• 80 m "Little Bilsdale" mast - is polar diagram known yet?

From NY@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 18 21:08:45 2021
    Is it known yet what directions the 80 metre temporary Bilsdale mast will broadcast in? Is the intention that Sutton Bank will continue to do SW and S (Ripon/Harrogate/Thirsk, and York), and that Bilsdale 80 will do W/NW and SE (Leyburn and Malton/Norton areas respectively)?

We went for a walk today from the car park at OS grid SE564888 on the Helmsley-Chop Gate road to the trig point at SE588906 (NE of car park) and there was a good view of Bilsdale from there once you get higher and clear
    of the trees in the foreground. From that position, about 4 miles away, the mast looked fine - the bulge and the blackened patches weren't apparent. I could just make out (without binoculars) some white patches on the horizon slightly to the left (south) of "Big Bilsdale" so I imagine those are the foundations/sledges of the 80 m "Little Bilsdale" mast.

If the old mast has to be brought down by explosively cutting some of the
    guy ropes, I bet a lot of the locals (and TV crews) will be on the vantage points around to see it happen. I hope Arqiva play fair and announce a time that they keep to, unlike the times when power station cooling towers are
    blown up at unsocial hours, and then often earlier than the time announced because the don't want people too close if there's risk of airborne debris
    (or maybe they are just killjoys!).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From williamwright@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 19 00:37:42 2021
    On 18/09/2021 21:08, NY wrote:
    Is it known yet what directions the 80 metre temporary Bilsdale mast
    will broadcast in? Is the intention that Sutton Bank will continue to do
    SW and S (Ripon/Harrogate/Thirsk, and York), and that Bilsdale 80 will
    do W/NW and SE (Leyburn and Malton/Norton areas respectively)?

Given the very poor decision to transmit almost no power to the areas
    that need it most (because they can't use Emley), I'd believe anything.

Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Gaff (Sofa)@21:1/5 to me@privacy.invalid on Sun Sep 19 16:00:37 2021
    No I think it is a safety thing, normally you would be surprised how stupid members of the public can be. On Helicopter ER last night they had to go
    around twice due to dick heads blundering into the cleared landing area.
    Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
    The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
    briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    Blind user, so no pictures please
    Note this Signature is meaningless.!
    "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
    news:si5h03$4o6$1@dont-email.me...
    Is it known yet what directions the 80 metre temporary Bilsdale mast will broadcast in? Is the intention that Sutton Bank will continue to do SW and
    S (Ripon/Harrogate/Thirsk, and York), and that Bilsdale 80 will do W/NW
    and SE (Leyburn and Malton/Norton areas respectively)?

We went for a walk today from the car park at OS grid SE564888 on the Helmsley-Chop Gate road to the trig point at SE588906 (NE of car park) and there was a good view of Bilsdale from there once you get higher and clear
    of the trees in the foreground. From that position, about 4 miles away,
    the mast looked fine - the bulge and the blackened patches weren't
    apparent. I could just make out (without binoculars) some white patches on the horizon slightly to the left (south) of "Big Bilsdale" so I imagine
    those are the foundations/sledges of the 80 m "Little Bilsdale" mast.

If the old mast has to be brought down by explosively cutting some of the
    guy ropes, I bet a lot of the locals (and TV crews) will be on the vantage points around to see it happen. I hope Arqiva play fair and announce a
    time that they keep to, unlike the times when power station cooling towers are blown up at unsocial hours, and then often earlier than the time announced because the don't want people too close if there's risk of
    airborne debris (or maybe they are just killjoys!).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05