• "Lane Control" in the Hindhead Tunnel

From graham.dash@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ajin4...@gmail.com on Fri May 10 02:38:59 2019
    On Monday, 5 February 2018 13:41:15 UTC, ajin4...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 12:51:33 UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
    Why do so many people appear to think that this means that whichever lane they enter the tunnel in, they have to *stay* in?

It's bad enough that so many see the "average speed cameras sign" and don't
    know what the speed limit is so they dither through the whole thing at 40-50mph, but even worse when they're in the 2nd lane and refuse to move over. It needs a sign reminding people of the speed limit and a sign saying
    "You're allowed to change lanes in the tunnel".

For the uninitiated: It is more hazardous to start lane changing within a tunnel than anywhere else, this is where collisions occur (I will not call them accidents). The speed limit should be adhered to within the tunnel, and in the case of the
    Hindhead tunnel this has been risk assessed as 50mph. The yellow ‘SPECS’ cameras at the entry and exit portals are there to enhance this. Just remember that this is just a short tunnel by European standards and you will very soon be in the ‘fresh
    air’ again where you can once again travel at 70mph.

The speed limit in the Hindhead Tunnel is 70, not 50 - all signs are derestriction signs unless a lower limit has been set for one reason or another. There is definitely NOT a standard 50mph signed limit in the tunnel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JNugent@21:1/5 to graham.dash@gmail.com on Sat May 11 10:03:31 2019
    On 10/05/2019 10:38, graham.dash@gmail.com wrote:

Why do so many people appear to think that this means that whichever lane >>> they enter the tunnel in, they have to *stay* in?
    It's bad enough that so many see the "average speed cameras sign" and don't >>> know what the speed limit is so they dither through the whole thing at
    40-50mph, but even worse when they're in the 2nd lane and refuse to move >>> over. It needs a sign reminding people of the speed limit and a sign saying >>> "You're allowed to change lanes in the tunnel".

For the uninitiated: It is more hazardous to start lane changing within a tunnel than anywhere else, this is where collisions occur (I will not call them accidents). The speed limit should be adhered to within the tunnel, and in the case of the
    Hindhead tunnel this has been risk assessed as 50mph. The yellow ‘SPECS’ cameras at the entry and exit portals are there to enhance this. Just remember that this is just a short tunnel by European standards and you will very soon be in the ‘fresh
    air’ again where you can once again travel at 70mph.

The speed limit in the Hindhead Tunnel is 70, not 50 - all signs are derestriction signs unless a lower limit has been set for one reason or another. There is definitely NOT a standard 50mph signed limit in the tunnel

Confirmed.

I was down in Hants a couple of weeks ago - probably only the third time
    I've used the (new-ish) A3 tunnel.

I couldn't remember whether the limit was NSL or something lower. But it
    was NSL, although ISTR that on a previous trip (perhaps during a busier period), I did encounter a (temporary) 50 limit there.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 11 15:17:42 2019
    On Sat, 11 May 2019 10:03:31 +0100, JNugent <jenningsltd@fastmail.fm>
    wrote:

On 10/05/2019 10:38, graham.dash@gmail.com wrote:

Why do so many people appear to think that this means that whichever lane >>>> they enter the tunnel in, they have to *stay* in?
    It's bad enough that so many see the "average speed cameras sign" and don't
    know what the speed limit is so they dither through the whole thing at >>>> 40-50mph, but even worse when they're in the 2nd lane and refuse to move >>>> over. It needs a sign reminding people of the speed limit and a sign saying
    "You're allowed to change lanes in the tunnel".

Hindhead tunnel this has been risk assessed as 50mph. The yellow ‘SPECS’ cameras at the entry and exit portals are there to enhance this. Just remember that this is just a short tunnel by European standards and you will very soon be in the ‘fresh air’
    again where you can once again travel at 70mph.

Confirmed.

I was down in Hants a couple of weeks ago - probably only the third time
    I've used the (new-ish) A3 tunnel.

I couldn't remember whether the limit was NSL or something lower. But it
    was NSL, although ISTR that on a previous trip (perhaps during a busier >period), I did encounter a (temporary) 50 limit there.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1230359,-0.715933,3a,17y,182.03h,94.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDQPAJtMSJ_x-lA5oUb6adg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

(Maybe it was 50mph when it first opened.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05