• OFF-TOPIC TROLLING by MAY SUN: "Moment spooked horse throws rider as cy

From JNugent@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Wed Jan 31 15:06:42 2024
    On 31/01/2024 01:38 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

ALWAYS LEAVE HORSES PLENTY OF ROOM!

============================

A Hull woman was thrown from her horse when a motorcyclist crashed in front of them while attempting to overtake.

The 33-year-old woman, who asked not wish to be named, said she was left "in agony" after the incident in Kesteven Way, Kingswood. She was riding alongside her mother at the time.

Footage taken on a helmet cam shows the moped-rider attempting to pass despite there being little room because of a traffic island. He then hits a curb and comes off the bike directly in front of the horses. In the footage, the woman's horse spins
    around, dismounting her, before bolting down the road.
    The woman's mother managed to stay in the saddle and was able to rescue the loose horse before it could run into traffic. The woman said the fall had left her with "bruising to the stomach and muscular damage", but she was "slowly getting better".

Following the incident, which happened at around 10.30am on New Year's Day, the woman spoke to Humberside Police, who tracked down and spoke to the motorcyclist. However, she said that no further action was taken after the the moped-rider, who was
    displaying an 'L' plate, apologised.

"I reported it when I got home to the police," she said. "A couple of days later I got a call saying it was being investigated and an officer went to the gentleman's house and they wouldn't take it further because he was 'very sorry."

Now, the woman is calling on road-users to take heed of guidance from the "Pass Wide and Slow" campaign, which aims to improve the safety of horse riders on public roads. Clause 215 of the Highway Code states: "Be particularly careful of horse riders
    and horse-drawn vehicles especially when approaching, overtaking, passing or moving away. Always pass wide and slowly.

"When you see a horse on a road, you should slow down to a maximum of 10mph. Be patient, do not sound your horn or rev your engine. When safe to do so, pass wide and slow, allowing at least two metres of space."

Sergeant Julie Fenton, a community patrol officer, told Hull Live: “It was reported that a motorcyclist had fallen off his bike whilst attempting to overtake two horse riders on horses. The horses were reportedly spooked by the incident, fleeing the
    area and causing one of the riders to fall.

“Thankfully, no one was seriously injured. However, the motorcyclist was identified and spoken to by officers following the incident. I’d like to take this opportunity to remind all road users to please drive carefully and be considerate of others,
    especially vulnerable road users such as horse riders.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/moment-spooked-horse-throws-rider-9065272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Keller@21:1/5 to JNugent on Thu Feb 1 12:51:53 2024
    On 1/02/24 04:06, JNugent wrote:
    On 31/01/2024 01:38 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

ALWAYS LEAVE HORSES PLENTY OF ROOM!

This is why whenever I am on my bike and see a horse and rider ahead of
    me I ring the bell while I am still about about 50 metres behind them,
    and approach slowly to make sure the rider has control and the horse is
    not surprised. Horses' hearing is quite acute.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)