and bring it

I was told someone (at Skelton I think) who connected their 2m
    transceiver to the TV aerial as I had no antenna. Unfortunately someone
    in another flat had tapped into the cable from his TV antenna and
    connected to their own TV.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Davey on Wed Feb 8 15:40:01 2023
    On 08/02/2023 12:52, Davey wrote:
    Even if rental is still chargeable on a 'phone supplied by the company,
    does anybody do that now, with thousands of sets easily available that
    are then owned by the user?

Before I retired, my phone was paid for because I was on call much of
    the time.

I kept the old (760?) phone until I retired because I found the bell
    would wake me up immediately which the page did not always do as quickly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Woody@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 16:06:36 2023
    On Wed 08/02/2023 12:38, MB wrote:
    Well one of the Pie Radios used for mobile communication was in fact
    called
    the Cambridge, which was where that sort of radio was made of course.

Westminster and I don't think any were made in Westminster!  Ditto for
    Pye Whitehall.

I used W15AM transmitters when I was a trainee! Wow - 1971 when we had
    the three day week and power cuts. The Whitehall was a combination AM
    and FM (hence it was a W20AM/FM) primarily for the Police. Fortunately I
    left unit test before they came along - horrible things.
    Then there was the M290 series, the Olympic, the Pegasus, the Beaver
    none of which were related to their namesakes!
    Finally in a much later life along came the FM1000 series, the FM1100
    being the standard FM mobile. Superb radio - I still have a couple of
    them in my shed. 100 channel, scanning, fully synthesized, A-band would
    easily do 2m, U band would do 70cms even though technically out of band. Finally the SRM9000 which was a 1000 channel set that was as wide as a
    barn door Tx and Rx but a superb radio.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Woody on Wed Feb 8 16:44:19 2023
    On 08/02/2023 16:06, Woody wrote:

Could not be as bad as the ART 177!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to MB@nospam.net on Wed Feb 8 20:01:22 2023
    On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 15:40:01 +0000
    MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

Even if rental is still chargeable on a 'phone supplied by the
    company, does anybody do that now, with thousands of sets easily
    available that are then owned by the user?

the time.

would wake me up immediately which the page did not always do as
    quickly.

I still have my last dial 'phone. soon it will be a useless
    antique, once the landlines disappear.
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Wed Feb 8 20:10:05 2023
    "R. Mark Clayton" <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

One could even build a crystal set from simple components or even
    from scratch (I partly did so when aged 11 using a self-wound coil
    and a galena crystal I found in nearby hills) for negligible cost.

Years ago, we had a family friend who had made himself a legitimate
    fortune by, amongst other things, buying a closing electrical shop on
    the Essex Road, in London, and with the previous manager, turning it
    around into a very successful business. One day, they had a clear-out of
    old unused stock, including a glass jar of 'Cat's Whiskers', that nobody
    had asked for for some years. Soon after that, the new craze for
    building crystal sets from scratch brought loads of customers in,
    asking if they still had any cat's whiskers. They could have made
    another fortune.
    C'est la vie.

--
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Gaff@21:1/5 to Davey on Thu Feb 9 08:53:06 2023
    Agreed, but one can understand the other names, as they have a kind of grandiose meaning, or did at the time, but unless they made an Oxford as
    well, Cambridge was an odd choice.
    Naming models of things has kind of fallen out of favour these days. I remember that Hi If used to have names, Rogers did it with amplifiers.
    The last known one to me without research was the Nakamishi Dragon cassette deck.
    Back in the day even portable radios had names, there was the Decca
    Carousel for example, though I never saw it going round and round and all
    that. There were Grundig with xxxx boy as names for the different models.

Even TVs had names. Rediffusion used Castles to name theirs. Doric probably
    the best known, and Granada had Finlandia.
    I won't go on but I do miss names, since who can remember the numbers of Samsung TVs with UB at the end.
    Amazon at least have started to reintroduce names in their Echo smart
    speaker range, but its by no means popular.

I think label engineering put a stop to it where lots of devices are the
    same inside and its only the cabinet that is different for the makers names.

Brian

--

--:
    This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
    The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
    briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    Blind user, so no pictures please
    Note this Signature is meaningless.!
    "Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message news:ts0a1g$6r3o$3@dont-email.me...
    On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:55:25 +0000
    Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

In article <ts053j$64bs$1@dont-email.me>, MB <MB@nospam.net>
    scribeth thus
    made of course.

Westminster and I don't think any were made in Westminster! Ditto
    for Pye Whitehall.

from an early age!..

set. The sets were always donated free, so they were not exactly under
    warranty. Each holiday, one of us would take the set home, and bring
    it back for the next term. I had the TV in my home bedroom once, and

There was also the set we got from an Indian family, which stank of
    curry for several days before it finally burned off the smell.
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Woody@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 08:16:56 2023
    On Wed 08/02/2023 16:44, MB wrote:
    On 08/02/2023 16:06, Woody wrote:

Could not be as bad as the ART 177!

Ever worked on a Cougar?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Max Demian@21:1/5 to Davey on Thu Feb 9 11:05:15 2023
    On 08/02/2023 20:01, Davey wrote:
    On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 15:40:01 +0000
    MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

Even if rental is still chargeable on a 'phone supplied by the
    company, does anybody do that now, with thousands of sets easily
    available that are then owned by the user?

the time.

would wake me up immediately which the page did not always do as
    quickly.

I still have my last dial 'phone. soon it will be a useless
    antique, once the landlines disappear.

Well they're not actually disappearing, they're just "going digital".
    Would a purely digital phone use DTMF (Touch-Tone)? New routers are
    supposed to have a socket for an analogue phone; if they can accept DTMF
    I don't see why they shouldn't cope with LD (pulse dialling). If not
    maybe someone will produce a converter.

--
    Max Demian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Woody on Thu Feb 9 11:33:04 2023
    On 09/02/2023 08:16, Woody wrote:
    Ever worked on a Cougar?

No, Dave Hicks had some and some programming jigs or something I think.
    Though I believe they were restricted for a long time.

Some other encrypted radios got on the market and a few people got
    visits from people in suits asking where they got them - they were very confused when told they had been sold by the MOD's main seller of
    surprlus equipment. It sounded as if they should not have been released.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Brian Gaff on Thu Feb 9 11:39:02 2023
    On 09/02/2023 08:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
    Even TVs had names. Rediffusion used Castles to name theirs. Doric probably the best known, and Granada had Finlandia.

It is surprising how often the numbers stick in the memory - I can still remember Sony 9-90UB but don't think I can remember a single other TV's
    number.

One factor with consumer goods like TV sets is that the same model would
    be supplied to different chains of shops with slightly different numbers
    and some minor part of the spec changed. To make it more difficult to
    compare between different shops and reviews in places like Which magazine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Max Demian on Thu Feb 9 11:40:21 2023
    On 09/02/2023 11:05, Max Demian wrote:

My BT Hub has a socket for POTS telephone but it is not enabled /
    configured.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to Davey on Thu Feb 9 03:58:58 2023
    On Wednesday, 8 February 2023 at 20:10:07 UTC, Davey wrote:
    "R. Mark Clayton" <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Years ago, we had a family friend who had made himself a legitimate
    fortune by, amongst other things, buying a closing electrical shop on
    the Essex Road, in London, and with the previous manager, turning it
    around into a very successful business. One day, they had a clear-out of
    old unused stock, including a glass jar of 'Cat's Whiskers', that nobody
    had asked for for some years. Soon after that, the new craze for
    building crystal sets from scratch brought loads of customers in,
    asking if they still had any cat's whiskers. They could have made
    another fortune.
    C'est la vie.

--
    Davey.

Nothing as sophisticated as that, just a bit of very thin wire IIRC.

Unfortunately the set and loads of old valves etc. got left in my parents place when they sold up over twenty years ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 04:06:31 2023
    On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 11:40:23 UTC, MB wrote:
    Well they're not actually disappearing, they're just "going digital". Would a purely digital phone use DTMF (Touch-Tone)? New routers are supposed to have a socket for an analogue phone; if they can accept DTMF
    My BT Hub has a socket for POTS telephone but it is not enabled / configured.

Business hubs have disabled socket, residential ones have an enabled socket and you can get a little plug in module for extensions. They do DTMF OK, not tried loop disconnect. I have got an LD phone, but it was last used ~1994, when our exchange went
    from Strowger to System X.

I also had a 1982 https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co499861/telephone-handset-two-tone-blue-sceptre-100-made-by-denis-ferranti-meters-ltd-for-british-telecom-telephone-handset
    in beige, which was LD despite being push button, but it stopped working almost as soon as the warranty ran out.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to Brian Gaff on Thu Feb 9 13:06:26 2023

unless they made an Oxford as well, Cambridge was an odd choice.

ISTR that the Austin Cambridge and Morris Oxford models were the
    up-market versions of Austin Morris cars, but were pretty much identical
    except for their name plates?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 13:17:04 2023
    On 08/02/2023 09:58 am, NY wrote:
    "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:trvqei$4d1v$1@dont-email.me...
    We had a TV in 1953, a back projection one. Its one of my first
    memories at 3 years old. The coronation and the horse racing later on
    in the afternoons that my old gran used to use to teach me English.
    Going back to radios though. The dials normally had labels like
    Hilversham and Athlone etc on it rather than frequencies as now. The
    loudspeakers on some used electromagnets, and doubled as a choke in
    the ht line, so always seemed to have a low level buzz. Of course many
    were AC and DC, u just using a big dropper resistor in the back and
    one small  the thing to keep the heaters from going too brightly. As
    many valves were in series you tended to get some issues where on
    heater stopped and nothing worked at all. Even TVs used to do this
    using auto transformers when we finally went completely Ac. Thus
    working on any such sets meant working with a chassis often at mains
    potential. Risky.

I remember when one of the knobs on our first colour TV fell off, my
    grandpa yelled "DON'T TOUCH THE TV", because he remembered the days of
    older TVs which had live chassis, hence the plastic knobs to insulate
    the user from the metal shank of the pot.

I always wondered: how did they prevent the screen of the TV aerial
    socket from being live? You could have a completely insulated TV with no exposed (live) metalwork, but you still needed an aerial socket. Did
    they rely on the aerial plug on the cable being insulated with a
    moulded-on skin of rubber?

TV antenna co-ax plugs were milled or extruded from aluminium back in
    the 1950s.

I can't remember ready-made leads (M - M) until the 1970s, especially
    not in that attractive off-white colour for cable and plug sheath.

I expect that extensions were available (M - F), but most people had no
    use for them until the advent of the video recorder.

Reminds me of my TV from about 2000 which seemed to be putting out about
    100 V AC on the aerial screen via a high resistance. I noticed it when I
    went to unplug the aerial plug from another device (a DVB tuner in my
    earthed PC *) and got a noticeable tingle which was about 80 V across a human-being sized resistance (I didn't want to use my body when I was repeating the experience for testing!). After that I ran an earthing
    wire from a mains plug to the aerial plug, so all appliances connected
    to the TV would be earthed (at one point only - don't want earth
    loops!). Identifying the culprit took a while: there was the aerial
    amplifier PSU, the VCR (connected by aerial and SCART), the hifi
    (connected by audio lead to the VCR). Of all the possible devices, it
    was inevitably the TV which was the last that I tested ;-)

I've noticed that the metal case of my laptop tingles slightly if I run
    my finger over it while the laptop is plugged into its charger, so I
    imagine there is a similar thing: a moderately high voltage via a very
    high safety resistor. And that's with a 3-pin IEC mains socket in the
    charger so in theory the charger might be earthed (though I bet it's not).

(*) The TV aerial was earthed while it was connected to the tuner in the earthed PC. I put one hand on the PC case to stop it moving as I pulled
    out the aerial plug with the other hand. As soon as the aerial plug
    broke contact, it was no longer earthed and I got the 80 V AC across my chest. Not dangerous but decidedly unpleasant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Thu Feb 9 13:21:17 2023
    On 08/02/2023 12:44 pm, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

it took for a similar proportion of houses to have a TV? Maybe a certain

A valve radio is a relatively simple device and these quickly became available following the advent of broadcasting in the 1920's. By 1930 they were $35 (~=£7 at the time) or a couple of weeks' wages. There was also quite quickly a lot of content
    with UK listeners able to tune into stations across much of Europe including radio Luxembourg from 1933.

One could even build a crystal set from simple components or even from scratch (I partly did so when aged 11 using a self-wound coil and a galena crystal I found in nearby hills) for negligible cost.

OTOH TV was introduced in 1936. The first sets retailed for £1,000 (probably a couple of years' average wages), there was only the BBC on a limited schedule and initially only in London. WWII meant TV was off for seven years and electronics
    production diverted for military purposes. Broadcasts resumed after the war, but resources were diverted into reconstruction and having [delayed] families. The UK missed the boat on colour TV by 14 years and there was no competition until 1955. Whilst
    there was a big boost for TV sales caused by QEII's coronation, mass market uptake was slow, impeded by all the above plus extortionate 100% purchase tax. Nevertheless my parents had a TV before 1960, probably on HP.

I remember that we had one - rented - before the start of ITV. It wasn't
    even ITV-ready.

I am aware of the eventual location of "Watch With Mother" strands, but
    what ever happened to Muffin the Mule and Hank the Cowboy?

Phones were different matter, the GPO controlled that, installation was costly and there was (still is) rental to pay, anything but local calls were eye wateringly expensive. Subscribers could wait years for a line to be available with almost soviet
    style delays. Party lines were common and often obligatory, although unlike the USA only two would ever share a line [pair]. In the sticks many exchanges were still manual and only staffed part time. Things only really started improving when telephony
    was [gradually] opened to competition from the early 1980's - only then could you even get anything but a standard phone.

Having a domestic phone line installed in 1969 was £35.

£35 was about a fortnight's net wages for a skilled tradesman.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to R. Mark Clayton on Thu Feb 9 13:25:27 2023
    On 09/02/2023 12:06, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    Business hubs have disabled socket, residential ones have an enabled socket and you can get a little plug in module for extensions. They do DTMF OK, not tried loop disconnect. I have got an LD phone, but it was last used ~1994, when our exchange went
    from Strowger to System X.

Mine is a residential Hub and nothing happens when you plug a POTS phone
    into the socket.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Java Jive@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 13:17:38 2023
    On 09/02/2023 11:39, MB wrote:

It is surprising how often the numbers stick in the memory - I can still remember Sony 9-90UB but don't think I can remember a single other TV's number.

I don't find that at all, even with cars, let alone tvs or radios. Cars
    used to have memorable names until the early personal computer era, when
    CPU names like 286, 386 became associated with expensive domestic
    products, and suddenly everyone was designating car models by numbers
    instead of names, which ironically seemed to happen just about the time
    that chip makers started to give their CPUs names like Pentium! The
    names were memorable, the numbers not. Possibly I could outline some of
    the differences between a Volvo 120 series and a 240 series, because I
    owned and reconditioned one of the former, and they were similar under
    the bonnet, but that blizzard of Peugeot models in the form x0y? Not a
    chance!

One factor with consumer goods like TV sets is that the same model would
    be supplied to different chains of shops with slightly different numbers
    and some minor part of the spec changed.  To make it more difficult to compare between different shops and reviews in places like Which magazine.

Yes, the usual tricks of the trade.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Davey on Thu Feb 9 13:26:14 2023
    On 08/02/2023 01:55 pm, Davey wrote:

[ ... ]

We had a rented TV set catch fire once, in the flat over a pub my
    parents managed. Luckily, we had various fire extinguishers ready for
    use after disconnecting the 5A three-pin plug from its socket. One of
    the curtains was damaged, but we got to it in time.

We were fortunate that there was someone in the room at the time. Late
    on a Saturday night, there was a lot of movement around the building,
    but no guarantee that anyone would be in the living room.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MB@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Thu Feb 9 13:26:23 2023
    On 09/02/2023 13:06, Java Jive wrote:
    up-market versions of Austin Morris cars, but were pretty much identical except for their name plates?

That was the case with many Austin / Morris models.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Thu Feb 9 13:29:38 2023
    On 09/02/2023 01:06 pm, Java Jive wrote:

up-market versions of Austin Morris cars, but were pretty much identical except for their name plates?

One of them - the Austin, IIRC - had two front seats (all leather) while
    the other had a front bench seat and column change. Or optional auto.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Thu Feb 9 13:38:47 2023
    In article <ts2r4l$m6po$1@dont-email.me>,
    Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

Different bonnet shapes

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to charles on Thu Feb 9 14:00:56 2023
    On 09/02/2023 13:38, charles wrote:

Different bonnet shapes

Were they? Are you talking about the A60 Pinifarina Cambridge and
    Oxford? I thought they were pretty well identical at front and back
    (apart from trim), and that the Wolseley equivalent was the odd one out
    with slightly sharper fins and more pointed rear light clusters (maybe a carry-over from the slightly different A55 predecessor).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Morris_Oxford_1964_1.JPG/420px-Morris_Oxford_1964_1.JPG

and

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Austin_A60_Cambridge_%281966%29_-_9700712146.jpg/420px-Austin_A60_Cambridge_%281966%29_-_9700712146.jpg

look the same apart from the trim.@

Was the Austin or the Morris regard as the higher-spec of the two? I
    remember my grandpa always bought Wolseleys because they were more
    prestigious than "mere" Austin or Morris, but whether he would have had
    any opinions as to which of Austin and Morris was less prestigious than
    the other is another matter ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ian Jackson@21:1/5 to me@privacy.net on Thu Feb 9 14:09:23 2023
    In message <87ycnVtLM4wFYXn-nZ2dnZfqn_QAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>, NY <me@privacy.net> writes

up-market versions of Austin Morris cars, but were pretty much identical >>> except for their name plates?
    Different bonnet shapes

with slightly sharper fins and more pointed rear light clusters (maybe
    a carry-over from the slightly different A55 predecessor).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Morris_Oxford_ >1964_1.JPG/420px-Morris_Oxford_1964_1.JPG

and

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Austin_A60_Cam >bridge_%281966%29_-_9700712146.jpg/420px-Austin_A60_Cambridge_%281966%29 >_-_9700712146.jpg

remember my grandpa always bought Wolseleys because they were more >prestigious than "mere" Austin or Morris, but whether he would have had

Wasn't the ultimate the Vanden Plas?
    --
    Ian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Max Demian@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 16:57:10 2023
    On 09/02/2023 13:26, MB wrote:

Weren't there posho Wolseley models with walnut dashboards?

And then there was the Austin version of the Morris Mini Minor which was
    called the Austin Seven until "mini" became a "thing" [1] like mini skirts.

[1] When did calling a trend a "thing" become a "thing"?

--
    Max Demian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Woody@21:1/5 to Ian Jackson on Thu Feb 9 16:28:20 2023
    On Thu 09/02/2023 14:09, Ian Jackson wrote:
    In message <87ycnVtLM4wFYXn-nZ2dnZfqn_QAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>, NY <me@privacy.net> writes

up-market versions of Austin Morris cars, but were pretty much
    identical
     Different bonnet shapes

(apart from trim), and that the Wolseley equivalent was the odd one
    out with slightly sharper fins and more pointed rear light clusters
    (maybe a carry-over from the slightly different A55 predecessor).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Morris_Oxford_
    1964_1.JPG/420px-Morris_Oxford_1964_1.JPG

and

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Austin_A60_Cam
    bridge_%281966%29_-_9700712146.jpg/420px-Austin_A60_Cambridge_%281966%29
    _-_9700712146.jpg

prestigious than "mere" Austin or Morris, but whether he would have
    had any opinions as to which of Austin and Morris was less prestigious
    than the other is another matter ;-)

And the 'sporty' version, the Riley?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Max Demian@21:1/5 to Java Jive on Thu Feb 9 16:52:27 2023
    On 09/02/2023 13:17, Java Jive wrote:
    On 09/02/2023 11:39, MB wrote:

It is surprising how often the numbers stick in the memory - I can
    still remember Sony 9-90UB but don't think I can remember a single
    other TV's number.

I don't find that at all, even with cars, let alone tvs or radios.  Cars used to have memorable names until the early personal computer era, when
    CPU names like 286, 386 became associated with expensive domestic
    products, and suddenly everyone was designating car models by numbers
    instead of names, which ironically seemed to happen just about the time
    that chip makers started to give their CPUs names like Pentium!

An English judge decided that trade names can't be just numbers, or the
    Pentium would have been the 80586.

--
    Max Demian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Woody@21:1/5 to JNugent on Thu Feb 9 20:25:41 2023
    On Thu 09/02/2023 13:21, JNugent wrote:

"Half the homes in the country had a radio set" (*) is quite high, given >>> that BBC was only founded 8 years earlier than 1930. I wonder how long
    it took for a similar proportion of houses to have a TV? Maybe a certain >>> event in 1953 would have skewed the result ;-)

A valve radio is a relatively simple device and these quickly became
    available following the advent of broadcasting in the 1920's.  By 1930
    they were $35 (~=£7 at the time) or a couple of weeks' wages.  There
    was also quite quickly a lot of content with UK listeners able to tune
    into stations across much of Europe including radio Luxembourg from 1933.

One could even build a crystal set from simple components or even from
    scratch (I partly did so when aged 11 using a self-wound coil and a
    galena crystal I found in nearby hills) for negligible cost.

OTOH TV was introduced in 1936.  The first sets retailed for £1,000
    (probably a couple of years' average wages), there was only the BBC on
    a limited schedule and initially only in London.  WWII meant TV was
    off for seven years and electronics production diverted for military
    purposes.  Broadcasts resumed after the war, but resources were
    diverted into reconstruction and having [delayed] families.  The UK
    missed the boat on colour TV by 14 years and there was no competition
    until 1955.  Whilst there was a big boost for TV sales caused by
    QEII's coronation, mass market uptake was slow, impeded by all the
    above plus extortionate 100% purchase tax.  Nevertheless my parents
    had a TV before 1960, probably on HP.

I remember that we had one - rented - before the start of ITV. It wasn't
    even ITV-ready.

I am aware of the eventual location of "Watch With Mother" strands, but
    what ever happened to Muffin the Mule and Hank the Cowboy?

Who remembers Four Feather Falls?

was costly and there was (still is) rental to pay, anything but local
    calls were eye wateringly expensive.  Subscribers could wait years for
    a line to be available with almost soviet style delays. Party lines
    were common and often obligatory, although unlike the USA only two
    would ever share a line [pair].  In the sticks many exchanges were
    still manual and only staffed part time.  Things only really started
    improving when telephony was [gradually] opened to competition from
    the early 1980's - only then could you even get anything but a
    standard phone.

It is arguable that the arrival of Mercury (remember the Blue Button?)
    was the thing that made BT open their eyes to DTMF. Until then plus
    someone in (Reading?) threatening/taking legal action against BT because
    they would not permit DTMF even though their kit could use it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 21:10:18 2023
    On 09/02/2023 02:00 pm, NY wrote:

up-market versions of Austin Morris cars, but were pretty much identical >>> except for their name plates?

Different bonnet shapes

Oxford?

The shape started with the A55. The A60 had more streamlined fins (maybe
    a couple of other small amendments to the shape) and an uprated B-series engine. But yes, it was very similar to the Farina-designed A55.

I thought they were pretty well identical at front and back
    with slightly sharper fins and more pointed rear light clusters (maybe a carry-over from the slightly different A55 predecessor).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Morris_Oxford_1964_1.JPG/420px-Morris_Oxford_1964_1.JPG

and

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Austin_A60_Cambridge_%281966%29_-_9700712146.jpg/420px-Austin_A60_Cambridge_%281966%29_-_9700712146.jpg

remember my grandpa always bought Wolseleys because they were more prestigious than "mere" Austin or Morris, but whether he would have had

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to Woody on Thu Feb 9 21:03:12 2023
    On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 16:28:20 +0000
    Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

On Thu 09/02/2023 14:09, Ian Jackson wrote:

unless they made an Oxford as well, Cambridge was an odd
    choice.

identical
     Different bonnet shapes

Oxford? I thought they were pretty well identical at front and
    back (apart from trim), and that the Wolseley equivalent was the
    odd one out with slightly sharper fins and more pointed rear light
    clusters (maybe a carry-over from the slightly different A55
    predecessor).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Morris_Oxford_ >> 1964_1.JPG/420px-Morris_Oxford_1964_1.JPG

and

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Austin_A60_Cam >> bridge_%281966%29_-_9700712146.jpg/420px-Austin_A60_Cambridge_%281966%29 >> _-_9700712146.jpg

Was the Austin or the Morris regard as the higher-spec of the two?
    I remember my grandpa always bought Wolseleys because they were
    more prestigious than "mere" Austin or Morris, but whether he
    would have had any opinions as to which of Austin and Morris was
    less prestigious than the other is another matter ;-)

And the 'sporty' version, the Riley?

There was the Wolseley 1500, a 'luxury' saloon with a single carb. B
    Series engine, and the Riley 1.5, which had the same body and engine but
    with twin carbs.
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to Woody on Thu Feb 9 21:07:57 2023
    On 09/02/2023 08:25 pm, Woody wrote:
    On Thu 09/02/2023 13:21, JNugent wrote:

"Half the homes in the country had a radio set" (*) is quite high,
    given
    that BBC was only founded 8 years earlier than 1930. I wonder how long >>>> it took for a similar proportion of houses to have a TV? Maybe a
    certain

A valve radio is a relatively simple device and these quickly became
    available following the advent of broadcasting in the 1920's.  By
    1930 they were $35 (~=£7 at the time) or a couple of weeks' wages.
    There was also quite quickly a lot of content with UK listeners able
    to tune into stations across much of Europe including radio
    Luxembourg from 1933.

OTOH TV was introduced in 1936.  The first sets retailed for £1,000
    (probably a couple of years' average wages), there was only the BBC
    on a limited schedule and initially only in London.  WWII meant TV
    was off for seven years and electronics production diverted for
    military purposes.  Broadcasts resumed after the war, but resources
    were diverted into reconstruction and having [delayed] families.  The
    UK missed the boat on colour TV by 14 years and there was no
    competition until 1955.  Whilst there was a big boost for TV sales
    caused by QEII's coronation, mass market uptake was slow, impeded by
    all the above plus extortionate 100% purchase tax.  Nevertheless my
    parents had a TV before 1960, probably on HP.

I remember that we had one - rented - before the start of ITV. It
    wasn't even ITV-ready.

I am aware of the eventual location of "Watch With Mother" strands,
    but what ever happened to Muffin the Mule and Hank the Cowboy?

Who remembers Four Feather Falls?

I'm fairly sure that I could lay hands on the DVD box set. It was a lot
    latter than the two I mentioned (and exists in its entirety).

was costly and there was (still is) rental to pay, anything but local
    calls were eye wateringly expensive.  Subscribers could wait years
    for a line to be available with almost soviet style delays. Party
    lines were common and often obligatory, although unlike the USA only
    two would ever share a line [pair].  In the sticks many exchanges
    were still manual and only staffed part time.  Things only really
    started improving when telephony was [gradually] opened to
    competition from the early 1980's - only then could you even get
    anything but a standard phone.

was the thing that made BT open their eyes to DTMF. Until then plus
    someone in (Reading?) threatening/taking legal action against BT because
    they would not permit DTMF even though their kit could use it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Woody@21:1/5 to JNugent on Thu Feb 9 21:35:34 2023
    On Thu 09/02/2023 21:10, JNugent wrote:

identical

Different bonnet shapes

Were they? Are you talking about the A60 Pinifarina Cambridge and Oxford?

The shape started with the A55. The A60 had more streamlined fins (maybe
    a couple of other small amendments to the shape) and an uprated B-series engine. But yes, it was very similar to the Farina-designed A55.

I thought they were pretty well identical at front and back (apart
    from trim), and that the Wolseley equivalent was the odd one out with
    slightly sharper fins and more pointed rear light clusters (maybe a
    carry-over from the slightly different A55 predecessor).

and

The Morris was the Oxford, originally 1489(?)cc and then uprated to 1622cc.
    The Wolseley equivalent were the 15/60 and the 16/60 - I know as I
    learned to driver my father's 16/60 and I passed first time 22 Feb 1968!
    The Riley version of the 16/60 was the 4/72 - I have a recollection it
    got the extra poke from having twin SU carbs?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to Woody on Thu Feb 9 22:33:42 2023
    On 09/02/2023 21:35, Woody wrote:

had any opinions as to which of Austin and Morris was less
    prestigious than the other is another matter ;-)

The Morris was the Oxford, originally 1489(?)cc and then uprated to 1622cc. The Wolseley equivalent were the 15/60 and the 16/60 - I know as I

I could vaguely remember the different naming conventions "15/60" or
    "16/60" for Wolseley, "4/72" for Riley. MG version used the name
    "Magnette" IIRC.

The only obvious difference that I was aware of between Austin Cambridge
    and Morris Oxford of the A60 (apart from trim/grilles) was the one had a
    ribbon speedo combined with small oil and fuel gauges, whereas the other
    had conventional circular gauges - but I wouldn't have a clue which was
    which. Likewise for Austin/Morris 1100/1300.

But did the various badge-engineered variants use different body panels,
    such as different bonnets, as someone up-thread said?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 01:25:46 2023
    On 09/02/2023 10:33 pm, NY wrote:

The Morris was the Oxford, originally 1489(?)cc and then uprated to
    1622cc.

"Magnette" IIRC.

and Morris Oxford of the A60 (apart from trim/grilles) was the one had a ribbon speedo combined with small oil and fuel gauges, whereas the other
    had conventional circular gauges - but I wouldn't have a clue which was which. Likewise for Austin/Morris 1100/1300.

I had an Austin Cambridge when I first learned to drive. It had
    conventional round gauges.

Pass.

The Wolseley and Riley, I'm sure, had very distinctive front grilles.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 08:08:18 2023
    In article <ts3ov5$plur$1@dont-email.me>, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    On Thu 09/02/2023 21:10, JNugent wrote:
    In article <ts2r4l$m6po$1@dont-email.me>, Java Jive
    <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

identical except for their name plates?

Different bonnet shapes

Oxford?

The shape started with the A55. The A60 had more streamlined fins
    (maybe a couple of other small amendments to the shape) and an uprated B-series engine. But yes, it was very similar to the Farina-designed
    A55.

I thought they were pretty well identical at front and back (apart
    from trim), and that the Wolseley equivalent was the odd one out with
    slightly sharper fins and more pointed rear light clusters (maybe a
    carry-over from the slightly different A55 predecessor).

and

1622cc. The Wolseley equivalent were the 15/60 and the 16/60 - I know as
    I learned to driver my father's 16/60 and I passed first time 22 Feb
    1968! The Riley version of the 16/60 was the 4/72 - I have a recollection
    it got the extra poke from having twin SU carbs?

My father had a Wolseley 4/44.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Armstrong@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 09:14:22 2023
    On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 01:25:46 +0000, JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com>
    wrote:

Was the Austin or the Morris regard as the higher-spec of the two? I >>>>> remember my grandpa always bought Wolseleys because they were more

1622cc.
    learned to driver my father's 16/60 and I passed first time 22 Feb 1968! >>> The Riley version of the 16/60 was the 4/72 - I have a recollection it

"Magnette" IIRC.

and Morris Oxford of the A60 (apart from trim/grilles) was the one had a
    ribbon speedo combined with small oil and fuel gauges, whereas the other
    had conventional circular gauges - but I wouldn't have a clue which was

Pass.

They did. Wolseley had a badge at the top of the grille, which lit up
    with the sidelights.

On a related note, my first car was a Singer Chamois, which was a
    Hillman Imp by any other name, with the walnut dash mentioned
    upthread. Unfortunately it had the same propensity to blow cylinder
    head gaskets.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davey@21:1/5 to John Armstrong on Fri Feb 10 09:19:38 2023
    On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:14:22 +0000
    John Armstrong <jja@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

wrote:

Was the Austin or the Morris regard as the higher-spec of the
    two? I remember my grandpa always bought Wolseleys because they
    were more prestigious than "mere" Austin or Morris, but whether
    he would have had any opinions as to which of Austin and Morris
    was less prestigious than the other is another matter ;-)

The Morris was the Oxford, originally 1489(?)cc and then uprated
    to 1622cc.
    The Wolseley equivalent were the 15/60 and the 16/60 - I know as
    I learned to driver my father's 16/60 and I passed first time 22
    Feb 1968! The Riley version of the 16/60 was the 4/72 - I have a
    recollection it got the extra poke from having twin SU carbs?

I could vaguely remember the different naming conventions "15/60"
    or "16/60" for Wolseley, "4/72" for Riley. MG version used the
    name "Magnette" IIRC.

The only obvious difference that I was aware of between Austin
    Cambridge and Morris Oxford of the A60 (apart from trim/grilles)
    was the one had a ribbon speedo combined with small oil and fuel
    gauges, whereas the other had conventional circular gauges - but I
    wouldn't have a clue which was which. Likewise for Austin/Morris
    1100/1300.

I had an Austin Cambridge when I first learned to drive. It had >conventional round gauges.

But did the various badge-engineered variants use different body
    panels, such as different bonnets, as someone up-thread said?

Pass.

The Wolseley and Riley, I'm sure, had very distinctive front
    grilles.

with the sidelights.

head gaskets.

Our Chamois Sport never did that. But it did suffer from vapour lock on
    warm days, so you would go shopping and couldn't start the engine to go
    back home. It was really fun to drive, the engine easily going up to
    7,500 rpm. Maybe a bit more sometimes...
    --
    Davey.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to charles on Fri Feb 10 09:52:32 2023
    "charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message news:5a746fa1e7charles@candehope.me.uk...

Did it come equipped with the "POLICE" signs on the side, the blue light and the bell on the front bumper? ;-)

How were the Wolseley and Riley model names parsed? For Wolseley 15/60 and 16/60, I presume the 15 or 16 was the engine size 1.5 or 1.6 litre, but what was the significance of the second number? I could have understood it if the names had been 15/55 and 16/60 (different engine sizes and based on A55 or
    A60 body).

Don't you just love badge engineering ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 06:00:56 2023
    On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 13:26:25 UTC, MB wrote:

IIRC there was a pecking order: -

Austin
    Morris
    MG
    Wolseley
    Riley
    Vanden Plas

Each one offering a slightly higher spec'. The MG usually had better performance.

Not every model had every grade, but mini, 11/1300, Morris Oxford, Westminster and some others were all badge engineered to some extent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to John Armstrong on Fri Feb 10 16:59:47 2023
    On 10/02/2023 09:14 am, John Armstrong wrote:
    wrote:

Was the Austin or the Morris regard as the higher-spec of the two? I >>>>>> remember my grandpa always bought Wolseleys because they were more >>>>>> prestigious than "mere" Austin or Morris, but whether he would have >>>>>> had any opinions as to which of Austin and Morris was less

1622cc.
    learned to driver my father's 16/60 and I passed first time 22 Feb 1968! >>>> The Riley version of the 16/60 was the 4/72 - I have a recollection it >>>> got the extra poke from having twin SU carbs?

"Magnette" IIRC.

The only obvious difference that I was aware of between Austin Cambridge >>> and Morris Oxford of the A60 (apart from trim/grilles) was the one had a >>> ribbon speedo combined with small oil and fuel gauges, whereas the other >>> had conventional circular gauges - but I wouldn't have a clue which was

But did the various badge-engineered variants use different body panels, >>> such as different bonnets, as someone up-thread said?

Pass.

with the sidelights.

head gaskets.

:-(

I too had an Imp (the common or garden variety).

For a little while, at least.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charles@21:1/5 to me@privacy.invalid on Fri Feb 10 15:39:47 2023
    In article <ts545b$10qcs$2@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
    "charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message news:5a746fa1e7charles@candehope.me.uk...

Did it come equipped with the "POLICE" signs on the side, the blue light
    and the bell on the front bumper? ;-)

No. I don't think the Police used this smaller model, anyway.

How were the Wolseley and Riley model names parsed? For Wolseley 15/60
    and 16/60, I presume the 15 or 16 was the engine size 1.5 or 1.6 litre,
    but what was the significance of the second number? I could have
    understood it if the names had been 15/55 and 16/60 (different engine
    sizes and based on A55 or A60 body).

I think it was BHP

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Woody@21:1/5 to charles on Fri Feb 10 21:15:59 2023
    On Fri 10/02/2023 15:39, charles wrote:
    In article <ts545b$10qcs$2@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
    "charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message
    news:5a746fa1e7charles@candehope.me.uk...

Did it come equipped with the "POLICE" signs on the side, the blue light
    and the bell on the front bumper? ;-)

No. I don't think the Police used this smaller model, anyway.

How were the Wolseley and Riley model names parsed? For Wolseley 15/60
    and 16/60, I presume the 15 or 16 was the engine size 1.5 or 1.6 litre,
    but what was the significance of the second number? I could have
    understood it if the names had been 15/55 and 16/60 (different engine
    sizes and based on A55 or A60 body).

I think it was BHP

They didn't use BHP in those days (we are talking 1962 onwards) so I
    would suggest it was 15HP or 16HP.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vir Campestris@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 12 21:03:47 2023
    On 09/02/2023 11:40, MB wrote:

configured.

When we went to fibre I was surprised to find that despite the POTS
    socket their 'phone solution was a DECT 'phone. Which meant our
    answering machine was no longer any use.

Shot themselves in the foot really; we decided that we didn't really
    need it, and just use our mobiles. The mobiles talk Wi-Fi when we're at
    home and there's no mobile signal.

Andy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roderick Stewart@21:1/5 to vir.campestris@invalid.invalid on Mon Feb 13 09:06:12 2023
    On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:03:47 +0000, Vir Campestris <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote:

configured.

When we went to fibre I was surprised to find that despite the POTS
    socket their 'phone solution was a DECT 'phone. Which meant our
    answering machine was no longer any use.

I helped to set up another family installation when it was converted
    to BT fibre, and the existing phone worked exactly as before when it
    was plugged into the socket on the back of the router. No setting up
    was needed.

Also supplied with the kit were two DECT phones intended to work with
    the router, though we waited a few days before setting them up. I
    can't remember exactly what I did but it involved changing a setting
    in the router. I don't think this disabled the POTS socket, so it was
    possible for both old and new phones to work simultaneously.

There didn't seem to be an easy way to transfer the stored numbers
    from the old one other than by entering them one by one into the new
    phones, and that was the most complicated part of the whole procedure. Everything else went without a hitch.

Rod.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Ratcliffe@21:1/5 to Woody on Mon Feb 20 20:24:43 2023
    On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 20:25:41 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

I can still remember the damned 6+4 digit code that you used to have
    to enter after dialling 131 and waiting for the secondary tone (well
    it still played it in DTMF form when you'd put it in a memory).
    I haven't thought about that for a considerable number of years, until
    now. :-(

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R. Mark Clayton@21:1/5 to Paul Ratcliffe on Wed Feb 22 08:58:12 2023
    On Monday, 20 February 2023 at 21:01:06 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 20:25:41 +0000, Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

System X exchanges and some others had DTMF from installation, but if your local exchange was Strowger (as my home phone on 0161 434 was) it didn't get replaced until ~1994, and it only understood loop disconnect.

I can still remember the damned 6+4 digit code that you used to have
    to enter after dialling 131 and waiting for the secondary tone (well
    it still played it in DTMF form when you'd put it in a memory).
    I haven't thought about that for a considerable number of years, until
    now. :-(

I had Mercury pretty much from introduction in the 80's, and used a DTMF dialler until I could remember the code(s). I also had accounts in Manchester, Reading and London until they starting charging for them. Another unadvertised advantage was that
    the codes would work well outside the home area in places that were normally rate b trunk calls.

The best entrant was PO Telephone ~1999, with no connection charge and very cheap prepay calls including abroad. Sadly after a few years the PO changed to post pay, connection charge and quadrupled some call costs whilst claiming a cut. It took six
    months to get my balance refunded. Quite apart from what at best can be described as disingenuity the PO messed it up and quit the market in ~2021.
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/important-news

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05