• Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running

From JNugent@21:1/5 to Simon Mason on Thu Jan 11 10:25:01 2024
    On 10/01/2024 08:59 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

WELL DONE!
    Taxi drivers in Brighton and Hove say they are being fined for keeping their engines running in order to keep warm while at taxi ranks.
    Motorists in the city can now be issued with fines of up to £40 if they leave their vehicles running when parked.
    The city council said it would not be issuing fines to taxi drivers keeping warm while at taxi ranks.

I that case, the tickets will be cancelled on appeal (as well they
    should be).

Brighton & Hove Cab Trade Association said wardens seemed to be unaware of these exceptions.
    Andrew Peters, chair of the association, said: "I had a phone call from a driver who said he was on a rank in East Street at 06:30 and he was issued with a penalty notice for running his engine while trying to keep warm."
    He told BBC Radio Sussex: "I had a driver who told me that he had a conversation with one of the wardens, and he had no idea [about the exceptions]."
    He said some drivers may start to boycott taxi ranks in the city.
    "The council is going to have to have common sense."
    Tim Rowkins, Labour chairman of the city council's environmental committee, said: "We take a common sense approach to enforcement so there are exemptions including those which take into consideration severe weather and the health and safety of the
    driver or passengers."
    He added: "However, taxi drivers seen idling their engines whilst stationary at a taxi rank with their windows open or vacant from their vehicle would be expected to comply with the instruction to turn off their engine, since the defence of keeping
    warm would not apply."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67923067

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)