• Pebble Mill at One: balancing the studio lights to the daylight seen th

From NY@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 14 21:46:40 2022
    The other day I saw an excerpt from Pebble Mill at One, which used to be broadcast from the foyer of the BBC Birmingham Pebble Mill studio. It
    reminded me of something I'd always wondered.

How did they balance the intensity of the studio lighting to the various different intensities and colours of daylight seen through the windows,
    ranging from brighter, warmer sunlight on some days to dimmer, cooler
    overcast on others?

Did they have coloured (amber) gels over the windows to prevent daylight looking too blue on cameras that were balanced for tungsten light, or
    did they have blue gels over the lights and balance everything for
    daylight? I presume there was also neutral density to reduce the
    brightness of outside to the level of lighting in the studio. But both
    colour and amount of ND would need to vary depending on what the weather
    was like outside.

What is the convention nowadays for location filming where the world
    outside a room can be seen through the windows? Do they generally use
    amber gels on the windows or blue gels on the lights? Are modern-day
    studio lights generally more the colour of sunlight rather than the
    warmer light of the older tungsten lights?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dickie mint@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 09:51:37 2022
    On 14/04/2022 21:46, NY wrote:
    The other day I saw an excerpt from Pebble Mill at One, which used to be broadcast from the foyer of the BBC Birmingham Pebble Mill studio. It reminded me of something I'd always wondered.

How did they balance the intensity of the studio lighting to the various different intensities and colours of daylight seen through the windows, ranging from brighter, warmer sunlight on some days to dimmer, cooler overcast on others?

Did they have coloured (amber) gels over the windows to prevent daylight looking too blue on cameras that were balanced for tungsten light, or
    did they have blue gels over the lights and balance everything for
    daylight? I presume there was also neutral density to reduce the
    brightness of outside to the level of lighting in the studio. But both
    colour and amount of ND would need to vary depending on what the weather
    was like outside.

What is the convention nowadays for location filming where the world
    outside a room can be seen through the windows? Do they generally use
    amber gels on the windows or blue gels on the lights? Are modern-day
    studio lights generally more the colour of sunlight rather than the
    I've posted this in a Pebble Mill closed facebook group.

So far no Lighting TM (Technical Manager) has replied but comments from
    Racks engineers suggest they wind up the camera settings to suit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NY@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 11:09:25 2022
    "James French" <jameskfrench@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c6babc97-158e-4a96-89ec-24700a5d2948n@googlegroups.com...
    I worked on the show for many years as a cameraman. Ron Irvine was one of many TMs on the show.

All the lighting was HMI, and so was daylight-balanced.

The only coating on the windows was there to protect people if the glass shattered. No colouring or NDs were used.

A close eye was kept on the weather and there were enough HMIs permanently rigged to cope with the worst-case scenario (brilliant sunshine outside). During the 30 mins of line-up before the show’s transmission at 13:00, the sparks would be up ladders, adding or removing ND gels from the lamps, as necessary.

Of course, the TMs couldn’t always win, especially if the sun was going in and out during the programme, as the HMIs were not dimmable in those days.
    In which case, the racks engineers earned their money, trying to minimise
    the contrast problems.

I think everyone did a pretty good job most of the time, as your posting testifies.

They did a pretty fantastic job. I hadn't realised that the "studio" was lit
    as brightly as the outside: I'd assumed a permanent ND filter film on the windows to bring the outside down to normal studio lighting level, even if lighting was then adjusted to match variations in the day's daylight. How
    much more brightly was the foyer lit compared with normal (tungsten) studio lighting levels? I believe that some early TV cameras needed lighting that
    was roughly as bright as an overcast day outdoors, but that later cameras
    could produce good pictures in less bright conditions. I imagine that HMIs produce a lot less heat than tungsten ;-)

I bet if the programme was made nowadays, they'd sit the interviewees behind blue/green screens and "fake it" by overlaying a picture from outside ;-)

I wonder what logistical problems were caused for the rest of Pebble Mill
    when the foyer was out of bounds every lunchtime. I imagine there was a back route and an alternative visitors' reception desk that was off-camera.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James French@21:1/5 to Dickie Mint on Fri Apr 22 02:30:42 2022
    I worked on the show for many years as a cameraman. Ron Irvine was one of many TMs on the show.

The only coating on the windows was there to protect people if the glass shattered. No colouring or NDs were used.

A close eye was kept on the weather and there were enough HMIs permanently rigged to cope with the worst-case scenario (brilliant sunshine outside). During the 30 mins of line-up before the show’s transmission at 13:00, the sparks would be up ladders,
    adding or removing ND gels from the lamps, as necessary.

Of course, the TMs couldn’t always win, especially if the sun was going in and out during the programme, as the HMIs were not dimmable in those days. In which case, the racks engineers earned their money, trying to minimise the contrast problems.

I think everyone did a pretty good job most of the time, as your posting testifies.

James French
    Lighting Cameraman

On Friday, 22 April 2022 at 09:51:40 UTC+1, Dickie Mint wrote:
    On 14/04/2022 21:46, NY wrote:
    The other day I saw an excerpt from Pebble Mill at One, which used to be broadcast from the foyer of the BBC Birmingham Pebble Mill studio. It reminded me of something I'd always wondered.

How did they balance the intensity of the studio lighting to the various different intensities and colours of daylight seen through the windows, ranging from brighter, warmer sunlight on some days to dimmer, cooler overcast on others?

did they have blue gels over the lights and balance everything for daylight? I presume there was also neutral density to reduce the brightness of outside to the level of lighting in the studio. But both colour and amount of ND would need to vary depending on what the weather was like outside.

What is the convention nowadays for location filming where the world outside a room can be seen through the windows? Do they generally use amber gels on the windows or blue gels on the lights? Are modern-day studio lights generally more the colour of sunlight rather than the
    I've posted this in a Pebble Mill closed facebook group.

So far no Lighting TM (Technical Manager) has replied but comments from Racks engineers suggest they wind up the camera settings to suit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Carver@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 11:17:55 2022
    On 22/04/2022 11:09, NY wrote:

I bet if the programme was made nowadays, they'd sit the interviewees
    behind blue/green screens and "fake it" by overlaying a picture from
    outside ;-)

Well, there are hi tech solutions these days (or even 10 years ago)

https://www.smartglassinternational.com/news/smartglass-shines-on-itv-daybreak/

I wonder what logistical problems were caused for the rest of Pebble
    Mill when the foyer was out of bounds every lunchtime. I imagine there
    was a back route and an alternative visitors' reception desk that was off-camera.
     Yes, there was. I went there in the  80s for a  job interview, which
    was at lunchtime   Had to use a side door.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James French@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 03:28:23 2022
    For many years, there was another show running in the same 'studio' called Saturday Night at the Mill, which was broadcast after dark. It would have been impractical to add and remove ND/scrim from the windows.

In those days the cameras were fairly insensitive anyway, so the studios (where we made All Creatures Great & Small, Howard's Way etc etc) were lit with dual-source 5K lamps. However, of course, it was even brighter in the foyer. I can't give you exact
    figures but may be able to find out.

Although the show started using the main foyer of the building, as soon as it became clear that this was going to be a very popular, long-running programme, a new foyer was constructed at one end of the building, allowing the old foyer to become just a
    TV studio, which made life considerably easier and allowed it to expand into new areas and camera points were installed throughout.

After the show finished, the studio got used for quite a few other shows – most notably Good Morning... with Anne & Nick. There was some experimentation with putting polarising film on the windows and a polarising filter on the cameras, which allowed
    the brightness of the outside world to be adjusted by rotating the filter on the camera. This was very expensive and not very successful. The camera had to be roughly at 90 degrees to the glass for it to work satisfactorily, which severely limited the
    types of shots that could be used. I think it eventually got used for links in a small office, delivered by a static presenter, stuck behind a desk.

On Friday, 22 April 2022 at 11:09:43 UTC+1, NY wrote:
    "James French" <jamesk...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c6babc97-158e-4a96...@googlegroups.com...

A close eye was kept on the weather and there were enough HMIs permanently rigged to cope with the worst-case scenario (brilliant sunshine outside). During the 30 mins of line-up before the show’s transmission at 13:00, the
    sparks would be up ladders, adding or removing ND gels from the lamps, as necessary.

Of course, the TMs couldn’t always win, especially if the sun was going in
    and out during the programme, as the HMIs were not dimmable in those days. In which case, the racks engineers earned their money, trying to minimise the contrast problems.

They did a pretty fantastic job. I hadn't realised that the "studio" was lit as brightly as the outside: I'd assumed a permanent ND filter film on the windows to bring the outside down to normal studio lighting level, even if lighting was then adjusted to match variations in the day's daylight. How much more brightly was the foyer lit compared with normal (tungsten) studio lighting levels? I believe that some early TV cameras needed lighting that was roughly as bright as an overcast day outdoors, but that later cameras could produce good pictures in less bright conditions. I imagine that HMIs produce a lot less heat than tungsten ;-)

I bet if the programme was made nowadays, they'd sit the interviewees behind blue/green screens and "fake it" by overlaying a picture from outside ;-)

I wonder what logistical problems were caused for the rest of Pebble Mill when the foyer was out of bounds every lunchtime. I imagine there was a back route and an alternative visitors' reception desk that was off-camera.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Carver@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 11:18:25 2022
    On 22/04/2022 11:09, NY wrote:

I wonder what logistical problems were caused for the rest of Pebble
    Mill when the foyer was out of bounds every lunchtime. I imagine there
    was a back route and an alternative visitors' reception desk that was off-camera.
     Yes, there was. I went there in the  80s for a  job interview, which
    was at 1pm !!!  Had to use a side door.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From SimonM@21:1/5 to James French on Sun Apr 24 10:45:47 2022
    On 22/04/2022 11:28, James French wrote:
    For many years, there was another show running in the same 'studio' called Saturday Night at the Mill, which was broadcast after dark. It would have been impractical to add and remove ND/scrim from the windows.

In those days the cameras were fairly insensitive anyway, so the studios (where we made All Creatures Great & Small, Howard's Way etc etc) were lit with dual-source 5K lamps. However, of course, it was even brighter in the foyer. I can't give you exact
    figures but may be able to find out.

Although the show started using the main foyer of the building, as soon as it became clear that this was going to be a very popular, long-running programme, a new foyer was constructed at one end of the building, allowing the old foyer to become just a
    TV studio, which made life considerably easier and allowed it to expand into new areas and camera points were installed throughout.

After the show finished, the studio got used for quite a few other shows – most notably Good Morning... with Anne & Nick. There was some experimentation with putting polarising film on the windows and a polarising filter on the cameras, which allowed
    the brightness of the outside world to be adjusted by rotating the filter on the camera. This was very expensive and not very successful. The camera had to be roughly at 90 degrees to the glass for it to work satisfactorily, which severely limited the
    types of shots that could be used. I think it eventually got used for links in a small office, delivered by a static presenter, stuck behind a desk.

Do I remember correctly that one of the lighting
    TMs actually cracked one of the big (and thick)
    glass panes by putting a 5k outside too close to it?

Morally certain of the story, and I have a feeling
    it was one of the Wood Norton tutors, on
    attachment - name withheld to protect the
    (probably) guilty.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James French@21:1/5 to SimonM on Sun Apr 24 05:33:25 2022
    I think you are almost right.

My recollection is that we were doing a nighttime show and there was some kind of performance on the front lawn. In order to illuminate it, one 5K lamp was positioned inside the building but in the Long Gallery, not the Foyer, which had even higher and
    thicker panes of glass. The lamp was positioned too close to the glass and it cracked. A giant crane had to be brought in to replace it.

James French

On Sunday, 24 April 2022 at 10:45:49 UTC+1, SimonM wrote:
    On 22/04/2022 11:28, James French wrote:

In those days the cameras were fairly insensitive anyway, so the studios (where we made All Creatures Great & Small, Howard's Way etc etc) were lit with dual-source 5K lamps. However, of course, it was even brighter in the foyer. I can't give you
    exact figures but may be able to find out.

Although the show started using the main foyer of the building, as soon as it became clear that this was going to be a very popular, long-running programme, a new foyer was constructed at one end of the building, allowing the old foyer to become just
    a TV studio, which made life considerably easier and allowed it to expand into new areas and camera points were installed throughout.

After the show finished, the studio got used for quite a few other shows – most notably Good Morning... with Anne & Nick. There was some experimentation with putting polarising film on the windows and a polarising filter on the cameras, which
    allowed the brightness of the outside world to be adjusted by rotating the filter on the camera. This was very expensive and not very successful. The camera had to be roughly at 90 degrees to the glass for it to work satisfactorily, which severely
    limited the types of shots that could be used. I think it eventually got used for links in a small office, delivered by a static presenter, stuck behind a desk.
    Do I remember correctly that one of the lighting
    TMs actually cracked one of the big (and thick)
    glass panes by putting a 5k outside too close to it?

Morally certain of the story, and I have a feeling
    it was one of the Wood Norton tutors, on
    attachment - name withheld to protect the
    (probably) guilty.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05